post #4501 of 4529 Old 12-28-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
The first one didn't have the Mod 003 flapper and the second looked like it may not have it either. I think the flapper is critical to long life as it provides better cooling to the bulb.
Ok so this is for cooling only? My PJ is outside of the room. I have a 13'' high velocity fan placed next to the PJ for cooling. So as long as cooling is not an issue is there anything else I need to consider?

Does anyone know of a 3rd party mnfr that makes theirs with the flap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4529 Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The 2nd one you posted does have the flapper...
IF you get one please let us know how it works out as I'll be very interested to see as that's a dam good price for a bulb.

FYI,
I had a bulb from AVS with the flapper and it lasted only 750hrs before it was completely DEAD!
I sure hope it was defective!
Of course the good folks at AVS (Mike) replaced it so I'm looking forward to see how many hours I do with the replacement.

Like you I really don't like spending $400 on a bulb...it's so ridiculous at that price!

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #4503 of 4529 Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I just pulled the trigger on the second one with the flapper for $140 and change. It will be here on Tuesday and I will let you guys know how it goes...........
post #4504 of 4529 Old 01-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Ok I just pulled the trigger on the second one with the flapper for $140 and change. It will be here on Tuesday and I will let you guys know how it goes...........
Looking forward to your review.

"GUESS WHAT?!! I've got a fever. And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL
post #4505 of 4529 Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 PM

For the guys that tune with Chomapure or other software and a colorimeter - how have you guys fared with getting the color set properly without CMS?

Sadly I'm seeing that no matter what I do with color or tint, I can't get the primary and secondary colors any closer to 0. If I choose Red and Magenta, or blue and cyan to use when adjusting color and tint, the other pri/sec just go further away from 0. So I've almost considered just leaving it alone and leaving color and tint alone.

I have the color gamut graphs if anyone would like to compare.

Thanks for any info provided.

"GUESS WHAT?!! I've got a fever. And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL
post #4506 of 4529 Old 01-01-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojr74 View Post
For the guys that tune with Chomapure or other software and a colorimeter - how have you guys fared with getting the color set properly without CMS?

Sadly I'm seeing that no matter what I do with color or tint, I can't get the primary and secondary colors any closer to 0. If I choose Red and Magenta, or blue and cyan to use when adjusting color and tint, the other pri/sec just go further away from 0. So I've almost considered just leaving it alone and leaving color and tint alone.

I have the color gamut graphs if anyone would like to compare.

Thanks for any info provided.
I have a well known ISF calibrator who has done several of my projectors. He asked not to be asked when I bought my RS40. He said they were too unpredictable and hard to calibrate. Probably because of problems like you describe.

Jack
post #4507 of 4529 Old 01-02-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the bulb came on Tuesday and I installed it. I have been watching many hours of football over the last several days and so far so good. Here is the page from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is stated to be the original bulb with 3rd party housing. It does look different than the original I pulled out. I verified that it does have the flapper.

I will try to post some pictures of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As far as the picture is concerned it looks the same to my eyes compared to the old bulb before it dimmed. I cannot say for sure what the long term reliability will be of course. But, at $140 I saved quite a bit compared to the common asking price of $399 for the official housing. If the bulbs flakes out on me I will try to post about it here.
Fatshaft likes this.
post #4508 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Thanks so much for sharing that!
I for one really appreciate it and am looking forward to it's performance over time!
The lamp is different than the original...the back of the lamp is all ceramic from the looks of your pics.

Please, pretty please, keep us posted!

thanks in advance

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #4509 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
I for one really appreciate it and am looking forward to it's performance over time!
The lamp is different than the original...the back of the lamp is all ceramic from the looks of your pics.

thanks in advance
Agreed. I bought a "same lamp, different housing" bulb for my projector before my JVC, and it was great for about a month or so, and then dimmed SO fast. Lost a lot of contrast when it dimmed too. It was something like $100 when a real replacement was $300, so I dealt with it back then...
post #4510 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I'm with others in thanking you jedimastergrant for posting. Good find again and fingers crossed that this will last you as long as the original.

Looking forward to future updates.

Side question - Have you calibrated your projector? If so, what platform are you using and can you compare lumen output of the original vs the new bulb?

post #4511 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

thanks in advance
No problem. I will let you guys know if it goes south.
post #4512 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Agreed. I bought a "same lamp, different housing" bulb for my projector before my JVC, and it was great for about a month or so, and then dimmed SO fast. Lost a lot of contrast when it dimmed too. It was something like $100 when a real replacement was $300, so I dealt with it back then...
Oh boy. Really afraid this is going to happen to me. It does look quite a bit different. In fact when I compared the two before putting the replacement in I was half expecting it to not even function at all.
post #4513 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm with others in thanking you jedimastergrant for posting. Good find again and fingers crossed that this will last you as long as the original.

Side question - Have you calibrated your projector? If so, what platform are you using and can you compare lumen output of the original vs the new bulb?
I have not had a professional calibration. But, I did have a friend who has taken the THX calibration course do my PJ for me. It was not a full on calibration because he had since sold his spectrometer and whatever else he uses. But, he did have the disk and I'm sure it is better than nothing.

When I first got my PJ I watched it in Cinema mode for several months and did not know how it could improve. Then after Luke came over to calibrate and I switched between Cinema and User 1 it was an obvious difference for the better.

It was always my intention to get a pro calibration from Jeff Meier of accucalhd. User name umr on avs. He only lives a few hours from me and I even set it up over the phone and everything last summer. Then I put it on hold because I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with audio calibration and considered buying a manual EQ solution before he came up so it could be done all at once.

Well, then I started having dimming problems and it made no sense to do it after that. Now with my 3rd party housing bulb I am left wondering if it will dim too quickly to get any use out of the calibration. So that kinda stinks. Luke has talked about buying his equipment and getting back into calibration so if he does I will have him calibrate mine. If not I will go with accucalhd.

But, I have also played around with the idea of getting a different PJ because my light output is most likely just barely within the 13-17 ft lamberts often cited. My screen is the EN4K with a .9 gain. Wonderful screen but I did not do a good job planning the whole system and bought the PJ like 2 years before my dedicated room was finished. At the time I was not planning a dedicated room and then it took quite a bit longer to complete than I anticipated. So I bought the EN4K with the plans to pair it with a 4K light cannon at some point. But, now I am lusting after the eShift tech since real 4K content could be a ways off. Also, the new PJ's have more light output but I don't know exactly how much. Thankfully my room has full light control with black fabric over the entire proscenium.
post #4514 of 4529 Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So is there an inexpensive but barely adequate light meter I can use to measure the brightness I am getting. I am pretty worried about it now. Brightness is one of those things that it hard to notice if it is going slowly over time. I paid a pretty penny for my room so I don't want to compromise on that. But I just could not help myself when I saw the price of this bulb so I took a chance.
post #4515 of 4529 Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have a well known ISF calibrator who has done several of my projectors. He asked not to be asked when I bought my RS40. He said they were too unpredictable and hard to calibrate. Probably because of problems like you describe.
Doh! - that's really depressing

Anyone else out there also have the same experience?

post #4516 of 4529 Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sad but true.

Jack
post #4517 of 4529 Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I did my own calibration (twice actually) and there was a noticeable positive improvement both times. I am pushing the JVC-RS45 to a 138" 16:9 Seymour XD screen, so nominal gain, and a pretty big screen. My throw isn't close for best results either (at about 18 feet, maybe 19 feet). The first calibration was after about 400 hours and the details in the dark scenes greatly improved, and the image just seemed to have a little more "pop." I did it again at about 1000 hours and the improvement wasn't as great as the first time, but still positively noticeable.

I was just using the free HCFR software with an i1 Display 2 colorimeter, so nothing fancy and I had no previous experience with calibration. It wasn't super easy, the first time (I went through all of the steps, and then did a factory reset on the projector and started over with a bit more confidence), but there are some step by step tutorials out there to help.

You can't adjust the colors themselves, but adjusting the grayscale made a big difference. Other experienced the same thing a long time ago in this thread too.
post #4518 of 4529 Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I should have mentioned this earlier when talking about brightness levels but my screen size is only 110" wide. So it is not too difficult to light up with an acceptable brightness. I sit 9-9.5ft away and that gives me a large viewing angle.
post #4519 of 4529 Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Jedimastergrant,

How is that cheap bulb doing? We all want to know!
Fatshaft likes this.

Jack
post #4520 of 4529 Old 01-19-2015, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Calibration

Quote:

I have the Calman 5 Enthusiast with C6 meter (also have an older Color Munki Design spectro). Using the autocal feature, the only color that does not have dE of less than 3 is blue, which fortunately is the least noticeable. Looking back at some past reviews, my results are typical of others. True, there is no CMS, but the colors fall right in place.
As far as brightness goes, I shoot for 16fL and am using a 110" Carada BW (gain 1.0). I use high bulb, -10 iris and is plenty bright in the basement no windows.
post #4521 of 4529 Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
I have the Calman 5 Enthusiast with C6 meter (also have an older Color Munki Design spectro). Using the autocal feature, the only color that does not have dE of less than 3 is blue, which fortunately is the least noticeable. Looking back at some past reviews, my results are typical of others. True, there is no CMS, but the colors fall right in place.
As far as brightness goes, I shoot for 16fL and am using a 110" Carada BW (gain 1.0). I use high bulb, -10 iris and is plenty bright in the basement no windows.
kkpro,

Could you post your calibrated settings? Although many have said it does no good I have found the opposite. Maybe your settings will remove the blue tint I have on my JVC.

Jack
post #4522 of 4529 Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I will look tonight. Usually, though calibrations from 1 projector to the next are not real accurate because we have different screens and room conditions which affect the over all calibration.
However, iff your JVC has a blue tint, that means you are selecting too "cold" of a temp. For example, if you have selected 7000K as your starting point, try 6500. That will reduce the blue tint.
What are your starting settings?
I believe I use either Natural, or Cinema (both are very close) mode.
Temp, I think is 6500.
Gamma 2.5
The default color, not the expanded ones.
Also, make sure of which HDMI mode you are in, normal or enhanced.
post #4523 of 4529 Old 01-19-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
I will look tonight. Usually, though calibrations from 1 projector to the next are not real accurate because we have different screens and room conditions which affect the over all calibration.
However, iff your JVC has a blue tint, that means you are selecting too "cold" of a temp. For example, if you have selected 7000K as your starting point, try 6500. That will reduce the blue tint.
What are your starting settings?
I believe I use either Natural, or Cinema (both are very close) mode.
Temp, I think is 6500.
Gamma 2.5
The default color, not the expanded ones.
Also, make sure of which HDMI mode you are in, normal or enhanced.
I will look into the hdmi setting. I tried setting mine at 5500 and that didn't seem to have any effect. Send me your detail when you can. Thanks.

Jack
post #4524 of 4529 Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM

I use the i1 Display pro and Chromapure software. Ideally the software wants you to get all primary (red,green,blue) and secondary colors (magenta,yellow,cyan) as close to zero as possible. Without a CMS that's impossible with the RS45. Supposedly you can adjust color and tint to help just a little, but I see no improvement with using this type of adjustment and the meter.

1st pic is my original color decoding reading (no adjustments to color/tint): R>6.9 / G>-9.7 / B>-4.8 / M>7.9 / Y>0.9 / C>19.2

Now since the only color adjustment we can so is using color and tint, we are left only to adjust two colors - one primary (using color) and one secondary (using tint). (I believe this is the right way, but the manual for my software doesn't go into explanation/detail as it believes you have an adjustment for each color)

If I adjust for red and magenta, blue goes really neg and green goes a bit neg along with yellow and cyan: R>0.6 / G>-18.5 / B>-34.9 / M>1.4 / Y>-10.3 / C>-9.3

If I adjust blue and cyan I get: R>7 / G>-11.2 / B>-0.6 / M>3.8 / Y>-7.5 / C>0.3

Not sure what to adjust in this way. What I do find is my dE for color is around 3.8 for white and all others are above that by a lot (avg is 5.3 - 2nd pic). Color setting is 3 and tint is at -4.
So since we only have color and tint to work with that leaves a lot to be desired in the color area and I'm pretty sure I'm stuck without a CMS on this projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalColorDecodingReading.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	489106   Click image for larger version

Name:	ColorGamut.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	489186  

post #4525 of 4529 Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Firmware question

Hi, I own the X30, and I'd like to update my firmware, but the only firmware I can find is for the X30B. Does that work for the X30 as well?
post #4526 of 4529 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

While I digest turbojr74's comments I would like to solicit advice on a recent problem I haven't seen before. All of a sudden my Sony BR player is acting up. It plays a disk successfully but the JVC won't display the player's home screen. The home screen is the one with the apps and the menus for all the settings. It's as if the disk puts out a different stream than the home screen does and the JVC likes one stream but not another. The sequence is that the hdmi cable from the BR player goes to my Onkyo receiver then on to a Denon video processor that then sends it to the projector.

Any ideas?

Jack
post #4527 of 4529 Old Today, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
great PJ!)
post #4528 of 4529 Old Today, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
X-30 and X-30B are the same. B is for black, in some markets they were available in white as well.
post #4529 of 4529 Old Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
X-30 and X-30B are the same. B is for black, in some markets they were available in white as well.
One of the reasons I justified changing from my black HD350 was that the white X35 looked (slightly) less obvious when you walk into my room.

I'm considering getting a white JVC X500 (RS49) to replace my X35/Isco II lens combo.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page