DLP or 3LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to not upgrade my 46" Sony Bravia. I am interested in projectors. I was having a discussion with a friend who is upgrading to a 65" Panasonic Plasma because it has a 600HTz refresh rate and the TV is rated very high in quality. I watch Sports, Play Games like Gran Turismo, & Movies. The friend said that plasma was the only way for me to go since I like things with fast motion. That the refresh rate would make thing look much better. I thought that once you had a refresh rate above 240 the eye could not tell much difference. I have never even seen HD. Home Theater 1080P through a projector , Had never even considered that my games might look great threw a projector. If I was considering spending 4500.00 on a TV like the Panasonic, then why not consider 3500 - 4500 on a projector?

I have total control over the light in the room. The room is almost 32' x 16'. It won't be after I build a false wall that I can walk behind to attend the equipment. So I am reading about DLP projectors and 3LCD projectors and that technology and it dawns on me ... do these projectors have problems with blur when the camera pans left & right? TVs do but that does not mean projectors do. Are there projectors made with both technologies? I am currently looking at an Epson Power Lite Pro Cinema 9700UB it has 3LCD technology but I don't see the other. If a projector has one does it need the other?

It will be hooked up to an Oppo-93, the whole thing powered by Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, & UPA-1, UMC-1. These I already own. It is time to upgrade how everything is displayed. I can watch the news or normal TV a 46 Sony, I am happy with the picture for normal viewing.

So I guess my question is:

1) Do projectors have problems with the camera panning Left & Right
2) DLP & 3LCD are two different technologies, it is my understanding that both technologies provide better pictures than Plasma?
3) Do they make projectors with both?
4) Do they make Projectors under 5k with both?

Thank You,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

After reading all the way threw both technologies I can see that there would be no projector with both technologies. These two technologies compete against each other. I imagine which one is best would spark a big discussion so really I think I just want to know if Projectors have any problem with the motion blur like TV's do. I would think not as ... I think it is caused by how fast the pixels are lit up? and that is why a fast refresh rate eliminates the problem but that is probably very simplistic. I know that projectors have a resolution rating like 1920x1080 but that does not necessarily mean they have physical pixels to light up like a TV does? So if there is no actual pixel then is there a motion blur problem? My guess is no, but I am waiting to see if anyone here can enlighten me
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. yes some do (not as simple as the technology used)
2. depends on what you value in a good picture. plasmas are much birghter
3. yes and you should check out LCOS too (DILA)
4. Yes there are plenty of great projectors under $5k...even under $2k!

Yes they have individual pixels.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by g48dd View Post

I have decided to not upgrade my 46" Sony Bravia. I am interested in projectors. I was having a discussion with a friend who is upgrading to a 65" Panasonic Plasma because it has a 600HTz refresh rate and the TV is rated very high in quality. I watch Sports, Play Games like Gran Turismo, & Movies. The friend said that plasma was the only way for me to go since I like things with fast motion. That the refresh rate would make thing look much better. I thought that once you had a refresh rate above 240 the eye could not tell much difference. I have never even seen HD. Home Theater 1080P through a projector , Had never even considered that my games might look great threw a projector. If I was considering spending 4500.00 on a TV like the Panasonic, then why not consider 3500 - 4500 on a projector?

I have total control over the light in the room. The room is almost 32' x 16'. It won't be after I build a false wall that I can walk behind to attend the equipment. So I am reading about DLP projectors and 3LCD projectors and that technology and it dawns on me ... do these projectors have problems with blur when the camera pans left & right? TVs do but that does not mean projectors do. Are there projectors made with both technologies? I am currently looking at an Epson Power Lite Pro Cinema 9700UB it has 3LCD technology but I don't see the other. If a projector has one does it need the other?

It will be hooked up to an Oppo-93, the whole thing powered by Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, & UPA-1, UMC-1. These I already own. It is time to upgrade how everything is displayed. I can watch the news or normal TV a 46 Sony, I am happy with the picture for normal viewing.

So I guess my question is:

1) Do projectors have problems with the camera panning Left & Right
2) DLP & 3LCD are two different technologies, it is my understanding that both technologies provide better pictures than Plasma?
3) Do they make projectors with both?
4) Do they make Projectors under 5k with both?

Thank You,
Ken

Give us a call and we can help answer your questions and give recommendations.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you that was a big help and I will go read on those technologies.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page