Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 3811 Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I am looking for a 3D projector and have been researching the W7000 (it can be purchased new for a very tempting price). In its review of the W7000 S&V had great things to say about the Benq's 3D, but they found the contrast wanting. Here's the quote:

"The W7000 achieved its highest contrast ratios with DynamicBlack on, resulting in a contrast ratio of 1,800:1. This is quite low for a DLP projector. With the DynamicBlack control off, the projector’s native resolution was about 650:1, which is the lowest native contrast I’ve measured for a DLP."

This pretty well seems to be what people are saying here. I have no idea how Art at Projector Reviews rated this projector as an ultra-high contrast one.

He said this: "Update 2/19/2012: No question about it, the “finished” W7000′s blacks are visibly better!"
and

"The new firmware does improve black performance. It’s not a truly gigantic improvement (nor was one expected), but it is significant enough to move the W7000 from a projector with ” OK blacks for the price”, to one with “Especially good blacks for the price”. All considered, the finished W7000 now offers blacks that are roughly comparable to the Panasonic PT-AE7000, perhaps a tad shy of the Optoma HD8300, and a little further behind the Epson 5010. Still, these are very good blacks now. Making other issues more important to your final decision. "

Home Theatre had this to say, which again is supported in this thread:

"As I said in the Performance section, the W7000's main performance issue is its inability to produce a truly deep black, especially on a smaller screen. Its auto iris does help in the areas of contrast and black level, but the iris is a tad slow and noisy. I occasionally saw the brightness shift as the iris performed its job, and the function also produced a soft, high-pitched squeal (almost like a soft cricket chirp). It wasn't loud enough to be a huge concern under normal volume situations, but I did notice it during a few low-volume scenes."

On the positive side Sound and Image had this to say about the 3D:

"As to 3D, well, wow! This is the fourth 3D DLP projector I’ve reviewed (see also the Mitsubishi and Sharp in this group), and the third brand. And as with the others, it is far, far better on 3D than competing technologies.
The key is crosstalk. There was, effectively, none. The left eye saw only what it was supposed to see. Likewise for the right eye. All 3D ghosts were banished. I froze the picture on a couple of my favourite scenes and searched them carefully, and there wasn’t the slightest hint of image breakthrough from one eye to the other. To check I put on the Werner Bloos ghosting test picture, and again, a perfect score was the result. No crosstalk, and so, consequently, excellent 3D, with beautiful rendering of depth where provided by the source material."

The low contrast and being forced to use DLP-link glasses for 3D has me losing interest in this projector.

The pictures (I know that photos don't tell the complete story) posted on page 123 of this thread are not encouraging regarding the Benq's black levels. They might not be 100% accurate, but they do give an indication of substantial differences between the Epson and the Benq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3811 Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Contrast/black level and dlp link are the big negatives to the 7000. Throw in the noisy DI which can be seen pumping away for those sensitive to DIs ( I disabled mine immediately) and black level is not this projectors strength. The difference between black levels (once getting brightness close) between the 7000 and my RS45 is dramatic.

Just splurge for the Sharp DejaVu as that seems to be the only projector that will do everything you want. cool.gif

For me, the damn near perfect 3d projector would be one that combines the best of the 7000 and 30000 which does not exist. As soon as this machine hits, and assuming the price is fair I might upgrade.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3723 of 3811 Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new projector, but here in Australia the w7000+ is proving extremely hard to get hold off as was told it s about o be discontinued and no word yet on the 7500.
If I can get the w7000 for $2000 or close to that I will definitely get it but just in case I can t , I am wondering how much of a "downgrade" is the w1070 which is still readily available and only cost $1000.
I know this is a w7000 thread, but I am hoping that many of you have done a direct comparison between the two and give me a bit of feedback on why you chose the w7000 over the 1070.
I will be sitting right underneath the projector so a bit worried about the fan and iris noise. Also, the lack of CFI may be a worry as do watch a bit of sport on the big screen or would the average guy like me not notice it too much.
Screen is 120inch 16:9 ratio, sit about 4.5m away. I currently have a sanyo z3000 but it s ageing and the cost of replacing the light is $600 which I found a bit rude to be honest.
The reason I was considering the w7000 was for it s brightness as I now even though I have a ht room it s not a man cave all dark, but we use it for my wife's client( brides come to our place to get ready as my wife is a make up artist) and they use this room to get ready, and start the celebrations, so I have lots of windows and bright colors. The kids use it when not in official use, and needless to say that the sanyo z3000 barely copes during day time tv.
All advice will be sincerely appreciated.
Reagrds
Jean
post #3724 of 3811 Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new projector, but here in Australia the w7000+ is proving extremely hard to get hold off as was told it s about o be discontinued and no word yet on the 7500.
If I can get the w7000 for $2000 or close to that I will definitely get it but just in case I can t , I am wondering how much of a "downgrade" is the w1070 which is still readily available and only cost $1000.
I know this is a w7000 thread, but I am hoping that many of you have done a direct comparison between the two and give me a bit of feedback on why you chose the w7000 over the 1070.
I will be sitting right underneath the projector so a bit worried about the fan and iris noise. Also, the lack of CFI may be a worry as do watch a bit of sport on the big screen or would the average guy like me not notice it too much.
Screen is 120inch 16:9 ratio, sit about 4.5m away. I currently have a sanyo z3000 but it s ageing and the cost of replacing the light is $600 which I found a bit rude to be honest.
The reason I was considering the w7000 was for it s brightness as I now even though I have a ht room it s not a man cave all dark, but we use it for my wife's client( brides come to our place to get ready as my wife is a make up artist) and they use this room to get ready, and start the celebrations, so I have lots of windows and bright colors. The kids use it when not in official use, and needless to say that the sanyo z3000 barely copes during day time tv.
All advice will be sincerely appreciated.
Reagrds
Jean

The w7000 has FI in 2d and 3d though it really isn't needed for sports as DLP has excellent motion handling. If your willing to sacrifice black levels for brightness (which I would argue brightness is more important in 3d then black levels) then this projector is hard to beat. Be aware that the DI is essentially useless and you will probably have it turned off all the time so I wouldn't expect that to help many with the black levels (then again I can count on one hand the number of DI's I wouldn't turn off). With that being said the black levels and contrast are better then what we see in cinemas, it is just at home better is available in this area (though at this price point not so much).

http://www.thecableconnection.com.au/SALE-Benq-W7000---3D-Full-HD-Home-Theatre-Projector---100-Australian-Stock.html

If you don't want ex demo: http://www.justprojectors.com.au/w7000.htm

I have dealt with both of these companies multiple times, the only issue is postage can be slower then I would like (though that could be more the postal companies fault). The exdemo unit doesn't come with glasses, but if you're happy to import the glasses you can get several models discussed in this thread rather cheaply. The new one comes with two pares of glasses, also don't worry about the sale ending soon on justprojectors, they seem to run the sales until all the units are gone and just continue extending the date.

Be aware that calibrating this projector to me is a must as the default settings are at best okay.
post #3725 of 3811 Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 AM

Hi film reverie ,

Thanks for your input mate.
I was indeed told about the cable connection and that they were the only left stockist for the w7000. However, I am not prepard to get an ex demo nor am I ready to accept a general item being sold and shipped from 2000km away. I personally find it quite ridiculous that a projector such as the w7000 or a band like benq do not supply a local retailer.
I was told over the phone by benq that I could get it from office works or harvey norman, but it appears untrue as when push came to shove, they could only get the 1070 not the w7000 even though it shows on their system.
Too bad I guess may have to settle for the 1070 or a different one all together. May be the Panasonic pt8000 pr sharp z3000. I really want to try a dlp projector at reasonable price. Not sure the price of the z3000.
Thanks anyway mate.
Appreciate the input
Regards
post #3726 of 3811 Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi film reverie ,

Thanks for your input mate.
I was indeed told about the cable connection and that they were the only left stockist for the w7000. However, I am not prepard to get an ex demo nor am I ready to accept a general item being sold and shipped from 2000km away. I personally find it quite ridiculous that a projector such as the w7000 or a band like benq do not supply a local retailer.
I was told over the phone by benq that I could get it from office works or harvey norman, but it appears untrue as when push came to shove, they could only get the 1070 not the w7000 even though it shows on their system.
Too bad I guess may have to settle for the 1070 or a different one all together. May be the Panasonic pt8000 pr sharp z3000. I really want to try a dlp projector at reasonable price. Not sure the price of the z3000.
Thanks anyway mate.
Appreciate the input
Regards

It is inevitable in a country with such a low population spread over such a large area. Harvey Norman and Office Works won't be able to get any new stock of the w7000 as it is out of production (whereas the 1070 is still in production if I am not mistaken), I would be surprised if they where unable to get the w7500 when it is released though. With that being said you will pay considerably more to buy it through them from what I have seen in the past.

What is the aim for your projector setup? What do you intend to use it for and what kind of room will it be in? At 120" you will probably need to go with a high gain screen or a bright projector (or if 3d/ambient light is a consideration then both).

Personally if you want a dlp and you want a bright image and amazing 3d and you want to buy from one of the above stores I would wait it out for the w7500. Waiting does suck but it if enables you to get what you want then it is worth it.
post #3727 of 3811 Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I just hit about 4,000-4,500 hours on the lamp, still going and going and going... I left it on most of the time, as I am using it as a monitor and a TV.

Lamp marketing is baloney, it doesn't matter if a projector's lamp is rated at 2000 hours or 6000 hours, it doesn't appear to be any indicator of longevity.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3728 of 3811 Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I just hit about 4,000-4,500 hours on the lamp, still going and going and going... I left it on most of the time, as I am using it as a monitor and a TV.

Lamp marketing is baloney, it doesn't matter if a projector's lamp is rated at 2000 hours or 6000 hours, it doesn't appear to be any indicator of longevity.

I am curious if you broke the lamp in when it was new by running it for 50 or so straight hours?
post #3729 of 3811 Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
CRUD!

My W7000, an original 1.0 unit that was sent back to be upgraded to 1.03, appears to be succumbing to iris failure!!

I know this is a common problem, though mine isn't totally dead yet. It seems to be randomly opening and shutting, often closing down or opening up inappropriately within the same scene.

1) Is there any provision for BenQ fixing this free as it is a known problem, like the 360 red ring?

2) How much does it cost to fix if not?
post #3730 of 3811 Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ruined, as coderguy has stated before just get in the service menu and do an iris reset. Personally, I don't believe a "fix" exists. People have had this problem since the introduction of the w7000 through the w7000+, old and new firmware.

I've had issues with the w7000(returned) and the + model. Mine has done everything from closing the iris completely to flittering back and forth. Each time, an iris reset in the service menu fixed the problem for an extended period of time.

The method for entering the service menu has been posted several times and coderguy has given instruction on where to go in the menu. I know we shouldn't have to do this, but sending it back to benq means being w/o a projector for a time and a permanent fix is doubtful, IMO. I believe you'll just end up with the same problem down the line.

If you have problems finding the posts let me know and will be glad to post the procedure.
post #3731 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM

I just received a replacement from BenQ w7000. It has version 1.00. I thought firmware 1.03 was current. This rep emailed me to say they sent me a w7000+ and that the 1.00 is the most up to date. How can I confirm I got a 7000+ and that 1.00 is current?
post #3732 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie75 View Post

I just received a replacement from BenQ w7000. It has version 1.00. I thought firmware 1.03 was current. This rep emailed me to say they sent me a w7000+ and that the 1.00 is the most up to date. How can I confirm I got a 7000+ and that 1.00 is current?

I think they changed the firmware name over time, the real concern was fixing the 1:1 pixel mapping error which was done in April 2012.

the best way to check is with a single pixel pattern test, there is one located on this free calibration disk:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

each individual pixel should be well defined with no over-lapping. You can also use a PC hooked up at 1920x1080P and use the 'MSPaint' program to draw 2 intersecting black lines. This would reveal the error as well if you had the old firmware.
post #3733 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I think they changed the firmware name over time, the real concern was fixing the 1:1 pixel mapping error which was done in April 2012.

the best way to check is with a single pixel pattern test, there is one located on this free calibration disk:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

each individual pixel should be well defined with no over-lapping. You can also use a PC hooked up at 1920x1080P and use the 'MSPaint' program to draw 2 intersecting black lines. This would reveal the error as well if you had the old firmware.

Is this the only way to tell? Will this test tell me if I have a w7000 with 1.03 as opposed to a w7000+ with 1.00? Or just that I have current firmware. I'll try the ms paint test but I'd like to know if I have a w7000+. Are they better?
post #3734 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this the only way to tell? Will this test tell me if I have a w7000 with 1.03 as opposed to a w7000+ with 1.00? Or just that I have current firmware. I'll try the ms paint test but I'd like to know if I have a w7000+. Are they better?

i don't think there is any real difference, there was a discussion on this a while back. It just lead to confusion since there were no spec changes.

As long as the projector is showing 1:1, you are good to go.
post #3735 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks Zombie. I'll check for that. I did come across this PCworld article on the 7000+
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/benq/w7000/452829/
post #3736 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:

i don't think there is any real difference, there was a discussion on this a while back. It just lead to confusion since there were no spec changes.

As long as the projector is showing 1:1, you are good to go.

Not sure what to look for. Pixels are a little blurry IMO
post #3737 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you running a 1920x1080 desktop?

Here's what it looked like before the fix:

w7000-HDMI.jpg

pixel_mapping13.jpg

after the fix:

W7000fix-1.jpg

pixel_mapping11.jpg
post #3738 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Yes, 1080p desktop.
post #3739 of 3811 Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

use those photos as a reference, it should be easy to see the difference.
post #3740 of 3811 Old 12-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

use those photos as a reference, it should be easy to see the difference.

I'm not sure what to look for. It looks sharp from seating distance but appears to have a pink and green haze around the lines when I great real close like 2-3 feet away.
post #3741 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm not sure what to look for. It looks sharp from seating distance but appears to have a pink and green haze around the lines when I great real close like 2-3 feet away.

Does it go away with adjusting the focus?
post #3742 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM

It's not a focus problem. But I don't think this w7000 (which BenQ claim is actually a w7000+ because it's been updated with 1.00 firmware) has any 1:1 mapping problems. I still had my 1.03 projector in the box to ship back and decided to compare. The lines I drew in paint looked identical. I guess when you have a thin black line that is 1 pixel wide your not going to get perfect white pixels on either side of it. Or perhaps MS paint is not a perfect reference.
post #3743 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not a focus problem. But I don't think this w7000 (which BenQ claim is actually a w7000+ because it's been updated with 1.00 firmware) has any 1:1 mapping problems. I still had my 1.03 projector in the box to ship back and decided to compare. The lines I drew in paint looked identical. I guess when you have a thin black line that is 1 pixel wide your not going to get perfect white pixels on either side of it. Or perhaps MS paint is not a perfect reference.

Sounds like you are seeing the RBE. I can't myself see it so maybe someone else could comment if that sounds right.
post #3744 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Sounds like you are seeing the RBE. I can't myself see it so maybe someone else could comment if that sounds right.

I think it's simply chromatic aberration. I have looked at roughly a dozen W6000/W7000 projectors and to a large degree (virtually) all of them have a bad case. Especially as you go out to the corners of the image. Using next to zero lens shift hasn't helped (tried on several for testing) and on a few units it was worse than the pixel misalignment on a good 3-chipper. I did run across a great sample and posted images in the W6000 or W7000 thread... can't remember which one.

post #3745 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM

This is definitely not RBE. I know RBE when I see it. The best way to test this is draw a line in a drawing program like MS paint and see what the pixels look like. Will a line one pixel wide appear perfectly so?
post #3746 of 3811 Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is definitely not RBE. I know RBE when I see it. The best way to test this is draw a line in a drawing program like MS paint and see what the pixels look like. Will a line one pixel wide appear perfectly so?

It should do with 1:1 pixel mapping. I am quite useless when it comes to the RBE as I cannot see it (hence my guess). Though if it isn't RBE and the line in paint shows up as it should I would agree with the above, chromatic abberation.
post #3747 of 3811 Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Here is a stupid question. Does anyone here know how to get in touch with warranty at Benq Canada? I have filled out two repair inquiries via the benq.ca website, however they haven't replied yet. I have waited since the beginning of July when I got this replacement w7000 from the store. The only number I have found is the customer service line.
post #3748 of 3811 Old 12-21-2013, 05:26 AM

Liked: 11
Did you check your junk email box?
post #3749 of 3811 Old 12-23-2013, 06:51 PM

I just received a replacement w7000 from Benq. All looked well but it loses focus after a few hours. I have to adjust it regularly. Any solutions? What would cause this? Should I send it back?
post #3750 of 3811 Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just received a replacement w7000 from Benq. All looked well but it loses focus after a few hours. I have to adjust it regularly. Any solutions? What would cause this? Should I send it back?

No idea what would cause this. I would contact Benq and imagine it will have to be sent back.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page