Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3811 Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
OK, possibly a mistake on the specs on their web page. In the user manual, it says DLP Link and IR:

3D Mode
􀂄 DLP Link: Select “DLP Link” to use optimized settings for DLP Link 3D
glasses.
􀂄 IR: Select “IR” to use optimized settings for IR-based 3D glasses.

At least IR does not have the red flash though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #3603 of 3811 Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Does anyone know how to get the iris to stay at a set level every time as every time I turn on the projector or switch from 2d to 3d I have to manually enter the service menu and change it to where I want it (5 as apposed to 12 for 2d and 3d). Is there something I am missing or is it something I am going to have to continue doing until my bulb losses some brightness?

post #3604 of 3811 Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Does anyone know how to get the iris to stay at a set level every time as every time I turn on the projector or switch from 2d to 3d I have to manually enter the service menu and change it to where I want it (5 as apposed to 12 for 2d and 3d). Is there something I am missing or is it something I am going to have to continue doing until my bulb losses some brightness?
are you changeing min aperture and aperture position to 5 i turned mine up to 30 didnt seem to change till i changed it may try changing max to 5 as well
post #3605 of 3811 Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys

I only have a throw distance of 3.2m and am using a 92" diagonal screen. I use calculator and it seems like I need 3.3m minimum and fully zoomed.

Can I reduced the zoom a bit at throw distance 3.2m to get a 92" image? Is near max zoom ok for brightness?

Thanks for your comments.
post #3606 of 3811 Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the Zoom is already maxed out for 3.3m. I haven't tested the throw physically to see if their is any play left, but according to Benq, the minimum throw is about 3.3m for a 92" image (and even that is cutting it so close I'd be scared).

How about looking at the Benq w1070 or another projector with a different throw?

-

post #3607 of 3811 Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdallas View Post

would anyone be willing to share their settings for a unit that is placed in a moderate light controlled room but not total dark. Mine is in a living room with decent light control but some spill and I would like to compare to see if mine is set the best for this situation.

Just play with the GAMMA setting until it looks right, then go find a pluge pattern and adjust the brightness and contrast correctly. That is about all you need to do for ambient light, though if you want to try Dynamic mode or another mode that is brighter, you can do that as well.

-

post #3608 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have thoughts on benefits cons of using brilliant color. It seems to brighten image but I also see artifacts.
post #3609 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM

The W 7000 I purchased from an ebay seller stated in the ad:

"These have the latest 1.03 Firmare installed by Benq. Buy now, these won't last!"

This is what I received:

Is "Aug 16 2012" the latest "1.03" firmware?
post #3610 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The 1:1 pixel mapping issue was fixed in April, 2012. I wouldn't go strictly by the firmware #. The best way to confirm is to put up a single pixel pattern test. (search AVS calibration disk, it's a free download)

Before the fix, here is what the pattern looks like:

w7000-HDMI.jpg

After the fix, you can the 1:1 mapping is correct

W7000fix-1.jpg

post #3611 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Aside from my FW concern, I think I'm going to like DLP. The black levels of "Cinema1" mode are fine with me. And after looking very hard for them on my 120" (Wisonart Designer White) screen, I haven't found any rainbows (at least in the 3D mode anyway.) Also, Since I'll probably be running it in the economy lamp mode, the noise that it makes is acceptable. Not nearly as quiet as my Panny 7000, but I can live with it. If switched to dynamic mode, or run in normal lamp mode, it does get a bit too noisy for my tastes.

After the break-in period, I may do more tweaking, but I doubt that I will ever have it calibrated by a pro.

As I will primarily be using this as a 3D projector, I will only comment on my first impressions of the out of the box 3D performance. in a word... SENSATIONAL!

I will first have to say that the "sensational" rating is for viewing 3D with the BenQ Gen 3 glasses. The Optima ZD201's are going back. While they do hide the red syncing signal, they do not perform well in regards to staying in sync, and eliminating crosstalk. They also make the image appear slightly darker then the BenQ's.

Tried my worst case 3D film "Dial 'M' for Murder", and it is finally watchable. The main titles still have a bit of crosstalk/ghosting, but if viewed by sitting in the 2nd row back (just about a foot in front of the projector, which would be approx. 16' back from the screen) and looking directly at the screen, the effect is minimized.

I've noticed that even with the BenQ glasses, if you move your head too far to the right or left of the screen (perhaps 15 - 20 degrees or so) there will be crosstalk introduced. But even sitting in the front row, as long as you're looking fairly straight ahead, I see practically no crosstalk.

Will have to do some more testing tonight.
post #3612 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The 1:1 pixel mapping issue was fixed in April, 2012. I wouldn't go strictly by the firmware #. The best way to confirm is to put up a single pixel pattern test. (search AVS calibration disk, it's a free download)

Before the fix, here is what the pattern looks like:

w7000-HDMI.jpg

After the fix, you can the 1:1 mapping is correct

W7000fix-1.jpg

Thanks again Jason.

Mine was mfg. October 2012. So I'm assuming I have the latest FW.

I downloaded the "HDMV (.exe)" calibration disc, but I'll be damned if I can find the "single pixel pattern test" on it. But I have many, many other calibration discs, so maybe I'll find it on one of them.
post #3613 of 3811 Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM

I found these 1 pixel patterns on my Disney Wow disc:

The photos may not be high enough resolution to show what I saw, but about 6" away the screen, I can make out each individual pixel pretty clearly. So it appears that I don't have the older FW.

Those green horizontal stripes are an artifact from the camera. They were not actually visible.
post #3614 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post

Aside from my FW concern, I think I'm going to like DLP. The black levels of "Cinema1" mode are fine with me. And after looking very hard for them on my 120" (Wisonart Designer White) screen, I haven't found any rainbows (at least in the 3D mode anyway.) Also, Since I'll probably be running it in the economy lamp mode, the noise that it makes is acceptable. Not nearly as quiet as my Panny 7000, but I can live with it. If switched to dynamic mode, or run in normal lamp mode, it does get a bit too noisy for my tastes.

After the break-in period, I may do more tweaking, but I doubt that I will ever have it calibrated by a pro.

As I will primarily be using this as a 3D projector, I will only comment on my first impressions of the out of the box 3D performance. in a word... SENSATIONAL!

I think you will also find that the Benq even beats the Panny in 2D at anything that doesn't have too many dark scenes in it. The Benq produces a very clean image when fed noise-free content, it cleaner than LCOS and LCD projectors. For one, the gamma is more balanced (hard to explain, but let's call LCOS and LCD projectors pre-posterized with mild pixelization enhancing dirtiness in some content). This is not always true, but some of the time in certain content with certain gamma settings.

DLP is also sometimes better in streaming IMO, if you get a Super HD Netflix stream or an Amazon On Demand 14Mbps+ stream, a DLP does pretty well in most cases, whereas LCD's and LCOS tend to be more finicky based on compression noise to lossy ratios.

The Benq has a nice image overall in 2D, if it had JVC blacks I wouldn't even own a JVC. I tried to find a Runco LS-5 or LS-3 for a decent price, but still no luck. I haven't been looking that hard, but as much as we've talked about in the forums now, I have little faith in finding a used one at this point.

Changing Topics - New Sony Bluray Player
I know most here are streaming snobs (I don't blame you), but I don't want to buy every movie I watch if something doesn't interest me that much.

I just picked up a new Sony BDP-s5100 for $90 just for the heck of it (BTW, I highly recommended Sony for a cheap alternative to the $500 Oppo). The Sony Bluray players I have owned blow away the LG and Samsungs. It is the best one I've ever owned, even slightly better than the BDP-s590, though it doesn't have the Reality Creation of the BDP-s790 (which I lost interest in anyhow after borrowing that one from a family member).

OK, so I would subjectively say the s5100 does appear to have the best looking Netflix stream I have ever seen per the new SuperHD format, but I didn't A/B it to the s590. I might A/B them when I get a chance, see if there is any truth to this. I would have bought the successor to the BDP-s790 (s7100?), but it doesn't appear to be released yet...

-

post #3615 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I think you will also find that the Benq even beats the Panny in 2D at anything that doesn't have too many dark scenes in it. The Benq produces a very clean image when fed noise-free content, it cleaner than LCOS and LCD projectors. For one, the gamma is more balanced (hard to explain, but let's call LCOS and LCD projectors pre-posterized with mild pixelization enhancing dirtiness in some content). This is not always true, but some of the time in certain content with certain gamma settings.

DLP is also sometimes better in streaming IMO, if you get a Super HD Netflix stream or an Amazon On Demand 14Mbps+ stream, a DLP does pretty well in most cases, whereas LCD's and LCOS tend to be more finicky based on compression noise to lossy ratios.

The Benq has a nice image overall in 2D, if it had JVC blacks I wouldn't even own a JVC. I tried to find a Runco LS-5 or LS-3 for a decent price, but still no luck. I haven't been looking that hard, but as much as we've talked about in the forums now, I have little faith in finding a used one at this point.

I can't say about the panasonic ae7000, but I personally think in 2d the Panasonic AE8000 isn't killed the Benq w7000. In 3d I like the look of the dlp and my only issue is the movement could be smother and the black levels could be darker. However many will find in 2d that the panasonic ae8000 to my eyes provides for a much more natural image. The colors are more or less equal, the sharpness goes to the benq, though there is also more nouise present in the benq which is to be expected given it is a single chip dlp. However the panasonic ae8000 has much better blacks and that is the biggest thing for me is much better shadow detail. Now for many this wont matter all that much but if you watch a number of films that are darker, or like me who's favorite films are darker (Let Me In and Blade Runner for starters) then it makes a massive difference. The panasonic I don't notice any notable black crush on, the w7000 isn't terrible by any means but their is some compared to the ae8000. What makes this even more notable is the DI usage, the panasonic to my eyes utilizes this seamlessly, the benq does not and its changes are very obvious unless you are using brilliant color.

With all that being said maybe the ae7000 is notably different to the ae8000 as I have never seen the 7000 for myself. I don't think the difference is enough to justify having the ae8000 as a 2d projector and the benq as a 3d projector, but there are key difference which could have one favor the ae8000 even in bright scenes. If you are going to go with a two projector setup (one for 2d and one for 3d) you probably want to have at least something like the x35 or the epson 8100/8200.

[edited: to reflect my changed opinion and after fixing an issue in my setup which was causing issues with several areas of the benq performance]

post #3616 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 13
Have the Sony S790 and wrote extensive review on avs. Bottom line - world class pic beating Oppo 95,93, more 3-D, more detail, also better with fewer handshake issues, faster processor for quick freeze, etc. Similar sound to more expensive 93, but can't touch audiophile level 95. Some color issues where Oppo won were solved by online firmware update. Still not always playing all Blurays, dvds, though, similar to Oppo. Only two rca outs for legacy. Also see review by Chris H of Home Theater and Joerod with 4k Sony proj. Top Panny BD player per Chris H? has similar Bluray pic with 7 rca outs. But Sony has world class upscaling of DVDs easily beating the Oppos and per Chris H the Panny. I noted rougher Caddyshack bluray seemed cleaned by Sony. Fairness to Oppo, new 103, 105 have responded with faster processor. Did test Sony S590 and did not touch S790 pic. Could be new Sonys have gotten the S790 processing. Have minimally tested S790 online as have just DSL. But Chris H and others have said very good (wireless) and had better agreements for higher quality downloads than Oppo 93,95 at that time. Lastly Sony has many sharpening controls which with firmware update now seem to have less negative impacts.
post #3617 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Fascinating coderdude, that you have hit 3000 hrs. Think on high lamp setting based on your prior comments. Used to be close to you, have just gone over 2000 hrs with mainly cinema low til last hundreds when too dim so using User 3 (low lamp?). Interesting calibration as red ten above default but high and blue, green quite reduced to get high relative red. My red and others too intense now on some content so have thought about buying calibration. Though technical, have been intimidated, but like you say as you learn more now I'm tempted. Calman cheaper but did seem like steeper learning curve than more expensive Chromapure. Have gone down to cool temp which does reduce red, but still not quite right so may splurge at some point to calibrate. Definitely not gonna buy a lamp yet!!
post #3618 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

Hi guys

I only have a throw distance of 3.2m and am using a 92" diagonal screen. I use calculator and it seems like I need 3.3m minimum and fully zoomed.

Can I reduced the zoom a bit at throw distance 3.2m to get a 92" image? Is near max zoom ok for brightness?

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

No, the Zoom is already maxed out for 3.3m. I haven't tested the throw physically to see if their is any play left, but according to Benq, the minimum throw is about 3.3m for a 92" image (and even that is cutting it so close I'd be scared).

How about looking at the Benq w1070 or another projector with a different throw?

I have similar size screen and am at 12 feet. However, if max about 110 inch diagonal. So if calculating correctly, you at about 10.5 feet, which per mine should be about 96 inch diagonal. Should be ok, but coderguy correct as Benq W1070 has two versions - one is an st - short throw. W7000 will have better pic quality as this used to be a $2k+ proj. Reviewers do say 1070 without peer at $1k , though.
post #3619 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I can't say about the panasonic ae7000, but I personally think in 2d the Panasonic AE8000 kills the Benq w7000. In 3d I like the look of the dlp and my only issue is the movement could be smother and the black levels could be darker. However in 2d the panasonic ae8000 to my eyes provides for a much more natural image. The colors are more or less equal, the sharpness goes to the benq, though I think the benq looks a bit rough (i'm not sure if that is how to say it). However the panasonic ae8000 has much better motion (this surprised me as I thought this was an area a dlp should easily win in), better blacks and the biggest thing for me is much better shadow detail. Now for many this want matter all that much but if you watch a number of films that are darker, or like me who's favorite films are darker (Let Me In and Blade Runner for starters) then it makes a massive difference. The panasonic I don't notice any notable black crush on, the w7000 isn't terrible by any means but it is a far cry from the ae8000. What makes this even more notable is the DI usage, the panasonic to my eyes utilizes this seamlessly, the benq does not and its changes are very obvious.

With all that being said maybe the ae7000 is notably different to the ae8000 as I have never seen the 7000 for myself. I don't think the difference is enough to justify having the ae8000 as a 2d projector and the benq as a 3d projector, but it is still extremely notable to my eyes. If you are going to go with a two projector setup (one for 2d and one for 3d) you probably want to have at least something like the x35 or the epson 8100/8200 (I am currently trying to decide between the x35 and 8200). I really like my Benq but if I was going to only have a one projector setup I would never consider it as whilst I love 3d far to much of what I view is in 2d so that would take priority for me.

Interesting comments - the Panny's pics on projectorreviews.com I haven't liked as seem too smooth and less sharp, but makes sense then more natural. Dlps tend to have more digital noise per reviewers so may be why Benq sharper but rougher at same time. Can as coderguy said go into service menu to lower min setting on DI for some darker, but dark is weakness on Benq. Also have gotten darker as Sony S790 goes darker and found shielded hdmi cables do help as well. Can play with shadow detail by adjusting the gamma. But yes, all of us would love darker for those scifi movies especially. Do think looking at pics from newer Epson especially that companies are improving their sharpness relative to my Benq.
post #3620 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:

The W 7000 I purchased from an ebay seller stated in the ad:

"These have the latest 1.03 Firmare installed by Benq. Buy now, these won't last!"

This is what I received:

Is "Aug 16 2012" the latest "1.03" firmware?

Although Zombie answered this, just noting that Benq in their odd numbering did decide to not keep the 1.03 designation but went with 1.00 for all the newer ones. It was a huge credit to Zombie and others for detecting the original error which with Benq sharpness even reviewers missed. This was an error appearing common to dlps from other manufacturers as well, but seemed to be first solved by Benq. Sent mine in and all was well, as Zombie noted much sharper then.
post #3621 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdallas View Post

Anyone have thoughts on benefits cons of using brilliant color. It seems to brighten image but I also see artifacts.
As I have had DI problems, more software as just reset in service menu, surprisingly has seemed more stable ever since I turned BC on. But agree bit much especially now due to older lamp went to User3 setting for brighter. Reason responding does have odd impact in 3d as reverse of what expect. BC on is darker pic, BC off brighter pic.
post #3622 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I will first have to say that the "sensational" rating is for viewing 3D with the BenQ Gen 3 glasses. The Optima ZD201's are going back. While they do hide the red syncing signal, they do not perform well in regards to staying in sync, and eliminating crosstalk. They also make the image appear slightly darker then the BenQ's.

Tried my worst case 3D film "Dial 'M' for Murder", and it is finally watchable. The main titles still have a bit of crosstalk/ghosting, but if viewed by sitting in the 2nd row back (just about a foot in front of the projector, which would be approx. 16' back from the screen) and looking directly at the screen, the effect is minimized.

I've noticed that even with the BenQ glasses, if you move your head too far to the right or left of the screen (perhaps 15 - 20 degrees or so) there will be crosstalk introduced. But even sitting in the front row, as long as you're looking fairly straight ahead, I see practically no crosstalk.

Final comment today. Have zd201's older version and True Depths. zd's less comfy and smaller but clearer than true depths. Haven't noticed crosstalk, but agree with synch issues. Certainly defer to a true 3d aficionado so very interesting that you found the 3rd gen Benq better than newer zd's. Clearly Benq responding to the competition and improving glasses. Don't watch 3d much as I seem to get very tired and feel off the next day. Will be very curious as you keep testing.
post #3623 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM

After spending about 10 hours (2 sessions of 5 hrs ea., w/ a 2 hr. break, and one glitch) yesterday with my new BenQ W7000, I have only discovered a few negative things about it (but so far, none are deal breakers as having near ghost free 3D is my main concern.)

1.) I read further back in this thread that someone had experienced tearing on a SBS 3D image. I was testing an O/U MKV file that has very fast action, and quick cutting, and noticed some tearing on the bottom 3rd of the picture. This did not appear throughout the entire movie, but it was noticeable during several scenes. I haven't noticed any tearing on frame packed, BD disc material so far.

2.) One freeze up episode. I was trying to change 3D modes using the "3D" button on the remote (while the 3D movie was playing.) It was the O/U MKV file that I mentioned previously. This seemed to be taking too long, so I decided to hit stop on my Oppo 93, and try another file. When I did, the screen went black (or, to be technically accurate, dark gray.) And this static image appeared on the far, right hand side of the screen:

At first I thought that the Oppo had locked up, as it had happened before. But when I tried to enter the menu on the W7000, there was no response. No mater what buttons I pressed on the W7000 remote, nothing appeared on the screen. I even disconnected the HDMI cable from the Oppo, but the image remained as you see. Finally, I decided to power off the projector. I waited about 10 minutes, then powered it back on. Everything proceeded as normal from there.

3.) When a blu-ray disc starts to play in my Oppo 93 (after the normal slow loading time for certain discs that have these issues) there is quite a long delay before the picture is visible on the screen (and I have "auto input search" switched 'off'). The sound will play in the background (for instance, the WB logo screen), while the screen will have a message that it is searching for the signal (this is via the latest mfg. HDMI 1.3 cable). At first i thought that it may be because the Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs. For 3D, one goes to my receiver (which in my case doesn't pass 3D) for the audio, and the other (for the video) goes to directly to HDMI 1 on the projector. But, then again, my Panny 7000 doesn't experience this when hooked up exactly the same way. Perhaps the Panny has a better HDMI handshake than the BenQ?

These things aside, so far I have been very pleased with the BenQ W7000's overall performance (especially the 3D), and if no further problems arise, I think this one is a keeper. smile.gif
post #3624 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Would you mind posting a link to these exact Gen 3 BenQ glasses? I need to get another pair of 3d glasses and I am curious to try these out after using the ZD201's for so long. The sync issue with the ZD201's is annoying, but I have enjoyed the smaller lenses which block out any rear type reflections in my room well which none of the other glasses I have tried are as good at. Still curious to try the 3rd gen BenQs though. Thanks.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3625 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are the 3rd gen BQ glasses, they hold a sync well, I think it has a buffer built in.

They are a little tight and may require some modification. I heated the arms with a hair dryer to extend them out a bit, just too tight for my preferences. The 2nd gen were very comfortable.

DLP-glasses.jpg

post #3626 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisccheese View Post

Final comment today. Have zd201's older version and True Depths. zd's less comfy and smaller but clearer than true depths. Haven't noticed crosstalk, but agree with synch issues. Certainly defer to a true 3d aficionado so very interesting that you found the 3rd gen Benq better than newer zd's. Clearly Benq responding to the competition and improving glasses. Don't watch 3d much as I seem to get very tired and feel off the next day. Will be very curious as you keep testing.

So far as 3D glasses are concerned, I have only tried the new Optima ZD201's, and the gen 3 BenQ's. I had thought about getting a 4 pack of the True Depth's as the price is right, but I may just stay with the BenQ's for now.

The reason I returned the ZD201 Optimas was threefold:

1.) SYNC. I noticed that when a bright (mostly white) scene would appear on screen (I believe it was during the first 10 minutes or so of Despicable Me) the glasses would loose sync. Also, the main menu for "Dial 'M' for Murder" (which is in 3D) appeared only in 2D with the Optimas! Only after starting the movie would the Optimas return to the 3D mode.

2.) CROSSTALK/GHOSTING. In "House of Wax", After the intermission, there is a scene where Vincent Price is giving a tour of the museum in his wheel chair. He's wearing a dark suit with a white shirt. With the Optimas I could see crosstalk (the white of the shirt ghosting to the right, over the black of the suit.) The BenQ's handle this scene perfectly.

3.) BRIGHTNESS. (Or rather lack of.) The gen 3 BenQ's simply allow more light to pass through than the Optimas. It's not night and day, but it is noticeable to me. Colors look better with the BenQ's as well.

If I had only ordered a pair of the Optimas when I purchased the W7000, I would have believed the projector to be defective, not the glasses. The BenQ glasses saved the day!
post #3627 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although Zombie answered this, just noting that Benq in their odd numbering did decide to not keep the 1.03 designation but went with 1.00 for all the newer ones. It was a huge credit to Zombie and others for detecting the original error which with Benq sharpness even reviewers missed. This was an error appearing common to dlps from other manufacturers as well, but seemed to be first solved by Benq. Sent mine in and all was well, as Zombie noted much sharper then.

I would still check the 1:1 mapping if I just received a W7000, it's too easy to miss but it definitely looks better when it's correct.

We should have a W7500 to review when it's released, I'm curious to see what changes they made.

post #3628 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Thanks Zombie!

Looking forward to more 7500 info.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3629 of 3811 Old 10-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting comments - the Panny's pics on projectorreviews.com I haven't liked as seem too smooth and less sharp, but makes sense then more natural. Dlps tend to have more digital noise per reviewers so may be why Benq sharper but rougher at same time. Can as coderguy said go into service menu to lower min setting on DI for some darker, but dark is weakness on Benq. Also have gotten darker as Sony S790 goes darker and found shielded hdmi cables do help as well. Can play with shadow detail by adjusting the gamma. But yes, all of us would love darker for those scifi movies especially. Do think looking at pics from newer Epson especially that companies are improving their sharpness relative to my Benq.

The blacks could be better but that is not the major issue in my eyes, the big issue is the black crush that whilst I fell has been exaggerated by some is still more then notable and hurts the image quality. Changing the DI doesn't help in this matter. I don't think pics are a good idea to go by, I will likely be able to see the new epson 5300 (or 8200 where I live ) soon and can let you know then. But given the 5200 was a noticeable improvement on the ae8000 I imagine it will be a huge improvement on the Benq in this area.

No 3 lcd should be able to match the sharpness possible from a DLP, they are already very close to the degree that I actually prefer how the lcd look in term so sharpness in films is something you have to see to now what you prefer. In games, web browsing or menus etc, the dlp is the easy victor. But as I use my monitor for gaming (27" 1440p IPS) and web browsing I for the overwhelming majority of the time use my projector for films, and lcd whilst not as sharp tends to provide a more pleasant image for myself.

If your a 3d aficionado the w7000 is an amazing projector, if you are only casually so and only want to go with one projector there are better options out there (though once again if you game a lot dlp becomes more attractive yet again).

post #3630 of 3811 Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

Does anyone have trouble playing my bloody valentine 3d on the w7000.. I am using a Panasonic bdp 220u and it seems like it just crashes the w7000 and I have to power on and off to get it to respond again.. Does not happen with any other disc..

I realize that this is an older post, but I had a similar problem with DREDD 3D last night, so I did some research and found this. Not only would it not play a correct 3D image, but it also crashed my W7000. When the projector "crashes", it has a frozen black screen with a jagged, vertical white line that runs almost from top to bottom somewhere on the screen. I have already posted a picture of this the other day. I tried to play it again. This time it didn't crash the projector, but it still wouldn't play in true depth 3D. The red signal was visible, but the image was rather flat, almost 2D looking. So I ejected the disc from my Oppo 93, and put in another 3D BD (Despicable Me) that I knew had a lot of depth and pop. Same thing, a flat, slightly shimmering 2D like picture. Did another shutdown and startup, put "Despicable Me" back in, and it played fine.

So not only was I unable to get DREDD 3D to play properly, but (if it didn't crash the projector) it made any other 3D BD played subsequently, appear to have the same problem.

Has anyone else had this happen? It is a really strange thing. The only way I know of to clear the glitch is to turn off the projector, wait a while for the fan to stop, and let the thing cool down, then start it up again. So far, this has only happened on DREDD 3D. I'll have to try "My Bloody Valentine" tonight and see if that also does the same thing.

The last 3D of the night was "Grand Canyon Adventure". Played fine. Looked spectacular.

Don't know what to make of this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page