Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 3794 Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone with the old model from Dec flip it over and tell me what the revision number is? I just got mine in and firmware is 1.0, revision 001. 3D switching seems much improved on this unit although I am sure it is an older one. I am curious if my Denon receiver was causing further switching lag over the Onkyo I have it hooked into now because it is actually fast from what i've tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3794 Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

After spending more time with the unit tonight I am going to go out on a limb this is the new firmware. I contacted the vendor my friend bought the projector from and they stated it was drop shipped directly from BenQ. The 3D switchng is extremely fast and my IRIS is making the same sound Projector Central complained about (very high pitched noise is best way to describe it or a wheel that needs oil and chirps.)

I am going to attempt a simple calibration tonight or tomorrow but so far I would not say the black levels are in the same league as the Sony with the IRIS tweak. Even without it I don't think the blacks are as good.

I will have to wait for zombie to get his unit to confirm what his menu states the revison is to indeed confirm this is the real deal. So far outside of the 3D improvements it looks the same as my first one (which isn't a bad thing by any means outside of the elevated blacks) because this unit is capable of an extremely sharp, bright picture, with a lot of "pop" on the colors.
post #513 of 3794 Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
j - thanks for the info, I'll let you know on Monday night. What glasses are you using?

I am going to try out these ZD201's tonight on the Acer, I've never used DLP links glasses on it, so I'm curious to see how they compare to the Nvidia 3D visions.
post #514 of 3794 Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Can someone with the old model from Dec flip it over and tell me what the revision number is? I just got mine in and firmware is 1.0, revision 001. 3D switching seems much improved on this unit although I am sure it is an older one. I am curious if my Denon receiver was causing further switching lag over the Onkyo I have it hooked into now because it is actually fast from what i've tested.

On the bottom of mine it says Mfg Date December 2011,2011
Rev / 00.100

And the S/N starts with PV3CB0106_____
post #515 of 3794 Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Isn't the new firmware supposed to be 1.00-3?
post #516 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Isn't the new firmware supposed to be 1.00-3?

That is what I believed to be the case but switching was flawless all night and I was trying to make it hang up. I tested a numer of bluray movies, sbs files, and wipeout and uncharted 3. Either the one I have indeed has the new firmware or it was my Denon causing the issues before because in my secondary room is an 809 Onkyo.

3D looked really good on this thing and super bright, if it had enough zoom for my screen I would have kept it and dealt with the black levels (note:assuming this was the new ver, they might be good and I still got an old unit.) Largest size I could fill my screen was 93% because it appeared to be pinching all four corners. Based on calculators it should have been around 96-97".

Zombie- Optoma/Viewsonic pgd-150. 0 ghosting on everything and I was cranking the depth on everything.

Attaching pics I took with Iphone, may look like crap so I apologize but figured it would be fun since thread is dying down. 2 are from HDTV (Fast & Furious and the Sandwich) and other shows dlp-link red before glasses in first one.

Attachment 238384

Attachment 238385

Attachment 238386

Attachment 238387

Attachment 238388

Attachment 238389
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #517 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Just picked up my projector. Mine also says December 2011 for production and Rev #00-100

I'm just in the process of mounting it and I will report my findings after I have had a chance to play with it.

I won't be receiving my True Depth glasses until Monday now but I'm sure I will have lots to keep me occupied until then
post #518 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones View Post

Just picked up my projector. Mine also says December 2011 for production and Rev #00-100

I'm just in the process of mounting it and I will report my findings after I have had a chance to play with it.

I won't be receiving my True Depth glasses until Monday now but I'm sure I will have lots to keep me occupied until then

I did extensive testing yesterday and found setting noise reduction to 0 and detail enhancement to 1 (max of 2) produced the cleanest picture with way less artifacts. Anything over 2 looked very unnatural and like the pixels were smeering into one another. I also turned off brilliant color although it did make the colors pop more. Image was still super, super sharp even with such low settings.
post #519 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 92
OK, what am I missing?

I am using:

User1
Real Mode (Tryed all modes - no luck)
Sharpness 0
Noise Reduction 0
Detail enhancement 0

And I can not get 1:1 pixel mapping at all....

I tryed:
1080P 60htz
&
1080P 24htz

Sharpness at 0 actually has a super negitive effect on "sharpness" and only looks ok at 7 or 8.

I think I got a bad unit...
post #520 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Sowk - any processing going on from your receiver perhaps? I constantly had to keep switching my 809 from Direct to Through to get 1:1 mapping and keeping the projector on real. Never have this issue on my Sony, Direct keeps it 1:1 but the Benq did not.
post #521 of 3794 Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sowk - any processing going on from your receiver perhaps? I constantly had to keep switching my 809 from Direct to Through to get 1:1 mapping and keeping the projector on real. Never have this issue on my Sony, Direct keeps it 1:1 but the Benq did not.

I am not going through a receiver, direct connections to the projector from the sources, no sound...

Any setting in the service menu that may help?
If so?

How do you even get in?

Otherwise I actually like the projector...
Brightness is AMAZING!
13 ftL in Eco mode!!!!!
17 ftL in normal mode!!!!!!
post #522 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 AM

Liked: 12
So does that mean 3d brightness is great as well on the new firmware units? I need something that can handle a 147" (16:9, 1.2 gain) AT screen.
post #523 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

So does that mean 3d brightness is great as well on the new firmware units? I need something that can handle a 147" (16:9, 1.2 gain) AT screen.

3D brightness definitely looks cut in half compared to 2D and I didn't see any modes to switch it to say Dynamic like you can on the Epson, but it is still plenty bright.

2D won't be an issue for a screen your size and 3D should be acceptable.
post #524 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Haw

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It seems strange that Benq should cut brightness for 3D when other manufacturers like JVC, Optoma... actually increase brightness in 3D mode to compensate for light loss through 3d glasses.
post #525 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I am not going through a receiver, direct connections to the projector from the sources, no sound...

Any setting in the service menu that may help?
If so?

How do you even get in?

Otherwise I actually like the projector...
Brightness is AMAZING!
13 ftL in Eco mode!!!!!
17 ftL in normal mode!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't think I'm seeing 1:1 key mapping either. First I just plugged in the W7000 where my W5000 originally was... left all the wiring exactly the same way. Fired it up and the first thing I noticed was a very soft picture.

I played around in the settings, but there was nothing I could find to change it. This is not even close to the same picture quality of my W5000. I then disconnected the cables and ran the HDMI straight from the PS3 to the W7000... exact same thing!!

Am I missing a big step here? I have to say when I got my W5000, plugged it in and fired it up the picture/pop was amazing. I haven't been able to find anything in the menu to change this.

One thing I can tell you is that this projector is bright.. I love it Able to have my back lights on with no problem and the picture is bright even in ECO mode.

SOWK let me know if you had any luck figuring yours out.
post #526 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't think I'm seeing 1:1 key mapping either. First I just plugged in the W7000 where my W5000 originally was... left all the wiring exactly the same way. Fired it up and the first thing I noticed was a very soft picture.

I played around in the settings, but there was nothing I could find to change it. This is not even close to the same picture quality of my W5000. I then disconnected the cables and ran the HDMI straight from the PS3 to the W7000... exact same thing!!

Am I missing a big step here? I have to say when I got my W5000, plugged it in and fired it up the picture/pop was amazing. I haven't been able to find anything in the menu to change this.

One thing I can tell you is that this projector is bright.. I love it Able to have my back lights on with no problem and the picture is bright even in ECO mode.

SOWK let me know if you had any luck figuring yours out.

Try adjusting the Detail Enhancement to 2. That seemed to sharpen the picture up for me.
post #527 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svosteve View Post

Try adjusting the Detail Enhancement to 2. That seemed to sharpen the picture up for me.

I tried that and still no luck. I have tried every setting in that menu and I still can't get it to look the same. I just tried different HDMI ports... Next I'm going to try a different cable.

It looks blurry to me (the picture is focused), very soft. My W5000 was very sharp.
post #528 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svosteve View Post

Sorry it's called Clarity Control
post #529 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM

I have now tried different cables, running the signal through my receiver, running it through an HDMI splitter and nothing changes. The picture looks the exact same either way.

Could I have a defective unit?

If my setup worked fine a few days ago with my W5000 you think it would with the W7000 (other than the 3D).
post #530 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what material are you using to compare? do you have any test patterns to get a closer look at what's going on?

I didn't notice any issues with the v1.0 back in December, it was razor sharp. the replacement will be here tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what I see.
post #531 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cru-Jones View Post

I tried that and still no luck. I have tried every setting in that menu and I still can't get it to look the same. I just tried different HDMI ports... Next I'm going to try a different cable.

It looks blurry to me (the picture is focused), very soft. My W5000 was very sharp.

I think they need another "Firmware" update AGAIN!!!!

I'm just going to return mine till I think they know what the hell they are doing!!!!

BenQ, if you read this, you just lost a customer, until you fix this ridiculous issue. This is basic 101.

Or... Allow your users to upgrade the firmware themselves!!!

You have both a USB and RS-232 port of the thing....
post #532 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

what material are you using to compare? do you have any test patterns to get a closer look at what's going on?

I didn't notice any issues with the v1.0 back in December, it was razor sharp. the replacement will be here tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what I see.

I have used various Blu-Ray discs, I also have my HTPC running to it with XBMC. Both methods before produced a razor sharp image as you described with my W5000.

Basically the first thing I tried was swapping projectors with the exact same hardware config. I know I will have to upgrade a few components to get 3D working, but everything else should produce the same if not better image.

The first image I used for comparison was my XBMC main menu. Everything looked soft almost blurry. Then I noticed the cover art for my films were hard to focus on... My wife sat there while I tried adjusting the lens to get a better image and I got it as focused as I could.

Next I thought it was my HTPC hardware that was preventing the sharp image so I tried my PS3 next. When I got it up and running the XMB looked the same... soft almost blurry.

I then ran the cable directly from my PS3 to the projector and the image didn't change one bit so I then figured out it had nothing to do with my components.

I have messed around with every setting in that projector and still get the same results.

No I haven't tried any test patterns other than the BenQ one.

It's only been two days without my W5000 so it's easy for me to remember the quality difference.
post #533 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info, it sounds like you are seeing a noticeable difference between the older BenQ and this new W7000.

I definitely remember the original one we demo'd in dec was very sharp, so i'll be curious to see the one arriving tomorrow to see if this a trend or some issues with particular copies.
post #534 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:

thanks for the info, it sounds like you are seeing a noticeable difference between the older BenQ and this new W7000.

I definitely remember the original one we demo'd in dec was very sharp, so i'll be curious to see the one arriving tomorrow to see if this a trend or some issues with particular copies.

Yes it's a huge difference... very frustrating to be honest. I was very excited to get this thing home and see the amazing picture everyone was raving about.

On a more positive note I am please with the improvements they have made with this projector compared to my W5000... lens shift, discreet on and off, brightness and a few others.

I don't know if this helps at all, but the 3D switching (auto, off and on) takes a really long time and like others have said everything seems to lock up. Not sure if I have an older version/firmware. I will hook up the rs232 and pull the firmware version out...

Looking forward to your findings tomorrow.. I will be contacting BenQ in the morning.
post #535 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did extensive testing yesterday and found setting noise reduction to 0 and detail enhancement to 1 (max of 2) produced the cleanest picture with way less artifacts. Anything over 2 looked very unnatural and like the pixels were smeering into one another. I also turned off brilliant color although it did make the colors pop more. Image was still super, super sharp even with such low settings.

did you see any difference in sharpness between this one and the w7000 from December?
post #536 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can resolve a pixel on / pixel off pattern you are ok.

My unit does not support 1:1 mapping at all. The internal Menu GUI is perfect, but no external source can be 1:1 mapped correctly.

And a pixel on / pixel off pattern is just all grey.
post #537 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM

I just tried moving my PS3 to the projector and running a 6' cable. I'm getting the same picture with this config. I tried adjusting the noise and detail and I barely notice a difference from 0-Max.

Is it normal not to be able to adjust the Black Level IRE when hooked to HDMI?

I downloaded a 1:1 pixel on/off video in 1080p and put that through the PS3 and it shows a grey picture... is that normal?

Aspect ratio is set to REAL... All other settings have been reset to factory to give it another go and the picture remains the same.

I see samples online when a projector is not displaying 1:1 pixel rendition and it looks very similar.. blended pictures very soft edges. The text looks alright, but it's a very noticeable difference in the pictures.

I put on Gran Turismo and went to the main menu and so much of it looks soft... no sharpness.

I don't know what else to try. If a anyone has a suggestion I will give it a go. If not I will put the call into BenQ tomorrow and see what they can do for me.
post #538 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM

I thought I would try something and see what happens. I plugged my component cable into my PS3 and the projector. Changed the settings to match the HDMi and low and behold my sharpness appeared!

I adjusted the detail to 4 and it looked great. Ran some 1080p and 720p material and it looked great. You could notice the difference in the menu.. the XMB icons were a lot clearer now.

I tried 3 different HDMI cables and they all produced the same picture as before.. soft almost blurred.

Maybe my HDMI inputs are faulty... there is no reason why the component cable should produce a sharper image is there?
post #539 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I thought I would try something and see what happens. I plugged my component cable into my PS3 and the projector. Changed the settings to match the HDMi and low and behold my sharpness appeared!

I adjusted the detail to 4 and it looked great. Ran some 1080p and 720p material and it looked great. You could notice the difference in the menu.. the XMB icons were a lot clearer now.

I tried 3 different HDMI cables and they all produced the same picture as before.. soft almost blurred.

Maybe my HDMI inputs are faulty... there is no reason why the component cable should produce a sharper image is there?

Are you using a 1.4 hdmi cable or a 1.3?
post #540 of 3794 Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried moving my PS3 to the projector and running a 6' cable. I'm getting the same picture with this config. I tried adjusting the noise and detail and I barely notice a difference from 0-Max.

Is it normal not to be able to adjust the Black Level IRE when hooked to HDMI?

I downloaded a 1:1 pixel on/off video in 1080p and put that through the PS3 and it shows a grey picture... is that normal?

Aspect ratio is set to REAL... All other settings have been reset to factory to give it another go and the picture remains the same.

I see samples online when a projector is not displaying 1:1 pixel rendition and it looks very similar.. blended pictures very soft edges. The text looks alright, but it's a very noticeable difference in the pictures.

I put on Gran Turismo and went to the main menu and so much of it looks soft... no sharpness.

I don't know what else to try. If a anyone has a suggestion I will give it a go. If not I will put the call into BenQ tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

We must have the exact same firmware. I was told I got a new hardware and firmware one, and have all the same issues you are.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page