Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
(Updated 1/24/2012)

It’s time for a projector upgrade. Ok, it’s past time for an upgrade. I’m looking into 3 projectors (in no specific order)

1) JVC RS45
2) Sony HW30
3) Epson 5010

I thought I’d share my observations regarding these 3 projectors. I wish this could appear in both the under $3000 forum and the $3000 and up forum. I picked the $3000 and up forum as 2 of the 3 projectors are discussed here.

Sadly, I need to purchase my projector sight unseen. That seems to be the way of the projector purchase. This involves reading a zillion posts about each projector and attempting to determine reality from distortion. The info below is my best attempt.

[WARRANTY]

Let’s start with warranty. HW30 is 3 years with 2 years on the bulb. The 5010 is 2 years with a quick replacement plan (2 day exchange, put possibly a refurb unit). 5010 has 90 day on bulb. Finally, the RS45 has 2 year warranty and 90 days on bulb.

** Edit: HW30, as part of the elevated standard (ES) line, includes a quick exchange as well as separate support number

Warranty Winner: Tie between Sony and Epson.

[BUILD]

Now let’s move onto a strange category: Projector weight. The RS45 is a beast at ~33 lbs. HW30 falls at ~22lbs. At the tail end, the Epson 5010 is 18lbs. What does this mean? It’s hard to tell. I’m associating it with build quality. You may disagree.

Weight Winner: JVC

[POWER]

Are you wondering how much power these projectors use at full? The 5010 tops out at 352W, followed by RS45 at 330W and finally the sonly at 300W. How much it costs to run these bad boys is hard to calculated because it’s not clear a typical user would run in this full power mode.

[STANDBY]

Looking at Standby power, RS45 is 0.8W, HW30 is 0.5W and the 5010 is 0.25W. Oddly the HW20 has two standby modes. I quoted the lower power mode, but the higher power mode is 8W. I’m not sure what triggers the difference.

Power Winner: everyone is a winner!

[COST]

I’m not going to quote prices here, but I will list them from least to most expensive. The 5010 is least, followed by the RS45, followed by the HW30. BTW, I’m referring to the HW30AES with the included 3D accessories.

Cost Winner: 5010 is cheapest, so it wins the cost category

[3D Ghosting]

I don’t care much about 3D, but certainly don’t mind having it as a feature. I’m a little tired of so many posts about these projectors focusing on 3D. I’d like a 3D free forum ☺ But generally speaking, the HW30 and 5010 have very good 3D with very little ghosting. There have been several complaints about the RS45. It’s not clear if it’s just initial units or what.

Note: HW30AES includes all the 3D stuff, while the others require separate purchase

3D Winner: HW30 and 5010 tie.

Standard definition inputs are going away. None of these projectors have S-Video. Only the 5010 has a Composite input.

SD Input Winner: Epson 5010

[LAMP COST]

Any projector that will be used for a while will need replacement lamps. This area is often overlooked. The HW30 has amazingly inexpensive lamp just over $200. The Epson 5010 lamp is somewhere over $300. A good deal on the RS45 lamp is exactly $400. Consider this in your total cost of ownership.

Lamp Price Winner: HW30

[INPUTS]

Focusing on other inputs (HDMI, Component, PC/D-15), all the projectors have 2 HDMI and 1 Component. The HW30 and 5010 also have a PC/D-15 (which the RS45 does not).

** Edit: there was a mistake above. The RS45 does not have a PC/D-15 connector!

HD Input Winner: HW30 and 5010!

[LAMP QUALITY]

Some projector manufactures have had quality problems in the past. A couple of years ago Epson had some bulb issues. Just last year JVC annoyed a lot of people with bulb issues. I haven’t found anything about Sony.

Manufacturer Reputation for non-defects Winner: Sony

[PIXEL ADJUSTMENT]

Everyone wants perfect convergence. People like to claim that being 1 pixel off is acceptable. On a side note, I’d really like to start a separate thread discussing how even 1 pixel convergence errors can make your 1080P projector behave like a 720p projector. At least that’s a hypothesis of mine that I haven’t proven. Regardless, all the projectors discussed in this post have software pixel adjustments (up to 1 pixel).

Convergence Adjustment Winner: Everyone!

[CAL-GRAY]

People talk about how good or bad color is straight out of the box. I always laugh a bit because we are talking samples of 1. Just because a review unit is good doesn’t mean everyone will get a good one. But what we can discuss is whether you can fix the color. Let’s divide this info color gamut and gray scale.

All the projectors support adjusting the gray scale. Thank the projector gods.

Grayscale Calibration Winner: Everyone!

[CAL-GAMUT]

But color gamut is another story. Both the HW30 and 5010 have CMS, allowing the primary and secondary colors to be adjusted fully. For the RS45 you are limited to just tint and saturation adjustments. As bulbs age, the colors can change. More useful life can likely be gained from a lamp when CMS exists. This can make you happier and save you money.

** EDIT: Some have stated that the luminance part of the HW30 CMS doesn’t work well. Because of this, I’ve made only the 5010 be the winner.

Color Gamut Adjustment Winner: 5010.

[CAL-BRIGHTNESS]

In terms of brightest good color mode, all the it seems the JVC is about 900, the HW30 is 850 and the 5010 is 700. Your mileage may vary. This assumes a 25% loss. (Thanks to coderguy’s eliteprojectorcalculator for this info).

** EDIT: changed HW30 from 800 to 850

Best Quality High Lamp Winner: RS45.

[MAX-BRIGHT]

For some situations, color accuracy isn’t the most critical. It’s worth pointing out that the 5010 is super duper bright when accuracy isn’t important. HW30 is about 1000 and RS45 is about 1100

** EDIT: Added RS45 and HW30 max bright mode

Super Duper Bright Winner: 5010

[SEALED]

Do you like dust? I don’t either. I like dust blobs even worse. Some projector technology is prone to dust blobs while others eliminate it. The RS45 and HW30 have sealed light paths, so dust isn’t a problem. The 5010, well, not so much.

No Dust Blob Winner: RS45 and HW30

[ZOOM LOSS]

A projector’s lens causes light to be lost when using telephone vs. wide. This can cause a significant change in brightness. The HW30 is F2.52 – F3.02, the RS45 is F1.4 to F2.8, and finally the 5010 is F2 to F3.17. I’ve long forgotten how to determine the number of partial stops between arbitrary apertures, but it’s clear the Sony loses the least light from end to end. I’m thinking the RS45 loses the most, but I’m not 100% sure about that

Least Light Loss from Lens Winner: HW30

[MOTORIZED]

Need to keep changing your lens position or just to lazy to set it up the first time? Only the RS45 has a power zoom send with powered h/v adjustment.

Automatic Lens Movement Winner: RS45

[PLACEMENT]

Projector placement can be a problem in some rooms. While all the projectors here allow the projector to be placed at the absolute top of the screen or the absolute bottom of the screen, the 5010 offers the most vertical flexibility. It has an amazing 96% vertical shift. The RS45 has a nice 80% vertical shift. Finally, the HW30 as an acceptable ~65% vertical shift. To me, all of these are acceptable. But there must be a winner…

Vertical Lens Shift Winner: Epson 5010

[12V TRIGGER]

Are you the type of guy that needs a 12V trigger? If so, avoid the HW30. Only the RS45 and the 5010 have a 12V trigger

12V Trigger Happy Winner: RS45 and 5010

[LAN]

Network junkies will appreciate a projector that wants an IP (Internet Protocol) address. The RS45 can be controlled over an IP network, while the other guys cannot. JVC hasn’t stated if the RS45 supports IPv6 yet. I wonder who will be the first one to ask them.

LAN Control Winner: RS45

[IR-INPUT]

IR doesn’t bounce around my theater that optimally, so I have an IR repeater system. If you prefer to have a phono-like cable plug directly into your device rather than gluing an IR emitter, the HW30 and RS45 projectors are for you. With the 5010, you need to stick with the glue (pun intended).

IR Winner: RS45 and HW30

Now it’s time to talk contrast. It wouldn’t be far to be vague, so let’s start with native contrast. The RS45 is undeniably the winner with a manufacturer specified 70,000:1. Even if only half of that is achieved in the real word, it’s pretty amazing. The HW30 and 5010 don’t state their native contrasts, as far as I could find. But it’s obvious they are nowhere near this. Perhaps around 7000:1.

[NATIVE CONTRAST]

Native Contrast Winner: RS45

Now we can talk about Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Iris, which is achieved by a real-time aperture that opens and closes based on frame analysis. I’ve heard nothing but positive comments regarding the HW30 for the dynamic iris, even comments saying it’s the best dynamic iris since sliced photons. I’m not saying the 5010 dynamic contrast is bad, but I’m giving the award to…

Note: I’m awarding this to the RS45 also. Even though it doesn’t have a dynamic iris (because it doesn’t need one), I don’t think it’s fair to the RS45 to “lose” a category because it’s technology doesn’t require it.

Best Dynamic Iris Winner: HW30 (and RS45).

[DYNAMIC CONTRAST]

What about dynamic contrast when the dynamic iris is involved? Again, I’m going to say the RS45 is a winner in this area, but let’s figure out who the other winner is. The 5010 has better blacks than the HW30, so it goes to the 5010

Best Dynamic Contrast Winner: 5010 (and RS45)

[PICTURE OVERALL]

Finally, and I seriously hesitate to write this, but let’s give an award to overall picture quality. It’s my post so I get to write what I want ☺ My gut feeling is the RS45 will have the best picture quality overall. As I stated at the beginning, I haven’t done a side by side and this is only my best guess. Feel free to ignore this category!

Best Picture Winner: RS45

** EDIT: The following category is new

[GAMING]

Manufactures do not specify that latency a projector introduces into the video path. If a video signal is provided to the projector at time T and it ends up being displayed at time T’ then the latency is T’ – T. Zombie10k provided some great info on this topic. Only the HW30 has a gaming mode, which measures between 20ms and 30ms of latency. At best the RS45 has 80 ms latency. The 5010 is around the RS45.

Gaming Winner: HW30

[UNIFORM BLACKNESS]

When a solid black image is displayed, how solid black is the image? Reviews have stated both the 5010 and the HW30 great black uniformity. Several reviews have mentioned that the RS45 has brighter corners.

Uniform Blackness Winner: Both HW30 and 5010

[SHARPNESS]

This is one of those categories that is really subjective if you don’t view all the projectors side by side. Since I cannot do that, I’m using data from the forum and will guesstimate they are all about the same. Zombie10k has stated this, from a seating distance, the RS45 and the HW30 are similar.

Sharpness Winner: Everyone!

** EDIT: Remove counts from below.

The sad result from this exercise is that one can conclude all of these projectors are very good and you just need to pick the features that are most important to you. I say this is sad because I would have preferred a result clearly indicating one projector was superior.

I hope this helps someone. If you point out something I got wrong, I might just consider editing this comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved. In case I make a decision.
post #3 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Wow very good...
That's due diligence

But I already made my decision and bought the RS45 and am very happy!

Good luck
post #4 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well done. You could attempt to weight each category then total that way.

For me personally I won't buy the JVC or Epson until it's proven their lamp problems are behind them. I have no patience to go through what others have. I believe lamp problems were going on with 8700UB so current, not problem proven fixed as far as I know for Epson.

I've seen HW30 multiple times and it is gorgeous in 2D but a bit dim in 3D but dim 3D is problem with most projectors... Very little ghosting.

I have seen an RS40 with the premature dimming problem at a Magnolia and it was disgusting, ridiculously dim in 2D and even worse in 3D with literally nonstop ghosting.
post #5 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks for all your work. The real question is which has the best picture quality?
I think I know the answer but I will let others give their opinions first. The other things are important but I believe picture quality comes first and there should be more points for it.
post #6 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not sure if you seen these reviews.
Done by someone the AVS community trusts.

5010:
http://www.displaycalibrationonline...._epson5010.asp

RS45:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1627

Quote:

Comparisons

People will no doubt be interested in a comparison between the JVC RS45, Epson 5010, and the Sony VPL-VWPRO1 whose street prices are all at or slightly below the $3,000 point. From my limited exposure to the Sony it was my least favorite of the three based solely on the quality of the optics, which did not seem to resolve inter-pixel detail as well as the other two. Choosing between the JVC and Epson is a little more difficult. Both offer excellent installation flexibility with wide zooms and lens shift. Both provide excellent RGB convergence after making minor adjustments with the provided tools. Both offer a wealth of calibration controls and possess excellent colorimetry, grayscale, and gamma with only minor adjustments.

The JVC's image was somewhat more refined with better depth and a lower black floor. On the other hand, the Epson provided a punchier image, which I attribute solely to its greater light output. Other than that, there was little to choose between them. If you need the higher light output, go with the Epson. If your priorities are with contrast and the silky smooth quality of a LCoS engine go with the JVC. I doubt that many would be disappointed with either.

post #7 of 54 Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now you make my life harder.
I am undecided on either the 5010 or the HW30, and they are tie and almost similar price over here.

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
post #8 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Very good review, but I can make this even simpler...

Sony has better 3D and better FI, if you want a do-it-all projector with 3D, cheaper lamps, and still produces respectable blacks and that smoother FILM-LIKE LCOS, get the Sony.

If you want the best 3D of these choices, the Epson 5010 is likely the winner simply because of how bright and accurate the 3D modes can be. If you want a light cannon for 3D, a bigger screen, and you still want respectable blacks (but don't mind losing a little bit of that FILM-look), then get the Epson 5010.

The JVC has the better 2D especially in SCI FI (darker blacks), and the 3D is still decent as long as people are not being obsessive over ghosting. I have talked to installers and a few others about the JVC vs. Sony vs. Epson, the JVC seems to on average be the sharpest projector of the three (Although the Epson might be sharper if you luck out on convergence). Keep in mind that convergence alignment can be helpful, but MOST of the JVC's do not need to even use the convergence alignment feature as the alignment is already so good OTB. If you want the projector with best blacks and the best performance in dark movies and a little brighter initial best mode, then get the JVC.

Sports = Epson or Sony

3D = Epson or Sony

Movies = All three, but dark movies = JVC

Gaming = Sony or JVC (Epson said to have a lot of lag?)

Sharpness = JVC or Epson

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 AM

I'm faced with a very similar decision but with two additions. I can step up to the RS-55 if its worth it. I'm seriously considering the BenQ 7000 which should be right in your selection choice too. I've got a dedicated, light controlled home theatre but like putting on the lights for casual viewing and gaming. I weight the image quality of movies at double points compared to the other categories.

These are my scores (out of 4).

Movies 2D light controlled (out of 8)
1. RS-45 - 8 points
2. HW30 - 6 points
3. 5010 - 6 points
4. W7000 - 5 points

Movies/TV/Sports non-light controlled
1. 5010 -4 points
2. W7000 - 3 points
3. HW30- 2 points
4. RS-45 - 2 points

3D Viewing
1. W7000 - 4 points
2. 5010 - 3 points
3. HW30 - 3 points
4. RS-45 - 2 points

Gaming - primarily input lag
1. W7000 - 4 points (least input lag)
2. RS-45 -3 points (surpringly low lag for a JVC)
3. HW30 - 3 points
4. Epson - 2 points (what were they thinking? traditionally a quick projector)

Miscellaneous stuff:
In addition the 5010 has an automatic lens cover and longest bulb life.
RS-45 and HW30 strike back with sealed light path
W7000 has best motion, sharpness
- call it a tie for each projector depending on your needs. I personally rate the auto lens cover and long bulb life over everything else so give the 5010 a bonus point
- I then took OFF that point because the damned 5010 only comes in white. Damn. I don't think I can handle that eye sore up against my black ceiling for the 5 years it'll take me to talk my wife into another upgrade (I've still got the antique Epson TW7000)

RS-55
- really the only thing that interests me on this projector is e-shift. I'm reading hard about what improvement it makes to the image. I don't think I can be bothered calibrating every 200 hrs so its over fancy features are wasted on me. I personally consider its superior contrast over the rs-45 to be pretty academic. I'ld rather have the extra 200 lumens or so of the cheaper projector.

So for my purposes total points

1. W7000 - 16 points
2. 5010 - 15 points
3. RS-45 -15 points
4. HW30 - 14 points

So on these criteria the Benq W7000 wins out as the best overall projector for me.

My question on the forum is.

Does the awesomeness of the RS-45/55 for light controlled 2D blu-ray viewing outweight its weaknesses in sports viewing and gaming and 3D?

Most importantly. Can I live with a white projector on a black ceiling anyway?

I'm anxiously awaiting the reviews of the BenQ w7000 and hope its 2D picture quality has taken a huge leap over the W6000. Hopefully they are using darkchip 3 now and its 2D quality is comparable to the epson. Hopefully.
post #10 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locki View Post

My question on the forum is.

Does the awesomeness of the RS-45/55 for light controlled 2D blu-ray viewing outweight its weaknesses in sports viewing and gaming and 3D?

Most importantly. Can I live with a white projector on a black ceiling anyway?

I'm anxiously awaiting the reviews of the BenQ w7000 and hope its 2D picture quality has taken a huge leap over the W6000. Hopefully they are using darkchip 3 now and its 2D quality is comparable to the epson. Hopefully.

You have to decide what you value in the image the most, in all honesty LCOS technology isn't that bad for Sports. For Hockey it might be a little rougher considering how fast they move, but I mean in general not really. Depends how sensitive you are to motion.

DLP's main advantage is a tad bit of added sharpness, less motion blur in gaming, and a more consistent image for lower-quality sources (think Netflix, the News, general TV).

However, that higher native contrast of the JVC RS-45 over other projectors is huge to me. When you watch something like Star Wars or Harry Potter, the difference is literally night and day, the movies look dull and dead until you throw it in the JVC.

That said, if you mainly watch TV and poorer sources, stick with something else.

I own both a DLP and a JVC RS-45, the DLP still wins in bright TV sometimes, but not always. If I play a really well lit scene where the camera work is good (like the "Dolphin Tale" preview), many people would think DLP would win on this, but the camera work and lighting is so good that the LCOS beats it due to the smoother and better looking skin tones, LCOS actually pop'd more. A lot of bright scenes though tend to increase the chances of that bright-washout effect with the contrast, and in that case the DLP jumps ahead a bit.

If I had to just own one projector, a DLP or an LCOS, it would be an LCOS. However, I really love having a cheap
DLP for a backup unit for gaming and TV, especially one with cheap bulbs (Viewsonic Pro8200) and 6000 hours in ECO mode rated lamp life with a best-mode lumens of 1500.

Hope that helps...

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 AM

So is the Panasonic not even in consideration? I'm trying to decide between the Epson and Panasonic, I'm thinking the gaming lag is my deciding factor.
post #12 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

So is the Panasonic not even in consideration? I'm trying to decide between the Epson and Panasonic, I'm thinking the gaming lag is my deciding factor.

Besides Lens memory, is there anything else that would make you choose the Panny over the Epson? They use the same panels and brightness is about the same.The Epson has better contrast.The Epson has the better warranty as well. Minus the lens memory..choosing should be easy.
post #13 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Liked: 13
What about audible noise levels? For people with ceiling mounts, that's a meaningful consideration.
I tended not to run my Epson in it's best tested mode (high lamp, iris on) because it made too much noise.
There's often a big difference between what looks good on paper versus your particular needs.
post #14 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Besides Lens memory, is there anything else that would make you choose the Panny over the Epson? They use the same panels and brightness is about the same.The Epson has better contrast.The Epson has the better warranty as well. Minus the lens memory..choosing should be easy.

In best image mode the Epson is a fair amount brighter than the Panny. In brightest mode the Epson is brighter than the Panny.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #15 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

What about audible noise levels? For people with ceiling mounts, that's a meaningful consideration.
I tended not to run my Epson in it's best tested mode (high lamp, iris on) because it made too much noise.
There's often a big difference between what looks good on paper versus your particular needs.

That is true, and is often times where the higher end projectors win out. The JVC's and Sony projectors are very quiet. Low lamp, they are nearly silent.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #16 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Very good point! I actually owned the Epson 5010 briefly before returning it due to the super high fan noise in high lamp mode. I tried to compensate for the noise level by raising the volume of my audio receiver and even this did not drown out the fan noise. By the way, the projector was ceiling mounted and positioned approximately 6ft overhead and behind my viewing position. When the projector is operating in normal lamp mode, the noise level was tolerable.

Also, if you want the ultra-contrast that this projector is capable of delivering, you need to engage the dynamic iris. I also found the iris to be quite noisy on certain scenes, noisy enough to be very distracting. However, the picture does look quite fantastic with the iris engaged; the black levels are almost as good as my old JVC HD350, but not on the same level as my RS-45 which I now own.
I have a friend that owns the Panasonic AE7000. The picture qualities are pretty much the same in respect to the 5010 and AE7000; however, the Epson is definitely the black winner in this regard (not by much though). However, the Panasonic has a MUCH quieter iris. If I had to choose between the Panny and the Epson, I would definitely go with the Panny.

In regards to 3D, the Epson is definitely the winner in this catergory vs the RS-45. I found that the 5010 produced a near crosstalk-free image (so does the Panasonic AE7000). Cross-talk, in regards to the RS-45 seems to be more content specific. For example, Despicable Me is full of crosstalk when viewed on the RS-45; however, other movies like Avatar, A Christmas Carol, HTTYD, and The Polar Express are almost cross-talk free. On the other hand, all of the aforementioned movies exhibit little or no cross-talk on the Epson 5010 and the Panasonic AE7000 for that matter. However, I do prefer the 3D image quality of the JVC over the 5010 and AE7000; the RS-45 just produces a more natural and film-like picture versus the other two.

In regards to 2D picture quality, the RS-45 definitely outshines both the Epson and Panasonic. As stated previously, the JVC RS-45 produces a more smooth, natural and film-like image whereas I found the Panny and Epson to be more digital and less natural appearing. Also, I could sometimes see the pixel structure in the Epson 5010 (screendoor effect) but I do not observe this problem with the Panny or the JVC projector. Visible pixelation is not prominent on the 5010 during most normal viewing so I would not consider this a negative; the Epson 5010 does produce an outstanding image that I'm sure most would be satisfied with.

I hope my observations will help some of you guys who are torn between the Epson 5010, Panasonic AE700 and RS-45. It really just "boils down" to what is most important to you. All of these projectors produce fantastic images and all have their own strengths and weaknesses. If you plan on viewing a lot of 3D content, go with the Panasonic or Epson. However, if you want the best 2D projector and the best black levels without the use of a dynamic iris which can be noisy and noticeable at times (Epson 5010), go with the JVC. Also, if a quiet viewing environment is utmost important to you, go with the JVC; the fan is whisper quiet in normal lamp mode and the fan noise in high lamp mode isn't much louder. In the end, I chose the JVC and I must say that I am happy with this choice!
post #17 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Plus the JVC has fully motorized controls and lens memory. I know this was already mentioned, and although this isn't a huge benefit, it certainly is a benefit to some.

Personally I have absolutely zero regrets going with the JVC RS-45, there really is something special to the image in 2D over the others, sorry but to me it's a big difference. The JVC looks more DLP-like (smooth but sharp) in bright scenes than LCD, even if not exactly DLP-like, but it looks significantly better in scenes that are not even completely dark, and it looks light-years ahead in really dark movies like Harry Potter.

Since quite a bit of content on the JVC exhibits no ghosting or very little, I personally think the 3D ghosting thing is not a deal breaker even if you are a 3-D fan, but I know some feel differently.

For people that think LCOS cannot POP in bright scenes (said this many times), try the preview "Dolphin Tale" on the JVC on VUDU, you'll see excellent POP even though the scene is fully bright (ANSI Contrast sensitive), so to me there goes the ANSI Contrast debate down the tubes for the most part.

When the JVC does not POP fully in a bright scene, it is more often than not just the way the lighting was done that may not favor it, because the JVC can still POP just like a DLP in certain bright scenes.

post #18 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Like I said, input lag is another big decider for me. The fact that the Panasonic thinks enough about games to include a game mode on the projector definitely pushes me toward the Panasonic.
post #19 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut4gadgets View Post

However, the picture does look quite fantastic with the iris engaged; the black levels are almost as good as my old JVC HD350, but not on the same level as my RS-45 which I now own.

Can you compare in more detail the RS-45 to your old HD350? Sharpness, 3d pop in 2d, motion in sports and movie? My 3 year old RS10 is still performing well but curious to hear impressions from the old to the new.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #20 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

If I had to just own one projector, a DLP or an LCOS, it would be an LCOS. However, I really love having a cheap
DLP for a backup unit for gaming and TV, especially one with cheap bulbs (Viewsonic Pro8200) and 6000 hours in ECO mode rated lamp life with a best-mode lumens of 1500.

Hope that helps...

Thanks to the collective wisdom of the forum I have decided to get the RS-45. What is important to me is the best possible picture quality whilst watching my reference blu-rays (LoTR,Star Wars etc). As long as the RS-45 is adequate for other purposes (sports/gaming/casual viewing) I think it will be an acceptable compromise.

Phew. 3 months of agonising is over!

A really tough decision. I can't help but feel a small twinge of selfish guilt though at the thought of my son/wife/daughter complaining about the lack of brightness/blurry 3D in the near future. After all the only person in the household watching reference quality blu-rays in total bat-cave conditions is err me. At the hours of 11pm till 2am. When everyone is asleep. Which means the subwoofer is turned off.

At least I'll have a bullet proof excuse when I get my ass handed to me in MW3/Forza4/Fight Night by a 14yo.

Now can someone convince me to step up to the RS-55. I sit 2 screen widths back and I'm not convinced e-shift is going to help my PQ.Does someone want to try to disabuse me of the notion and talk me into forking out another $2K?
post #21 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Liked: 13
If you're going to step up the price, consider the Sony VW95 too. It does a lot well, and almost nothing wrong. Minimal gaming lag. Last I checked, the price was pretty similar to the JVC 55, and at AVS, very attractive in comparison to list.
post #22 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by locki View Post

Thanks to the collective wisdom of the forum I have decided to get the RS-45. What is important to me is the best possible picture quality whilst watching my reference blu-rays (LoTR,Star Wars etc). As long as the RS-45 is adequate for other purposes (sports/gaming/casual viewing) I think it will be an acceptable compromise.

Phew. 3 months of agonising is over!

A really tough decision. I can't help but feel a small twinge of selfish guilt though at the thought of my son/wife/daughter complaining about the lack of brightness/blurry 3D in the near future. After all the only person in the household watching reference quality blu-rays in total bat-cave conditions is err me. At the hours of 11pm till 2am. When everyone is asleep. Which means the subwoofer is turned off.

At least I'll have a bullet proof excuse when I get my ass handed to me in MW3/Forza4/Fight Night by a 14yo.

Now can someone convince me to step up to the RS-55. I sit 2 screen widths back and I'm not convinced e-shift is going to help my PQ.Does someone want to try to disabuse me of the notion and talk me into forking out another $2K?

Give us a call and we can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

post #23 of 54 Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #24 of 54 Old 12-21-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony HW30
http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns

Just click on the mehr artikles (more articles) link.

Sony HW30 and Epson 5010/6010 (Eh-tw9000)
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
post #25 of 54 Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Testing the Panasonic PT-AT5000

Testing the JVC DLA-X30

Testing the Sony VPL-HW30

Testing the Sony VPL-VW90ES

Testing the JVC DLA-X7

http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns
post #26 of 54 Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The choices are getting tougher and tougher with the advancement in projector technologies. I'd take the _________ and call it a day.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #27 of 54 Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Joesyah, thanks!

I just learned that the CMS on the Sony doesn't work! Or at least has significant artifacts. Sounds like the CMS on the higher end JVCs.

That's a shot against the HW30.

Anyone familiar with the CMS on the 5010? Does it _really_work?

... Altan
post #28 of 54 Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I've calibrated Epson 8100s, 8350s, and my own 8700ub. The CMS works just fine on all those PJs, so I would assume it works well on the 5010 as well.
post #29 of 54 Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Liked: 20
The Sony CMS has extra controls that most calibrators don't have a clue as to how to use with the more traditional controls the CMS in the Sony also has. There is a reason that most reviewers say the color chromacity points were close enough on the Sony that they didn't adjust them. Translation, I could hasve made them better but I really don't understand the Sony CMS system.

All the projectors under discussion and as well as the BenQ have CMS's that one with more or less time and understanding can get the colors spot on. Of course, the RS45 of all the ones in the bunch doesn't have a CMS.

Of course, I could care less since I just use the external CMS in my Lumagen which works quickly and flawlessly and rather automatically with either my Calman or Chromapure.

Now which internal CMS works best (including accomplishes the job easily)? I would give the Epsons and BenQ the best marks here.
post #30 of 54 Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM

I too am agonizing over my projector selection....will be following this thread closely. Does the 6010 offer any advantages over the 5010, i.e fan noise seems to be an issue (I see that someone returned theirs due to the noise levels - not good IMO...)

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page