post #361 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonDono View Post

People keep saying that the Sony bulbs are much cheaper than the JVC bulbs. But Pureland has the Sony bulb for $589 and the JVC bulb for $442. The bulb for the RS45 is the same as the RS40, yes? This is an important consideration for me. We use the projector as our full time tv. At least 3k hours a year. What am i missing?
Thanks,
Jason

jason - this isn't correct. The Sony lamp is approx 1/2 the cost of the JVC lamp. Contact Mike, Mark or Benito @ AVS for the best prices on these lamps.

FYI - there is NO aftermarket lamp for the 2011-2012 model JVC's. There has been confusion by several aftermarket lamp vendors who thought the Philips lamps in the RS25/35 was the same, which it isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
zombie are you going to order the mini 3d lumagon ? If so I cant wait to hear your impressions. Im thinking of ordering one too.
post #363 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

zombie are you going to order the mini 3d lumagon ? If so I cant wait to hear your impressions. Im thinking of ordering one too.

I'll likely order it before the end of the month, I just have to verify it's going to work with my HTPC as the source for 3D content. I already have Chromapure + a good meter calibrated by Tom, so I like the idea of auto-cal, vs. the painstaking process of configuring the JVC CMS.
post #364 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post

Called Benito yesterday. He said my RS45 will be shipping soon even though I just preordered a couple weeks ago. Asked him about 2:35to1 screens for this proj. Anyone planning on zooming with this proj. ? Do you think that will work well with 3D?

I am zooming with the projector, and I believe that many others here are, too. I think most 3D is 1.87 or 16/9, so zooming wouldn't be used much with it. Also, when you zoom, you're dropping the brightness quite a bit. Having said that, it still may work very well depending on your setup.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #365 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 20
Just to be clear, we are calling everbody now to confirm orders (from pre orders) and take cc numbers. We will not charge your card until we have shipping confirmation that yours is on its way to us. We expect to receive enough to pretty much fill all orders very soon but we are not elevating people higher than you place on the pre order list and when you will be charged and shipped depends on when we get tracking that yours is coming to use and we will ship it when it arrives. Do not worry if you have not been called. There are lots of calls to make. But if you send one of our crack sales team members an email, they will at least call you back pretty much right away to get your final info, but it won't get you one sooner. Thanks to all.
post #366 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

just over 100, were are you getting these from?

Yeah I'd love to know too. Some how I don't think we'll get a response though.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #367 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

I have repeatedly stated that a Lumagen will raise the level of almost any projector even if one didn't use the CMS system at all...All sorts of noise and sharpness and texture controls. Ring free scaling and man does that make an obvious improvement. Deinterlacing with incredible sharpness.

I know you watch a lot of sports and all of this may be very useful, but would a person need any of that if all they watch is BD?

Noah
post #368 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I know you watch a lot of sports and all of this may be very useful, but would a person need any of that if all they watch is BD?

I don't watch any sport (well perhaps an F1 GP once a year) yet still find good use for one myself. Being able to tweak the gamma/greyscale in 21 points allow for some detailed adjustments: I could never get good shadow detail and retain the lowest black level on my HD350, but the Mini3D allows this due to the parametric greyscale/gamma adjustment. On dark film scenes I can see detail where there used to be murk...even though the blacks aren't any darker I find it preferable to see detail in these areas as it seems to disguise the poorer black level of my older model.

I also prefer to set the JVC sharpness and detail enhance controls to '0' as I've seen them effect motion smoothness: In the Mini3D there are 6 controls for this and in smaller steps, so I can set each of these differently for each different input (and different resolutions within those inputs if I prefer, so SD scenes/trailers can have different settings than the 1080/24p or 60i main feature for example. I also use the single pixel step masking to trim my image to exactly match my screen (I use an A lens), plus the vertical stretch (which works in 3D if I was so equiped).

If you don't have a lens and prefer to zoom, you can even setup a spare memory that will allow an instant one button aspect ratio change from 16:9 menus to 2.35:1 main features (if you have a scope screen for example). Admitedly 16:9 is 'shrunk' so at a lower resolution, but it's instant and you can always use your 1:1 pixel mapped memory and rezoom the lens for 16:9 films. It's so much quicker than waiting for a lens memory to sort itself out.

There are so many other things I could write, but I'm starting to sound like a Lumagen rep (I'm not BTW ), but you don't need to use the upscaling and deinterlacing to benefit from the Mini3D.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #369 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I dont know where your looking but the jvc bulb can be had for a tad over 100

A genuine OEM lamp for $100? Doubtful, but PM me lol

"Now a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it.."
post #370 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

If you don't have a lens and prefer to zoom, you can even setup a spare memory that will allow an instant one button aspect ratio change from 16:9 menus to 2.35:1 main features (if you have a scope screen for example). Admitedly 16:9 is 'shrunk' so at a lower resolution, but it's instant and you can always use your 1:1 pixel mapped memory and rezoom the lens for 16:9 films. It's so much quicker than waiting for a lens memory to sort itself out.

Kelvin.. can you elaborate more on this? I plan to do zoom, and I had a Lumagen XD. I thought I would be using lens memory on the JVC to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1... Seems like you say there is a better way to do so?
Say I have a scope screen, and I zoom it in such that the black bars fall outside the screen.. For that, i assume I will have to set the Lumagen to 16:9 screen aspect ratio, because I am "technically" using a 16:9 screen but I just ignore the black bars... Now, what buttons/setting that will allow me to go back to 16:9 format without lens memory on JVC? Many thanks.
post #371 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Liked: 10
Today I paid for mine.. Should be getting it by mid next week.. I need to figure out so many things from here on as what mount to get and what screen size, what AV table to suit.. I am bit nervous about all these choices and decisions to make..

Also thinking of Lumagen Mini.. lets see..

Everybody wants to go to heaven. But nobody wants to die.
post #372 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM

I hope I get my call soon........
post #373 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Kelvin.. can you elaborate more on this? I plan to do zoom, and I had a Lumagen XD. I thought I would be using lens memory on the JVC to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1... Seems like you say there is a better way to do so?
Say I have a scope screen, and I zoom it in such that the black bars fall outside the screen.. For that, i assume I will have to set the Lumagen to 16:9 screen aspect ratio, because I am "technically" using a 16:9 screen but I just ignore the black bars... Now, what buttons/setting that will allow me to go back to 16:9 format without lens memory on JVC? Many thanks.

It's not technically 'better' because you end up with 16:9 displayed at approx 1400 x 800 resolution, but the point is that it's instant.

It's done by setting up two otherwise identical memories on the Lumagen both using 16:9 aspect. You change AR by selecting one of these two memories (a single button press, no menus to navigate and completely instant with no on screen notices). One memory (for example 'mem A') is just the standard 1:1 pixel mapped (assuming it's a 1080 input) the other (' mem B' in this example) has the 16:9 setting adjusted to 'shrink' the active image down to approx 1400 x 800: If you imagine a 16:9 image surrounded on all four sides with black bars.

With the projector already zoomed for 2.35:1 to fill the width of the 2.35:1 screen you select AR by chosing mem A for the main 2.35:1 feature and mem B for the 'shrunk' 16:9 setting for menus and trailers.

Using mem B, the black bars spill off the top and bottom of the screen, but you also have side bars too. The 16:9 image fits within the height of the 2.35:1 screen, just at lower resolution. When you then change to mem A the 2.35:1 image's top and bottom black bars still spill over the top and bottom of the screen, but the image now fills the width of the screen perfectly (normal 2.35:1 zooming like you'd get without the Lumagen in place).

It saves needlessly zooming in and out for menus, etc then when you start the film itself, so it's less intrusive, if the film is 2.35:1. You use the 'shrunk' memory for the menus and trailers and then select the 1:1 mapped one as the main film starts. If you are going to watch a 16:9 film (likely 1.85:1) then this is where you would use the zoom memory and use the 1:1 pixel mapped mem A memory on the Lumagen (no point wasting resolution for a whole film, though some do this).

It's one of those things that's harder to explain than it is to show someone.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #374 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
For the die hard folks, the best 16:9 to 2.35 solution is probably a motorized screen, an A-lens, or a motorized masking solution, but they each have advantages/disadvantages.

All other solutions are secondary to those I think, but I've never tried A-lens or masking myself. I always wanted to try the motorized screen method.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #375 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright!!! Toe just picked up my RS45 and his from our dealer in Denver today Friday 12/2. I am in Houston this week through Sunday but I will be picking my Rs45 from TOE (Todd) Sunday night as soon as I land at DIA For the record, we could have also gotten them on Wednesday 11/30 when they arrived at the warehouse, but timing was tough since I am out of town.

TOE,
Thanks for picking up my baby and keeping him warm and indoors away from the 11 inches of snow we have gotten lately.

P.S: who is going to start the RS45/X30 Owner's thread? I will be the first to say Not It!!! :P
post #376 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Alright!!! Toe just picked up my RS45 and his from our dealer in Denver today Friday 12/2. I am in Houston this week through Sunday but I will be picking my Rs45 from TOE (Todd) Sunday night as soon as I land at DIA For the record, we could have also gotten them on Wednesday 11/30 when they arrived at the warehouse, but timing was tough since I am out of town.

TOE,
Thanks for picking up my baby and keeping him warm and indoors away from the 11 inches of snow we have gotten lately.

P.S: who is going to start the RS45/X30 Owner's thread? I will be the first to say Not It!!! :P

Congrats Damnsam and Toe! I'm sure you guys are gonna let us know how the 45 compares to the 40. Oh by the way, isn't this thread the rs45/x30 owner's thread?
post #377 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

TOE,

We are 2 proud new fathers Sam my friend! They both weighed in exactly the same at 32.85lbs! Your baby has the best bed in the house until you get here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Congrats Damnsam and Toe! I'm sure you guys are gonna let us know how the 45 compares to the 40. Oh by the way, isn't this thread the rs45/x30 owner's thread?

The OP should just change the thread title so it is the official owners thread.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #378 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Toe, you going to post some first impressions tonight ?
post #379 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

We are 2 proud new fathers Sam my friend! They both weighed in exactly the same at 32.85lbs! Your baby has the best bed in the house until you get here!

The OP should just change the thread title so it is the official owners thread.

can you hurry up and hook yours up and give us slugs a bone tonight? Ill be checking this thread to see your impressions tonight. Im not asking too much am I? lol Make sure you compare it against last years RS40. nOW STOP READING AND HURRY.
post #380 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah..Yeah..don't hold back Toe, give us the juicy tid bits!! Damn you UPS!! I want my RS45!!!
post #381 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually lightly debating on pushing my RS-45 order back and letting someone else take my spot, will decide by Monday.

I'm considering the Benq w7000 as an alternative, but I haven't decided yet.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #382 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I'm actually lightly debating on pushing my RS-45 order back and letting someone else take my spot, will decide by Monday.

I'm considering the Benq w7000 as an alternative, but I haven't decided yet.

That's cool..I'll let you test my RS45 and you let me play with the Benq w7000.
post #383 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm game for a test swapping if I decide on the Benq, so now I guess I have a new decision to make. I'd really like to see a JVC RS-45 next with the superior black levels, but I'd also love to experience the superior optics of the Benq.

I'd just buy both and sell the other if I was confident enough in a zero chance of loss, but I know when selling something there is always a chance of fraud and a lot of people don't want to escrow :P

post #384 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Yeah..Yeah..don't hold back Toe, give us the juicy tid bits!! Damn you UPS!! I want my RS45!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Toe, you going to post some first impressions tonight ?

Quote:

can you hurry up and hook yours up and give us slugs a bone tonight? Ill be checking this thread to see your impressions tonight. Im not asking too much am I? lol Make sure you compare it against last years RS40. nOW STOP READING AND HURRY.

So much pressure!

My 40 shipped out to its new buyer a few weeks ago, so whatever comparisons are going to be from memory which is pretty worthless, but I will throw some out there anyway

I will do my best, but it might not be until tom morn now before I get rolling.......a little tied up at the moment. I will check in as soon as I have some info to share.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #385 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

I've seen some people mention that JVC has gone on record as saying the bulb failures were not as prevalent in the general population of owners as they seem to have been amongst AVS users. I've also seen mention of the idea that perhaps JVC is unaware of the alarming amount of bulb failures which have been reported by users here on the avs forums, implying that JVC is not in the know about the AVS forums.

Well out of curiousity last night I contacted:

Display Division National Sales Manager:
Bill Birdsall

and asked him if he could give me the contact info for a local JVC authorized dealer around my area (for some reason when I put my zip code into JVC's dealer locator online it simply gave me Mr. Birdsall's info). Well to my surprise Mr. Birdsall simply told me to contact AVS and order from them. He asked if I was aware of the AVS forums and I said of course and he then suggested ordering from them. So this without a doubt means that JVC is familar with the AVS forums.... whether or not they monitor them to see how their projector owners are talking about their products I do not know, but they are surely aware of the forums.

Just thought I'd share that info.

I don't think they check in anymore. Some might glance in, but I doubt anyone from JVC wants to post from the way they have been treated in the past. I believe there are other manufacturers that feel the same way.

AVS was probably recommended because they move a lot of product and have excellent customer service.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #386 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 PM

will something like this work for the RS45 and be stable enough as well as provide enough clearance from rear wall?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Would I need any other parts or would this be all I need?

This is my first PJ and I already have that slight paranoia (despite not even having the thing in my hands yet) that I had when I first wall-mounted my expensive plasma a few years back . So just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks,
Rukus
post #387 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

will something like this work for the RS45 and be stable enough as well as provide enough clearance from rear wall?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Would I need any other parts or would this be all I need?

This is my first PJ and I already have that slight paranoia (despite not even having the thing in my hands yet) that I had when I first wall-mounted my expensive plasma a few years back . So just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks,
Rukus

I did not read the info on that mount, but I wonder if it just uses friction to maintain projector alignment. If so then your sub/subs might make the projector move out of alignment. I know that my four subs probably would move it. Also wiping dust off the projector, changing the filter or lamp changes would mess up the alignment if it does not have set screws.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #388 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I did not read the info on that mount, but I wonder if it just uses friction to maintain projector alignment. If so then your sub/subs might make the projector move out of alignment. I know that my four subs probably would move it. Also wiping dust off the projector, changing the filter or lamp changes would mess up the alignment if it does not have set screws.

Mike, appreciate the heads up on that, would never have even thought of it!
It does seem to mention positioning and locking screws to keep the angles, tilt, etc in place now that you've given me reason to check into it carefully.

Of course I never intend to do a sale away from AVS in the AV product arena given what they provide here and the great deals/pricing provided on products, but didn't seem to see what I needed in the online store, hence why I went over to monoprice. Do you guys sell wall mounts or just ceiling mounts only?
post #389 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So much pressure!

My 40 shipped out to its new buyer a few weeks ago, so whatever comparisons are going to be from memory which is pretty worthless, but I will throw some out there anyway

I will do my best, but it might not be until tom morn now before I get rolling.......a little tied up at the moment. I will check in as soon as I have some info to share.

If not A/B'n, then it is very difficult to compare two projectors that are so similar.
You might be able to see something though, we'll see what you think.

post #390 of 4457 Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

We are 2 proud new fathers Sam my friend!...

What are you thinking!?! While you have the chance you are going to have to compare BOTH projectors and take the best. Sam is going to say this is the best projector ever no matter which one you give him.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page