AVS Forum banner
390K views 4K replies 368 participants last post by  sharkshark 
#1 ·
See less See more
#427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 /forum/post/21614272

How do you know the Acer has better blacks if you've never seen the 7000? I know Art said the blacks weren't up to the 6000 but that is going to be fixed with the new units. And the clobbering of the glasses I'm not sure who said that. You are correct, thank goodness for forums like this as it brings everything out to the open. One negative to forums like this is someone may read your post and take the 7000 for a total failure which really isn't the case. It throws a fantastic image.

Acer 100% had better blacks on both my screens (1.2 gain and 2.4 gain), I'd bet a paycheck on it and this is from experience with both.

With that said, the Acer is having its own fair share of issues that are more severe than what the BenQ has before the firmware update so I'd wait for the new update from BenQ and then decide on either unit if DLP is a requirement.

#428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21614796

Acer 100% had better blacks on both my screens (1.2 gain and 2.4 gain), I'd bet a paycheck on it and this is from experience with both.

With that said, the Acer is having its own fair share of issues that are more severe than what the BenQ has before the firmware update so I'd wait for the new update from BenQ and then decide on either unit if DLP is a requirement.

The Acer has better blacks in 3D, are you talking 2D or 3d?

The IRIS maybe wasn't closing properly on the Benq for 2D either, but I'm not sure, but I do believe this has been fixed. However, in tested On/Off, the numbers are nearly the same. I'm not sure I'd call all the Acer issues severe for every user, but to me they are a mixed bag, such as no CMS and ability to calibrate is the biggest drawback on the Acer to me. That might not stop newer users though, but I calibrate everything and it helps a lot.

#429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21614824

the acer has better blacks in 3d, are you talking 2d or 3d?

The iris maybe wasn't closing properly on the benq for 2d either, but i'm not sure, but i do believe this has been fixed. However, in tested on/off, the numbers are nearly the same. I'm not sure i'd call all the acer issues severe for every user, but to me they are a mixed bag, such as no cms and ability to calibrate is the biggest drawback on the acer to me. That might not stop newer users though, but i calibrate everything and it helps a lot.

2d

#432 ·
I still want this projector but waiting for them to squish the bugs. I give them till tax time to sort it all out if not then I'm just buying a new bulb for my current PJ.

I feel that all the current projectors that are being talked about are a clear step backwards from my old Benq8720. Does anyone remember the MSRP for the 8720 when it was released over 6 years ago? I bought it at a smidge over 2 Grand. It has powered lens shift, focus and zoom. Zero input lag is great for gaming. And a 5X color wheel, no rainbows in my eyes.

All the new PJ's on the block are rather sad in comparison. 6 years of tech and no real advancement beyond frame interpolation and bouncy iris that will drive me nuts. All done with CPU's that can barely keep up. Ugg

#434 ·

Quote:

How do you know the Acer has better blacks if you've never seen the 7000? I know Art said the blacks weren't up to the 6000 but that is going to be fixed with the new units. And the clobbering of the glasses I'm not sure who said that.

Kraine reviewed both and purchased the Acer for himself. I'm guessing M2C is basing his opinions on Kraine's findings. Regarding the glasses, a number of people have posted comparisons on different glasses. There seems to be a general consensus that the Acers are better than a number of other brands, but they are not without faults. 1. Some users have complained about its white frame color 2. They are pretty hard to purchase (i.e. find in the reseller market).

#435 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21614407

That said, the Acer is much less expensive and is a nice deal, but I'd like to see the Acer come down in price a bit more before I decide to grab one to evaluate it.

Considering that in direct comparison some users have picked the Acer over the Benq, and the Acer includes a set of glasses and cost $1K less, I doubt they will be seen as over priced. A better argument can be made for the Benq reducing its price. I doubt you will be seeing any major price reductions on the Acer in the foreseeable future.

#437 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/21616124

Considering that in direct comparison some users have picked the Acer over the Benq, and the Acer includes a set of glasses and cost $1K less, I doubt they will be seen as over priced. A better argument can be made for the Benq reducing its price. I doubt you will be seeing any major price reductions on the Acer in the foreseeable future.

The Acer has no gray-scale adjustments, only DC 2 (guess Benq still DC2 as well though), no CMS on the Acer either, any gamma adjustments (guessing some defaults ones is all?), that is a hard sell for a projector approaching $2000 IMHO, even if you do the 3D superbly. It also only has the 4x color wheel, so that's an issue for me personally (but not for most).

Now maybe the Acer color OOTB is good enough to satisfy me, but I don't know. I think the Acer could very well come down since it still has some issues (PC hookup in hTPC not as sharp as it should be, HTPC issues, SBS issues, no calibration controls, etc...)...

#439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/21614943

Mark, does that mean they finally have the update?

And is AVS now selling them?

The new revised and new firmware ones will be on their way to us in Webster, NY, soon. You can certainly place an order anytime. We don't charge your card until we ship and will ship one to you the day they hit us in Webster. Please give Mike or I a call if you want to order one or discuss etc. Thank you.

#440 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21616187

The Acer has no gray-scale adjustments...no CMS on the Acer either

Irrelevant to the avg user paying ~$1.5k for a front projector
Quote:
only DC 2 (guess Benq still DC2 as well though)

As you noted, far more expensive FP use the same chip (including the old Samsung that sold for ~$10K)
Quote:
any gamma adjustments (guessing some defaults ones is all?)

I think it had about 6 or more settings. One of the owners (Kraine?) spoke well of them.
Quote:
that is a hard sell for a projector approaching $2000 IMHO, even if you do the 3D superbly.

Not when many people seem to think it is better than anything under $3K (including the Benq).
Quote:
It also only has the 4x color wheel, so that's an issue for me personally (but not for most).

Not for most users, but I agree that it can be an issue (especially if RBE really bothers you, in which case the price should not be deciding factor)
Quote:
Now maybe the Acer color OOTB is good enough to satisfy me, but I don't know. I think the Acer could very well come down since it still has some issues

I'm not sure it can meet your needs, I'm still looking because it did not totally meet my needs (I was rooting for the Benq...now I'm hoping the redesign gets me there). However, the question is whether most consumers will share your concerns, and I would argue no. In fact some people in this forum with decent taste in FP (e.g. Kraine) feel the Acer is the best choice anywhere near its price range, so I'm guessing it will be a while until they lower the street price (i.e. drop it $300-$500 from the present SP).

#441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 /forum/post/21613647

You admit you've never seen the W7000 yet say the Acer is better, WTF?! Not following the logic here

That is why I said flame suit on. I toiled away for months on these forums reading impressions and that is why I said I never saw the w7000 to qualify that. I read reviews, Art's, Kraine's, Jmalto, even the shootout here. I should have qualified that statement with "I have read".

Quote:

How do you know the Acer has better blacks if you've never seen the 7000? I know Art said the blacks weren't up to the 6000 but that is going to be fixed with the new units. And the clobbering of the glasses I'm not sure who said that. You are correct, thank goodness for forums like this as it brings everything out to the open. One negative to forums like this is someone may read your post and take the 7000 for a total failure which really isn't the case. It throws a fantastic image.

Well, they could read some of my posts of the 9500 and take that one for a failure as well and I own that one. Yes Art said the W7000 was not up to the W6000, yet he said the 9500 could be considered a high contrast unit. Art was trying to be kind in his W7000 review. Read my reply above. I was on the phone with PP one day about to buy the W7000 but backed out and called BenQ support first about my concerns. They denied any problems and told me if a FW was needed I would have to pay to send it in. SCRATCH off the list. You tell me what has failed here. As for the BenQ glasses, I believe they are a rebranded Optoma set that is not faring well in reviews by anybody I have read. I have compared my Acer glasses to my UC ones and they are better. My point all along here was I have followed this unit from day one and did not like what I saw. Based on what BenQ is doing with the first run I call it a failure. I am a DLP fanboy but they screwed the pooch with the first run of this unit. As for the Acer that may turn out to be the case as well but I feel better with Acer taking care of me and that is a personal thing. I have other Acer stuff. Perhaps you could set me straight and give me a better description of what to call the first run of the W7000 which will not be corrected with a FW update but a main board replacement or whatever they are doing because I knew back when that buying that unit meant planning to send it in for service. I am getting tired of PJ manufacturers not allowing end users to do FW updates. Just about everything else I own allows this. Foolish strategy especially when you sell a unit not fully tested with issues.

#442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents /forum/post/0

That is why I said flame suit on. I toiled away for months on these forums reading impressions and that is why I said I never saw the w7000 to qualify that. I read reviews, Art's, Kraine's, Jmalto, even the shootout here. I should have qualified that statement with "I have read".

Well, they could read some of my posts of the 9500 and take that one for a failure as well and I own that one. Yes Art said the W7000 was not up to the W6000, yet he said the 9500 could be considered a high contrast unit. Art was trying to be kind in his W7000 review. Read my reply above. I was on the phone with PP one day about to buy the W7000 but backed out and called BenQ support first about my concerns. They denied any problems and told me if a FW was needed I would have to pay to send it in. SCRATCH off the list. You tell me what has failed here. As for the BenQ glasses, I believe they are a rebranded Optoma set that is not faring well in reviews by anybody I have read. I have compared my Acer glasses to my UC ones and they are better. My point all along here was I have followed this unit from day one and did not like what I saw. Based on what BenQ is doing with the first run I call it a failure. I am a DLP fanboy but they screwed the pooch with the first run of this unit. As for the Acer that may turn out to be the case as well but I feel better with Acer taking care of me and that is a personal thing. I have other Acer stuff. Perhaps you could set me straight and give me a better description of what to call the first run of the W7000 which will not be corrected with a FW update but a main board replacement or whatever they are doing because I knew back when that buying that unit meant planning to send it in for service. I am getting tired of PJ manufacturers not allowing end users to do FW updates. Just about everything else I own allows this. Foolish strategy especially when you sell a unit not fully tested with issues.

Does the Acer allow user firmware updates? Re: glasses the BenQ any DlpLink glasses can be used you're not locked into proprietary glasses like what Mitsubishi did with their HC7800. Regatding DlpLink glasses I have read alot of favorable reviews of the Optoma ZD201.

#443 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/21617358

Irrelevant to the avg user paying ~$1.5k for a front projector

As you noted, far more expensive FP use the same chip (including the old Samsung that sold for ~$10K)

I think it had about 6 or more settings. One of the owners (Kraine?) spoke well of them.

Not when many people seem to think it is better than anything under $3K (including the Benq).

Not for most users, but I agree that it can be an issue (especially if RBE really bothers you, in which case the price should not be deciding factor)

I'm not sure it can meet your needs, I'm still looking because it did not totally meet my needs (I was rooting for the Benq...now I'm hoping the redesign gets me there). However, the question is whether most consumers will share your concerns, and I would argue no. In fact some people in this forum with decent taste in FP (e.g. Kraine) feel the Acer is the best choice anywhere near its price range, so I'm guessing it will be a while until they lower the street price (i.e. drop it $300-$500 from the present SP).

Raul, thanks. You handled that with great aplomb. Art might also need to recognize how many people who buy a $1500 PJ are not going to be calibrating it with the proper equipment. Yes I said $1500. I am not here to rain on the W7000 parade because I wanted that unit. Seems the parade was rained out but hopefully a rain check is in the very near future. As for CMS I can do some calibration using my AVR for the 9500 but quite frankly I am not going to do it. The dandy controls in the W7000 are similar to the robust ones in my 8350 and I have yet to really dig into that. Can you say use a crappy meter get a worse picture? Anyway, I hope the ship gets righted here and I am still glad I passed and went Acer. Were it not for this forum I would not have known about the issues and as it stands I have a different unit with the issues I knew about but can live with for now. I have no doubt the W7000 will end up a better unit than the H9500BD but I am not sure it will be $1K better after viewing the 9500. In 1 or 2 years there will be another next best thing. I am hoping affordable LED DLP and I will ditch all of my stuff for that.

#444 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 /forum/post/21618511

Does the Acer allow user firmware updates? Re: glasses the BenQ any DlpLink glasses can be used you're not locked into proprietary glasses like what Mitsubishi did with their HC7800. Regatding DlpLink glasses I have read alot of favorable reviews of the Optoma ZD201.

No user FW updates from Acer yet either. Not going to argue glasses with you except I agree Mitsu painted themselves in a corner. I would not touch that unit with your 10' pole let alone mine. Relax, I am sure the W7000 is going to be fixed and it will be a great unit. Just like the crap they put early W6000 owners through. Unfortunately I may have early adopter growing pains with the 9500 as well.

#447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc /forum/post/0

Yikes, the lumen measurements are much less than Art's review.....I don't understand how we get these huge differences.

I think I am sticking with my Infocus SP8602 for a while. Might get me an Epson 3010 to play with 3D.

1100 lumens max in 3D ridiculous considering this is 2000 lumen projector and need all the lumens you can get due to extreme light loss behind glasses. The iris noise sounds extreme from the description.

#448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/0

New review:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor-review.htm

Amazing, they managed to report everything Zombie and I did over a month ago

Sounds like the 3D switching is fixed since they did not complain about it. I don't remember thr iris being loud on mine, I wonder if they tried to improve black levels and jacked up the iris somehow in the process.

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21641544

Amazing, they managed to report everything Zombie and I did over a month ago

Sounds like the 3D switching is fixed since they did not complain about it. I don't remember thr iris being loud on mine, I wonder if they tried to improve black levels and jacked up the iris somehow in the process.

See post 1874 in this link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...382091&page=63

Do you recall seeing any negative consequences of using DLP Link glasses with the W7000? Are DLP Link glasses the only ones you can use with the W7000?

#451 ·
I got my firmware 1.0 W7000 last week. The 1080p/24 flicking bug in firmware 0.28 is fixed. I can't distinguish the black level things between these 2 versions. And I'm happy with the image quality.

The 2D->3D mode switching time is never a problem for me since ver 0.28 firmware when I turn off "auto search" for image source. It takes about 4~5 seconds for both versions.

I prefer the normal mode than cinema mode for more image detail.

If the image clarity is set over 2 , there are white edges appears at black objects ( clothes , paints ...etc.). So I just set clarity control to 1 or 2.

The dynamic mode which using original lamp color is with too much greenish tint. By changing to "warm color" , the image looks good. ( But I think the luminance may also dropped ... Anyway , it's bright enough for the default 3D mode. I don't use dynamic mode for watching movie at all...)

And the optoma ZD201 DLP link 3D glasses is much more comfortable than BenQ's solution with the same image quality. No ghost for 3D at all , and no rainbow observed for me and all my families. I'm very happy with my W7000. ^___^