Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #4741 of 4747 Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I must say I find the 3D crosstalk pretty bad on the X30 (have JVC RF glasses and emitter).
Is it much better on newer models?
Ghosting is in a whole different league on the new models. It's not ghost free like a DLP, but it's VERY minimal even on tough material like the Lichtmond discs, Giants of Patagonia, etc......I highly doubt you will have an issue with the crosstalk performance on the new models.

Having said the above, flicker has made ZERO improvement from the original 3d models. If you don't have a problem with flicker on your X30 though, you will be fine with the new models as well. Personally I still much prefer my DLP for 3d that is mostly bright in nature since this is where flicker shows itself. Darker 3d films though are overall superior on the JVCs due to their fantastic contrast performance (and flicker doesn't pop up near as much in the darker films).

Quote:
Nice. Might have to pick up one in the CMD issue firesales then - I can't stand any FI solution so it is of no consequence to me if it doesn't work.

I'd probably have to stick an ND filter on the lens though as even my X30 is enough on my tiny screen at -12 aperture (and it has 600hrs or so on lamp).
The broken CMD on the newer models wont cause any sort of resale hit on this forum I am sure since it is dominated largely by purists (although in a recent poll conducted here, ~1/3 of the voters did feel CMD was an important feature to them which I found surprising as I did not think it would be that high ). Since you don't care for CMD, the new models are overall excellent otherwise.

I don't think you would find the new models too bright with the iris cranked down to -15. Even on my 9' wide 2.35 HP 2.8 screen with the iris at -15 on the 520, I wouldn't call the image too bright, but I know brightness is subjective so I cant say for sure how you will feel of course.
bobof likes this.

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
PLEASE CALL JVC AND REPORT THE CMD BANDING IF THIS BOTHERS YOU
1-800-252-5722
Choose option 1, then 4 and have your serial# ready (located on back of unit or box).

Last edited by Toe; 06-11-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4747 Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I was in a similar upgrade situation. Had a Mist 3800 DLP for 7 years, served me really well. Thought I had it dialed it pretty good for its capabilities.
I was also running a very small screen (small room)---80" diagonal 16:9 .9 greyscreen, which was intended to match the Mits 3800, which it seemed to.

Was looking at used JVC's and/or B-stock, etc. Only B-stock models were the newish light cannon models, which even with the iris clamped all the way down, would probably still be too bright for my 80" screen. Ultimately I thought they'd be too bright at worst or unnecessary at least--in my set up.

After doing much research, I decided my used JVC target was a RS46 at the low end, but really was shooting for the DI models, RS4910/RS49/X500, budget around $2k. I ended up getting super lucky and snagged a low hr used RS57 (X700) for that target price, and it came with a new in box extra OEM lamp. I think this RS57 was the perfect fit for my small room and small screen. With the manual iris at -12 and DI @ Auto 2, the brightness is about the same as my outgoing Mits 3800 (about 1,000hrs on the Mits Lamp and 600 hrs on the JVC Lamp).

On bright scene, or mixed bright leaning scene content, these PJ's are about the same, perhaps slight edge to the Mits.

Of course blacks are incredible on the RS57 and shadow content is very black with little to no haze compared to the 3800. So no comparison when it comes to blacks here. Interestingly both PJ's have about the same shadow detail performance.

I wrote up a long side by side comparison here> *Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread

And you can read the rest of the page that post was on here> *Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread

Last edited by fleaman; 06-11-2017 at 08:59 PM.
post #4743 of 4747 Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Ghosting is in a whole different league on the new models. It's not ghost free like a DLP, but it's VERY minimal even on tough material like the Lichtmond discs, Giants of Patagonia, etc......I highly doubt you will have an issue with the crosstalk performance on the new models.

Having said the above, flicker has made ZERO improvement from the original 3d models. If you don't have a problem with flicker on your X30 though, you will be fine with the new models as well. Personally I still much prefer my DLP for 3d that is mostly bright in nature since this is where flicker shows itself. Darker 3d films though are overall superior on the JVCs due to their fantastic contrast performance (and flicker doesn't pop up near as much in the darker films).
Ghosting bothers me more than flicker. Even my 8 year old comments on it.

Quote:
The broken CMD on the newer models wont cause any sort of resale hit on this forum I am sure since it is dominated largely by purists (although in a recent poll conducted here, ~1/3 of the voters did feel CMD was an important feature to them which I found surprising as I did not think it would be that high ). Since you don't care for CMD, the new models are overall excellent otherwise.
If the various threads get enough momentum and enough people start shifting units on it will inevitably have some effect as it isn't a very big 2nd hand market (particularly in the UK where JVC warranty only covers first owner). I'm aware of at least one of these that has come up used in the UK which I am sure is due to this "issue" (as I say, it wouldn't put me off in the slightest!)

Quote:
I don't think you would find the new models too bright with the iris cranked down to -15. Even on my 9' wide 2.35 HP 2.8 screen with the iris at -15 on the 520, I wouldn't call the image too bright, but I know brightness is subjective so I cant say for sure how you will feel of course.
For SDR I only want 16FtL / 56cd/m2 - any more is heading towards too bright in a dark room (for my liking). My screen is very small (<6' wide) - in future I might go up to 6.5' wide. (sat only around 7.5' from screen). Gain of 1 from Draper ReAct3 surface.
Toe likes this.

post #4744 of 4747 Old 06-13-2017, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I keep wanting to go to 120" from a 100" screen but it would most likely put my left speaker too close to the doorway. Rm is 12x12 with the sofa up against the wall. I don't care about 3d so I guess it's easy for me to stick with the 45.

I keep toying with new front three speakers, but I've been nothing but happy with my old M&K S125's.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
post #4745 of 4747 Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 6602 Post(s)
Liked: 4288
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Nice. Might have to pick up one in the CMD issue firesales then - I can't stand any FI solution so it is of no consequence to me if it doesn't work.

I'd probably have to stick an ND filter on the lens though as even my X30 is enough on my tiny screen at -12 aperture (and it has 600hrs or so on lamp).
If looking for a deal and not a gamer, then I would look at the RS400, 500 and 600. I currently have a 400 and a 45 in my home. The 400 is definitely the better projector. It is sharper and much brighter and I am comparing an excellent sample RS45 to an average sample RS400, convergence wise.
bobof likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #4746 of 4747 Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 6602 Post(s)
Liked: 4288
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Ghosting bothers me more than flicker. Even my 8 year old comments on it.

If the various threads get enough momentum and enough people start shifting units on it will inevitably have some effect as it isn't a very big 2nd hand market (particularly in the UK where JVC warranty only covers first owner). I'm aware of at least one of these that has come up used in the UK which I am sure is due to this "issue" (as I say, it wouldn't put me off in the slightest!)

For SDR I only want 16FtL / 56cd/m2 - any more is heading towards too bright in a dark room (for my liking). My screen is very small (<6' wide) - in future I might go up to 6.5' wide. (sat only around 7.5' from screen). Gain of 1 from Draper ReAct3 surface.
A 400 or 420 would be too bright, even at -15 on your screen. A 500/600 or 520/620 would work, since they have the dual iris and can be closed down more that the single iris in the 400/420.
bobof likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #4747 of 4747 Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
A 400 or 420 would be too bright, even at -15 on your screen. A 500/600 or 520/620 would work, since they have the dual iris and can be closed down more that the single iris in the 400/420.
Thanks, I figure that will be the way to go eventually. Lots of other upgrades waiting in the wings before I get that far. Not a gamer at all so lag is of no odds to me. Here in the UK I guess this means X7000 will be the best choice once they come down to a price I can afford. Shame they tend to be black - I like white in my lounge setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page