new RS65 / general advice re JVS D-ILA projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a primarily a forum for home theatre, but since you all are a knowledgable bunch I'd love to get the forums feedback on a new setup I'm putting together.

First, rather than a home theatre, this is for post production of independent films... Obviously my priorities are somewhat different than those of a typical home theatre setup.

All work will be done in rec709, and superb color accuracy, accurate luminance / gamma tracking are critical.

Overall brightness is somewhat less of a concern as the setup will be more or less "bat cave" environment with no windows and black duvateen on the walls.

I will be using an external CMS (Lightspace) + a 3DLUT in a blackmagic HDlink Pro (a box used most commonly in post production) to calibrate, but I'd like to use the built in CMS on the RS65 to get as close as possible first.

Apparently the RS55 and RS65 of the 2012 series projectors have a CMS system different from the lower models.

Anyone have any general advice on calibration of these projectors, or "gotchas" that I should know about going into this?

Issues that I have been made aware of are:
1) These projectors tend to drift fairly fast due to thermal changes as well as general bulb changes over time. This is OK, as I will be re-calibrating weekly if not more frequently.

2) I have been told that the "linearity" of these projectors is not great. and that adjusting the gamma to track correctly can be painful. Im hoping that this may have changed with the current 2012 series, and perhaps the current CMS is helpful. Also perhaps using an external CMS and LUT will be useful in this regard. It's hard for me to see how it can be TOO far off from rec709 if it complies with THX, unless they don't let you adjust starting from the THX preset.

Thanks for any thoughts you folks have.

best-
-Nat

p.s. I will be using a roughly 100" screen with a unity gain (1.0 gain). Most likely a stuart snomatte 100, which will be roughly 11-12' from the viewer, and ~14" from the projector.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page