Official JVC RS65/X90 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 151 Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dollar wise you are right 4k diff. But percentage wise, 50%, the cpa in me.
I will ultimately want see them both. But, I agree many changes. Still very happy with my marantz, but this will be the year to upgrade. I did find it interesting that dolbly was using the 3 year old Samsung for their demo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Any Midwest owners of the JVC RS65?
post #33 of 151 Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Hey Tony, still very happy with your Marantz you sold me 3 years ago. but, as you are, ready to move on. Were you out at ces? For the money the x70 seems to be the best.
What other projectors are you considering? I guess you like the 95 sony per your review.
post #34 of 151 Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post

Hey Tony, still very happy with your Marantz you sold me 3 years ago. but, as you are, ready to move on. Were you out at ces? For the money the x70 seems to be the best.
What other projectors are you considering? I guess you like the 95 sony per your review.

Not as much as the Marantz or the Samsung A900B...

I am trying to get someone near WI with a x70/rs55 or the x90/rs65 to bring there unit over so I can calibrate and compare to the Sony.

I have finally build my theater room in my house. That again was the only reason I sold the Marantz to you. It was for part of the down payment for my house at the time.

The Samsung was also amazing, just as the Marantz is, but they just don't have enough light output for my 150" wide Seymour AV audio transparent screen.

If I cant get time to see the JVC's soon, I will just buy the benQ w7000 for now to hold me over till 4k, or next years JVC's.
post #35 of 151 Old 01-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Depends what your time schedule is. My home theater guy buys from JVC. He will set up a comparison for me. The show did not do the job. The LG looked nice but they were not showing in 2d. The only 3d demo that looked bright was Dalite had a set up with stacked Christi projectors (never heard of them) using cardboard polarizing glasses. Pretty bright and good. Is the Samsung A900b the joe kane projector?
post #36 of 151 Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends what your time schedule is. My home theater guy buys from JVC. He will set up a comparison for me. The show did not do the job. The LG looked nice but they were not showing in 2d. The only 3d demo that looked bright was Dalite had a set up with stacked Christi projectors (never heard of them) using cardboard polarizing glasses. Pretty bright and good. Is the Samsung A900b the joe kane projector?

Yes, that is the Joe Kane Projector.

Would your theater guy be willing to stop off in Wisconsin... Lol?
post #37 of 151 Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 AM

Tony
Do you know if my ISCO lens on the Marantz mount will work on the JVC X70 or do I need to get some other mount to fit the projector?
post #38 of 151 Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tony
Do you know if my ISCO lens on the Marantz mount will work on the JVC X70 or do I need to get some other mount to fit the projector?

I do not know unfortunately.
post #39 of 151 Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to find out if there is a way to send a 12v trigger signal to the JVC RS 65 when specific aspect ratios are detected, such as 4:3 content on a source? What I need to do is drop not just the screen up/down, but also the 4:3 masking. That means there needs relays for each of them so when you watch a 4:3 source/program the masking will lower, then when you switch to a channel or source that is widescreen the 4:3 masking will raise.

There is no easy solution from the screen company for this and it should be simple so long as the JVC RS 65 can send a 12v signal when detecting the format of the source. I did not see in the manual how this could be done or if even possible. The only solution we came up with for now is a fancy remote that you can do a lot of things with for sending a specific signal for 12v triggers, such as a graphic button that says "Raise/Lower Screen" and "Raise/Lower Masking". Mainly, these would be something like a Crestron or RTI type of high-end controllers plus the programmable block (about $1,000-2000) solution.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
post #40 of 151 Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There doesnt seem to be too many comments on the X90 thread like there is on the X70 thread, are the sales low on this higher end model?
post #41 of 151 Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

There doesnt seem to be too many comments on the X90 thread like there is on the X70 thread, are the sales low on this higher end model?

Ha, I was just about to post the same question. Any reviews out there?

Adz
post #42 of 151 Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 AM

I have the RS-65 and it has been in use for over a month now. All I can say is that I LOVE how this model projector looks.

It is noticeably brighter than the RS-60, how much I do not know in terms of measurement, but the home theater dealer that did the install commented on it as well. Also, the other nice thing about this year model is you can do "zone" calibration. Instead of only being able to adjust the entire image as a whole, you have a "zoned cursor" that is a box you can move around across sections of the image and tweak just small areas that need them.

Gone too are the color issues, especially on the presets. They never were much of an issue in the past from what most people said so long as it was professionally calibrated. But now, all that is gone it seems. NOTE: Make sure the projector has the latest firmware. It is listed on the JVC web site what serial number runs had the old firmware that still had some issues so it is easy to check against yours. As long as it is past the initial production run of the first 100 units, you are good to go.

My projector has been professionally calibrated and the colors set with the really professional and expensive equipment tools (about $8,000). I would HIGHLY recommend that if you can get an ISF certified person that has had training on how to properly do this to get it done. It does make a difference and gives the picture that extra nice look.

Not much else to say except so far I have been pleased and it looks really nice on my very large projection screen. Many that have been to the CES this year and seen the JVC and newest models from others tend to think you would have to spend about twice the amount of the JVC to get any improvements.

As for reviews, they are nice, but finding a good home theater dealer that you can trust is better. They said this would please me and knew the high standards I have. All I can say is to this point it has and I remain quite happy.
post #43 of 151 Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I have the RS-65 and it has been in use for over a month now. All I can say is that I LOVE how this model projector looks.

It is noticeably brighter than the RS-60, how much I do not know in terms of measurement, but the home theater dealer that did the install commented on it as well. Also, the other nice thing about this year model is you can do "zone" calibration. Instead of only being able to adjust the entire image as a whole, you have a "zoned cursor" that is a box you can move around across sections of the image and tweak just small areas that need them.

Gone too are the color issues, especially on the presets. They never were much of an issue in the past from what most people said so long as it was professionally calibrated. But now, all that is gone it seems. NOTE: Make sure the projector has the latest firmware. It is listed on the JVC web site what serial number runs had the old firmware that still had some issues so it is easy to check against yours. As long as it is past the initial production run of the first 100 units, you are good to go.

My projector has been professionally calibrated and the colors set with the really professional and expensive equipment tools (about $8,000). I would HIGHLY recommend that if you can get an ISF certified person that has had training on how to properly do this to get it done. It does make a difference and gives the picture that extra nice look.

Not much else to say except so far I have been pleased and it looks really nice on my very large projection screen. Many that have been to the CES this year and seen the JVC and newest models from others tend to think you would have to spend about twice the amount of the JVC to get any improvements.

As for reviews, they are nice, but finding a good home theater dealer that you can trust is better. They said this would please me and knew the high standards I have. All I can say is to this point it has and I remain quite happy.

Great summary - thanks for the feedback!

Adz
post #44 of 151 Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NOTE: Make sure the projector has the latest firmware. It is listed on the JVC web site what serial number runs had the old firmware that still had some issues so it is easy to check against yours. As long as it is past the initial production run of the first 100 units, you are good to go.

Do you know what were the fixes in the new firmware over the old?
post #45 of 151 Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

RS65, looking at serial number (last 3 digits) XXXXX197 -- supposed to be the latest batch. Does it sound like it? (does that mean 197th in production).

Adz
post #46 of 151 Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

RS65, looking at serial number (last 3 digits) XXXXX197 -- supposed to be the latest batch. Does it sound like it? (does that mean 197th in production).

That's what I have been told. If you look at the service bulletin for the firmware it seems to confirm it too. You should be good to go until another firmware update.
post #47 of 151 Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Do you know what were the fixes in the new firmware over the old?

Go to the JVC Pro web site and you can read all about it there. Basically, there were some fixes for color issue adjustments on the projector and the update is highly advised if needed.
post #48 of 151 Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go to the JVC Pro web site and you can read all about it there. Basically, there were some fixes for color issue adjustments on the projector and the update is highly advised if needed.

Mine must be a newer one as the serial numbers don't match mine.
post #49 of 151 Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's what I have been told. If you look at the service bulletin for the firmware it seems to confirm it too. You should be good to go until another firmware update.

Its not. Fired it up and software version is 25.051 which is not the latest (28.056). Not the first time a dealer lied or simply didnt know what they were talking about.

By the way, how do you know the 4K /e-shift is on -- is there an adjustment for it somewhere in the menu?

Adz
post #50 of 151 Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Its not. Fired it up and software version is 25.051 which is not the latest (28.056). Not the first time a dealer lied or simply didnt know what they were talking about.

By the way, how do you know the 4K /e-shift is on -- is there an adjustment for it somewhere in the menu?

No, I am NOT wrong and neither was the dealer. We took it direct from the JVC web site service bulletin and the JVC rep. If JVC web site and their rep was both wrong, it would not have been a dealer's fault anyway.

Where you are mistaken, instead of jumping the gun here, is this is the second firmware update the RS-65 unit has had. I went to their web site and the version you are looking at is dated 2-2-2012, which is a newer update than the one I was referring to in my prior post. If you took time to read what I said above, you could see it was a different description than the one that is posted now on their web site. The version I was referring to was dealing mainly with color issues in certain modes of the projector. Now, the newest version at this time is dealing with others which is outlined in the firmware notes.

Bottom line is my post was correct pertaining to the prior firmware update and those serial numbers I posted was on target. But that no longer applies since another update has been released. Hope that clears things up.
post #51 of 151 Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, I am NOT wrong and neither was the dealer. We took it direct from the JVC web site service bulletin and the JVC rep. If JVC web site and their rep was both wrong, it would not have been a dealer's fault anyway.

Where you are mistaken, instead of jumping the gun here, is this is the second firmware update the RS-65 unit has had. I went to their web site and the version you are looking at is dated 2-2-2012, which is a newer update than the one I was referring to in my prior post. If you took time to read what I said above, you could see it was a different description than the one that is posted now on their web site. The version I was referring to was dealing mainly with color issues in certain modes of the projector. Now, the newest version at this time is dealing with others which is outlined in the firmware notes.

Bottom line is my post was correct pertaining to the prior firmware update and those serial numbers I posted was on target. But that no longer applies since another update has been released. Hope that clears things up.

Huh? Don't take it so personal. I think I bought the projector 3 weeks after the last software update and was told it included "the last software update" which was released and posted on Feb 2nd, no? Was it released and posted after my Feb 25th post? If so, then I must apologize.

Btw, what about my question on the 4k upconversion?

Adz
post #52 of 151 Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Huh? Don't take it so personal. I think I bought the projector 3 weeks after the last software update and was told it included "the last software update" which was released and posted on Feb 2nd, no? Was it released and posted after my Feb 25th post? If so, then I must apologize.

Btw, what about my question on the 4k upconversion?

Nothing personal at all, except when you fail to give accurate details and information claiming the information I posted was somehow incorrect. It was NOT and remains so according to JVC officially on their web site.

You have lost me in your communication for what you are wanting. It's all listed on their web site and I am sure your JVC authorized dealer or rep can help. Otherwise, I can not and suggest you contact them for what you need.
post #53 of 151 Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing personal at all, except when you fail to give accurate details and information claiming the information I posted was somehow incorrect. It was NOT and remains so according to JVC officially on their web site.

You have lost me in your communication for what you are wanting. It's all listed on their web site and I am sure your JVC authorized dealer or rep can help. Otherwise, I can not and suggest you contact them for what you need.

I think we're talking way past each other here. I'm not sure what you posted and I was relying more on my dealer to give me accurate information than you, FWIW. It was only my intention to let the thread know that the unit I got, #197, was not the newest batch as confirmed by JVC's site even though I received it 3 weeks AFTER the last firmware update which, in and of itself, is nothing more than frustrating as I can take the time to update myself. Just wished the guy who sells these things knew what he was talking about.

On a more positive note, the projector throws the best picture I've ever seen, so it's nice that the real pricing is coming down while the quality keeps getting better. Not sure it can even noticeably benefit from a costly re-calibration (at least on the color side) since since it looks so darn good.

Has anybody had their Rs65/X90 calibrated yet?

Adz
post #54 of 151 Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 PM

I wish there was a bit more noise regarding this model. Based on the measurements, there is a major jump in contrast with this model vs the RS55.

To this point, there wasn't enough of a contrast increase from my venerable RS20 to justify an upgrade, from the contrast standpoint, strictly speaking.

Not so with the 65. It makes a significant leap in measured contrast, and as such I think should be getting more press.

This projector will reach a STAGGERING contrast ratio of 105,000:1 at D65 while still outputting 300 lumens. By comparison, the RS55 reaches "only" 69,000:1.

I said that I want a doubling of contrast compared to my RS20. The way I have it setup it puts out around 40,000:1 according to cine4home. The RS65 setup in similar manner will achieve 80,000:1 according to the same.

That is an increase worthy of note.
post #55 of 151 Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM

From the JVC literature regarding this projector, there is a special version of software which use the Datacolor Colorfact Spyder 3 to tune the projector. I can't find this anywhere in JVC website.

Does anybody know where it is and kindly point me to it?

Thanks in advance.
post #56 of 151 Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan View Post

I wish there was a bit more noise regarding this model. Based on the measurements, there is a major jump in contrast with this model vs the RS55.

To this point, there wasn't enough of a contrast increase from my venerable RS20 to justify an upgrade, from the contrast standpoint, strictly speaking.

Not so with the 65. It makes a significant leap in measured contrast, and as such I think should be getting more press.

This projector will reach a STAGGERING contrast ratio of 105,000:1 at D65 while still outputting 300 lumens. By comparison, the RS55 reaches "only" 69,000:1.

I said that I want a doubling of contrast compared to my RS20. The way I have it setup it puts out around 40,000:1 according to cine4home. The RS65 setup in similar manner will achieve 80,000:1 according to the same.

That is an increase worthy of note.

It looks like there are very few who own the RS65 thats why I troll on the RS55 thread
post #57 of 151 Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cheng View Post

From the JVC literature regarding this projector, there is a special version of software which use the Datacolor Colorfact Spyder 3 to tune the projector. I can't find this anywhere in JVC website.

Thanks in advance.

CalMAN....has a JVC control feature...maybe thats what you saw.
post #58 of 151 Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cheng View Post

Thanks in advance.

I have it, got it from the JVC site had to use my serial number before i could download it, GaryB linked to it from the avforum site, sorry lost link you will have to search.

Searched for you here you go.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/16233754-post139.html

Spyder4Elite spec lists Front projection as YES so double check on the Pro version
post #59 of 151 Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a brand new RS-65 in my theater replacing a Marantz VP-11S2. First off, the RS-65 is far better than the Marantz in every department except for image noise. Even after 120 hours on the bulb, the RS-65 shows incredible amount of grain/noise in bright images; no problem with dark material.

The unit is calibrated to Rec. 709 D65 with amazing color accuracy. I noticed when calibrating the unit that on low test patters (20% - 30% - 40%) the whites shows distracting artifacts. I really don't know if this is a normal thing on D-ILA projectors since coming from a high end DLP. I've tried every color mode, MPC level, sharpness and noise reduction set to 0, to no avail. The only thing that works is applying DNR in my blu-ray player, but that kills the naturalness of the image.

Any advice on this issue?

Current set-up:

Perfectly light control room

Screen - Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 92" 16x9
18.1 - FL

User 1
Film mode
Gamma - Custom (2.3 - 2.23 calibrated)
Color Management - Custom 1
Contrast - (-6)
Brightness - (-5)
Color - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 0
NR - 0
MPC Level - 2
Lens Aperture - (-12)
Lamp - High mode

Thanks in advance
post #60 of 151 Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

the RS-65 shows incredible amount of grain/noise in bright images; no problem with dark material.

Just to be clear: You're seeing this on test patterns from digital sources like the AVS709 or Digital Video Essentials test discs right? Not on actual movie (film based content).

You've got the projector connected via HDMI correct?

I've never seen distracting artifacts like you describe on D-ILA.

Quote:

The only thing that works is applying DNR in my blu-ray player, but that kills the naturalness of the image.

This is telling. If you're able to get rid of it in the source then it's not something the projector is adding.

What blu-ray player? What source content are you using?

Kal
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Pro Dla Rs65u3d Reference Series 3d Home Cinema 4k Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page