Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

the white streaks for light text on black background are visible on mine, even from seating position. it's not terrible but still annoys me. im not sure if this has to do with the amount of lens shift being used. I am crossing my fingers that once i get the PJ into final position (it's temp mounted now) the streaks will go away from that far off the screen. I'm about 15 hours in, so too late to return inside the 4hour window...

I am betting this is 100% setup related. This has been identical on BOTH my 40 and 45. I also saw the same thing on Sams 40, but not quite as noticeable which could be due to his lower gain screen, ceiling mount, or other setup variable.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My experience is that's it's not related to setup. The first RS45 I received had really bad vertical streaking which could easily be see from my seating position. It was sent back defective. The second one has very little with the exact same setup and is a huge improvement.

Attachment 232021
LL
Steve Smith is offline  
post #2073 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I agree, send it back, guys don't wait so long to question an issue. There is no way as picky as I am that I wouldn't notice the difference between the RS-45 sharpness and my DLP. I have returned 5+ projectors due to lack of sharpness, and one thing the RS-45 has is sharpness, period.

You should be testing your projector first and using it later.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2074 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Member
 
grouper8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

the white streaks for light text on black background are visible on mine, even from seating position. it's not terrible but still annoys me. im not sure if this has to do with the amount of lens shift being used. I am crossing my fingers that once i get the PJ into final position (it's temp mounted now) the streaks will go away from that far off the screen. I'm about 15 hours in, so too late to return inside the 4hour window...

Well, I have two adjustable rear shelves that I use for my theater room. They are installed on a wall bracket 16.7 ft from my screen. My HD250 was on the top shelf which is lined up to the top of screen. So with the length being around 24 inches, my throw was 14.7. I also have a Benq 6000 on the other shelf which is lined up center of screen; about a 15.7 throw on it. I have no issues with streaking on them. I have the painted black walls and ceiling and total light control in this room. I was thinking that the lens shift could be what is wrong with the RS45. When I initially installed it on the shelf that the HD250 is on, I noticed the streaking. I then installed on middle shelf which is dead center and from what I read on here, the preferred spot. It still has the streaking on it. I've already emailed AVS to see what direction I need to go in. I do want this to work because I really want to go back to a one projector setup but I'm not going to keep a projector that the picture is worse than the Benq 6000 and HD 250. I actually watched a few scenes from Planet of the Apes last night on all three projectors and the RS45 was the worst.
grouper8 is offline  
post #2075 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Member
 
grouper8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

My experience is that's it's not related to setup. The first RS45 I received had really bad vertical streaking which could easily be see from my seating position. It was sent back defective. The second one has very little with the exact same setup and is a huge improvement.

Attachment 232021

That looks exactly like mind.
grouper8 is offline  
post #2076 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouper8 View Post

That looks exactly like mind.

When in doubt, you bail out.
Something a pilot taught me


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2077 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Let me try to understand.. so, you will still have streaking even if you have a good unit, right? I think mine is OK, but the Oppo home screen still had quite some streaking (on the p). Is this "normal"?
fight4yu is offline  
post #2078 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joesyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow that does look bad! Mine has very slight streaks coming off some of the white lettering. It's not a big deal here as I would need to get my nose close to the screen to see it. I would definitely send that one back!
Joesyah is offline  
post #2079 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

My experience is that's it's not related to setup. The first RS45 I received had really bad vertical streaking which could easily be see from my seating position. It was sent back defective. The second one has very little with the exact same setup and is a huge improvement.

Attachment 232021


Thanks Steve. I stand corrected. That picture in your post is very extreme and considerably worse than the 2 40s and 45 I have seen.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #2080 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I will test it next time I fire up my projector more specifically to the minimum distance I can see it from.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2081 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Let me try to understand.. so, you will still have streaking even if you have a good unit, right? I think mine is OK, but the Oppo home screen still had quite some streaking (on the p). Is this "normal"?

All 3 units I have seen showed what you are talking about on the Oppo home screen.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #2082 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Member
 
grouper8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

When in doubt, you bail out.
Something a pilot taught me

When I received the projector and power it on for the first time, it had extreme vertical shift applied to it. The picture was on my ceiling. Just wondering if there is any correlation between that and the streaky lines.
grouper8 is offline  
post #2083 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Nah, same with most people, although mine was only at 50% lens shift oddly enough. Almost everyone elses was on the ceiling.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2084 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: las vegas
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

Could be a distance thing. Move the emitter closer. Make sure you're bouncing the signal off the screen - and roughly, at the right angle so that the signal can pass over the seats. If too acute of angle, the bulk of the signal ends up in the ceiling or floor.

There is no way I can move the emitter closer to the screen and have the signal pass over the back row seating at the same time.. unless I'm missing not getting what you are trying to say.
paradigm is offline  
post #2085 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: las vegas
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Try puting the emitter above or below your screen.

I don't understand this at all. The emitter is supposed to go on top of the projector and point towards the screen. PJ is 17' away so the cord wouldn't be long enough anyways even if this was a solution.
paradigm is offline  
post #2086 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

I don't understand this at all. The emitter is supposed to go on top of the projector and point towards the screen. PJ is 17' away so the cord wouldn't be long enough anyways even if this was a solution.

You are trying to shoot the signal 33 feet if I remember correctly and bouncing it off the screen to boot. That is a long way for IR to travel. Are you sure that you have the angle correct on the sensor so that when the signal hits the front screen and bounces off, it is not getting blocked by the front seats?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #2087 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

the white streaks for light text on black background are visible on mine, even from seating position. it's not terrible but still annoys me. im not sure if this has to do with the amount of lens shift being used. I am crossing my fingers that once i get the PJ into final position (it's temp mounted now) the streaks will go away from that far off the screen. I'm about 15 hours in, so too late to return inside the 4hour window...

Did you see this in the first few hours of using it?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

Ericglo is offline  
post #2088 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: las vegas
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Came back to comment on something... according to this thread the JVC RS45 has a lag of 80ms. Well damn, I ran out of options. Are there no modern projectors out there that will provide deep black levels with less than 50ms lag?!

I just don't see it. Played COD last night and didn't affect me. Maybe I'm just not susceptible to it.
paradigm is offline  
post #2089 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: las vegas
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You are trying to shoot the signal 33 feet if I remember correctly and bouncing it off the screen to boot. That is a long way for IR to travel. Are you sure that you have the angle correct on the sensor so that when the signal hits the front screen and bounces off, it is not getting blocked by the front seats?

Don't think the front seats would be blocking the signal as the back seats are on a riser. If I hold the emitter like say beside my ear towards the screen it works perfectly fine. So the distance seems fine.

Maybe I should mount the emitter on the ceiling just off to the side of the PJ and a little bit back. I don't know what else to try. I have adjusted the emitter's angle repeatedly. Maybe it's because the RPAU mount and PJ are so close to the ceiling that it's having an affect on it? But I don't think so because front row is fine.
paradigm is offline  
post #2090 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

Don't think the front seats would be blocking the signal as the back seats are on a riser. If I hold the emitter like say beside my ear towards the screen it works perfectly fine. So the distance seems fine.

Maybe I should mount the emitter on the ceiling just off to the side of the PJ and a little bit back. I don't know what else to try. I have adjusted the emitter's angle repeatedly. Maybe it's because the RPAU mount and PJ are so close to the ceiling that it's having an affect on it? But I don't think so because front row is fine.

That tells me that the problem is not the emitter. It is the location and/or angle that is causing the problem. I would rig some thing up so that the emitter can be mounted under the projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #2091 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
My emitter blocks the signal of my Samsung Bluray player remote, guess it's a conflict, it only blocks it while in 3D mode, of course when in 3D mode is the only time the emitter should be active.

The Samsung remote can still over-power the emitter if I am close enough to the device, but it is a tad bit of a distraction, nothing major however.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2092 of 4457 Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: las vegas
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That tells me that the problem is not the emitter. It is the location and/or angle that is causing the problem. I would rig some thing up so that the emitter can be mounted under the projector.

Ok. I think i will try some velcro on it and place it on the bottom of the RS45 then or perhaps the side. I'll report back
paradigm is offline  
post #2093 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Came back to comment on something... according to this thread the JVC RS45 has a lag of 80ms. Well damn, I ran out of options. Are there no modern projectors out there that will provide deep black levels with less than 50ms lag?!

Other than CRT no.
Owen is offline  
post #2094 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Another repeat, but the cheap DLP option as a secondary projector is the only way to get no blur on rendered game textures during fast movement, irregardless of lag response which only FPS gamers will care about. You can't get a projector to do everything right, not yet.

The low lag doesn't help the blur these projectors sometimes get due to slower pixel response speeds, and I see this on both LCD and LCOS, but not on DLP. The blur is not an issue for movies or most video content, but it is in gaming. When I see someone asking about lag on an LCOS, if they are that sensitive to LAG (which IMHO is not nearly as big of a deal as blur in gaming), then I can't imagine they won't be sensitive to the blur even more so, but I suppose anything is possible.

The JVC is fine for gaming, but I am just saying if people are so worried about lag, there are other issues as well and they mise well just go to a DLP for the gaming.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2095 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Member
 
Prostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I own a JVC X30 (RS 45). It's still sleeping on the floor as i'm not living at home now (can't wait to...). I still hesitate about what kind of DIY screen i should built : 2.35 or 1.77 ?

3D is for my 6 years old daughter... She will only watch anime like Disney, Pixar... So a lot of contents in 1.77 size. Some movies for children like "Karate Kid 2010" (she likes it very much ).
If i choose 1.77 screen size, it will be about 2,1 meters width.

2D is for me. I watch a lot of movies (so 2.35 most of the time) and some of your best series (Dexter, The walking dead, Vampire's diaries, and so...). I still don't know if i will play games (PS3, X360, PC) with the JVC (because of its lag).
2.35 should be fine for me and the screen size would be 2,4 meters width (bigger than the 1.77 one because if i build a 1.77 screen with 2,4 meters width, it will be too big for my wall (because of the eight of the screen).

If i choose the cinemascope size of screen, here comes the problem.
I've seen the lens memory of the JVC X30 working to my dealer's shop. It seemed to be great. But i've heard that some people had problem with the memory lens. It wasn't coming back to the right place after zooming for 2.35 contents...

So i have 2 simples questions :

- 1.77 or 2.35 ?
- those who use the lens memory, does it work fine ? Do you think it's a good idea to use it each time i want to watch a 2.35 movie (i ask because JVC seemed to have problems in a near past with the quality of its units (especially bulbs) ?

By the way, i don't know if this is important or not but i will use an HTPC to feed my JVC. So if i choose a 2.35 width screen, each time the movie will ended, i'll have to use the lens memory to go back to 1.77 width for Windows...

Thanks.

Vincent
Prostic is offline  
post #2096 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I tested the white streaks, the streaks are mostly invisible on my unit, it's hard to see them even with my nose to the screen, it takes white on black more than anything to really see them. Moving back 1 foot or so from the screen and they are completely gone. So I would say if someone can see the streaks even from 1/2 seating distance, that is maybe too much.

@CIH - Lens Memory
It works good enough, you may have to make a very slight correction with the remote afterward, but it is much better than doing it manually, and how often are you really going to go back and forth, I mean it's not something most people do constantly, just at the beginning of viewing and end usually.

I'd go 2.35 if you watch more movies, but also keep in mind that the black bars on the JVC are so dark that even if you do not go 2.35, the black bars really are not very visible at all compared to most projectors. You can still see them a tiny bit, but hardly, it almost looks like masking without masking.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #2097 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostic View Post

Hi,

I own a JVC X30 (RS 45). It's still sleeping on the floor as i'm not living at home now (can't wait to...). I still hesitate about what kind of DIY screen i should built : 2.35 or 1.77 ?

3D is for my 6 years old daughter... She will only watch anime like Disney, Pixar... So a lot of contents in 1.77 size. Some movies for children like "Karate Kid 2010" (she likes it very much ).
If i choose 1.77 screen size, it will be about 2,1 meters width.

2D is for me. I watch a lot of movies (so 2.35 most of the time) and some of your best series (Dexter, The walking dead, Vampire's diaries, and so...). I still don't know if i will play games (PS3, X360, PC) with the JVC (because of its lag).
2.35 should be fine for me and the screen size would be 2,4 meters width (bigger than the 1.77 one because if i build a 1.77 screen with 2,4 meters width, it will be too big for my wall (because of the eight of the screen).

If i choose the cinemascope size of screen, here comes the problem.
I've seen the lens memory of the JVC X30 working to my dealer's shop. It seemed to be great. But i've heard that some people had problem with the memory lens. It wasn't coming back to the right place after zooming for 2.35 contents...

So i have 2 simples questions :

- 1.77 or 2.35 ?
- those who use the lens memory, does it work fine ? Do you think it's a good idea to use it each time i want to watch a 2.35 movie (i ask because JVC seemed to have problems in a near past with the quality of its units (especially bulbs) ?

By the way, i don't know if this is important or not but i will use an HTPC to feed my JVC. So if i choose a 2.35 width screen, each time the movie will ended, i'll have to use the lens memory to go back to 1.77 width for Windows...

Thanks.

Vincent

If you run out of height before width, a 2.35 screen would be the way to go especially considering your viewing habbits. It sounds like your 1.78 image will be the same size either way, but with a 2.35 screen you will get a much larger and more dramatic scope image which is the way it is meant to be seen.

The other great thing about a 2.35 screen is the side bars are much less noticeable I find since they are not projected light like you get with the top/bottom bars on a 1.78 screen. Masking was always in the back of my mind with my 1.78 screen, but I have never felt the need with the side bars on the 2.35 screen as they simply do not draw attention.

As far as lens memory, more times than not, I have to tweak the lens shift slightly with my particular 45 since it rarely is dead on. It is not that far off, but I still find I need to tweak it slightly in either the vertical, horizontal or both. I dont find this to be a big deal at all, but the memory function (on my 45 at least) is definitely not perfect.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #2098 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
kertofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Prostic, if you are thinking of building a DIY 2.35 screen then once you have it setup and are happy with where you have your lens then you can simply zoom/focus to get a 16X9 setup on the screen and set lens memory.

Best of both worlds!
kertofer is offline  
post #2099 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
KMR
Senior Member
 
KMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I'd go 2.35 if you watch more movies, but also keep in mind that the black bars on the JVC are so dark that even if you do not go 2.35, the black bars really are not very visible at all compared to most projectors. You can still see them a tiny bit, but hardly, it almost looks like masking without masking.

Coderguy, is your viewing area a batcave-type room, with dark walls, ceiling, etc.? I keep wondering if the better black levels of the RS45 wouldn't matter in a non-batcave room.
KMR is offline  
post #2100 of 4457 Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,981
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
It is, but I am not watching the JVC in the same room I set it up in, because I am re-doing the room and had to move stuff out of the way. I thought the room was good to go but it has cooling issues. Right now I have 2 white walls and a partly white ceiling in this temporary room I'm using, but they are pretty far apart. The blacks don't look as good as the other room, but they still look pretty good and the contrast still helps.

My main problem is cooling, I have an AC guy coming to look at it in a couple days and try to make it so that I don't have to close the vents around the house to keep this one room cool. I have another projector in this same room and 2 PC's and this room was always a little warmer than the others, so it's a triple issue.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off