Official JVC RS65/X90 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I may be one of the first to POST... It is being installed today along with a brand new Silverstar screen I hope to have everything up and running here tonight!!!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Congrats!. I get mine tomorrow and its going up the same day. Will be posting my thoughts/pix tomorrow night if all goes well and I get it on time.

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #3 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Not off to a good start here... Calling JVC but I suspect it will be going back and I will be getting another one

BTW this is with nothing plugged into the unit.. just it powered on
LL
LL
post #4 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer!
post #5 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Hmmm. A lot of the first RS55s had issues too. It seems like JVC really rushed their first batch off the the production lines. I can understand why they did it. Most major manufacturers have already released one if not several of their new products already. They really needed to play some catch up. But at what cost? When you spend the extra money on the 65 you should have 0 problems. That's the reason you paid the premium price.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ouch...so much for hand selected parts, I would be issuing a major complaint if I were you...Not good that one of the first out the gate has problems....Has me nervous now too.

La Sirena III Theater
post #7 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it was damaged in shipping? Hard to believe it got past quality control. Especially this (hand picked parts) model.
post #8 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

The "new" one should be here by noon today.. I am going to call JVC later on today and see if I can at least get a new/spare bulb out of it.
post #9 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Fast service (from whomever you bought it from)!
post #10 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just got notified that my RS-65 has arrived. Will be picking up from our shipping dept in about an hour and meeting up with my installer shortly after. by cob today will have it up and running. Will start posting impressions and pix tonight!

La Sirena III Theater
post #11 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Just got notified that my RS-65 has arrived. Will be picking up from our shipping dept in about an hour and meeting up with my installer shortly after. by cob today will have it up and running. Will start posting impressions and pix tonight!

Jim, that is exciting to check out a new projector. once you get everything settled in, I am curious to hear your thoughts going from CRT - > RS50 - > RS65 and what real improvements you notice, etc.

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 151 Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The company I got it from is doing a good job. It actually is part of a larger install with Cameras. door locks, Calibration, media server(s) and what not. So far I have been pretty happy with them.

Back on Topic JVC is requesting the unit back and so far has not had any other issues reported to them. Based on serial number I got the 100th unit off the line 166B0100 (X90's start with the 166B) and that assumes they started with Zero.

To some of the others that have more experience any clue what is going on with those Red lines?

I will be posting light output here in the near future as it is going to be calibrated as well
post #13 of 151 Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Got the projector up lastnight and was able to spend a little bit of time with it, but not as much as I would like due to a commitment to take the kids out to look at xmas lights.. .

Initial impressions are great. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. the RS65 is a lot brighter than my RS50 was. The difference for me is night and day on my 2.:35, 130 diag, 1.4 gain Black Diamond 3 screen. The RS50 lit it up, but I was alwasy wanting for more light. I never did see the RS50 for 3D. The RS65 is so bright even with the IRIS cranked down to the max, its still a major difference. I guess part of this is the new bulb. My RS50 had 150 hours on it. I like the extra brigtness, but I do hope that it will dim a little over the next 50 hours or so.

2. Lens memory - works great. Easy to use and so far pretty exact. I have it set for 16x9 and 2:35 and love it. Others have complained on the time it takes to change aspecs, but for me this is not a problem. Would be nice if it was one button rather than a few button presses, but it works well and is a big improvement over manual.

3. Black Level - as indicated above this is a bright projector, and on a full black screen has higher black levels than my RS50. I attribute that to the new bulb in part. During normal movie use I cant tell a differerence. It looks great, its only duriung fade to black that I can notice it. Overall I am happy with the black level althought I dont think its a step up at this point.

4. eshift - works, no pixel structure is visable at my seating dist or right on top of the screen which is cool. I havent compared to having it turned off, but the picture is pleasing and not digital. Coming from a G90 I can say that the picture is sharper with eshift on than my g90 was, but so was my RS50. Overall I have no complaints on eshift and I havent noticed any artifacting induced because of it. If someone could PM me how to access the service menu I would like to compare with it on and off to give a better opinion. Overall happy with it though.

Problems: - I have the white letter smearing issue talked about on the RS55 thread. Only noticiable if you are right up on top of the screen and disapears when you backup a few feet, but its there. Not sure what can be done about that. Another thing is when in focus mode, I have noticed that when I first start the make the focus adjustment the lens shifts a like 2-3 inches to the upper right before starting to focus. The next time I do adjustment it shifts back. The focus itself works fine, just shifts at first. Did not see that on my RS50.

I plan to have the unit calibrated. I am not that technical to discuss the color profiles. I currently run the unit in the vivid setting because I like saturated colors.

I will post more tonight as I get more time to play with it.

La Sirena III Theater
post #14 of 151 Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Further thoughts? How is convergence using one pixel grid?
post #15 of 151 Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
The initial sign-up deadline for the 2011-2012 JVC lamp measurement project has passed and we now have 40 people participating in the project! But I was hoping to get at least 50 participants, and more would be better, so I am going to extend the sign-up deadline.

Extended sign-up deadline: Friday, 16th December

If you have a new 2011-2012 JVC projector, or expect to have one by the end of January 2012, please sign up now! To sign up, you can PM me or post in the project thread:

AVS:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21276994

AVF:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...t-project.html

Participating in the project should only take a few minutes of your time each month.

If you don't have a light meter, you can order a cheap one online. See post #7 for recommendations.
post #16 of 151 Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM

Looks like my RS-65U has just arrived. I'm hoping to have it mounted and powered up replacing my HD750 tonight.

Has anyone spent any time playing around with theirs yet? this user thread seems a little lacking compared to the RS-55 thread!
Does anyone have any additional impressions to Jim's?
One question I do have is if the screen codes have changed from last years model's, and would anyone have the code to a stewart firehawk G3.

cheers,

Michael
post #17 of 151 Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Hmmm. A lot of the first RS55s had issues too. It seems like JVC really rushed their first batch off the the production lines. I can understand why they did it. Most major manufacturers have already released one if not several of their new products already. They really needed to play some catch up. But at what cost? When you spend the extra money on the 65 you should have 0 problems. That's the reason you paid the premium price.

I am not aware of any RS55s that have been sent back as faulty? There is always the usual, "is this right" or "that isn't how it should be" type discussions, but I don't recall anyone returning one yet that has posted on here.

I fully agree an RS65 should be nothing less than fully functional and outstanding!
post #18 of 151 Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Got the projector up lastnight and was able to spend a little bit of time with it, but not as much as I would like due to a commitment to take the kids out to look at xmas lights.. .

Initial impressions are great. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. the RS65 is a lot brighter than my RS50 was. The difference for me is night and day on my 2.:35, 130 diag, 1.4 gain Black Diamond 3 screen. The RS50 lit it up, but I was alwasy wanting for more light. I never did see the RS50 for 3D. The RS65 is so bright even with the IRIS cranked down to the max, its still a major difference. I guess part of this is the new bulb. My RS50 had 150 hours on it. I like the extra brigtness, but I do hope that it will dim a little over the next 50 hours or so.

2. Lens memory - works great. Easy to use and so far pretty exact. I have it set for 16x9 and 2:35 and love it. Others have complained on the time it takes to change aspecs, but for me this is not a problem. Would be nice if it was one button rather than a few button presses, but it works well and is a big improvement over manual.

3. Black Level - as indicated above this is a bright projector, and on a full black screen has higher black levels than my RS50. I attribute that to the new bulb in part. During normal movie use I cant tell a differerence. It looks great, its only duriung fade to black that I can notice it. Overall I am happy with the black level althought I dont think its a step up at this point.

4. eshift - works, no pixel structure is visable at my seating dist or right on top of the screen which is cool. I havent compared to having it turned off, but the picture is pleasing and not digital. Coming from a G90 I can say that the picture is sharper with eshift on than my g90 was, but so was my RS50. Overall I have no complaints on eshift and I havent noticed any artifacting induced because of it. If someone could PM me how to access the service menu I would like to compare with it on and off to give a better opinion. Overall happy with it though.

Problems: - I have the white letter smearing issue talked about on the RS55 thread. Only noticiable if you are right up on top of the screen and disapears when you backup a few feet, but its there. Not sure what can be done about that. Another thing is when in focus mode, I have noticed that when I first start the make the focus adjustment the lens shifts a like 2-3 inches to the upper right before starting to focus. The next time I do adjustment it shifts back. The focus itself works fine, just shifts at first. Did not see that on my RS50.

I plan to have the unit calibrated. I am not that technical to discuss the color profiles. I currently run the unit in the vivid setting because I like saturated colors.

I will post more tonight as I get more time to play with it.

A shortcut has leaked out about how to engage/disengage MPC

Press
Right-Left-Right-Left

The word demo should appear in the top right and the current status of MPC. Next you can press left or right to cycle MPC on and off.

The RS55/RS65 ARE brighter than last years RS50/RS60 so its not just the new bulb. But of course you will have to lose some brightness in the opening hours. That is unavoidable..but in your case desirable.

I don't like the sound of the focus/lens shift issue. My RS55 does not do that. I have heard of this last year that some users had the same thing. THe lens has not changed since last year. If you are setting and forgetting, then I guess it doesn't really matter...as long as the lens memory function isn't affected by this and knocks your focus out.
post #19 of 151 Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Another thing is when in focus mode, I have noticed that when I first start the make the focus adjustment the lens shifts a like 2-3 inches to the upper right before starting to focus. The next time I do adjustment it shifts back. The focus itself works fine, just shifts at first. Did not see that on my RS50.

My 45 does this and being that its my first projector I didn't know what to expect. I've been playing around with it quite a bit, but I haven't noticed any severe focus issues from using lens memory, but I'm keeping my eye on it...
post #20 of 151 Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM

any update
post #21 of 151 Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahsean View Post

My 45 does this and being that its my first projector I didn't know what to expect. I've been playing around with it quite a bit, but I haven't noticed any severe focus issues from using lens memory, but I'm keeping my eye on it...

Are you guys saying that when you go to focus the projector the entire image jumps 2-3 inches? I get a small jump when doing the focus on my 40/45, but it is only a fraction of an inch at best.

My lens shift can drift a bit during big LFE films on the 45. My 40 was better/more stable in this area.......not perfect either, but better.

Lens memory is rarely ever accurate for me on my unit/setup. I usually always have to make a lens shift adjustment and sometimes after that a focus adjustment (since the shift can knock the focus out slightly). Not a huge deal, but still annoying.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #22 of 151 Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerder View Post

The company I got it from is doing a good job. It actually is part of a larger install with Cameras. door locks, Calibration, media server(s) and what not. So far I have been pretty happy with them.

Back on Topic JVC is requesting the unit back and so far has not had any other issues reported to them. Based on serial number I got the 100th unit off the line 166B0100 (X90's start with the 166B) and that assumes they started with Zero.

To some of the others that have more experience any clue what is going on with those Red lines?

I will be posting light output here in the near future as it is going to be calibrated as well

I have an x70 and my Serial is 166B0171 so that is weird. I also have problems as well so maybe its the 1xx batch!
post #23 of 151 Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM

any update
post #24 of 151 Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Considering the RS65. A couple of questions.

What are the differences between the RS55 and RS65?
What is the bulb replacement cost of the RS65?
What is the bulb life?
What is the competition for the RS65? (what else should I be looking at?)
How light controlled does the room need to be?

Need to check one out and see if my wife can handle the 3D effect. Many of the active 3D systems give her headaches. So, for me it is going to either be a projector like this, the SIM2 Mico 150 (can get at a good price), or a passive solution like the new LG 84" 4k LCD set.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

This would be the primary set for both TV and movie watching.

Thanks

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

- Affiliated
post #25 of 151 Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM

any update
post #26 of 151 Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Tested The Dark Knight same room conditions (Batcave).

PC source routed through amp dual outpus to Plasma 50V10 THX mode brightness/contrast set and JVC RS65 with below settings matched the plasma except contrast black levels were better on the JVC.....soon to be calibrated.

Picture Mode - Natural
Color Profile - Standard
Color Temp - 6000K
Gamma - C 2.4
Dark Level -0
HDMI enhanced
Bright Level 0
Brightness -15 - 17-25 flashing test pattern
Contrast +30 230-234 flashing test pattern
Sharpness 0 - Detail - 0
MPC - 3
Black Level setting set to 0 to match screen.
Low Lamp - iris -0 42 hours used.
Screen Setting 65 Black Diamond 1.4 110" diag
post #27 of 151 Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Just got the X90 and set it up. Not yet compared in detail with my RS2 (400 hours). However brightness @103 Lux on 6.2sqm screen is more than twice that of the RS2.

One initial issue I noticed is inability to power on/off with my Harmony 900 remote even after I learned the codes. BTW Logitech does not yet have the X90/RS65 in their database - a number of the remote buttons are missing (e.g. 3D, THX)

Will keep posted.
post #28 of 151 Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sat thru the demo at ces twice with the x90. The x70 was showing in a small area with 3d. Really hard to compare to the x90. the sales person was quite helpful, but it seem the main diff was hand selected parts, 2 pairs of glasses and higher contrast ratio. Same lamp, same brightness. Really would like to know why it is worth 50% more then the x70!
What made you decide to buy the x90 over the x70?
Pluses and minuses of both?
Also, saw Wolf (which is JVC modified) they have a 10k and 15k projector. The 15k projector is the x70 modified, so compares to the x90. Very good picture.
It was interesting in the great Dolby demo with the Art of Flight film, they were using a Samsung Joe Kane 3 year old projector that is no longer available. I thought looked pretty great. Ordered a copy of the film for demo on my 4 year old marantz 11s2, their last high end projector. Also saw LG 3d demo on 200 inch screen shown in 3d. So hard to really tell what it really looks like, at 15k. Sony 1000es looked pretty great but was 25k.
Also went over to Dalite and Joe Kane was just giving a demo and had to leave. He was using the screen he developed and was also using his old projector saying it was still the best one out there. Hmmmm.
Simm2 had a demo with a beautiful woman but a terrible location and light. Could not tell anything. And it was a 35k projector.
The black diamond screen demo was great especially when they opened the window and light poured in and the pic still looked great.
Well all this does not pertain to the x90 ... but sorry.
Gerry
post #29 of 151 Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Well, my choice was between the Sim2 and a good JVC. With the rate of change in technology being so fast, and with talks of true 4K (and 4K sources) round the corner, I didn't really want to invest in a Sim2, though it was probably the best projector.

Once I decided on the JVC, it was a choice between the X70 and the X90. I did not do a comparitive audition; just went for the X90 on the basis that it should be better since the manufacturing process was more selective. In any case with a price reference of Sim2, the difference between the X90 and X70 was not that great.

But Sim2 remains my ultimate goal. A stage will come when there will be no more perceptible difference in picture (or I will grow old enough that my eyes cannot make out). At that stage I will probably also need a brighter projector, and Sim2 would tick the boxes for me at that time. Maybe the next upgrade 3 years or so down!
post #30 of 151 Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM

I have a peculiar issue with my X90. When it is in standby, the front IR receiver does not accept the POWER-ON signal from the remote aimed at the screen. It accepts only a directly pointed remote signal.

However once it is powered on, it accepts all other remote signals, including POWER-OFF, reflected off the screen. All this while playing 2D so presumably the 3D emitter is off.

Any ideas?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Pro Dla Rs65u3d Reference Series 3d Home Cinema 4k Projector
Gear in this thread - Rs65u3d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page