Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I know what you are saying, but for me not so much, because I wasn't expecting the 3D to be improved much (if any).
I think you 3D guys might want to take a small black level hit and move on over to the Sony hw30 thread or Benq w7000,
Zombie will be glad to have you as his next victim.

There are just so many trade-offs with every choice, so many trade-offs, I wish it weren't that way, but it still is.

Usually it is fairly simple for me to help others decide on a projector because they have a particular attribute that sticks out, but for myself there are conflicting reasons I need the JVC, so it's tougher for me to make a decision than it is to help someone else. Still, I'm 90% sure on the JVC and it will probably ship before I change my mind anyhow (and I'll just be happy to see it).

So true. I had the AE4000 because the lens memory. Thinking in 3D i bought the AE7000 but i was seriousily disappointed with the 2D (convergence, focus, non uniform brightness, etc), so i bought the VW95 but i asked the store to swap the VW95 by the RS45. I realy love movies and dont wacth hdvt and dont play games. The lens memory its important to me too.
I will have the AE7000 and the RS45 here later this month. I will write my impressions but i dont speak english very well, so i will post my impressions and the test A/B in another forum in my language. If someone has interess i can post the link here than use the google translator to read.
Clayton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 AM

Well I hope I'm happy. I just ordered the x30 for 2D purpose because I really don't enjoy 3D. Will I see a major difference from my 5 year old sharp z3000? Hope it's here within the week and will update on how happy I am with it.
post #543 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

omg I COULDNT STAND THE RS2. It was too dim for me to enjoy. Had it a total of about 2 months. Wasted 5500.00 there!

LOL. Well at least by your response I know the RS45 should be a bit brighter. I use an HP screen so the brightness isn't an issue. Still fairly bright at <600hrs IMO.
post #544 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

For me, 3D is so much more real looking than 2D. It pulls me into the story in ways that 2D simply can't. All I have to do is close one eye and try to imagine what it would be like only to see the world this way. It literally freaks me out, just as the thought of being blind or deaf freaks me out.

For people to reject 3D as adamantly as they do, I think their perception and mine must be fundamentally different. Not seeing in 3D, to me, would be like hearing with only one ear. It would be like eating without being able to experiencing salty or sweet. I also don't want to live without 3D entertainment ever again.

I'm with you on this, Joe. 3D is a significant step closer to suspending disbelief in movies and although we aren't quite there yet the technology holds so much potential, beyond gimmicky special effects etc (remember surround sound when new...), also for the most conservative film fanatic (depth-of-field etc). Poor brightness, cross-talk, headaches, dizziness... all those are bound to go away as the technology evolves over time.

I remember seeing fifteen years ago the "T2 3-D: Battle Across Time" at Universal Studios in Florida, thinking this is the future of cinema. Two years ago that came true when I saw Avatar 3D in Greenwich, London... the most amazing and intense movie experience (no, make that entertainment experience... Scores in NY and Palmers Sport in Bedford excluded) I've ever had!

To think that I will now have this technology in my home later this week (X30 is on its way ) is quite fantastic in itself. I haven't seen any of the JVC's yet but I've demo'ed the VW95 with 3D and, granted, the presentation can't match that of the multi-million dollar setup at my local IMAX theater (for now...) but I don't mind pioneering this technology since I know how much promise it holds and truly hope it's more than the fad some on here would like to make it out to be. Personally, having demo'ed the Sony VW1000ES, I'd rather take well-executed 3D (from source to delivery) over 2160p resolution.
post #545 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM

Liked: 11
I keep hearing about warm up times for 3D on these PJ's, but is there a significant warm up time for 2D or can you just fire it up and turn something on?
post #546 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM

any reports on how well this handles motion? sports?
post #547 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

any reports on how well this handles motion? sports?

Motion is the same as the RS40 if that helps you. CMD looks identical to my eyes as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #548 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

I keep hearing about warm up times for 3D on these PJ's, but is there a significant warm up time for 2D or can you just fire it up and turn something on?

There's no warm up time for 2D
post #549 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Any of you feel let down by JVC? i KNOW i DO.

I am disappointed by Toe's report on 3D. However, this projector is still so affordable for an excellent 2D machine. Thinking hard if I should get it or go for more well-rounded machines like HW30 or 5010.
post #550 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

There's no warm up time for 2D

Yes and no.

Many PJ's focus can drift a little from cold to hot (heat expansion changing the focus slightly). For those PJ's it's best to wait 30 minutes before focusing. And once you do that it means that focus won't be the sharpest when the PJ is cold, so in that case, you may want to warm up the PJ a little if you notice.

But for a lot of PJ's, you won't notice the focus being a little off unless you walk up to the screen or sit very close and bring up a PJ OSD menu.
post #551 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I am disappointed by Toe's report on 3D. However, this projector is still so affordable for an excellent 2D machine. Thinking hard if I should get it or go for more well-rounded machines like HW30 or 5010.

same here...
post #552 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I also agree with you.

I'm not even bothering to buy the 3D emitter and glasses. When next year's redesign comes out, and if the 3D is greatly improved, I will take a look at an upgrade to 3D then.

For now, going 2D only has eliminated all of my 3D concerns, and I'm looking forward to an excellent 2D image with no regrets.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #553 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

I'm not even bothering to buy the 3D emitter and glasses. When next year's redesign comes out, and if the 3D is greatly improved, I will take a look at an upgrade to 3D then.

For now, going 2D only has eliminated all of my 3D concerns, and I'm looking forward to an excellent 2D image with no regrets.

I also agree with you too. Not bothering with any 3D stuff. Just interesting in getting the best 2D projector for the money. I will just keep an eye out for some crazy deal on 3D stuff, and maybe then, I'll think about it, maybe for some games, but I just don't really care about 3D at all.

On another note, what # in the waiting list is AVS up to for the RS45? I was in the 60s I think.
post #554 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM

I am on the pre-order list, I play a lot of xbox 360 first person shooters, would I be better taking the hit on black levels and get the Sony 30?
All other media is bluray.

I've always wanted a JVC but I am starting to wonder if I should make a last minute change of direction.

I'm not so concerned with 3d more of a nice to have but it probably won't be watched a huge amount

Brightness is not an issue I have a completely light controlled room with black velvet panels on the walls and ceiling and have 100 inch screen I think its 1.1 gain

Appreciate your thoughts
post #555 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulders View Post

I am on the pre-order list, I play a lot of xbox 360 first person shooters, would I be better taking the hit on black levels and get the Sony 30?

I've always wanted a JVC but I am starting to wonder if I should make a last minute change of direction.

I'm not so concerned with 3d more of a nice to have but it probably won't be watched a huge amount

Brightness is not an issue I have a completely light controlled room with black velvet panels on the walls and ceiling and have 100 inch screen I think its 1.1 gain

Appreciate your thoughts

Don't waste your time on this projector for gaming it takes a hit in the input lag
post #556 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

Appreciate your thoughts

All of the current LCOS/LCD projectors are going to suffer with SBS/Console gaming. If your room setup can allow 2 projectors, i'd recommend picking up the inexpensive Optoma GT 750.

It has HDMI 1.4 built in and 3 pin '3D port' for bring your own emitter/glasses. The Monster Vision 3D glasses would a great combo with this projector.

720P native and it's not going to ghost with SBS or Xbox 360 SBS 3D gaming. there is a dedicated thread in the under 3k forum for details.
post #557 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Don't waste your time on this projector for gaming it takes a hit in the input lag

Thanks, I have been worrying about this for a while, so how would it compare in lag terms to my current projector a Sanyo plv-z5

Cheers
post #558 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

For 3D gaming, I would pick up the inexpensive Optoma GT 750. It has HDMI 1.4 built in and 3 pin '3D port' for bring your own emitter/glasses. The Monster Vision 3D glasses would a great combo with this projector.

720P native and it's not going to ghost with SBS or Xbox 360 SBS 3D gaming. there is a dedicated thread in the under 3k forum for details.

Thanks, am not really bothered about 3d gaming, just trying to avoid having 2 projectors, but I can do if need be.
post #559 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Do you guys think the RS45 will light up a 120" wide 16:9 Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screen? The advertised gain is .9x but reports show around .85

Room is completely light controlled and I don't care at all about 3D
post #560 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Thanks, am not really bothered about 3d gaming, just trying to avoid having 2 projectors, but I can do if need be.

If gaming and 3D aren't big concerns for you, the JVC is a great choice. Anything 3D running at 120hz is going to ghost. That's not a problem for me, either, but for some people it's a deal breaker. For 2D and 24p 3D Blu-ray, it's hard to beat the JVC as a single projector solution.

Joe Clark

post #561 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. That is why it is worthless IMO.

Agreed. All you would be doing is to change the horizontal offset between L & R and the resulting perceived image depth but not really fix the underlying problem.
I have noticed that adjusting the white slider in the Crosstalk cancellation menu to 'minimum' (-8) will reduce the perceived image brightness but also slightly reduce the appearance of ghosting. Not good enough though.

I have been testing my RS45 only with the new XpanD 104 glasses.
According to JVC, the difference between the original PKAG1BP glasses and the new PKAG2BP glasses is not only a significant increase in contrast but supposedly also an improvement in regards to the visibility of ghosting (?). I never had the chance to test my RS45 with the newest JVC glasses. Has anyone had a chance to compare the new PKAG2BP glasses with the original glasses or any of the XpanD glasses ?
Thank you.
post #562 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgon View Post

Agreed. All you would be doing is to change the horizontal offset between L & R and the resulting perceived image depth but not really fix the underlying problem.
I have noticed that adjusting the white slider in the Crosstalk cancellation menu to 'minimum' (-8) will reduce the perceived image brightness but also slightly reduce the appearance of ghosting. Not good enough though.

I have been testing my RS45 only with the new XpanD 104 glasses.
According to JVC, the difference between the original PKAG1BP glasses and the new PKAG2BP glasses is not only a significant increase in contrast but supposedly also an improvement in regards to the visibility of ghosting (?). I never had the chance to test my RS45 with the newest JVC glasses. Has anyone had a chance to compare the new PKAG2BP glasses with the original glasses or any of the XpanD glasses ?
Thank you.

Where did you get the Xpand 104's?

Joe Clark

post #563 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiToNi View Post

I'm with you on this, Joe. 3D is a significant step closer to suspending disbelief in movies and although we aren't quite there yet the technology holds so much potential, beyond gimmicky special effects etc (remember surround sound when new...), also for the most conservative film fanatic (depth-of-field etc). Poor brightness, cross-talk, headaches, dizziness... all those are bound to go away as the technology evolves over time.

I remember seeing fifteen years ago the "T2 3-D: Battle Across Time" at Universal Studios in Florida, thinking this is the future of cinema. Two years ago that came true when I saw Avatar 3D in Greenwich, London... the most amazing and intense movie experience (no, make that entertainment experience... Scores in NY and Palmers Sport in Bedford excluded) I've ever had!

To think that I will now have this technology in my home later this week (X30 is on its way ) is quite fantastic in itself. I haven't seen any of the JVC's yet but I've demo'ed the VW95 with 3D and, granted, the presentation can't match that of the multi-million dollar setup at my local IMAX theater (for now...) but I don't mind pioneering this technology since I know how much promise it holds and truly hope it's more than the fad some on here would like to make it out to be. Personally, having demo'ed the Sony VW1000ES, I'd rather take well-executed 3D (from source to delivery) over 2160p resolution.

One of my ex-students worked on that Terminator 3D show in Florida.

Personally, I've never seen any commercial 3D theater that can beat what I have at home with my RS40, and that includes my local Imax. In several ways, the RS40 beat even that - that includes brightness, color, screen surface quality, resolution of fine detail and especially contrast. I think the commercial theater may beat it (barely) in terms of ghosting, but that's only because it's so much dimmer. When the image is barely bright enough to see, it's that much harder to pick up on ghosting.

It's been a long time since I went to a theater, because I've felt my 2D experience was better at home. And that was before the RS40. With the JVC, the gulf has gotten even bigger. The pattern is repeating itself with 3D. I saw Avatar 4 times in the theater and loved it, but it didn't hold a candle to watching it on my Samsung plasma, much less a 110" HP screen and an RS40.

Joe Clark

post #564 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Do you guys think the RS45 will light up a 120" wide 16:9 Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screen? The advertised gain is .9x but reports show around .85

Room is completely light controlled and I don't care at all about 3D

No Problem at all.

Readings from my AT screen (gain 0.9) 116" 16:9

Normal 16,5 ftL
High 25,5 ftL

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #565 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM

[quote=Melgon; had a chance to compare the new PKAG2BP glasses with the original glasses or any of the XpanD glasses ?
Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I have tried the new Xpand 104 with the new Jvc. The Jvc has a yellow tint to the lens which appears a brighter picture, and the xpand seems slightly duller. ( not so much darker just a different tint ) I prefer the Jvc for comfort and so does my wife . She wears prescription glasses and the Jvc has more space for her glasses. My son of 6 years prefers the xpand as the Jvc fall off his face. I recommend both, but to me Jvc has the edge ! I am from the uk. I am currently waiting to hear when the medium and small come into stock as my other son finds both Jvc and large xpand too big. I suspect the small size will be his best bet. I can honestly say both these new glasses appear brighter than the older Jvc glasses, but dont have the old ones to compare anymore.
post #566 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Motion is the same as the RS40 if that helps you. CMD looks identical to my eyes as well.

Guys, do you use CMD for 2D blu-ray movies or is it meant for sports and tv shows ? Also does this projector have "motion blur" problem during camera panning ?
post #567 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

if we were all smart we would keep this years pj for about 4 years and then upgrade.

That is my plan. The RS45 is about the same cost as a much smaller, high end flat panel. 3D seems to be a very immature technology yet, even though it is the industry buzzword right now.

So... the RS45 is the best I can reasonably do right now. 3D will probably be watchable. 2D will be excellent, far better than anything I could get any other way. In a few years they will have 3D ironed out and then I'll upgrade.

Having said all that, I was hoping for more from the RS45 in terms of 3D performance. I was disappointed by Toe's post.
post #568 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM

I totally agree with elmerfudII's statement. 2D is the reason that I ordered this projector, in fact I did not even order any of the 3-D gear. If in a few months I start seeing reports that a firmware changes 3-D for the better, or the new JVC glasses make a big difference then I may give it a shot. If not then I will probably use this projector for 3 years and then get a new one that does awesome 3-D, as it should be more mature by then.
post #569 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

That is my plan. The RS45 is about the same cost as a much smaller, high end flat panel. 3D seems to be a very immature technology yet, even though it is the industry buzzword right now.

So... the RS45 is the best I can reasonably do right now. 3D will probably be watchable. 2D will be excellent, far better than anything I could get any other way. In a few years they will have 3D ironed out and then I'll upgrade.

Having said all that, I was hoping for more from the RS45 in terms of 3D performance. I was disappointed by Toe's post.

If you're expecting to be disappointed by the RS45's 3D performance, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise. It's true that for 3D gaming and SbS video (from DirecTV, for instance), ghosting is a serious issue. There's no denying that. For 3D 24p Blu-ray movies (the overwhelming majority of my 3D viewing), the RS40 on a 110" DaLite High Power screen looks phenomenal.

Joe Clark

post #570 of 4481 Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

If you're expecting to be disappointed by the RS45's 3D performance, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise. It's true that for 3D gaming and SbS video (from DirecTV, for instance), ghosting is a serious issue. There's no denying that. For 3D 24p Blu-ray movies (the overwhelming majority of my 3D viewing), the RS40 on a 110" DaLite High Power screen looks phenomenal.

Hello i sold my rs40 last week.

Yes it was a great projector and some 3d 24p movies were great.

But if you watch a movie like despicable me or sammys adventures theres alot of ghosting.

But 2d this projector rocks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page