post #361 of 363 Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Hoya makes filters up to 82mm, but that still seems small for the front of the Epson 5010/6010. I've been meaning to buy a 77mm polarizing filter for my 3D camcorder anyway, and I was thinking of buying the filter set you're suggesting while I'm at it. What size do you use? I'll probably need to add an additional ND filter, too, since the torch mode on the 6010 would make the Epson far too bright for my 110" screen.

I don't think you'll need the ND filter at all. If you go with a filter to cut "green" then this alone will cause a 400 to 600 lumen loss (just a guess), so for 3D you're going to still need all those lumens that are left.

Don't worry too much about filter size. The filter does not have to be right against the lens -- the Epson's lens has an outer lip so if you have a lens cap from a previous projector or a plastic lid (say from a peanut butter jar) -- you can cut out the centre to fit your filter(s) in and slice the sides to allow the lid to expand enough to slide over the projector's lens lip. This Epson has a lens cover, but it is immediately in front of the lens so it won't interfere with your filter(s), which you can just leave in place. Your friend Ric should be able to help you calibrate the projector with filters in place. How you will do this for 3D through the glasses I don't know -- maybe rely on your eyes. For 2D you'll probably have the projector in economy mode (low lamp) so not too many lumens with filter in place -- shouldn't be a problem especially as the lamp ages.

I would start with one of the following filters -- FL-Day filter cuts green

http://www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf

Try page 26 in this link.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pd...r_handbook.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 363 Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks.

Joe Clark

post #363 of 363 Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Back in the day, a lot of us in this forum first got into front projection using business-class DLP projectors. NEC was quite popular, but they had poor reds and an excess of green, as well as black levels a lot higher than we're used to now. FL-Day filters were practically a necessity for cutting the green (thus making the red seem stronger) and lowering the black level a tad. Over time, this became less and less of an issue. I haven't thought about using one of those in years.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page