post #541 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

did you see any difference in sharpness between this one and the w7000 from December?

Not at all. Once I changed the settings under the clarity control it fixed my issues outside of having to switch the video source mode on my receiver to keep it 1:1. When noise and detail enhnacement were cranked the image looked sharp and yet soft at the same time because the pixels looked like they were smeering into one another.

I think the unit looks just as sharp as the one I had in December and the screen shot of the fast and furious should prove that even though it is not of great quality. After switching from the BenQ to the Sony I definitely favor the BenQ in terms of sharpness over the HW30.

For those that are having issues, change the 3D modes back and forth and see if it hangs. If it does not, you probably do indeed have one of the newer units. I will be very curious to see what zombie's firmware says the revision is because even though mine was 1.00, it was definitely better than my first unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by svosteve View Post

Are you using a 1.4 hdmi cable or a 1.3?

I have tried both (one I bought claiming to be 1.4). From what I have read though there is no difference between 1.4 and 1.3 when it comes to cables. There is a difference between speed though... You cat get a Cat1 or a Cat2 (2 being high speed). High speed is advantageous when running long distances, 3D or 1080p. Other than that any HDMI cable will do... Test it yourself. Personally I have yet to see one of my 15 HDMI cables (ranging from 3-50ft) produce a different image.

The type of HDMI cable should have no bearing on the sharpness... the unit accepting the signal decides that fate.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I'm just writing what I have read and personally tested.
post #543 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Not at all. Once I changed the settings under the clarity control it fixed my issues outside of having to switch the video source mode on my receiver to keep it 1:1. When noise and detail enhnacement were cranked the image looked sharp and yet soft at the same time because the pixels looked like they were smeering into one another.

I think the unit looks just as sharp as the one I had in December and the screen shot of the fast and furious should prove that even though it is not of great quality. After switching from the BenQ to the Sony I definitely favor the BenQ in terms of sharpness over the HW30.

For those that are having issues, change the 3D modes back and forth and see if it hangs. If it does not, you probably do indeed have one of the newer units. I will be very curious to see what zombie's firmware says the revision is because even though mine was 1.00, it was definitely better than my first unit.

Yeah mine hangs for a very long time switching 3D modes. It's firmware 1.00.
post #544 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

having to switch the video source mode on my receiver to keep it 1:1.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I didn't know an A/V receiver could screw up the 1:1 pixel mapping so now it makes me wonder for my setup.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 with its HDMI 1 output going to an HDMI input in my projector Epson 6010 (HDMI 2 output of Oppo going into my A/V receiver for sound).

I have a Denon AVR-3808 which doesn't support HDMI 1.4 is why I bought the Oppo so I could do 3D to the projector. But when I watch my Dish HD DVR it's going through the Denon and I'm not happy with the picture quality, have been blaming it on Dish compressing everything but if my Denon could also be doing something to the video signal I'd like to know about it and how to correct it...
post #545 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I didn't know an A/V receiver could screw up the 1:1 pixel mapping so now it makes me wonder for my setup.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 with its HDMI 1 output going to an HDMI input in my projector Epson 6010 (HDMI 2 output of Oppo going into my A/V receiver for sound).

I have a Denon AVR-3808 which doesn't support HDMI 1.4 is why I bought the Oppo so I could do 3D to the projector. But when I watch my Dish HD DVR it's going through the Denon and I'm not happy with the picture quality, have been blaming it on Dish compressing everything but if my Denon could also be doing something to the video signal I'd like to know about it and how to correct it...

I can't really explain what it was doing, if I can get the unit back I will take a video and upload it.

My buddy wants me to go over to mount it tomorrow so I may be able to still get it. He has my old Onkyo NR1007 so it will be interesting to see what his unit does. When I had my receiver set to Through it would cause the image to look very "hazy" and appeared to have a type of overscan applied is the best way to describe it because the screen was not lining up properly. I also noticed the signal processor inside the projector going nuts if you took it off real and applied wide.

You could see it best by putting up a test pattern and the lines would become uneven by switching through the receiver. The 809 is known to have issues and it doesn't play 100% nice with my HW30 either (crushes blacks like crazy unless I use DIrect mode) which is a known issue apparently.

SOWK said no receiver in between his input chain so there may be some bad units floating around or another issue we aren't aware of yet with the updated firmware.
post #546 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I can't really explain what it was doing, if I can get the unit back I will take a video and upload it.

My buddy wants me to go over to mount it tomorrow so I may be able to still get it. He has my old Onkyo NR1007 so it will be interesting to see what his unit does. When I had my receiver set to Through it would cause the image to look very "hazy" and appeared to have a type of overscan applied is the best way to describe it. I also noticed the signal processor inside the projector going nuts if you took it off real and applied wide by switching the receiver through these two different modes.

You could see it best by putting up a test pattern and the lines would become uneven by switching through the receiver. The 809 is known to have issues and it doesn't play 100% nice with my HW30 either (crushes blacks like crazy unless I use DIrect mode) which is a known issue apparently.

So the options are Through and Direct? Through means it goes through some video processing circuitry which manipulates/can manipulate the image and Direct bypasses all of that?
post #547 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones View Post

I thought I would try something and see what happens. I plugged my component cable into my PS3 and the projector. Changed the settings to match the HDMi and low and behold my sharpness appeared!

I adjusted the detail to 4 and it looked great. Ran some 1080p and 720p material and it looked great. You could notice the difference in the menu.. the XMB icons were a lot clearer now.

I tried 3 different HDMI cables and they all produced the same picture as before.. soft almost blurred.

Maybe my HDMI inputs are faulty... there is no reason why the component cable should produce a sharper image is there?

Well it looks like the W7000 is doing the exact same thing the H9500BD does via the HDMI/DVI ports. I bet if you compare a PCs window screen via HDMI and then via a VGA input you will see a remarkable differens in pixel display quality. I had been examining this on the Acer ad-nauseum and gave up. We are waiting for Acer's response on a couple units but to be honest with you if BenQ is doing the same thing there must be some kind of picture smoothing going on and I am not sure they are going to be fixing that. Video looks great but there is some blurring for PC text and the like. Lucky for me I mostly watch movies and TV programs and the IQ is very good. Very interesting the BenQ is doing the same thing.
post #548 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

I think the unit looks just as sharp as the one I had in December and the screen shot of the fast and furious should prove that even though it is not of great quality.

thanks for the info, I'll post the firmware version tomorrow night and run through a few quick tests.

WynsWorld98 - thanks for the ZD201's, these are nice, comfortable glasses.
post #549 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Are you guys sure the HTPC sharpness issue is inherent to the projector?

I am not questioning anyone's findings, I am just a little confused that Benq would have this issue since I have never seen, nor heard of this issue on other Benqs. When I say not seen it, I mean it can be there until you fiddle with the settings of the HTPC and projector and get it matched up. I think on the Acer we are sure the problem is there, but I didn't know the Benq would do it.

It almost sounds like resolution or aspect ratio confusion, this is not an uncommon problem and not necessarily the projector. For instance, on some DLP's I have owned, setting the aspect to 16:9 (even though the video card is set to output 16:9) does not work. What happens is the projector misinterprets the signal as being smaller than it really is and it blows it up around 5% to 10% into a re-scale, or sometimes it can do it more severely or even be completely confused. For my Pro8200 DLP, I have to set it to 16:9 for a bluray player, but must change back to AUTO for the PC. Only in AUTO aspect mode does it not cause scaling and does it properly interpret the size of the display, and it doesn't matter what I have overscan set to, it will do it regardless.

I would play around in the HTPC video control panel's scaling settings for the video card itself, as well as the projector's aspect ratio options and see if any combination produces any results that are better. It may take several different combos to find one that works. Then I'd try different PC's and remove any receivers or HDMI switches from the equation.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #550 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I would play around in the HTPC video control panel's scaling settings for the video card itself, as well as the projector's aspect ratio options and see if any combination produces any results that are better. It may take several different combos to find one that works. Then I'd try different PC's and remove any receivers or HDMI switches from the equation.

We have been there done that in the other thread. The dead giveaway is when game consoles do the same thing.
post #551 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Are you guys sure the HTPC sharpness issue is inherent to the projector?

I am not questioning anyone's findings, I am just a little confused that Benq would have this issue since I have never seen, nor heard of this issue on other Benqs. When I say not seen it, I mean it can be there until you fiddle with the settings of the HTPC and projector and get it matched up. I think on the Acer we are sure the problem is there, but I didn't know the Benq would do it.

It almost sounds like resolution or aspect ratio confusion, this is not an uncommon problem and not necessarily the projector. For instance, on some DLP's I have owned, setting the aspect to 16:9 (even though the video card is set to output 16:9) does not work. What happens is the projector misinterprets the signal as being smaller than it really is and it blows it up around 5% to 10% into a re-scale, or sometimes it can do it more severely or even be completely confused. For my Pro8200 DLP, I have to set it to 16:9 for a bluray player, but must change back to AUTO for the PC. Only in AUTO aspect mode does it not cause scaling and does it properly interpret the size of the display, and it doesn't matter what I have overscan set to, it will do it regardless.

I can speak from experience when I say it's not the HTPC I'm having trouble with. I owned the W5000 two days before I bought the W7000... I shipped to the person who bought it and two days later I picked up my W7000.

I had to tweak my HTPC to work well with my W5000... only a little though.

The problem I am having is with my PS3 and the projector. It looks soft and blurry using HDMI. After playing with it and trying Component I managed to make it look a whole lot better, but still not the clarity of my W5000.

I can remember the day I got my W5000 and plugged it in for the first time. I had just sold my NEC HT1000 and brought home the W5000. I plugged it in, hooked up my XBOX and was floored by the picture quality. Later getting my PS3 making things even better. After I played with it and adjusted some of the colors and other image settings I was thrilled. Never did I have an issue like this.

I was expecting to install the W7000 where my old one was mounted, hook up the cables and turn on my equipment and be blown away or at least see the same quality but brighter... I can't tell you how poor the image is compared to my W5000. Yes it's brighter and yes the colors are more vibrant, but not even close to the same sharpness.

I'm going to try hooking my HTPC via RGB tomorrow and see what that looks like. Also going to call BenQ first thing in the morning.
post #552 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's good as they may have an idea but maybe it is a bad unit. I have seen one PC not work with only 1 projector out of 4 once, and do this same thing, whereas the other PC worked with all 4 out of 4, and another PC worked on 2 out of 4. I have like 6 HTPC's at my house, because in my job I always get free PC's as they are pulled from data centers. I need to get rid of some of them, just more trouble than it is worth.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #553 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone wants to know, I simply unplugged the HDMI from my PC to the Acer and tried it on my Epson. No more Windows text blurring. Maybe BenQ will be quicker to explain this than Acer.

It just seems that the W7000 may be doing the same thing my Acer does and if so I am curious if this is a DLP 3D processing thing that is new since the W6 series did not blur and niether did the Acer 7531.
post #554 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would wait until more people report in before trying to determine that it's a system wide issue. None of the original owners from the v1 batch mentioned this as a problem.

We have 2 with an issue and 1 who said it's as sharp as the v1 from December. I'll have one tomorrow night and others are probably receiving theirs as well this week.
post #555 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So I guess today's theme is don't count other peoples' chickens before they hatch and pass inspection.

post #556 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If the W7000 is fed a 24fps signal, does it display as a true multiple of 24hz or does it convert it to a 60hz 3:2 signal?
post #557 of 3824 Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM

I have been experiencing the same issue as Cru-Jones where my W7000 (first batch in December; firmware 1.00) is not nearly as sharp (soft and blurry) as my W6000 was in the exact same setup via HDMI. It is quite noticeable on my XBOX360, PS3, and HTPC. I have been surprised to see no one else has reported this and thought it may just have been my unit. I have been waiting for the hardware/firmware update and hoped it could be addressed then. I'd appreciate to hear what Cru-Jones finds out.
post #558 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Perhaps Dec make, 1.00 firmware has the blur problem, while the new 1.00-3 firmware does not?
post #559 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
post #560 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Probly need reports of the exact wording and format of the firmware revision numbers. In the past 2 pages of this forum I've seen 4 differnt versions.
1.0 Revision 001.
Rev / 00.100
1.00-3
#00-100

Also the reports of the maximum zoom introducing pinching of the corners is worrysome.
post #561 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The W7000 arrived today, it has a January 2012 production date. i'll post some info later tonight.
post #562 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

The W7000 arrived today, it has a January 2012 production date. i'll post some info later tonight.

Look forward to it. I just picked up my True Depth glasses and I'm about to call BenQ.
post #563 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:

Cool! Looking forward to it.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #564 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Ok... I just got off the phone with BenQ and I found out some interesting info. He confirmed there is a new firmware for Jan 2012 and he listed the following problems corrected.

Abnormal Picture (what I was seeing)
Abnormal Phenomenon when ceiling mounted

He could not elaborate on the ceiling mount problem.

I did ask about the slow 3D switching and he said it didn't say anything in his notes.

I asked him if any of the hardware changed and he said "no just the firmware".

Long story short they are sending me a new one with a return label attached.

Hopefully they have fixed my problems
post #565 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Crue-Jones, hi can you let me know the build date and firmware of your current model? I have one that arrived from AVS today but hasn't had a chance to take it out of the box yet.

thanks!
post #566 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Crue-Jones, hi can you let me know the build date and firmware of your current model? I have one that arrived from AVS today but hasn't had a chance to take it out of the box yet.

thanks!

Mine is December 2011 Rev #00.100
post #567 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones View Post

Mine is December 2011 Rev #00.100

this one here is Jan 2012 with Rev # 00.101. I believe SOWK said his was also from January.
post #568 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

this one here is Jan 2012 with Rev # 00.101. I believe SOWK said his was also from January.

Might explain my situation, my buddy's was built in Dec, Rev 001.
This might also explain why the black levels don't look all that improved but I will bet the farm that the 3D switching bug is fixed on this unit
post #569 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Zombie, that's the same I have now with the mapping problem...

#00.101
post #570 of 3824 Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Zombie, that's the same I have now with the mapping problem...

#00.101

i'll let you guys know tonight if I have the same issue. I'd like to know what version Art has.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page