post #631 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Speaking of Mounting Brackets, I have a Chief RPMU mount and contacted Chief about a mounting plate for the RS45. They e-mailed back that I need an SLM281 mounting plate and referred me to 3 different dealers. I called, and NONE of them have any record or knowledge of this plate!!!! Since I'm taking delivery today or tomorrow, this is rather frustrating.

What are you folks using as a ceiling mount?

After searching the forum, I found in the RS40 owners thread that one owner made a "mod" by drilling two holes in the Chief mount and sent me photos. I may be forced to go that route, at least temporarily.

I've e-mail Chief again and am waiting for a response. Chief has so many different versions of their products that the part number is mind-boggling. They were very specific with me that NONE of their Universal brackets would work with the RS45.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283884
https://www.chiefmfg.com/Mount-Finder/JVC/DLA-RS45
http://www.amazon.com/Chief-SLM281-b...3188248&sr=8-1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

I ordered a mount from AVS that I believe was a Chief that is supposed to fit. I have the mount, but no PJ yet so I cannot say for sure but I would say call Mike Garrett as he should be able to help you out.

Thanks, kertofer, David Nash at TheFinalClick.com (one of the companies Chief referred me to) contacted Chief directly, tracked down the part, and has placed it in their on-line store: http://www.thefinalclick.com/Chief-S..._p_123316.html Chief is shipping it out today. Keep in mind that this is for an existing Chief Mount, the RPMU. If you are purchasing your projector from A/V Science, I would recommend ordering either the part or the kit along with your projector.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #633 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

Thanks Plasmaman, the forum link you posted was where I learned of the SLM281 (and the "mod" I referred to in my original post). FinalClick's price was about $20 less than Amazon's.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #634 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Is it possible to get this corrected or would you need an external CMS ?

Normaly not. You can often only limit colorspace. Not expand it.

Here are my measurements in Cinema mode with standard colorspace setting.

Whats interesting with krains maesurements is that Wide1 has very good results in regards of primary secondary coordinates and luminance.

This is exaclty what i found out with my X30. So i use Wide1 colorspace and the picture is brilliant.

I also tested what efect the service menu cms had on the measurement and the green values only change by a very small amount (only a few %).

So it's either a softwarebug in the colormanagement of the X30 or the lightpath and lamp combination is limiting green output and green spectrum is on it's limit.
LL

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #635 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Interesting that the older RS1, RS2 and RS10 base models (ie without built in CMS) always had a very oversaturated green, they seem to have gone the opposite way now.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #636 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
The waiting is killing me too. Got the call from AVS, provided my CC, and now just waiting for that email with that magical tracking info.
I'm replacing my Panasonic AE700 which has about 8yrs+ and 3,200 hrs on the lamp (this is the original lamp!!!), so I'm sure that I will be blown away regardless - my starting point is pretty low.
post #637 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM

There is a chiefplate SLB-281 that is made for x3/7/9/30/70/90. I have one and it fits my X30 perfect.
post #638 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouradb View Post

The waiting is killing me too. Got the call from AVS, provided my CC, and now just waiting for that email with that magical tracking info.
I'm replacing my Panasonic AE700 which has about 8yrs+ and 3,200 hrs on the lamp (this is the original lamp!!!), so I'm sure that I will be blown away regardless - my starting point is pretty low.

Just upgrading from your AE700 --> AE4000 will blown you away. Congratulations.
post #639 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Just got my 45 order confirmed with Benito and he said it should ship tomorrow!

The spice must flow...
post #640 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Just cranked mine up and tinkered for a little bit. I'll tinker more in a few hours.
I must say from the start, this projector is BRIGHT!! Just by eye, it is as bright as my Infocus SP8602 was running in low lamp mode! I've set the aperture to -15 in normal mode and still get a bright image in a room with a lot of ambient light on a 120 inch screen.

I can tell from the two light cannons I've used lately, that this projector will do those 1300 lumens easily! Now for how long.. who knows. lol
post #641 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Speaking of Mounting Brackets, I have a Chief RPMU mount and contacted Chief about a mounting plate for the RS45. They e-mailed back that I need an SLM281 mounting plate and referred me to 3 different dealers. I called, and NONE of them have any record or knowledge of this plate!!!! Since I'm taking delivery today or tomorrow, this is rather frustrating.

What are you folks using as a ceiling mount?

After searching the forum, I found in the RS40 owners thread that one owner made a "mod" by drilling two holes in the Chief mount and sent me photos. I may be forced to go that route, at least temporarily.

I've e-mail Chief again and am waiting for a response. Chief has so many different versions of their products that the part number is mind-boggling. They were very specific with me that NONE of their Universal brackets would work with the RS45.

You want the SLB281. Give us a call if we can help you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #642 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Just cranked mine up and tinkered for a little bit. I'll tinker more in a few hours.
I must say from the start, this projector is BRIGHT!! Just by eye, it is as bright as my Infocus SP8602 was running in low lamp mode! I've set the aperture to -15 in normal mode and still get a bright image in a room with a lot of ambient light on a 120 inch screen.

I can tell from the two light cannons I've used lately, that this projector will do those 1300 lumens easily! Now for how long.. who knows. lol

Out of interest what gain is your screen material?
post #643 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Dang, I got a message about RS45. I want to go ahead and finalize the preorder, but I am having last minute doubts.

I have RS40 and have been happy with it. Good convergence, no brightless loss (perhaps marginal), I am only at ~400 hrs since late February when I got it. No other issues. Locked up twice or three times at most. No big deal.

I am disappointed to read that the lens memory on RS45 is a little bit unreliable. That's a shame, because getting the shift/zoom in the ballpark is easy. It is getting it dialed perfectly that's more time consuming. The fact that the lens memory does not store mask, is a huge (and STUPID) omission. I have 2.35 screen so I mask off content bigger than 2.35 (2.40/2.39 is pretty common). I also think 3 presets is not enough. It should support at least four, I'd use them for: 16:9/1.37:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1.

I browsed thru the RS55 thread seeing if I perhaps should step up to RS55 (e-shift seems like good stuff) but intial problem reports kinda put me off. And extra $2k is not chump change.

Also the risk of getting a unit that is worse in term of convergence, etc, makes me even less enthused about upgrade.

Finally, it seems that resale value of RS40 plummeted. Bunch of units on ebay for $2200 that didn't sell.

Seems like holding onto RS40 looks like an attractive option. If the bulb goes prematurely, I hope I'll be able to get one out of JVC, or at worst pay for it. Still would be ahead cost wise vs. upgrading to RS45.

Thoughts?
post #644 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Hi Joesyah, I'd like to hear your thoughts of this projector versus the HW30. Thanks.
post #645 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Looks like my RS45 is shipping out tomorrow.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #646 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

Dang, I got a message about RS45. I want to go ahead and finalize the preorder, but I am having last minute doubts.

I have RS40 and have been happy with it. Good convergence, no brightless loss (perhaps marginal), I am only at ~400 hrs since late February when I got it. No other issues. Locked up twice or three times at most. No big deal.

I am disappointed to read that the lens memory on RS45 is a little bit unreliable. That's a shame, because getting the shift/zoom in the ballpark is easy. It is getting it dialed perfectly that's more time consuming. The fact that the lens memory does not store mask, is a huge (and STUPID) omission. I have 2.35 screen so I mask off content bigger than 2.35 (2.40/2.39 is pretty common). I also think 3 presets is not enough. It should support at least four, I'd use them for: 16:9/1.37:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1.

I browsed thru the RS55 thread seeing if I perhaps should step up to RS55 (e-shift seems like good stuff) but intial problem reports kinda put me off. And extra $2k is not chump change.

Also the risk of getting a unit that is worse in term of convergence, etc, makes me even less enthused about upgrade.

Finally, it seems that resale value of RS40 plummeted. Bunch of units on ebay for $2200 that didn't sell.

Seems like holding onto RS40 looks like an attractive option. If the bulb goes prematurely, I hope I'll be able to get one out of JVC, or at worst pay for it. Still would be ahead cost wise vs. upgrading to RS45.

Thoughts?

I'm in the same situation as you as I have a rs40 with perfect convergence and about 400 hours and bulb has been steady. If you were going to upgrade you would have had to sell your rs40 early as you would be lucky to get around $2k for it now and unless you sold early and not lost a bunch that is the only way I wouldve found it reasonable to get the rs45. I was going to get the rs55 but I didn't sell early either so since I am still happy with my rs40 I going to wait till next year's models. Of course it does make it difficult reading these jvc threads about everyone's shiny new toy.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #647 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, exactly. I would not sell early, because I could not trust JVC estimates for shipping based on the last year's experience. I did not want to be without projector especially during the winter months.

I am leaning towards waiting till next year, as the projector is still within the warranty.

I also like the motorized lens cover (I know silly) and shiny case (also silly). RS45 is matte right?
post #648 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's going to cost $800-1000 to step up so maybe just better to keep. I don't think you lose anything with 2D and 3D isn't any better according to Toe.
post #649 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I don't care for 3D. The only reasons to upgrade from RS40 to RS45 for me were:

1) lens memory - but it seems they have botched it
2) staying at the front of the curve - with no improvements in 2D seems silly.

If I could pull the upgrade within $300-400 out of pocket, basically a cost of new lamp, that would be worth it maybe. For $800-$1000, it isn't indeed.

So staying with RS40 that is. Next year, I'll consider stepping up to the whatever successor of RS55 there will be. Should be a real upgrade then.
post #650 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

Yeah, I don't care for 3D. The only reasons to be upgrade for me were:

2) staying at the front of the curve - with no improvements in 2D seems silly.

If I could pull the upgrade within $300-400, basically a cost of new lamp, that would be worth it maybe. For $800-$1000, it isn't indeed.

So staying with RS40 that is. Next year, I'll consider stepping up to the whatever successor of RS55 there is. Should be a real upgrade.

My opinion, stay put. 2d is the same for all practical purposes and so is 3d besides maybe a hair more brightness. For me it was worth it for the lens memory (its not perfect though like you mention) and new bulb since I am only out $335 after selling my 40, but if it cost me much more than that, it would not have been worth it. At ~$800-$1000 out of pocket, no way.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #651 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

That's just it tho. RS40 wouldn't work for me. After manually zooming with my other PJ I'm not doing this EVER again no matter how good the PJ is. A Royal Pain in the ASS!

Ever thought about getting an anamorphic lens?

I love mine and don't think I'd ever want to go back to not having one.
post #652 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It seems that they will be shipping tomorrow. Some credit cards have been charged.
post #653 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

... the lens memory (its not perfect though like you mention) ...

OK. I've been following this thread since the beginning, but somehow I've missed this. What is the issue with the lens memory on the RS45? Mine is shipping either tomorrow or Thursday.... I picked the JVC for the 2D, blacks, and lens memory...

EDIT:
OK I think I found what you guys are talking about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Alright, just played around with the lens memory some more and here is what I found with this particular unit.

Lens memory accuracy is inconsistent. Sometimes it will hit dead on, and sometimes it will be slightly off and this goes for both directions (going from 2.40 to 1.85 or 1.85 to 2.40). The only area it is sometimes slightly off with though is shift and the good news is after the whole operation is finished a screen pops up asking if you want to shift the image (looks like JVC knew that it would not be accurate 100% of the time so I see this pop up as a good thing). I also timed how long it took and went each way ~7 times and here is what I got.

Going from 1.85 to 2.40 averaged out between 28-29 seconds.

Going from 2.40 to 1.85 averaged out to about 36 seconds.

All in all even though the lens memory is not perfect, it is much better than doing the whole thing manually each time like I was doing on the 40. The fact that focus and zoom are always dead on with only shift being off slightly sometimes helps a lot. It would be great if it was dead on every time, but not that big of a deal IMO.

Hmmm... I wonder how much of a pain this is going to be. If my whole new home theater setup isn't real easy to operate, my wife is going to kill me!

- Nick Buol

post #654 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 146
For people getting this projector delivered in REAL cold weather, especially below freezing, don't turn it on right away, it could damage the lamp or something else. Give it at least an hour, or maybe a couple to warm up slowly before turning it on. Just a suggestion, a lot of people don't realize this about projectors.

Although I'd guess that even non-climate controlled delivery use some heat in the back of trucks when it's extremely cold, but I still wouldn't chance it.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #655 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Just got my 45 all set up was wondering if anyone would be willing to suggest some OOTB settings as this is my first projector. I'm throwing to a 136" 2.05:1 Carada Brilliant White Screen image brightness is good on Normal Lamp using Natural setting.
post #656 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

So I had gotten my RS45 last Friday 12/02 but I barely got it mounted and running last night, Monday, and it is definitely brighter in general than my RS40, going on memory from a year ago, but brightness wise it is bright even in eco/normal mode.

I have not messed much with it other than play around with the remote, and adjust a few things, experimented with some new options on the remote but I probably won't have any quality time with it until Friday when I am off.

I have not tested 3D yet but will try to do this tonight, including the so called 2D to 3D conversion.

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

post #657 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
3D GLASSES

I got the call and I should see it by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

What are the recommended glasses? The Xpands? I will probably purchase one or two pairs of JVCs but go cheaper on the rest. Should I purchase Xpand103s now or wait for the Xpand104s?
post #658 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

For people getting this projector delivered in REAL cold weather, especially below freezing, don't turn it on right away, it could damage the lamp or something else. Give it at least an hour, or maybe a couple to warm up slowly before turning it on. Just a suggestion, a lot of people don't realize this about projectors.

Although I'd guess that even non-climate controlled delivery use some heat in the back of trucks when it's extremely cold, but I still wouldn't chance it.

Good advise. Many people will be wanting to immediatly fire up their new baby without realizing it could harm it.
post #659 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Good advice. I just went through this with a sub amp that hit my door step yesterday as it was ice cold! Of course letting it sit over night and warm up to room temp means nothing when you rip the spade/speaker connector right out of the circuit board first thing and **** it up anyway

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #660 of 4460 Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Here, in Brazil is so hot, i will have to put the RS45 in the freezer before turning on.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page