Official JVC RS65/X90 Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 151 Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
... which bodes the question, how exactly is the "fine" zone convergence actaully implemented ?

Does anyone have a link to a detailed tech explanation ?

- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 151 Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I wouldn't use that feature if convergence was off by a quarter of a pixel. I would leave it as is. I don't see how the alignment feature would not negatively affect the picture.

Interested in your thoughts on this, do you really think using this feature would have a negative affect on the image?
post #123 of 151 Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Interested in your thoughts on this, do you really think using this feature would have a negative affect on the image?

Well it might have a very slight negative affect on the picture. To picture purists, that might be a big deal! JonStatt from AVforums reviewed his X70 and had this to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The X70/X90 feature a much more flexible convergence adjustment than the X30 and last year's models. As well as full pixel jumps there are now partial pixel movements including the ability to address this in individual parts of the screen. Of course the panels themselves are not really moving, so this is a very clever technique using two adjacent pixels. An implementation like this was first seen with Sony projectors. Sony users noted that adjusting convergence using this technique could result in a loss of resolution or motion artifacts. In my brief play I noted neither, but it is hard to see that there would not be some slight side effect. As convergence is often not linear across the screen, my suggestion is to set the middle of the screen using whole pixel adjustments only. You can achieve whole pixel adjustments at specific parts of the screen using the zone specific adjustment and by shifting a colour 16 points. Then use the fine tune zone convergence as a last resort. If the misconvergence is 0.3 of a pixel or less, I would suggest leaving any adjustment alone. The JVC implementation for the zone convergence adjustment is very intriguing. As you adjust a colour vertically or horizontally within the zone, it actually pivots the change at an angle from one side of the selected zone. This is to allow for convergence that changes gradually at an angle across the screen. This is a brilliant implementation but it requires considerable effort to dial in.

post #124 of 151 Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Interesting, I am having mine installed next week. My installer, whom I know well from Sony G90 days, has set up 11 of these projectors already, and he indicates the fine zone convergence works wonders. He said it takes extra time but produces outstanding results. The only negative would come if the installer does not take the time to complete a full convergence in which case you would have mis-alignment!
post #125 of 151 Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a brand new RS-65 in my theater replacing a Marantz VP-11S2. First off, the RS-65 is far better than the Marantz in every department except for image noise. Even after 120 hours on the bulb, the RS-65 shows incredible amount of grain/noise in bright images; no problem with dark material.

I currently have the Marantz 11S2 and thought I'd never want to move away from it. Still love it, but made the mistake of walking into my local dealer's showcase room the other week with their new RS-65 on display. Damn impressive. Here I have all that tied up in the Marantz AND a Panamorph lens. Just purchased a full Paradigm Sig8 set up from them and now am looking at this.

Any other direct comparisons you can lend between the two units? I am very surprised you refer to the Marantz as dim in your posts. I rarely ever have it above Iris 2 except for sports. Watch during day and eve, not completely light controlled in day. Lamp is at 1300 hours (2nd lamp).

Anyhow, have read through your threads and look forward to anything else you can compare between the two.
post #126 of 151 Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Any one encounter below problem:-

When I turned on the X90, the standby LED turned green, the lens cover opened and the lamp started to light up. About 30 seconds the lamp shut down and the Lamp led turned yellow and Warning led turned red. The Lamp & Warning led flash three times cycle.

I tried to unplug all the power, all HDMI connection & 3D emitter. I took out the lamp and checked no problem.

What went wrong, I checked the manual and can't make my X90 work.

Anyone can shed some light?

Bryan
post #127 of 151 Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cheng View Post

Any one encounter below problem:-

When I turned on the X90, the standby LED turned green, the lens cover opened and the lamp started to light up. About 30 seconds the lamp shut down and the Lamp led turned yellow and Warning led turned red. The Lamp & Warning led flash three times cycle.

I tried to unplug all the power, all HDMI connection & 3D emitter. I took out the lamp and checked no problem.

What went wrong, I checked the manual and can't make my X90 work.

Anyone can shed some light?

Bryan

Look down inside the lamp. Look for "crazing" of the glass. When my lamp blew, I couldn't see the damage at first. You need to look closely deep inside the lamp. I posted pics in the RS55 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21976066

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #128 of 151 Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Look down inside the lamp. Look for "crazing" of the glass. When my lamp blew, I couldn't see the damage at first. You need to look closely deep inside the lamp. I posted pics in the RS55 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21976066

I checked the lamp, it didn't blow as I said before when it turned on it lightened up but before the DILA logo appear it switch off.

post #129 of 151 Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I checked the lamp, it didn't blow as I said before when it turned on it lightened up but before the DILA logo appear it switch off.

When my lamp blew out, it did so at the same point you mentioned, on startup. If you're sure it's not the lamp, then call your dealer, or just call JVC Professional directly:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/c...oductId=PRO2.2

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #130 of 151 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 AM

Hi Craig,

Just replaced a new lamp, but the warning & lamp indicators still flashing three times in a row.

No choice, next stop is repair centre

Bryan

edit: just a wild guess, can firmware upgrade possible when the X90 can't boot up? If it is possible, will the firmware upgrade cure this problem?
post #131 of 151 Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi Craig,

Just replaced a new lamp, but the warning & lamp indicators still flashing three times in a row.

No choice, next stop is repair centre

Bryan

edit: just a wild guess, can firmware upgrade possible when the X90 can't boot up? If it is possible, will the firmware upgrade cure this problem?

Yes, the firmware update addresses an "inoperable condition" but whether it is *your* inoperable condition, I cannot say. Go the the JVC Pro website I linked earlier, enter you current firmware number and they will tell you if you need the firmware update.

In the meantime, you may be able to make the projector operative again by unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plugging it back in.

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #132 of 151 Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Yes, the firmware update addresses an "inoperable condition" but whether it is *your* inoperable condition, I cannot say. Go the the JVC Pro website I linked earlier, enter you current firmware number and they will tell you if you need the firmware update.

In the meantime, you may be able to make the projector operative again by unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plugging it back in.

Good luck.

Craig

I forgot what firmware version in my X90, but I remembered there is newer firmware available but I just don't bother when the X90 has no problem

Do you know whether I can still upgrade the firmware when the X90 cannot boot up?

The X90 has been unplugged for more than 18 hours before I replaced a new lamp, no luck.

Bryan
post #133 of 151 Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I forgot what firmware version in my X90, but I remembered there is newer firmware available but I just don't bother when the X90 has no problem

Do you know whether I can still upgrade the firmware when the X90 cannot boot up?

The X90 has been unplugged for more than 18 hours before I replaced a new lamp, no luck.

Bryan

You can check the current firmware on your pj by going to the "Information" menu.

I don't know if you can update the firmware with an un-bootable projector.

Have you contacted your dealer or JVC?

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #134 of 151 Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:

You can check the current firmware on your pj by going to the "Information" menu.

Craig

I can't even boot it up how can I go to the Information menu

I haven't contacted them yet, too busy

Bryan
post #135 of 151 Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Craig

Craig,
Were you able to do the fw upgrade ver 28.xxx using the lan connection? If so, what did you do exactly in the laptop (what laptop, process, did you turn off all wireless functions, etc) ? I get mine to work and even called jvc prof 3x and they were useless. The last guy told me it doesnt work with windows7 which is ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

Adz
post #136 of 151 Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

Craig,
Were you able to do the fw upgrade ver 28.xxx using the lan connection? If so, what did you do exactly in the laptop (what laptop, process, did you turn off all wireless functions, etc) ? I get mine to work and even called jvc prof 3x and they were useless. The last guy told me it doesnt work with windows7 which is ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an RS55, but I think the process is the same. There is a pdf "instructions" file that comes with the software download from JVC. I had to buy a new LAN cable because both the cables I had here were "crossover" cables, and you need a "straight" cable. Once I did that, it was easy. Just be sure your HDMI sources are all disconnected. Then follow the instructions to install the software, set up the LAN and perform the firmware update.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #137 of 151 Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have an RS55, but I think the process is the same. There is a pdf "instructions" file that comes with the software download from JVC. I had to buy a new LAN cable because both the cables I had here were "crossover" cables, and you need a "straight" cable. Once I did that, it was easy. Just be sure your HDMI sources are all disconnected. Then follow the instructions to install the software, set up the LAN and perform the firmware update.

Craig

I did get pretty far, all the way up to performing the update, but then I get an error message so maybe its the cable. Also you disconnected your hdmi cables on th back of the projector? Didnt say that in the instructions but I'll try that as well.

Adz
post #138 of 151 Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

I did it because of this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21611161

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #139 of 151 Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Special on remaining stock RS65's. Call for details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #140 of 151 Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Ok, just made the decision and will get the RS65! Goodbye to the G70 that served me well for... wait for it... 13years!!! I got OTA Super Bowl from the Panasonic trucks in 2000. What a party that was.

I still have a brand new set of Sony tubes in the box. Never got around to retubing the beast. Couldn't for the life of me get anyone to retube it for me, either. I just got tired of working on it myself.

Anyway, here is my question: What ceiling bracket should I get to realize the flushest to the ceiling mount? The rest of the install looks like a cake walk compared to my most excellent CRT install 14 years ago. biggrin.gif

Rick
post #141 of 151 Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Green View Post

Ok, just made the decision and will get the RS65! Goodbye to the G70 that served me well for... wait for it... 13years!!! I got OTA Super Bowl from the Panasonic trucks in 2000. What a party that was.
I still have a brand new set of Sony tubes in the box. Never got around to retubing the beast. Couldn't for the life of me get anyone to retube it for me, either. I just got tired of working on it myself.
Anyway, here is my question: What ceiling bracket should I get to realize the flushest to the ceiling mount? The rest of the install looks like a cake walk compared to my most excellent CRT install 14 years ago. biggrin.gif
Rick

The Chief RPA-281 is about the most flush I have seen. Ballpark 2.5" from ceiling to projector... Really I don't think it could be any smaller and still allow one to adjust the various tilt/skew.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #142 of 151 Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

The Chief RPA-281 is about the most flush I have seen. Ballpark 2.5" from ceiling to projector... Really I don't think it could be any smaller and still allow one to adjust the various tilt/skew.

Thanks, that was the one I was looking at.
post #143 of 151 Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Welcome. They are about the best, and with a unit of this size tend to do best with the weight. Many of the "lesser" companies mounts end up moving over time...very frustrating.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #144 of 151 Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 227
We have one RS65 left - call Mike or myself for a special " End of the World " price ( hurry - we will all be dead tomorrow - unless you're of Mayan decent ) !! biggrin.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #145 of 151 Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM

I am in the process of building out my basement with a hometheater and am trying to pick out equipment. I am trying to decide on a preamp to go with the JVC DLA-RS65 projector. I understand that JVC bills this as 4K but eshift is not "real" 4K. How important is it to find a preamp with 4K pass through with this quasi 4K projector?I would like to go with the Emo UMC-200 as it $600 and save some $$ for amps and nicer speakers, but will drop extra for a Marantz AV-7701, Integra DHC-80.3, or Emo XMC-1 (Coming Soon) as these all appear to have 4K passthrough. Long story short, here are my options:

1. Emo UMC-200, Emo XPA-3, XPA-2
2. One of the three 4K preamps with pass through (Marantz AV-7701, Integra DHC-80.3, or Emo XMC-1) and Emo XPA-3, XPA-2
3. AV receiver with 4K to power the surrounds and the center and use a EMO XPA-2 for the fronts.

Any and all help woudl be eagerly appreciated!

Thanks,
skan
post #146 of 151 Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanani View Post

I am in the process of building out my basement with a hometheater and am trying to pick out equipment. I am trying to decide on a preamp to go with the JVC DLA-RS65 projector. I understand that JVC bills this as 4K but eshift is not "real" 4K. How important is it to find a preamp with 4K pass through with this quasi 4K projector?I would like to go with the Emo UMC-200 as it $600 and save some $$ for amps and nicer speakers, but will drop extra for a Marantz AV-7701, Integra DHC-80.3, or Emo XMC-1 (Coming Soon) as these all appear to have 4K passthrough. Long story short, here are my options:

1. Emo UMC-200, Emo XPA-3, XPA-2
2. One of the three 4K preamps with pass through (Marantz AV-7701, Integra DHC-80.3, or Emo XMC-1) and Emo XPA-3, XPA-2
3. AV receiver with 4K to power the surrounds and the center and use a EMO XPA-2 for the fronts.

Any and all help woudl be eagerly appreciated!

Thanks,
skan

The eshift/eshift2 projectors don't accept a 4k signal, only 1080p.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #147 of 151 Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Nice to see my X70 review is still useful and still being read! Thanks for quoting it. I just wanted to clarify on the fine convergence as I found out a bit more since I wrote that review.

I did manage to prove that there is indeed a hit to resolution when using it. But it depends on how much you shift it. For example, the fine convergence has a range of 16 steps to move it a whole pixel. In other words, 8 steps would be equal to 0.5 a pixel. If you change red vertically by 8 steps, and then display 1 pixel red grid test pattern, you will notice that there are now TWO lines of red sub pixels on every vertical row instead of 1! In other words you have just halved the resolution of red in the vertical orientation. Now of course, this is just one sub colour and only in one orientation. This is a worst case scenario, but I wanted to explain it so that you understood it does have an impact. When I was testing it with the X70, I was using smaller adjustments like 3 or 4 steps. As I mentioned in the review, this is a bit of trickery as the panels are not moving. I was searching for a technical explanation which I saw previously for the Sony implementation but I cannot find it now. But In mathematical terms, the less you shift, the less resolution loss you will have. For example 8 steps means halving the resolution in that direction, 4 steps would be a quarter. There are some strange colour distortions you will also see with certain test pattern also.

However, my guidance in my review is still the advice I would give today. Use the zone convergence adjustments at the boundaries of the image only. This way you can prevent visible fringing and is normally where misconvergence is worst. So start by adjusting full pixel adjustments across the whole screen and optimize the centre of the screen in this way. If it is not perfect, live with it! Red/Green convergence is MUCH more important than blue. Blue misconvergence almost had no effect on the perception of sharpness from seated. After optimizing the centre with whole pixel shifts, then use the fine convergence for the boundaries of the image. Trust me, the less you use this, the better. I am glad the feature is there, but it's not a magic bullet.
post #148 of 151 Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

However, my guidance in my review is still the advice I would give today. Use the zone convergence adjustments at the boundaries of the image only. This way you can prevent visible fringing and is normally where misconvergence is worst. So start by adjusting full pixel adjustments across the whole screen and optimize the centre of the screen in this way. If it is not perfect, live with it! Red/Green convergence is MUCH more important than blue. Blue misconvergence almost had no effect on the perception of sharpness from seated. After optimizing the centre with whole pixel shifts, then use the fine convergence for the boundaries of the image. Trust me, the less you use this, the better. I am glad the feature is there, but it's not a magic bullet.
+1. Wise words.

It's interesting to note that everything mentioned above is also 100% true for a CRT projector setup as well. We've come full circle and are setting up digitals the same way now. wink.gif

Kal
post #149 of 151 Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Howdy....anyone know which lamp version the rs65 x90 shipped with?
post #150 of 151 Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post

Howdy....anyone know which lamp version the rs65 x90 shipped with?

The 65 originally shipped with version 2 lamp.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Pro Dla Rs65u3d Reference Series 3d Home Cinema 4k Projector
Gear in this thread - Rs65u3d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page