Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yah, the cold weather may not hurt a projector, but I sure wouldn't chance it. I know if the lamp were below freezing and it started heating up, that cannot be a good thing, but waiting an hour before firing up the PJ should be plenty unless it was -50 outside or something.

My review of the RS-45 is still two weeks out unfortunately, but I'm planning a full review as much as I am able to. I get the JVC on Tuesday, but it will take me almost a week to write it up. I will be placing the JVC in multiple categories as compared to multiple other projectors. I have a DLP here to compare it to and multiple references of other projector's I've owned.

I'll be generally watching the same content I've seen on all the other projectors:

Planet Earth, Hawaii: An Island Symphony, The Universe Series, Apollo 13, Spears and Munsil startup video, DVE skin tone video, x3: Terran Conflict, Game of Thrones, etc... We'll see how it goes...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mike called yesterday and said that a bunch of 45's were coming in on Wednesday. I cancelled my RS45 pre-order however. Sorry Mike and AVS.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #723 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernick View Post

okay, I still am not set on a 2.35 screen, but i really like the idea... so RS45 is on the top of my list.

please forgive my ignorance, but I'm really new with the projector deal.
can you guys explain how the zooming would work?

lets assume I have 2 lens memory buttons set up, one for 2.35:1 and one for 16:9.

lets say I want to watch a movie i push my macro for 2.35:1 to have the movie played on my projector at 2.35:1. Does it matter if the movie was not filmed in 2.35:1? it will automatically stretch the image to fill the 2.35:1 screen, right?

then going from that to watching TV, I just hit my 16:9 zoom macro and the image is the in 16:9 and I would have black bars on the sides of my screen, right?

And from what I am hearing the memory isn't exact, I the image may not be exact? are you guys saying that the zoom isn't going exactly where you set it, so it may not go exactly to the edges of the screen in 2.35:1, or be exactly 16:9, or is it out of focus?

sorry for my ignorance

Zooming in a 2.35:1 screen means that you are zooming the picture so that the "real content (which is shown in 2.35:1 format) fits exactly to your "white" screen. This means the original black bar (top and bottom) will now go to the top and bottom of the screen. I personally think the term "crop" seems to describe this better, as you basically crop out the real content with your white screen and the projector is still projecting the black bars.. vs. in a A-lens situation, you eliminate the black bars by doing vertical stretching and with the lens, you restore your ratio.

And yes, in zoom mode, when you want to watch 16:9, then you basically zoom out.

I have not got my PJ yet, so I did not know what the lens memory issue exactly is.. but from what i hear, it seems like it is more of the location (so less than an inch to the edge) rather than a focus thing.
post #724 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Zoom and focus are accurate with lens memory, but lens shift is sometimes slightly off.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #725 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Zoom and focus are accurate with lens memory, but lens shift is sometimes slightly off.

Yes its strange how they got the zoom and focus so precise but not the shift.
post #726 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks fight4you! that makes sense! I'm really leaning towards the RS45 based on the actual users experience with gaming (rather than assumptions). any reports to confirm or deny the assumptions about trouble handling moving objects such as watching a football game or something of the sort.
post #727 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Yes its strange how they got the zoom and focus so precise but not the shift.

BTW, if you are center to begin with, and just zoom in and zoom out, why is the lens shift needs to be "changed'? That is puzzling.. Seems like the mechanical shift and the "positioning memory" is not that precise...
post #728 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Don't laugh, but what is "lens shift"? and what does it being a little off do?

yea, that's what I was wondering Fight4you!
post #729 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
Are all the buttons on this remote the same as the 40? I ask because I have a Harmony One and they do not appear to have this one in their IR library yet...
post #730 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't laugh, but what is "lens shift"? and what does it being a little off do?

Lens Shift is the ability to shift the lens so the image can move up/down/left/right, while your projector is stationary. In most ceiling mount, you will need some vertical shift... unless your PJ is dead center on the screen to begin with, which some HP screen will need.
post #731 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM

But once you have it set, you shouldnt have to change it, right? the Height and Left to right woulndt have to change when going from 2.35 - 16:9 correct?
post #732 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

Are all the buttons on this remote the same as the 40? I ask because I have a Harmony One and they do not appear to have this one in their IR library yet...

The remotes are compatible but the buttons have changed. There are now two 3D buttons for example. All buttons on the old remote will operate the correct function on the new projector, so for now you wouldn't lose anything you already had....
post #733 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks fight4you! that makes sense! I'm really leaning towards the RS45 based on the actual users experience with gaming (rather than assumptions). any reports to confirm or deny the assumptions about trouble handling moving objects such as watching a football game or something of the sort.

Not sure if RS45 is "the machine" for gaming. Most people I think bought RS45 not for gaming, but for watching movies. I understand they also use it for playing games, but that's usually not the primarily reason. If you are into sports/gaming most of the time, I think the SONY seems to be better, as it offer better moving handling (and better 3D).
post #734 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The remotes are compatible but the buttons have changed. There are now two 3D buttons for example. All buttons on the old remote will operate the correct function on the new projector, so for now you wouldn't lose anything you already had....

So, if I use the old remote code in Harmony, and then just "learn" the new buttons (how many are those??), I should be fine??
post #735 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

A quick update
I'm home for lunch, turned it on, and there was no warm up time necessary. It must have been a first time deal. Coderguy mentioned cold weather. I do live in Minnesota, but the projector was in my house for roughly 6 hours before I powered it up. It should not have made a difference, but still, it could have been cold deep down, I suppose.

Anyway, no more warm up time!

Is this in regards to 3D ghosting and the necessary 15 mins of warm up time before playing 3D content? Or is this some other one off issue with the operation of the projector in general without a warm up?
post #736 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Moderator, it is possible to rename this thread to :

Official JVC RS45/X30 Owners Thread

Sounds like you need a merge.

Send an mod a PM to make this happen.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377955

post #737 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Not sure if RS45 is "the machine" for gaming. Most people I think bought RS45 not for gaming, but for watching movies. I understand they also use it for playing games, but that's usually not the primarily reason. If you are into sports/gaming most of the time, I think the SONY seems to be better, as it offer better moving handling (and better 3D).

This is for 90% BluRays and maybe 5% games and 5%football games
Don't care about 3D at all.

I am by no means a "gamer" but I would like to be able to play PS3 and Wii on it. Call of Duty would be neat to play on it, but I am by no means trying to be competitive with a PC hard wired 13 year old that plays 12 hours a day.

as long as the football game looks better than it does at buffalo wild wings, and I dont have to pay $7 for a beer, I'll be happy!

The Sony is #2 on my list because I kinda want to do a 2.35 screen. If I didn't have that desire, then I agree the Sony would be where it's at....so talk me out of 2.35?
post #738 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, if I use the old remote code in Harmony, and then just "learn" the new buttons (how many are those??), I should be fine??

I have an RS50 and RS55 and the remotes are different again so I am not completely sure how many new buttons you need to learn...it might just be the 3D mode and 3D settings buttons. Other than that, all your old codes are just fine
post #739 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Tom, can you tell me how much (in inch) is slightly off ? Thanks man.
post #740 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Is this in regards to 3D ghosting and the necessary 15 mins of warm up time before playing 3D content? Or is this some other one off issue with the operation of the projector in general without a warm up?

2D only, just general use. The first time I used it, it was out of whack for 2D for about 5 minutes, but it's been fine since then. I suspect it was due to the temperature during transit.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #741 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I would not argue this machine is the best for gaming. There are probably better machines. I will get a lag value for all of you tonight so we can talk about this topic from an informed stance. Likely, it is about the same as the RS40.

For my gaming style (playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, Portal 2, etc), it will work very nicely. It depends on what you are looking for. At my age, 37, I've lost some of the edge, and that extra 30ms doesn't make as much of a difference. I don't expect to be able to compete at the top.

But I'm telling you, no matter what I find tonight, the gaming felt very responsive. Whether that's a lack of perceptiveness on my part or an improved RS lag time, we'll see.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #742 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

Tom, can you tell me how much (in inch) is slightly off ? Thanks man.

Feel free to call me Tom, but my name is Todd

It seems to depend on how big of an image you are throwing (which makes sense) as far as how much it can be off. I would say approx 1/4” for my smaller 1.78 image and approx 1/2” for my bigger 2.40 image which is 9' wide. It seems to land somewhere between these 2 extremes and perfect.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #743 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you are hardcore into FPS or something, sharpness matters to me for gaming more than lag-time. Depends what type of games you play I suppose. I don't really do much gaming anymore, very occasionally.

For the type of games I am likely to play, contrast and sharpness are far more important than lag, but unfortunately usually sharpness is a tad more important than contrast, but we'll see.

Going to try X3: Terran Conflict on this projector when I get it, so far I have never found a projector that looks quite right playing this game, they either are not sharp enough or do not have enough contrast. It's going to be unlikely the JVC will be sharp enough to play this, but it's worth a shot. I ended up playing it on an LCD monitor as it looked better

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #744 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM

I picked up Batman Arkham City the other day for my PS3, pretty sure that will put some hours on this poor projector...:-)
post #745 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

To add to Coder, my brother in law is a hardcore COD FPS gamer, he is one of those a-holes who will end up with 30 kills each game, and he absolutely has no complaints about playing MW3 or BlackOps on my old RS40 or the new RS45. If anything he would rather play through the projector versus the 32" flat panel at the bar, or the 55" 240hz Sony LED TV in the living room. I bought him for Christmas a wireless N adapter for his xbox and a wireless Turle Beach headset so he can migrate into the living room and quit logging daily hours of FPS gaming on my new precious RS45. So in other words, even hard core gamers like him seem to appreciate the RS40/45 and would play through it anyday over a 55" ultra fast flat panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Unless you are hardcore into FPS or something, sharpness matters to me for gaming more than lag-time. Depends what type of games you play I suppose. I don't really do much gaming anymore, very occasionally.

For the type of games I am likely to play, contrast and sharpness are far more important than lag, but unfortunately usually sharpness is a tad more important than contrast, but we'll see.

Going to try X3: Terran Conflict on this projector when I get it, so far I have never found a projector that looks quite right playing this game, they either are not sharp enough or do not have enough contrast. It's going to be unlikely the JVC will be sharp enough to play this, but it's worth a shot. I ended up playing it on an LCD monitor as it looked better

post #746 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

I would not argue this machine is the best for gaming. There are probably better machines. I will get a lag value for all of you tonight so we can talk about this topic from an informed stance.

Thank you for performing the test Steve. I know if the RS45 was under 50ms I would be buying it for sure.
post #747 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Well that makes me feel warm and fuzzy!!

Now if we could just determine the bulb life quandary, I will gladly buy this if the issue is fixed/nonexistent.
post #748 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

What is your estimated lamp usage per year?

I think for those big into gaming and are worried about lamps, I'd keep a close eye on the Benq w7000 before immediately deciding on a JVC.

post #749 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

But once you have it set, you shouldnt have to change it, right? the Height and Left to right woulndt have to change when going from 2.35 - 16:9 correct?

No, in general the lens shift needs to change when you zoom in and out. That is because if you have any other lens shift than exactly zero, the light is not perfectly centered on the lens, and when you zoom in or out with a non-centered beam, it will cause the screen image to shift.
post #750 of 4457 Old 12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

It's not really the coldness, but the condensation which occurs during
warm up that can cause problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Yah, the cold weather may not hurt a projector, but I sure wouldn't chance it. I know if the lamp were below freezing and it started heating up, that cannot be a good thing, but waiting an hour before firing up the PJ should be plenty unless it was -50 outside or something.

My review of the RS-45 is still two weeks out unfortunately, but I'm planning a full review as much as I am able to. I get the JVC on Tuesday, but it will take me almost a week to write it up. I will be placing the JVC in multiple categories as compared to multiple other projectors. I have a DLP here to compare it to and multiple references of other projector's I've owned.

I'll be generally watching the same content I've seen on all the other projectors:

Planet Earth, Hawaii: An Island Symphony, The Universe Series, Apollo 13, Spears and Munsil startup video, DVE skin tone video, x3: Terran Conflict, Game of Thrones, etc... We'll see how it goes...

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page