post #1591 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I'm not inclined to doubt owner reports of the RS45 looking like it has higher contrast.

JVC really does seem to have made a visible jump in performance. I've directly compared my new RS55 to my RS20, and the increase in image dynamics and contrast is quite obvious in favor of the RS55 (and frankly I was skeptical there would be a visible difference between the two, until I compared them).

I have no doubt that is the case when moving from an RS20 (4 generations old) to an RS45 (current generation). I went from an RS2 (then 4 generations old) to an RS40 (the current model at the time) and noticed the same thing and I compared them directly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Planet Earth is not 1080p24, it's 1080i60 or 1080i50 depending on the actual footage. That might be why CMD3 works well with it.

Here you go...
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 53mn 24s
Bit rate : 11.3 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #1593 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

The RS40 also had a contrast ratio of 50,000:1. Definitely higher? Have you compared them directly? How would you know? I love how the hyperbole just flows with new owners. The only thing at this point that seems pretty certain is the RS45 is brighter than the RS40. keep in mind, brighter isn't always better. In most installations (at short to mid-throw) all it will do is raise the black floor (something many of us don't desire).

I seem to have a target on my back today.

It is not hyperbole, it is based on some evidence, could the evidence be wrong, yes maybe, but probably not. Just like anyone else in here I can make mistakes, but it is what it is.

I could turn this around and say the same thing that every time someone makes a statement, someone attempts to parse someone's words and tries to make them look foolish (look at the 24hz debate we just had), what a bunch of malarkey that at this level of discussion someone wouldn't know what 24p is, I mean seriously?

Just because I tried 3:2 pulldown doesn't mean I don't know the frames are uneven and it can increase judder, I try it because I love testing projectors, I do things out of the norm, etc... I even posted a DISCLAIMER noting it was weird that I was using 60hz mode, but I still had to listen to the 30 minute back and forth of how I'm doing it all wrong. It's fine, I don't take it personally, but I'm just pointing that out.

Or the convergence discussion the other day, somehow it was argued all day the pixels are not aligned to the pixel grid, but to the colors. The pixel grid splits the light in the projector at the electronics layers over the panels, so I'm thinking technically the pixels have to be lined up to the grid, not to each other, otherwise if you lined up green first and it wasn't perfect, then it'd add alignment bias to the rest of the grid. The most likely method used is averaging bias error, the reason green is probably aligned best is because it is the first one aligned to the grid or they are most careful with it.

There is actually logic to my arguments, they aren't completely based on foolish pre-conceptions

----------------------------------------------------

Now that I am done explaining myself because I apparently know absolutely nothing about this stuff

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1594 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I seem to have a target on my back today.

It is not hyperbole, it is based on some evidence, could the evidence be wrong, yes maybe, but probably not. Just like anyone else in here I can make mistakes, but it is what it is.

I could turn this around and say the same thing that every time someone makes a statement, someone attempts to parse someone's words and tries to make them look foolish (look at the 24hz debate we just had), what a bunch of malarkey that at this level of discussion someone wouldn't know what 24p is, I mean seriously?

Just because I tried 3:2 pulldown doesn't mean I don't know the frames are uneven and it can increase judder, I try it because I love testing projectors, I do things out of the norm, etc... I even posted a DISCLAIMER noting it was weird that I was using 60hz mode, but I still had to listen to the 30 minute back and forth of how I'm doing it all wrong. It's fine, I don't take it personally, but I'm just pointing that out.

Or the convergence discussion the other day, somehow the pixels are not aligned to the pixel grid, but to the colors. The pixel grid splits the light in the projector at the electronics layers over the panels, so I'm thinking technically the pixels have to be lined up to the grid, not to each other, otherwise if you lined up green first and it wasn't perfect, then it'd add alignment bias to the rest of the grid. There is actually logic to my arguments, they aren't completely based on foolish pre-conceptions

----------------------------------------------------

Now that I am done explaining myself because I apparently know absolutely nothing about this stuff

I am sorry Coderguy! You seem like a good guy. I just want to see one really objective review of the RS45 vs. the RS40. I am curious as to how much of an upgrade the new model actually offers. I would just go out look at one, but no one around me has one and, anyway, you can't really compare projectors when they are not in the exact same viewing environment.
post #1595 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It's no problem, I just get worn out sometimes defending every uncrossed T and non-dotted I made in the forums.

It wasn't your fault, just was sick of arguing with people.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1596 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

What model is it, do you know the average measurements of overall contrast?

I have some sample pics from projectors I've had here on the same scenes.
Even on the mixed scenes, the contrast differences are clearly evident.
Here's the JVC RS45 compared to a projector with contrast around 2100:1.
If your projector has less contrast than it, you'll be floored by the differences.

The last pic in the Infocus SP8602, it kicks major ass in scenes like this! The darker the scene the further apart the lower contrast projector and RS45 become. The low apl scenes from Harry Potter are unwatchable on the Benq W1000 for my taste. Foggy haze is cast over the entire image. Pay special attention to the young boy's hair and jacket center at the table.

The differences are more than overwhelmingly evident in person.
Benq W1000

JVC RS45

Infocus SP8602

An SP5000 . "Foggy Haze" describes what I currently see . Very depressing . I don't know why , but everyones posted Pics are not showing up today . Strange .
EDIT: and now the pics are back . Weird !

Scott..........

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #1597 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Here you go...
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 53mn 24s
Bit rate : 11.3 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits

You must have the BBC / Warner version (VC1 / 1080p) then, although that's not what mediainfo reports.

As you were in North america, and as you chose this title to illustrate the positive effect of CDM 3, I assumed you had the U.S. discovery Channel bluray, which is 1080i60 / AVC. My mistake.

See here for more info (read the sizing up the picture section): http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/983/planetearth_us.html

For your information:
Planet Earth was shot with over 200 cameras. Much footage was probably shot with Panasonic Varicam HD Camcorders (native 720p) Some footage was shot with a Sony HDW 750 (1080i) recording to HDCAM. BBC Post Production (http://www.bbcresources.com/postproduction/index.html) converted all the variable frame rate material to its HD standard of 1080i/50 fps for post-production. For the U.S. audience that material was transcoded to 1080i/60 fps.
post #1598 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

I am sorry Coderguy! You seem like a good guy. I just want to see one really objective review of the RS45 vs. the RS40. I am curious as to how much of an upgrade the new model actually offers. I would just go out look at one, but no one around me has one and, anyway, you can't really compare projectors when they are not in the exact same viewing environment.

Though the test was not objective, I had my RS40 and RS45 hooked up with an HDMI matrix switch, watching the exact same content, in the same room. Settings were virtually identical, but the RS40 had about 400 hours on the lamp. Sharpness and detail were at 0 on both. Though I had a hard time telling the difference in brightness (which really surprised me), the difference in contrast was striking. The RS45 seemed substantially better. I did this mainly as a test of 3D, and the RS40 showed far less ghosting, so in that sense it looked much better to me. For 2D, though, I prefer the punchier RS45. It also seemed sharper, and I attribute that to the increased contrast too. The RS40 looks great; the RS45 is a notch above that.

Joe Clark

post #1599 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, you guys are burning through pages on this thread almost faster than I can read them...of course that is because I am having a hard time tearing my eyes away from the screen. Just watched 5th Element and The Matrix Reloaded and I am still just blown away by how great the dark scenes are on this thing...
post #1600 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

So if you are going to question their claims then what is the point of wanting their opinion anyway? Regardless of what anyone here says you are going to almost have to see it with your own eyes anyway. Everyone has different expectations and tolerances and unless you find someone with very similar opinions to your own you will never really know whether to trust another or not. And I feel your pain with comparisons. Very few places even have projector setups let alone the chance of comparing one projector to another.
post #1601 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Here's a brief review of the new JVC DLA-RS45U or DLA-X30BU. These are same projectors sold through different JVC retail channels.

For the most part, this projector seems largely unchanged from last year's model. Here are some numbers from my work on the unit.

I quickly determined that the RS45 was just like last year's model in that the Cinema Mode-Standard Color Space provided the most accurate colorimetry. All measurements were taken in this mode.

Lumens and contrast

Lamp Iris Contrast Lumens Post-calibration Pre-Calibration
Normal Open 17660 477 542
Normal Closed 52000 281
High Open 25600 713

The contrast you would expect under ordinary conditions is 17,660. You can get higher contrast simply by using the High lamp mode, but that derives from a larger peak white value rather than a lower black level. The 52,000:1 figure from the iris fully closed position is an estimate only. The actual value is somewhat higher. From the closest available distance I was not able to get my probe to read anything for black. In any case, this very high figure is achieved only by reducing the light output by nearly half, so most users will use the iris sparingly.

Grayscale

As you can see, the 6500K preset is somewhat bluish, suggesting that a setting of 6000K would be more neutral.

After using the built-in custom grayscale and gamma controls, I was able to get the grayscale to below 2 dE from 10-100%. However, even after using the custom grayscale controls, the 10% value was still far too bluish. I was able to resolve this by adjusting the RGB gamma values at 10%. This is a nifty feature that, in essence, provides a multi-point grayscale control for correction at individual points.

Colorimetry

Except for the luminance of blue, which considerably too low, the colorimetry of the RS45 in Cinema/Standard was excellent. This is good because the RS45 offers no CMS. With the addition of an external processor, such as a DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance, you could get perfect colorimetry at a price that is still lower than the RS55. In fact, the RS45 is a perfect candidate for these external processors that can visibly and measurably improve performance.

Gamma

When initially measured, the gamma seemed lower than the 2.2 preset would indicate. However, after changing the gamma value and then going back it measured a nearly perfect 2.2, suggesting that the built-in gamma tables need to be activated by this simple measure to get the best performance. Alternatively, this was just a glitch in this one unit.

Convergence

The convergence of the unit I looked at was very good. I made only one small adjustment to the blue vertical pixels in the provided Pixel Adjust feature.

Subjective Impressions

I spent some time viewing some program material and what I saw was typical of a well-calibrated JVC projector--excellent depth and dynamic range with good sharpness and color accuracy. If I have any complaint it is only that the RS45 seems little changed from last year's already excellent model.

Comparisons

People will no doubt be interested in a comparison between the JVC RS45, Epson 5010, and the Sony VPL-VWPRO1 whose street prices are all at or slightly below the $3,000 point. From my limited exposure to the Sony it was my least favorite of the three based solely on the quality of the optics, which did not seem to resolve inter-pixel detail as well as the other two. Choosing between the JVC and Epson is a little more difficult. Both offer excellent installation flexibility with wide zooms and lens shift. Both provide excellent RGB convergence after making minor adjustments with the provided tools. Both offer a wealth of calibration controls and possess excellent colorimetry, grayscale, and gamma with only minor adjustments.

The JVC's image was somewhat more refined with better depth and a lower black floor. On the other hand, the Epson provided a punchier image, which I attribute solely to its greater light output. Other than that, there was little to choose between them. If you need the higher light output, go with the Epson. If your priorities are with contrast and the silky smooth quality of a LCoS engine go with the JVC. I doubt that many would be disappointed with either.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1602 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thanks Tom for your review. I plan to calibrate the unit with the DVDO I-Scan Duo as soon as I get a few more hours on the lamp.
post #1603 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Liked: 10
Tom, do you test the AE7000 ? Thans for your review.
post #1604 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouradb View Post

Was anyone successful getting their (new) JVC glasses working from 20 feet with a bounced-back signal?

Yes. The emitter is sitting on top of the projector which is 20 feet away from the screen. No problems for glasses on the rear row which is just below the projector. So the total IR path is 40 feet long, bouncing back from an AT screen.

Raghu
post #1605 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Someone here have a black diamond screen ? Where i can buy one ? Thanks
post #1606 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi Guys (why should I assume we are all guys?), I must be going blind. Can someone please point me to the page in the manual which explains how to save custom settings to User 1 through 5 on the Remote? I've read the manual over several times and somehow am missing this basic setting.

Thanks,

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1607 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Here's a brief review of the new JVC DLA-RS45U or DLA-X30BU. These are same projectors sold through different JVC retail channels.

For the most part, this projector seems largely unchanged from last year's model. Here are some numbers from my work on the unit.

I quickly determined that the RS45 was just like last year's model in that the Cinema Mode-Standard Color Space provided the most accurate colorimetry. All measurements were taken in this mode.

Lumens and contrast

Normal Closed 52000 281
High Open 25600 713

The contrast you would expect under ordinary conditions is 17,660. You can get higher contrast simply by using the High lamp mode, but that derives from a larger peak white value rather than a lower black level. The 52,000:1 figure from the iris fully closed position is an estimate only. The actual value is somewhat higher. From the closest available distance I was not able to get my probe to read anything for black. In any case, this very high figure is achieved only by reducing the light output by nearly half, so most users will use the iris sparingly.

Grayscale

As you can see, the 6500K preset is somewhat bluish, suggesting that a setting of 6000K would be more neutral.

After using the built-in custom grayscale and gamma controls, I was able to get the grayscale to below 2 dE from 10-100%. However, even after using the custom grayscale controls, the 10% value was still far too bluish. I was able to resolve this by adjusting the RGB gamma values at 10%. This is a nifty feature that, in essence, provides a multi-point grayscale control for correction at individual points.

Colorimetry

Except for the luminance of blue, which considerably too low, the colorimetry of the RS45 in Cinema/Standard was excellent. This is good because the RS45 offers no CMS. With the addition of an external processor, such as a DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance, you could get perfect colorimetry at a price that is still lower than the RS55. In fact, the RS45 is a perfect candidate for these external processors that can visibly and measurably improve performance.

Gamma

When initially measured, the gamma seemed lower than the 2.2 preset would indicate. However, after changing the gamma value and then going back it measured a nearly perfect 2.2, suggesting that the built-in gamma tables need to be activated by this simple measure to get the best performance. Alternatively, this was just a glitch in this one unit.

Convergence

The convergence of the unit I looked at was very good. I made only one small adjustment to the blue vertical pixels kin the provided Pixel Adjust feature.

Subjective Impressions

I spent some time viewing some program material and what I saw was typical of a well-calibrated JVC projector--excellent depth and dynamic range with good sharpness and color accuracy. If I have any complaint it is only that the RS45 seems little changed from last year's already excellent model.

Comparisons

People will no doubt be interested in a comparison between the JVC RS45, Epson 5010, and the Sony VPL-VWPRO1 whose street prices are all at or slightly below the $3,000 point. From my limited exposure to the Sony it was my least favorite of the three based solely on the quality of the optics, which did not seem to resolve inter-pixel detail as well as the other two. Choosing between the JVC and Epson is a little more difficult. Both offer excellent installation flexibility with wide zooms and lens shift. Both provide excellent RGB convergence after making minor adjustments with the provided tools. Both offer a wealth of calibration controls and possess excellent colorimetry, grayscale, and gamma with only minor adjustments.

The JVC's image was somewhat more refined with better depth and a lower black floor. On the other hand, the Epson provided a punchier image, which I attribute solely to its greater light output. Other than that, there was little to choose between them. If you need the higher light output, go with the Epson. If your priorities are with contrast and the silky smooth quality of a LCoS engine go with the JVC. I doubt that many would be disappointed with either.

Thanks Tom! This is exactly the kind of information I have been seeking. Looks like I am staying put with my RS40. Any chance you will be doing something on the RS55?

John
post #1608 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 PM

The speed at which new posts are added to this thread makes it hard for me to keep up reading all of them. It seems some of you live in this thread. I am wondering how you guys find time to watch and enjoy your projector.

Raghu
post #1609 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Though the test was not objective, I had my RS40 and RS45 hooked up with an HDMI matrix switch, watching the exact same content, in the same room. Settings were virtually identical, but the RS40 had about 400 hours on the lamp. Sharpness and detail were at 0 on both. Though I had a hard time telling the difference in brightness (which really surprised me), the difference in contrast was striking. The RS45 seemed substantially better. I did this mainly as a test of 3D, and the RS40 showed far less ghosting, so in that sense it looked much better to me. For 2D, though, I prefer the punchier RS45. It also seemed sharper, and I attribute that to the increased contrast too. The RS40 looks great; the RS45 is a notch above that.

Aside from the 3D, had you reset the gamma on your RS40 before you did the comparison? As the projector ages, the gamma would have lowered, resulting in a flatter image. On first comparison the RS45 will appear to have more contrast because its gamma is still intact. As for 3D, I do agree the contrast is enhanced, but it actually looks a little too contrasty in some scenes...as if it has been enhanced unnaturally.
post #1610 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Every online measurement has the RS45 brighter with higher contrast. Every professional reviewer has stated the same. I do not understand why it is hard to believe JVC can't make a great projector better in this regard?
Brighter allows you to use the aperture to its full potential, which also gives better contrast. Why would brighter be a bad thing for these projectors?

Joesyah,

Look a few posts above (the post from Tom Huffman). That post pretty much contradicts everything you have stated. Tom has been around here for a long time and is a guy who has been at the forefront of testing and calibrating video displays for as long as I have been a member of AVS. I think I'll take his word for it...
post #1611 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

. . .

That post begs to be the first post of a new RS45 calibration thread! It was nice to be able to go to a specific thread for those hints and help for the RS40 last year.
post #1612 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Hi Guys (why should I assume we are all guys?), I must be going blind. Can someone please point me to the page in the manual which explains how to save custom settings to User 1 through 5 on the Remote? I've read the manual over several times and somehow am missing this basic setting.

Thanks,

Just select the user settings you want (User1, User2, ..) either through he remote directly from the menu and then make the changes you want. They will be saved automatically. Only thing you have to save explicitly is the name (if you decide on changing it)
post #1613 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Thanks Tom. This supports my subjective impressions that the 45 is more or less a RS40. Not a bad thing, but there are certainly no major differences to my eyes . I know some have reported more brightness/contrast which may be, but I just dont see it. Maybe if I could do an A/B with my old 40 this would be more apparent, and then again maybe not LOVE those contrast figures though since I am running my 45 iris closed all the way at the far end of the throw range. Awesome unit overall though and I am enjoying the hell out of mine!

Just watched KFP2 3d and the 3d was excellent. Some ghosting off/on throughout on my 45, but not enough to bring down the experience to any significant degree. Great audio as well with only the LFE being a bit conservative IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1614 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Lumens and contrast

Normal Closed 52000 281
High Open 25600 713

Hello Tom,

Thanks a lot for this detailed feedback.

Could you please confirm at which throw/zoom ratio these lumens measurements were taken? I don't think I've seen this info in your report.
post #1615 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Aside from the 3D, had you reset the gamma on your RS40 before you did the comparison? As the projector ages, the gamma would have lowered, resulting in a flatter image. On first comparison the RS45 will appear to have more contrast because its gamma is still intact. As for 3D, I do agree the contrast is enhanced, but it actually looks a little too contrasty in some scenes...as if it has been enhanced unnaturally.

That's a good point, Jon. After I posted I realized that hadn't been done. I reset the RS40 to factory defaults temporarily for the test, but it was definitely due for a "tuneup." The RS45 is not calibrated. Only about 5 hours on the lamp.

Joe Clark

post #1616 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM

So after about how many hours should an initial calibration be done and roughly how many hours later should a re calibration be done? Maybe 20 hours or so on the bulb and then again at around 500?
post #1617 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouradb View Post

Just select the user settings you want (User1, User2, ..) either through he remote directly from the menu and then make the changes you want. They will be saved automatically. Only thing you have to save explicitly is the name (if you decide on changing it)

Thanks mouradb, you wouldn't happen to know what page of the manual this is explained?

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1618 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

johnifehr,

Please guide to where I need go to do what you are doing...in other words, please help me!
I'm completely in awe of smooth motion play...I'll do anything to get this.
where do I need to start?
I play my movies through MPCHC and madvr and ffdshow if that helps.

Thanks,

First off, what are your computer specs? Here is the SVP home page, really easy to use, download and install the full package and configure settings, this is where a high end system is much better as you can max at most settings. http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download
post #1619 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Just curious but has anyone done an input lag test on this unit? I see several threads where the rs40 had close to 100ms and while I don't want to turn this into another "the sky is falling" for gamers, I would like to know before I open the box
post #1620 of 4496 Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

judder
A subtle stuttering effect that occurs most noticeably during pans and other camera movement with 24-frame sources, such as most Hollywood films and many network TV programs. Can be caused by the native 24-frame rate of film itself, where the stuttering is relatively smooth and regular,
OR by the 2:3 pull-down conversion process
used to convert film to video, where the stuttering is more jerky and irregular.

------------------------------------

The above definition is how I always understood it. Notice judder/stutter, same thing according to this definition.
All the word really means is a lack of fluidness, I guess some people have created a new meaning in the video world to mean only when doing pulldown conversion, but I don't think that's how it was generally meant to be used. I am old school going way back, and in the past people have used the word judder to describe any slight loss in fluidity.

3:2 "judder" is a separate and distinctly different issue to low frame rate "jitter", the term I prefer as it more accurately describes the effect.

Judder looks like repetitive dropped frames which is effectively what it is, we get a fast-slow, fast-slow effect that is quite unlike the even low frame rate jitter of film. Using the same term for both causes confusion and should be avoided.

The JVC like all displays shows 3:2 judder and low frame rate jitter when film is displayed at 60Hz. However when correct 24Hz display is used there is only low frame rate jitter, no judder at all.

FI reduces both judder and jitter with film source but since sport and many TV shows are 60fps and super smooth to begin with I question why FI would be used with such sources.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page