AVS Forum banner
66K views 370 replies 95 participants last post by  dwk123 
#1 ·
I got the machine a couple off days now and i love it.

I sold my jvc x3 because i wanted better 3d performance.

The jvc had better blacks with the dark scenes but the mits hc7800 has a absolute stunning picture with the brighter scenes.

And the 3d is absolute great on the hc7800 with great color and no ghosting.

The build quality was better on the jvc The hc7800 feels a little cheap.

So for a 2d and a 3d projector a great buy i think.

I am gonne let it calibrated to get some better blacks if possible.

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 /forum/post/21348148

can you elaborate on "JVC had better blacks", is it a HUGE difference, mostly noticeable in extremely dark scenes or in general? what other projectors have you seen to compare the Mitsubishi to?

What size screen do you have? 16:9? or CIH setup?

Hello i try to reply,sorry my english is not that good

The blacks is mostly noticeable in extreem dark scenes.

But in light scenes the hc7800 rocks

I compared the hc7800 with the sony hw30 and the new panasonic and the jvcx30.

But those projectors still suffer from ghosting in 3d.

For 2d there are better projectors out there but for a combination for 2d and 3d with still a great 2d picture this projector is a great machine i think.

And i had alot of projectors including a old barco 808

#6 ·
Well I had a little install delay and broke my hdmi cable...I'm back up and running now. Very little time on it but really impressed so far. Blacks are great to my eye (Coming from an RS40 also). With batcave in effect in theatre they are very nice. I don't think I'm a black floor addict anyhow....Wow is this thing bright. I'm on low lamp and had a few squinting moments while doing basic contrast and brightness settings on test disc, I love it. Zero ghosting in 3D but again, only watched 2 minutes of it so can't comment much. First impressions are fantastic. PJ central will have full review tomorrow hopefully and I'm sure they are much more skilled at rating PJ's and also better writers than I. Tried to take a screenshot but my camera skills weren't doing the picture any justice. Going to have a drink and enjoy for a bit!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz /forum/post/21349441

Jimmy, John,

When you have a chance and have had some extended viewing, could you please comment on your experience with eye fatigue in 3D? (or lack thereof as promoted by Mitsu)

What does this mean?(eye fatigue )

By the way my 16.9 screen size is 2 metre and 40 centimeter horizontaal

And a 1.0 gain

#10 ·
Does it do frame interpolation(Frame Rate Converter) in 3D? How good is the FRC in 2D... and does the dynamic iris work in 3D?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 /forum/post/21350179

By the way my 16.9 screen size is 2 metre and 40 centimeter horizontaal And a 1.0 gain

So about 94" wide, 108" diagonal very similar to my 16:9 image although I have a large 2.35:1 screen and use sidebars for a CIH setup.

I've seen the HW30 can u elaborate on comparing it and HC7800 in 2D?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser /forum/post/21350231

Does it do frame interpolation(Frame Rate Converter) in 3D? How good is the FRC in 2D... and does the dynamic iris work in 3D?

All 3D projectors do some sort of Frame Interpolation with 24 fps content. Even in 3D they'd have to do at least 2:2 or 3:3. If you're wondering about Creative Frame Interpolation you'd have to ask one of the owners.

#14 ·
I am using an 88W X 37.5H CIH screen setup (98 inches scope). Screen is Cinema Vision 1.3. Projector is ceiling mounted 10.5 feet back and am sitting at approximately 9.5 feet away. I am not using any lens shift. For CIH viewing, the 7800 has a feature (same as the 4000) that instead of using lens memory, it digitally scales with the push of the aspect button from 2.35 to 16:9 content although you lose resolution I believe when scaling from 2.35 to 16:9).

edit: I just finished playing with the color settings a bit more and have certainly got the 'pop' or the wow factor going on now!!! This is looking more and more like a giant beautiful plasma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser /forum/post/21350231

I suppose we should refer to FI in Mits terms here as FRC moving forward? The 2D is FRC is great with a range of 1-10 really. 1-5 in Film, and 1-5 in Video. For 3D it is a bit strange - it does work but you have to 'trick' it. In the menu, if you choose their 3D preset, it shuts off the FRC. If you choose a user setting in which you already had in memory with FRC setting, it does actually carry forward to 3D. I'm really sensitive to 24 frame jitter in 3D so I'm 99% sure it worked and looks great. Also, the settings are greyed out so you have to choose the FRC level before putting it into 3D mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz /forum/post/21350399

Don't know how many 3D setups you've seen but many can just make your eyes feel a little strained/fatigued. Mitsu's glasses are advertised to be more comfortable in that regard.

Zero eye strain or flicker. The glasses do feel quite heavy holding them physically, but they fit great on my head and don't feel that heavy and are quite comfortable as they sort of grab your head from your eyes through to your ears lol. Haven't had extended time on them again though.

3D brightness. Something else I found I didn't expect was not so great 3D brightness. Overall on the test discs I played with, it is okay. Alice in Wonderland was quite dark however compared to my RS40 setup. My above mentioned screen retained polarization with the D-ILA and it really did make for a bright image. Even with these new glasses, with no polarization working for you the image is a bit dimmer. In any case, I will take an ultra smooth 3D Image with zero ghosting that is a tad dimmer over bright nasty ghosting any day!

3D depth. I am using a ps3 for 3D Bluray. Even after reading the manual, I thought that depth on the 7800 would be adjustable with 3D Bluray, it is not and depth setting is only available in their 2D/3D conversion. Bummer. I really wanted to take the non ghosting 3D DLP to the extreme, looks like it's time for a new 3D bluray player with adjustable depth/parallax. Recommendations anyone?

Now on to some concerns. This is my first DLP and it certainly is not as sharp

as I hoped. I have the same 'problem' as a guy from a German forum. They think it is either chromatic aberration or color fringing. I'm looking at you Coderguy for some guidance here! Should this be expected or absolutely not? These pictures are from the the forum, I didn't bother taking any of my own as this is exactly what I'm seeing. I also played with just about every setting possible in the menu, changed from floor to ceiling mount and inside out mirror, and covered all possible zoom ranges, focus and lens shift. If it is indeed chromatic aberration, do I have a bad lense??

It is not as noticeable from viewing position, but it definitely makes the overall image feel soft. This happens with both my sources, my htpc and ps3 as bluray player both through HDMI. I am really curious if this was what projector central's pre-production unit was suffering from?

Edit: updated information on this in post 44

#15 ·
Only the first picture with the grid pattern is useful. I'd say it's about average for a 0.7" single chip DLP. Not as sharp as the best, but not too bad. Pictures with PC text are hard to judge because of ClearType and other edge smoothing effects that's being applied to fonts. Most people don't have them turn off properly (there are multiple settings in Windows that need to be turned off along with scaling) even if they try to.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21354556

I understand the text on computer thing. I made an 800MB pic today in Photoshop and same thing. Same thing with text on bluray, and noticeable on hair (and fur) on bluray. would love to fix this part, as I am wowed with everything else.

You need test patterns specific made to test pixel level sharpness, not pictures or images of text. Then make sure you have 1:1 pixel matching (no overscan), and focus the lens. Retry different zoom and lens shift positions to find a sweet spot for the lens. I don't think there's much else you can do.

#19 ·
Wow!!!! Why are people in this forum so darn picky? I thought I wanted a projector until I came to this forum. It seems that no matter what new projector, (RS45, 3010, 5010, AE7000, HD33, etc.), is talked about people just rip the crap out of them. Why do any of you own projectors? To top it off, someone comes in a complains about the thread title.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/21354946

Wow!!!! Why are people in this forum so darn picky? I thought I wanted a projector until I came to this forum. It seems that no matter what new projector, (RS45, 3010, 5010, AE7000, HD33, etc.), is talked about people just rip the crap out of them. Why do any of you own projectors? To top it off, someone comes in a complains about the thread title.

I think it has to do with the newness of this thread. There are virtually no reviews out yet and people have a lot of questions. As far as nit picking on these forums goes, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Considering how much money some of these components cost there should be some piece of mind when purchasing these items. We know they aren't perfect but if a lot of these so called "high end" projectors have awful lenses in them why not buy a different projector from another company who includes a better one for the same price? I think that's why people nit pick. It's all about finding the best deal that fits your needs.

Also, the consumer has the right to complain. If we didn't spread the word about these issues then they would never fix them on future models. We'd be screwed over on every model. We have the power to make something sell and the same power to make it so it doesn't.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21354556

I understand the text on computer thing. I made an 800MB pic today in Photoshop and same thing. Same thing with text on bluray, and noticeable on hair (and fur) on bluray. would love to fix this part, as I am wowed with everything else.

Take a pic/look at the projector's OSD menu. That is usually the sharpest of all text, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.