AVS Forum banner
66K views 370 replies 95 participants last post by  dwk123 
#1 ·
I got the machine a couple off days now and i love it.

I sold my jvc x3 because i wanted better 3d performance.

The jvc had better blacks with the dark scenes but the mits hc7800 has a absolute stunning picture with the brighter scenes.

And the 3d is absolute great on the hc7800 with great color and no ghosting.

The build quality was better on the jvc The hc7800 feels a little cheap.

So for a 2d and a 3d projector a great buy i think.

I am gonne let it calibrated to get some better blacks if possible.

See less See more
#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstas  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23979772

I use the following settings:

Delay: 2270 usecs

Duty cycle: 107%

These settings work pretty well for both 1920x1080@24Hz and 1280x720@60Hz resolutions.
Thanks! I'll try that. Problem is every time I unplug from the computer, it loses it's settings. I upgraded the firmware. Maybe that's the problem?!

#304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstas  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23979772

I use the following settings:

These settings work pretty well for both 1920x1080@24Hz and 1280x720@60Hz resolutions.

Wow. That actually fixed it. I can't believe I never considered reducing the duty cycle. You just made my year. Thank you so very much!!

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23980185

Thanks! I'll try that. Problem is every time I unplug from the computer, it loses it's settings. I upgraded the firmware. Maybe that's the problem?!

With the PC utility you must hit Save and give it a few seconds to commit to flash or the settings are not saved.

If it stopped saving after applying a firmware update download the latest and greatest firmware and that should resolve the problem. If not PM me and I can mail you a replacement emitter.

#307 ·
I'd love to have someone make me the cable, especially the version that allows me to use both emitters
Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaT  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23987203

Sorry....I haven't been back to this thread in quite awhile. Did your belkin cables do what you were hoping they'd do? If not.....let me know, I can make up a cable for ya. Have any other glasses compared yet to the original Mits quality?

#308 ·
Hey jvh4......I'm in the process of ordering parts to make a cable that'll work with the monster emitter, and allow you to also use the Mitsubishi glasses at the same time. Once I get everything in, I can build the cable and sell it for probably around $30.00.But I'm not sure if it'll work with the optima emitter I've seen on previous post's....from the pic's I've seen, it's identical to the monstervision I made for my system, which has been working flawlessly for the last 8 months.

#309 ·
I've been away for awhile.......I've gotten the monstervision max 3d glasses, and have been "content" with them, but they just don't compare to the nightvision goggle looking 3D glasses that Mitsubishi puts out. Is there a next generation, or version 2.0 out there that has the 3D effect with "NO" ghosting that can replace the original Mitsubishi nose bridge fracturing 3D glass'es?????

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaT  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23992553

Hey jvh4......I'm in the process of ordering parts to make a cable that'll work with the monster emitter, and allow you to also use the Mitsubishi glasses at the same time. Once I get everything in, I can build the cable and sell it for probably around $30.00.But I'm not sure if it'll work with the optima emitter I've seen on previous post's....from the pic's I've seen, it's identical to the monstervision I made for my system, which has been working flawlessly for the last 8 months.

Awesome. I like the Mitsu glasses, but my wife hates them. When I say I like them, I mean the quality of the 3D allows me to tolerate everything else about them. Also in stocking the HT with glasses for guests, I'd like to have some more affordable glasses. No rush, but if you get one put together I'd gladly pay $30+\- for it. Let me know what the parts and labor work out to be.

#311 ·
If 3D is as good with the Mits 7800 as it seems to be with the Mits. 8000 then its a winner. Here's a quote from Sound and Image's review:

"And it was a real reward... the 3D, we mean. We’d expected continued good performance from a DLP projector, but if anything this unit was even better. There was no 3D crosstalk at all, just clean images with a top-class sense of depth in the picture. We paid particular attention to scenes in which 3D crosstalk cancellation techniques can be seen to produce recognisable artefacts, and there wasn’t the slightest hint of these. We think it’s likely that this is just the excellent native performance of a DLP 3D system. The brilliantly fast pixel switching time for DLP (compared with the various LCD technologies) allows each eye’s view to be fully extinguished before the solid-state shutters in the glasses open to reveal the other eye’s view.

On the Werner Bloos test, visible cross-talk was revealed to be effectively 0%. Perfect.

While the 3D picture quality was clearly a winner, usability could be improved. The 3D sync signal so flooded our office with IR that some remotes operated equipment quite uncertainly while the projector was in 3D mode, while other remotes worked with other equipment without any apparent effect.

Happily Mitsubishi seems to have noticed this issue, and has included a useful button on the remote control marked ‘3/D Sync Pause’. This enables and disables the 3D I/R signal, so you can make other changes and then return to your 3D viewing."

Here's the entire review:

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Sound+Image/mitsubishi-hc8000d-review.html

I found one for the 7800 too:

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Sound+Image/mitsubishi-hc7800d-3d-av-projector.html

Here's a quote:

"We watched a couple of Blu-ray 3D movies, including some revealing computer animation. And we rewatched three codes of football from 2010 shot in side-by-side 3D. All looked better than we have seen it before. It was beautiful.

Not only was there not crosstalk, all were also of quite adequate brightness. Then we discovered that by using the ‘3D’ picture mode, the high lamp level was invoked and the picture became brighter!

You can see why we forgive the glasses."

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/270#post_23950662

Well, for one you don't have to buy the Mitsubishi emitter so that will save a good amount of money. And as you can see above the glasses are only around $55 and the set with the emitter and a pair of glasses is $65... so we are looking at a very cheap emitter.

I also heard that RF doesn't lose brightness that IR glasses lose... so maybe they are brighter. I believe the Cine4home review used the 1st generation Optoma / Monster glasses. There is a second edition that is supposedly brighter and lighter.

OLD DESIGN:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Technology-BG-3DRFGLASSES-Rechargeable-Glasses/dp/B005JRMLVK/ref=pd_sim_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/MonsterVision-radiofrequency-compatible-BG-ZF2100GLS-emitter-see/dp/B0091W97PM/ref=pd_sim_e_3

NEW DESIGN:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BG-ZF2100GLS-Active-Shutter-Glasses/dp/B008PQJXFO/ref=pd_sim_e_4
http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6000-RF-3D-Glasses/dp/B00D341DUQ/ref=pd_cp_e_2

And lastly, if the Belkin cables I had imported here (should be here next week hopefully) works, then there is zero hassle or soldering necessary! Will keep you posted.

Hey Cory,

Did the Belkin Cables you ordered end up working? I just picked up the 7900 which hopefully will work the same as the 7800 as far as 3d goes. (I haven't heard otherwize). I'd like to avoid soldering as well.

Thanks!

Joe

#313 ·
No the Belkin cables were in fact DIN and not mini-DIN. The Amazon description was wrong and I received a refund.

However, I do have good news! I very carefully matched the cables just like that which Cine4Home's tutorial states.

SEE BELOW IMAGE FOR CONNECTIONS WITHOUT SOLDERING:

Take apart 5 pin mini-DIN cable that came with projector and take apart mini-RCA that came with 3D RF kit:

Red - Red

Green (mini-DIN) - White (mini-RCA)

White (mini-DIN) - Yellow (mini-RCA)

Tape it up nicely with electrical tape and it works perfectly. I have an HC8000D.

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_23999077

No the Belkin cables were in fact DIN and not mini-DIN. The Amazon description was wrong and I received a refund.

However, I do have good news! I very carefully matched the cables just like that which Cine4Home's tutorial states.

SEE BELOW IMAGE FOR CONNECTIONS WITHOUT SOLDERING:

Take apart 5 pin mini-DIN cable that came with projector and take apart mini-RCA that came with 3D RF kit:

Red - Red

Green (mini-DIN) - White (mini-RCA)

White (mini-DIN) - Yellow (mini-RCA)

Tape it up nicely with electrical tape and it works perfectly. I have an HC8000D.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks for posting the pick and the how to! Are you using the Estar kit and glasses? And how are you liking the 3d?

#315 ·
In reference to the settings I posted about 10 posts back, the 3D has been breathtaking. I don't see a single trace of crosstalk.

The Estar glasses are quite comfortable and the performance is just amazing.

Of course, the price is quite nice too.

#316 ·
So, after watching the new Oz movie in 3D this weekend, my wife informed me that she can see flickering when watching 3D on this projector. I can't see it no matter how hard I try, which is funny since I have better than 20/20 and she has pretty horrible vision.

I understand some people are just more sensitive to it, but will the glasses make any difference or is it just a function of the projector itself? For example if we do the conversion kit to use universal glasses will the setting on the glasses themselves have impact on her ability to see flickering?

#317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_24002720

I understand some people are just more sensitive to it, but will the glasses make any difference or is it just a function of the projector itself? For example if we do the conversion kit to use universal glasses will the setting on the glasses themselves have impact on her ability to see flickering?

I have built a cable that allows me to connect simultaneously both the Optoma RF emitter and the Mitsubishi IR module, so I can use both 3D glass types at the same time.

Both of them exhibit the same amount of flickering.

#320 ·
Oops. Not trying to de-rail this thread, but I have an HC8000D. That setting is found under picture mode/3D. I don't know if that setting is available with the HC7800D. I originally jumped into this thread because I believe the 3D "cable hack" which works with the 7800 will also work with the 8000.

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallibus  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/280_40#post_24015254

Oops. Not trying to de-rail this thread, but I have an HC8000D. That setting is found under picture mode/3D. I don't know if that setting is available with the HC7800D. I originally jumped into this thread because I believe the 3D "cable hack" which works with the 7800 will also work with the 8000.

It does. Takes 5 minutes. Really easy. Have to use normal instead of high speed with the rf glasses

#322 ·
Ok Jvh4,,

I'm putting some cables together right now. They will have the DIN plugs on both ends so you'll still be able to use the Mitsubishi IR emitter, and the plug so you can use the optima/monstervision RF emitter at the same time. It'll be $30.00 and free shipping.....as long as it's in the US. PM me if your still interested in one, and I'll get it on the way. If anyone else is interested in one, just send me a quick message.....I'll have several cables made up just in case. Thanks.

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallibus  /t/1379900/owners-thread-for-mitsubishi-hc7800/300#post_24004752

Hi Cory,

Which RF emitter are you using with your Estar glasses? And what is your setting for the 3D glasses in the Mits menu, high speed or normal?

Bruce

High speed all the way! And I find that the 96 Hz setting is far superior and smoother than the 120 Hz setting.

For the Estar transmitter (with the latest, updated firmware), I use:

#326 ·
Cory,

I just received my Estar glasses and emitter. And the custom cable from WichitaT. How are you able to see where to enter the settings for the Estar emitter (Delay and Duty Cycle?) I connected the emitter to my computer via the USB cable, and nothing "came up" on the screen. Is there a software program I need to download in order to access a settings screen (I didn't see anything on the Estar site?)

Bruce

#327 ·
Hi Bruce,

Just checking in to see if there were any problems.

I've been through the trouble your going through with setting up the emitter. After buying the monstervision emitter I recieved, I was pretty much in the dark with the limited instructions the company sent with the emitter. Nowhere in the instructions was there even a mention to a software program that would allow you to access the settings for the emitter through a computer interface. I did the trial and error attempt using the built in joystick.....and to say the least, was disappointed. I'd hoped that the next gen glasses had addressed that problem.

I finally found the program to allow me to access the emitter, and adjust the settings as required through the computer. So if your unable to get a response for the Estar glasses you've bought, let me know, and I'll send a link to the website I used. It's for the monstervision emitter.......but from all the pics, and spec's I've been able to find.....I'm confident it's compatible.

Oh yeah....and thanks for the mention in the forums. If I can be of any assistance.....just send a message.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.