Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 152 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You should be able to use the "wide" color gamut, which would push the green outside the triange. Then you can use the Lumagen to bring it back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
You should be able to use the "wide" color gamut, which would push the green outside the triange. Then you can use the Lumagen to bring it back in.
I'll give that a try tonight. Is there a way to save my current Lumagen settings so I can revert back quickly if I'm not happy with the new result?

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100,
Audio: Denon 2112CI, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

You can select another input on the Lumagen and then save it. Are you calibrating the projector's grey scale first using the internal controls on the JVC?

Which software are you using for the calibration? I know Calman has a killer auto calibration. My results are so close that I don't feel the need to have an external Lumagen. The auto even sets brightness and contrast perfectly. I had always done it manually, but it beats my best efforts.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You can select another input on the Lumagen and then save it. Are you calibrating the projector's grey scale first using the internal controls on the JVC?

Which software are you using for the calibration? I know Calman has a killer auto calibration. My results are so close that I don't feel the need to have an external Lumagen. The auto even sets brightness and contrast perfectly. I had always done it manually, but it beats my best efforts.
Yes I had done white balance adjustments and gamma adjustments in the projector prior to running autocal for the lumagen. I'm using Chromapure for my calibration. I guess my question is, when I run the Chromapure autocal for the lumagen does it always save the results to CMS0 or does it save it to whichever CMS I have selected in the lumagen when I run it? Right now I have my input using CMS0, but if I copy the result to all the other CMS and then rerun calibration, will it only update on cms0?

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100,
Audio: Denon 2112CI, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100
Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Are you saying that if I purchase a meter and the Calman software I can set it up, press a button, more or less, and my projector will be calibrated? What meter and what version of the software would that be. How much would it cost?

Jack
Old 02-05-2015, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

I believe you need at least enthusiast level for Calman. Chromapure may have something similar. I have never used them but have heard good things.
There is a little learning curve with the software, but essentially yes, you hook up the meter to your laptop and your projector to the laptop (JVC's have internal test patterns), hit go and the greyscale is done in approximately 10 min. or less. You can call Spectracal and they will walk you through.
As far as the Lumagen goes, it has been a long time since I used one. The newer ones I have no experience on. There is a dedicated thread under video processors that would have all the answers to your questions. I know just the basics.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi!
I can`t find a remote code for directly changing HDMI-type from "Standard" to "Enhanced"? I need to do this when changing from the Bluray-player and to the HTPC. It seems that the HDMI-setting is global, so it doesn`t help to setup different memories. Annoying, as it seems that almost everything else can be remote controlled. I use iRule and LAN for remote control.

The HTPC has a Nvidia GT610 video card, and I use XBMC v 12.2 on OpenElec with it. There is unfortunately no option to change the HDMI-type (at least I didn`t find it...)

Last edited by Gunnar; 02-14-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My X30 has been in for repairs twice and has ruined several lamps. Going on about ten now, I would guess. After a certain amount of time, the lamps just start blinking/pulsating. Sometimes it goes away with a while on high lamp mode, sometimes it doesn't. Eventually, the blinking doesn't go away and I'm forced to switch lamps. I was smart and bought an extra lamp a few weeks after my projector was set up, so I always had a lamp while waiting for a replacement.

The lamps have all lasted between 400 and 1100 hours. Probably 600 on average. I got them all on the "three years or 2000 hours" guarantee, but JVC doesn't want to do that any longer. I guess I can't blame them.

The second time my X30 was in for repairs I borrowed a Sony HW50. After perhaps 400 hours, it did the exact same thing as the JVC

Today, I was supposed to have an X500 set up. Had to borrow money from my folks to afford the upgrade (the store agreed to give me all my money back for the X30). As soon as we get it up and running, it starts pulsating. Not as much as on a ruined lamp, but enough to conclude that the X500 isn't a solution.

Now I'm out options. NOTHING works. DLP projectors that are acceptable are even more expensive than the X500 and make a lot of noise. Plus there's no reason to think my conditions or whatever it is wouldn't ruin those lamps either.

I've recently had my electricity earthed/grounded. Wasn't too expensive. I'm using this power filter that I borrowed from my AV guy.

Any ideas? I'm really at a loss here
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 425
This is typical behavior for new lamps to flicker. You need to leave them in high lamp mode for a 25-50 hours to get rid of it. The flicker is caused by the arc landing in more than one position in an irregular pattern. In high lamp mode this helps reinforce on one landing site for the arc to land on.

And I should note that this is not something that is exclusive to JVC projectors. All UHP lamps will exhibit this behavior to some degree. There is a break-in period that needs to occur for the flicker to go away completely. Each lamp is better or worse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
This is typical behavior for new lamps to flicker. You need to leave them in high lamp mode for a 25-50 hours to get rid of it.
I didn't have to with my earlier X30 lamps. Recently, it has happened (the last two or three lamps, probably all after my power was earthed/grounded, and all but the current lamp have stopped working), but it would go away after 30-60 minutes of powering on. The X500 was going on an hour and still blinking. I see no reason to think this would be better than the X30. Or the Sony, for that matter.

I'm on 254 hours on the current lamp. I hope it has 150 hours in it before it poops its pants...

Also, I have to mention, it seems like you only read a small part of my post

Last edited by Naiera; 02-18-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I read the whole post, trust me.

Considering you've grounded your electricity and are using a conditioner and the problem has been seen on more than one projector wouldn't it seem that what I've said actually makes sense?

The issue will vary depending on the lamp and the projector being a JVC has little to do with the problem. This happens on DLP, LCD and LCoS projectors. I think its safe to say, given your testimony, that the issue isn't specific to your old x30.

Try putting the X500 in high lamp for 50 hours straight. This should eliminate the problem. The bulbs in the X500 are much better than in the X30. They should last longer.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Considering you've grounded your electricity and are using a conditioner and the problem has been seen on more than one projector wouldn't it seem that what I've said actually makes sense?
No. Not the part where lamps with 500+ hours on them start flickering/pulsating/blinking and never stop again.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The flicker can resurface. It's not unheard of. Switching back to high lamp should help fix the flicker again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 PM

As mentioned, there was never any flicker on like the first 6 to 8 lamps I used, until they "broke" and I could never put an end to the flicker.

High lamp mode would eventually not fix it, if it would at all.

Again, it still seems like you didn't read the entire post. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here, because I appreciate ANY suggestions I can get, but this is not getting us anywhere.

You're assuming I've always had early flicker, which I haven't. I've tried a lot of high lamp mode, and it's not a cure. Often the flicker is there in high lamp mode as well.

Last edited by Naiera; 02-18-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Have you tried your projectors in another house? Or at least a different location in your house?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM

With a broken lamp it has been tried in the store, where my AV guy also had the flickering.

I forgot to mention that I had a broken lamp tested once. It was actually broken, ruined, or whatever you want to call it, according to the repair place. Neither the place in Copenhagen or the one somewhere in England were able to find anything wrong with the projector though. I think both "repairs" took them six weeks.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
With a broken lamp it has been tried in the store, where my AV guy also had the flickering.

I forgot to mention that I had a broken lamp tested once. It was actually broken, ruined, or whatever you want to call it, according to the repair place. Neither the place in Copenhagen or the one somewhere in England were able to find anything wrong with the projector though. I think both "repairs" took them six weeks.
Test a new projector and new bulb. Try a friends house followed by a location in your house where a TV is. I suspect this is an issue with your house or particular outet.

I fear your projector may now have something small malfunctioning, like a fuse or resistor.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Test a new projector and new bulb.
That's exactly what I did the other day. With lots of flickering right off the bat. Paying nearly $2000 for that upgrade was quite a stretch though; it's not like I can just go buy a new one if I want to.

The electricity in my entire apartment might be bad, but surely grounding/earthing it all (professionally, of course) and using a super fancy power conditioner should make that problem go away?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
That's exactly what I did the other day. With lots of flickering right off the bat. Paying nearly $2000 for that upgrade was quite a stretch though; it's not like I can just go buy a new one if I want to.

The electricity in my entire apartment might be bad, but surely grounding/earthing it all (professionally, of course) and using a super fancy power conditioner should make that problem go away?
The new unit was tested at another house first? Or exposed to your place?

The common denominator of your place is too coincidental. If this was a widespread problem, this forum would've uncovered it.

Very odd stuff, I hope you figure it out

Maybe ditch the conditioner? Use a dedicated outlet with dedicated circuit. My projector (and many others here) have dedicated circuits for our projectors
Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 AM

The conditioner was added very recently, in the grand scheme of things. This has been going on for two years now, and the nice and fancy conditioner was added only months ago.

For a while we (my AV guy and I) thought it was just the lamps crapping out too early. I'd read about that happening, here. Then came the first attempt at a repair of the projector, where they checked EVERYTHING (we were told). At the same time, a flickering lamp was tested and found to be out of order.

I'm going to attempt to somehow have my electricty checked. Don't know how or who's going to, or if it's even possible. From the outlet and from the conditioner too, of course. If it's even possible to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The new unit was tested at another house first? Or exposed to your place?
It was brand new and started flickering right off the bat. Not as bad as when a lamp in the X30 takes a dump, but very easy to spot, and enough for us to conclude that the new one probably wasn't worth taking a gamble on.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Replacement bulb confusion

I got on this projector forum for the first time in a long time, hoping there was finally some reasonable alternative to the $400 JVC bulbs by now. Sounds like some have had at least some luck with these at least (if I'm understanding it right):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PWWD8YBRD35XBM

I bought the RS45 when they first came out in late 2011 and a few months later got the blinking orange light issue. I sent it in for repair (it was under warranty) and they just put a new bulb in, which has never had any issues.

Last summer (July 2014) I bought a $190 bulb from LampsCircle via NewEgg which was supposedly a "JVC" bulb. It was fine at first, but recently starting having the blinking orange light issues after the RS45 is on for a few minutes. For now, I swapped back to the "good" bulb from JVC and have had no issues since. Well, other than the fact that it's kind of dim.

I'm thinking my options at this point are:

* Bite the bullet and spend $400 on a real JVC bulb. Ouch!
* Try the $145 one from Amazon and hope for the best.
* Use this as an excuse to replace the RS45 with a Sony HW40ES. It doesn't seem to have any bulb drama. Would that be an upgrade from the RS45 anyway? I'm not *huge* into 3D, but it sounds quite a bit better in that department.

Thoughts?

I kind of wish I had kept my RS1. Never had bulb issues with that.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does anyone know where I could get a part list for the JVC projector? I have to replace the board with the hdmi ports, although I am having trouble finding where to get this part. If anyone has the part number I would appreciate that too. Thanks!

Last edited by avfanatic1; 02-26-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old Today, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

I'm thinking my options at this point are:

* Bite the bullet and spend $400 on a real JVC bulb. Ouch!
* Try the $145 one from Amazon and hope for the best.
* Use this as an excuse to replace the RS45 with a Sony HW40ES. It doesn't seem to have any bulb drama. Would that be an upgrade from the RS45 anyway? I'm not *huge* into 3D, but it sounds quite a bit better in that department.

Thoughts?

I kind of wish I had kept my RS1. Never had bulb issues with that.

You would not like the contrast on the HW40 except for the brightness. Both my old VW85 and HW30 were pale (greyish) comparing to the RS45.

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi