Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3794 Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my wife gave me a w7000 for christmas smile.gif its a refurb but the lamp is listed at 0 hours so thats a bonus. i plugged it in tonight just to see what it looked like and im a happy guy smile.gif im going to finish my screen this weekend and then have some fun. The iris is sooo quiet im two feet away from it and can barely hear it (unless its not working at all tongue.gif) it is listed as dynamic black on so it should be. What would be another way to check if its working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3794 Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarr View Post

Well my wife gave me a w7000 for christmas smile.gif its a refurb but the lamp is listed at 0 hours so thats a bonus. i plugged it in tonight just to see what it looked like and im a happy guy smile.gif im going to finish my screen this weekend and then have some fun. The iris is sooo quiet im two feet away from it and can barely hear it (unless its not working at all tongue.gif) it is listed as dynamic black on so it should be. What would be another way to check if its working?

Credits of any film where a name shows up one at a time. You may want to learn how to get into the service menu as this projector can be improved from its factory default settings. Especially the DI.
post #3753 of 3794 Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is the W7000 on DC2 chip with 4x color wheel?

I currently have the W1070, would it be sort of a downgrade going to the W7000?
post #3754 of 3794 Old 12-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

It isn't a downgrade, but if you are upgrading I would be looking for something more at this stage.
post #3755 of 3794 Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Credits of any film where a name shows up one at a time. You may want to learn how to get into the service menu as this projector can be improved from its factory default settings. Especially the DI.

I know i read the post before im sure it was by coderguy but i cant find it, ive been searching for 2 days any one know what page the info and directions for the service menu is on? Search function on a phone is very limited
post #3756 of 3794 Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
^^^ Me too, I'd appreciate that, and what the setting that's best is supposed to be? What is the effect of the change?
post #3757 of 3794 Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Service Menu Access

First open up the regular Benq Menu using the remote
Go to the last menu item on the right (Information Menu)

After having selected the info menu, press up-down-up-down-up-down - enter

That's 3 sets of up/down's and one enter.

Then you're in the service menu. Navigate like regular menu but be careful not to change the values that you don't know what you are changing.

Adjusting the DI is a bit weird, you have to experiment with the IRIS settings which are on Tab # 8 in the service menu. This explanation is going to sound confusing, that is why its best you experiment with the settings yourself to figure it out (and then what I'm saying will start to make sense). There is really not any specific "correct" setting, as it all depends on your setup and your preferences on how aggressive you want to make the IRIS.

Dynamic Black is the MODE that causes the IRIS to be enabled as a Dynamic IRIS, but you should leave this off in the service menu before exiting (it's fine to turn it on and off while calibrating the IRIS). To rotate between Fixed and DI mode during normal viewing, it is not necessary to go back into the Service Menu, you just change Dynamic Black in the REGULAR menu to On or Off. When DB is OFF in the Service Menu, the Regular Menu can still override it and turn it back on which is why you leave DB off in the service menu. I think a lot of peoples' issues with their IRIS settings are because they are leaving the Dynamic Black = on in the SM, don't do that as it is not necessary and it actually defeats the ability to rotate between fixed and DI mode properly.

When Dynamic Black / Dynamic IRIS mode is enabled (again from the regular menu only is needed, OFF in the SM), the difference between the Aperture Max and Min setting is how far the IRIS closes down (sort of). Otherwise, when Dynamic Black is turned off, you can set the Aperture function like a fixed IRIS instead of a DI, and use it to control how bright the image is (by changing position, max, and min down low to like 5-8 but that is only how to do it for the fixed IRIS mode). However, you cannot control how bright the image is when using the IRIS in DI mode (you may have tiny control), as it does this automatically in DI mode. Only people that have small screens will probably want to use the DI as a fixed IRIS to lower the brightness down.

For adjusting the Dynamic IRIS in order to achieve the correct amount of aggressiveness for your setup, the thing is the 2 settings (Max and Min) don't really work separately they work together. If you raise the Max aperture setting up too high it will cancel out the Min Aperture if I recall correctly. It doesn't always seem to hold the settings, sometimes it resets on its own as it has bugs, but you'll get it after 5-10 minutes of experimenting. I found the aperture strength setting to not work right so I leave it at 2 and use the other settings to adjust the DI aggressiveness. After adjusting the IRIS, you may find a need to fiddle with Dynamic Black Reset and Reset Max/Min Aperture and/or Aperture Position Calibration in order for the settings to take and hold to a new DI strength. I do not recall exactly what combo works, but you just keep fiddling until you see a change in the DI. The way you test it and look for DI changes to take effect is on an ALL Black screen. Load up an all black-screen, then hit the regular Menu button on/off that will cause the Dynamic IRIS to close when it goes back to the black screen so you can see how aggressive the IRIS is being. Keep messing with the settings and then re-testing until the DI seems that it is responding correctly. You will have to go back and forth between the SM and Regular Menu several times and it is a bit tedious, but not too bad.

You can even FORCE the dynamic IRIS enabled in 3D mode by turning DB = on back in the service menu, but I wouldn't as it doesn't always work correctly (which is another reason to leave DB = off in the SM). It's been a long time since I've messed with this, so I apologize if I made a mistake in my explanation, but you'll figure it out.

BTW, I have about 5000 hours on the lamp now, and holy cow this thing is still super bright. If the lamp doesn't explode I can make it to 10,000 maybe given how bright it is.
Reddig likes this.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3758 of 3794 Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that , coderguy! Much appreciated.

Do you have any "rough" % for how much it improved your dark gray floor performance before crushing everything? Odd they didn't make it a little more aggressive from the factory.
post #3759 of 3794 Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In my experience turning iris on in 3d, glasses lose sync. Alot
post #3760 of 3794 Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Liked: 13
BTW, I have about 5000 hours on the lamp now, and holy cow this thing is still super bright. If the lamp doesn't explode I can make it to 10,000 maybe given how bright it is.
Edited by coderguy - 12/29/13 at 12:22am

At 2700 hours using User 2 or 3 which are brighter and shut down with red light for lamp. Rebooted and briefly fine, then shut down again with red light for lamp. Did pull out lamp (pain as one screw out of visual so was tugging before found it, so actually pretty easy then) but now wondering I never reset lamp hours. Could this be related, an automatic hours shutdown at 2700, as think you did reset lamp hours? Looked at manual and they say don't reset lamp hours and have been just clicking thru hours warning for awhile, but pic was fine and just shut down. I may just rescrew lamp back in and try resetting lamp hours before ordering a new lamp as your hours are amazing. Thoughts?

Followup: Reset lamp hours to zero and back to cinema. Lasted 2 hours and shut down to red, so as Dandy Don used to say for Monday Night Football, 'the party's over'. Will order new lamp. Probably effectively in 3000 hour region since about half was at cinema or standard, last half user 2 or 3. Never got that dim at User 3. Had hoped to approach coderdudes amazing number, but clearly is not to be!
Reddig likes this.
post #3761 of 3794 Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Believe it is DC2 chip with 4x color wheel, 6x on dynamic (brightest but worst colors) . Based on projectorreviews.com screenshots I would argue the w7000 is a more refined pic. Also has the dynamic iris, which while black levels are a weakness and the DI is a bit temperamental, DI does help. The 1070 is however considered a no brainer at its price level, but the W7000 has also crashed in price.

Still generally agree, though, if price not issue, may be better choices as Benq W7500 just came out, DC3, so hopefully somewhat better darkness. Also Sharp Z30000, for smaller screens, is darker than W7000, but as discontinued harder to find.
post #3762 of 3794 Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM

I noticing banding on skies and walls. Also, it gets really bad when Brilliant Color is ON. Glare on skin/faces looks like pink yellowish blobs. What's causing this? I don't recall seeing this when I first got the projector. I got a replacement for the problem and it looked good at first and now it's doing it again.
post #3763 of 3794 Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM

I have the same issue. Anyone have a fix?
post #3764 of 3794 Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Mine does this too and it is the only complaint I have as all other aspects are great. Is it related to the setting and adjustments I took brilliant color off but still does it.
post #3765 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarr View Post

Opening crawl on any Star Wars movie will show some the dynamic iris at work. My iris is pretty loud and you can see pumping of the contrast during some scenes. After I installed all my DIY acoustic panels in my theater the noise of the iris is greatly reduced. Prolly since I eliminated all the slap echo and it's noise isn't bouncing around. I really wish the iris was adjustable tho instead of either off or DI on that's my biggest gripe. 3d is reference quality tho wow. It simply never ghosts.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3766 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Opening crawl on any Star Wars movie will show some the dynamic iris at work. My iris is pretty loud and you can see pumping of the contrast during some scenes. After I installed all my DIY acoustic panels in my theater the noise of the iris is greatly reduced. Prolly since I eliminated all the slap echo and it's noise isn't bouncing around. I really wish the iris was adjustable tho instead of either off or DI on that's my biggest gripe. 3d is reference quality tho wow. It simply never ghosts.
it can be ajusted in servise menu
post #3767 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM

I have played with the iris settings in the service menu,getting better results,but the problem is EVERY time I turn the projector off the settings just go back to were they were before.Any suggestions for making the settings stay after turning the unit off??
post #3768 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Interesting. How old is your PJ. Mine was manufactured in 11/12 and iris sound is barely noticeable. I’ve heard others complain about loud iris on w7000s and just wondering if it’s a problem with older units.

Steven J
post #3769 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

it can be ajusted in servise menu
No sh*t? All b dam I'll have too look into this. I'd love to set it at close lowest point. I get plenty of brightness. Can you point me in direction of how to get into service menu and do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven414 View Post

Interesting. How old is your PJ. Mine was manufactured in 11/12 and iris sound is barely noticeable. I’ve heard others complain about loud iris on w7000s and just wondering if it’s a problem with older units.
Made in 9/12. I believe you. Story goes is that my first one made in 11/12 had a super quiet iris and I loved it. But at around 100 hrs the bulb exploded and glass went all inside the projector. So I returned it to Amazon and got my unit I have now. Unfortunately the iris was louder on this one. In hindsight I should have returned for a third one but I had just finished my theater and I was so excited to watch movies.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3770 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:

No sh*t? All b dam I'll have too look into this. I'd love to set it at close lowest point. I get plenty of brightness. Can you point me in direction of how to get into service menu and do this?
Made in 9/12. I believe you. Story goes is that my first one made in 11/12 had a super quiet iris and I loved it. But at around 100 hrs the bulb exploded and glass went all inside the projector. So I returned it to Amazon and got my unit I have now. Unfortunately the iris was louder on this one. In hindsight I should have returned for a third one but I had just finished my theater and I was so excited to watch movies.
go to last page on menu. Up down up down up down select on remote page 8 in service menu turn dynamic black off change aperture min seems most people use 6 should be on 12. I wouldnt go lower than 6 left this on 4 other day and 3d glasses wouldnt work toke me couple of days to figure out what was wrong
Reddig likes this.
post #3771 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

I have played with the iris settings in the service menu,getting better results,but the problem is EVERY time I turn the projector off the settings just go back to were they were before.Any suggestions for making the settings stay after turning the unit off??
are you changing aperture position or aperture min
post #3772 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:

are you changing aperture position or aperture min
I have been playing with aperture min and max,left the aperture position alone as I don't have a clue what that's for??
post #3773 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM

I believe aperture position is were aperture is at with service menu on. Must be something different with projectors i can change aperture min to 6 and it will not change unless i change it not even with dynamc black on it will stay the same
post #3774 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

go to last page on menu. Up down up down up down select on remote page 8 in service menu turn dynamic black off change aperture min seems most people use 6 should be on 12. I wouldnt go lower than 6 left this on 4 other day and 3d glasses wouldnt work toke me couple of days to figure out what was wrong
Thanks a lot man!! Very much appreciated! Gunna give it try in a bit

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3775 of 3794 Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 PM

No problem
post #3776 of 3794 Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie75 View Post

I noticing banding on skies and walls. Also, it gets really bad when Brilliant Color is ON. Glare on skin/faces looks like pink yellowish blobs. What's causing this? I don't recall seeing this when I first got the projector. I got a replacement for the problem and it looked good at first and now it's doing it again.
If it's the same thing I was experiencing (mostly on faces) I found that a setting on the service menu corrected it.If you got to page 7 there is a setting called "CW Index Delay",it was at 122 and I adjusted it to 114 and it fixed the issue I was having.The only problem is that every adjustment I make the in the service menu goes back the the original setting every time I power the projector off then on again.Anyone know how to make these settings permanently stay?
post #3777 of 3794 Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

How do i access the service menus? Someone posted a code of up-down x 3. I tried it several time to no avail. Any other suggestions???

Thank you,
post #3778 of 3794 Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Are you scrolling to the last menu tab on the right (I can't remember what it's called)? Hit up down X3 and then hit 'enter'... and it should go into service menu.

Steven J
post #3779 of 3794 Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Massive failure, so hopefully can get some ideas here. Two nights ago early into Underworld off DirectTV feed, pic locked but still looked good. Heard sound changing properly and turned off DirectTV feed. When turned it back on, had no picture. Rebooted Benq and still no picture. Do have 30 day old bulb under warranty, but they and I skeptical bulb failed. Did burnoff first few hours when tried bulb, but looked good after that. When start up, keep getting very tiny amount of light, so initially see purple on screen, but no Benq logo, then goes to nothing. When I put a sheet of paper over end see tiny white rectangle. Pushing the remote does not bring up menu at all even in miniature. Have rechecked connections, have tried another power cord, even switched out new lamp with old to see if something, but nothing. Old one had previously worked for awhile before temp button shuts down, but now nothing before get temp light. No temp light or indication of trouble on new lamp, just no output from projector. Tech support number searched on benq site and no answer or message. Numbers off shipping sheet when I upgraded to 1.03 disconnected or full mailbox. Know numbers are on this forum, but hard to search as my computer runs this site horribly slow for some reason. Know remote is working as can turn on/off but never see menu so don't know if this is somehow correctable thru service menu or full reset, as can't access. Did watch the Underworld on old tv as had recorded and no blips, was not the DirectTV feed. Have also tried bluray and nothing. If this is DI which I've been able to reset, massive clampdown then, but would have thought see something on the screen. No clue at this point.
post #3780 of 3794 Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I am having exactly the same problem. Lamp works. Small amount of light output, but no picture. Have switched inputs, lamp, power, everything, no luck. Any advice appreciated.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page