Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You just said that the blacks are the same as the HW30??? Really! In 2D? How about rbe?

Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

You just said that the blacks are the same as the HW30??? Really! In 2D? How about rbe?

Walter - Hi, I was specifically referring to black levels in 3D mode. I haven't watched much 2D, but I will later.

I am very RBE sensitive and don't see it in 2D or 3D yet, so the 6x is good for my eyes.
post #33 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Zombie can you try the 2D to 3D conversion and give us an idea if its worthwhile or not?

Also, what are the black levels like in 3D mode. This would be an exclusive 3D projector for me. My 120" HP screen is just waiting for a 1080p 3D projector.

Are the glasses rechargeable?

Thanks

I didn't know it had a 2D to 3D built in. I'll look through the menus to see if I can find it.

Black levels look good to me in 3D, very similar to my Sony HW30 which imo, is very good in 3D.

The glasses take 2 coin batteries. These are the first DLP link glasses i've used and I really like them. I find the tint is very neutral, possibly better than any of my other glasses including the MV3D's.

this is what you have been waiting for:

Original:

JVC RS55:

BenQ W7000 - No, this is not a 2D shot, this is a photo through the glasses. Go ahead and press your nose to the screen, your not going to find what your looking for. Notice how nice the color stays through the glasses.

post #34 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Why can't the W7000 fill your 140" screen? Is the throw the problem whereby you can't get projector far enough from screen? I know you said you're going to 120" HP screen so am curious if throw is current issue.

Not enough throw distance for my 140"

I can confirm black levels in 3D look above acceptable and aren't washed out. The more I watch this thing in 3D the more I love it, especially with FI. I totally forgot how much I missed it on my HW30.
post #35 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

How about the cooling noise, compare that to the RS45. The RS45 is dead silent.

Walter
post #36 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

zombie, you mentioned the HW30 with FI in 3D the image is rock solid and no flicker. Is the W7000 even better ?
How's the fan noise ? Is it loud ? I know it's rated at 33/28 dB.
post #37 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aims View Post

Mine is unpacked and setup on my table. Kinda nervous to fire it up. My trusty Sanyo Z-5 almost let out a wimper when I moved it to the corner. Will post reaction later tonight.

Ok. The verdict? Freaking Love It!!!!!!!!

Quick background. My standards are probably lower than most. Coming from a Sanyo Z5 and current bulb has 1,000 hours on it. I have a 112" Carada BW screen. Bat cave media room. My wants are: (i) sharp picture, (ii) pop and great colors, and (iii) quiet.

All I did was change the color mode from Standard to Warm. Everything else is default such as: Default iris. BC on. 50s on all picture settings. Sharpness at 0. Face color at 3. Frame Interpolation is off by default. All I can think of for now.

Razor, and I mean freaking life like razor, sharp. Very bright in both lamp modes. Colors are awesome. This is with zero tinkering from default status.

Best of all, I would say the fan noise in Eco mode is on par with the Auto 1 mode I used on the Sanyo Z-5 (22-24 db - ish). Very quiet. The Normal mode is a bit louder but it's a dull fan noise and totally acceptable (26-28 db-ish). I plan on using the Normal mode if that tells you anything and I am a noise freak.

I brought the family in the media room and they were all blown away. We watched HDTV (X Factor and NFL - note we have FIOS and it's fairly high HD quality) and a Bluray for about 45 minutes. We did about 5 minutes of no audio to see if the unit noise bothered anyone. We are all within 2-4 feet of it. All approved. No whine or any sound that is distracting. To me it's the same fan noise the Z5 creates, just a true fan noise. I did not hear it at all with audio. I never heard the iris once. Not sure if I got a good unit or if all of them are like this. I have it table mounted and was sitting 2 feet behind it. I walked around it and listened from the front as I will be mounting this to the ceiling and it will be behind us. It intakes from the right side and exhausts from the left front. Same sound level up front in my opinion.

I'm totally thrilled and keeping it. As I stated, we are a HDTV mostly family and movies like 25% of the time. Probably not the best projector judge given our wants: (i) sharp, (ii) bright, and (iii) quiet. 3D is just a bonus.

The lens shift is great. My quick summary is with the unit around 13.5 feet from the screen and near the edge of the lens shift. I plan on mounting it around 15 feet. Middle of zoom.

Regarding the blacks. I would call them "good". I would put them in the middle of the Epson 8350 and 8700. I've tried both in the last two months. Coming from an old Sanyo Z5 I think the Benq's blacks are great, but having seen a 8700 in my media room I can say that they are not on that level. However, the Epson units are no where near as sharp. Not even close.

No 3D videos at the moment. That is a bonus for us.
post #38 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Liked: 20
Guys. He has a 142 inch wide 1.78 aspect screen. For discussion purposes, that's 80 sq feet of screen. Let's assume that most people have around a 8 or 9 ft wide 1.78 screen. For dscussion purposes about 1/2 the sq footage of Zombie's. Noe then let's assume the average gain of a non HP screen is roughly 1.3. The image on such a screen viewed from center seating position, would be just a little less bright than Zombie's 2.8 screen and probably if placed side by side, the screens would look to one's eyes pretty much the same brightness. Remember a screen gain difference of .1, results in about a 3% brightness difference to ones eyes, so here we are talking about a 6% difference to ones eyes. So I think thankfully for his large screen size, the results should be comparable to those with non HP screens of traditional or common HT sizes.
post #39 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Mark H I think its awesome that your going over to Zombies to do the shoot out. Take it easy and relax. Dont get your heart rate up too much. I cant wait to hear the report.

Im pretty easy to please. Just tell me a yes or no if this is the 3d pj that I need to buy???? Zombie you hearin me?
post #40 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Mark H I think its awesome that your going over to Zombies to do the shoot out. Take it easy and relax. Dont get your heart rate up too much. I cant wait to hear the report.

Im pretty easy to please. Just tell me a yes or no if this is the 3d pj that I need to buy???? Zombie you hearin me?

I'm not zombie but if you want the best 3D diverse projector under $3k I am going out on a limb and say it is at the moment for me. I have seen crosstalk only once off ESPN3D (DirecTV) and it was very minor and probably my crappy 3D glasses. Gaming response time feels excellent and this unit can hold its own overall with 2D as well. Things may change after I spend more time with the unit but I've owned a lot of the same roundup of projectors as zombie this year and I am just floored how good the BenQ looks. To be fair I have not opened the RS45 yet and the Acer 9500BD is apparently very good in 3D as well.

Once my son goes to bed I can check on anything people may have questions about. For those wondering about noise in ECO mode the unit is very quiet, but once you put it into 3D mode or high lamp the fan in mine does ramp up and you can hear it if close to the unit. From my seating position with speakers on you cannot hear it.
post #41 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM

I was born ready for this. I have a few good years left in me as members who have met me know. Hell I can pass for 55.

And thanks Kutlow. I will bring a seatbelt to strap myself into one of Zombie's chairs. I don't want to fall out of the chair and hurt myself.
post #42 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks for the photos showing ghosting on the JVC and no ghosting on the W7000. Pretty obvious difference. You've really got me interested in this projector with your comments about the black level etc. Art's W7000 was pre-production so maybe Beng has made some changes. The shootout will be a big seller on this forum -- I'm looking forward to it! Now we'll find out how the RS-45 stacks up in 3D to DLP.
post #43 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

For whomever asked about the dynamic iris in 3D, there is an option called Dynamic Black (assuming this is the iris setting) you can enable or disable it in 3D just fine. There are only a handful of settings that disappear once in 3D mode which is nice to help calibrate the picture for optimal performance. From memory Black Level and 3D Comb Filtering are disabled and everything else stays under the picture settings.

I wish I had a HP screen in my main theater and did not need an AT screen, a little brighter picture would make this thing A+. I can't wait to move it to my secondary room once I get my DaLite.
post #44 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Unlike Zombie, the W7000 is too DIM for me in 3D (Avatar), on my 159" 16:9 2.8 HP, shelf mounted, in my true bat cave.

Also, the BenQ glasses are too heavy - it was like putting a 5# brick on my nose for two hours.

With a throw of 18' 3/4", the max 16:9 image size is about 152" - doesn't fill my 159" screen.

Note that this is the first, and only 3D projector that I've seen to date. If this projector is as bright as 3D gets (shelf mounted on an HP no less!) - I'll have to pass on 3D. Which will really suck, because I love the 3D effect.

Up next for tomorrow is an X30. It's here - still in the box. I'll set it up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it will be brighter in 3D than the W7000, but based on the JVC posts that I've read on the forum - it will be dimmer.

Let there be light.
post #45 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

How about the cooling noise, compare that to the RS45. The RS45 is dead silent.

We'll have the 7000 and 45 next to each to other to try and be objective in comparing. It doesn't bother me personally, it's a low, dull fan noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

zombie, you mentioned the HW30 with FI in 3D the image is rock solid and no flicker. Is the W7000 even better ?
How's the fan noise ? Is it loud ? I know it's rated at 33/28 dB.

first impression is that the W7000 is even better than the HW30, but imo, the HW30 is very nice in 3D with the FI and would like to have seen JVC try this with the new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

do you still have the RS45? if so, the W7000 is a good complement for those who are dead set on ghost-free 1080P 3D. I'd like to see the Acer 9500, but the lens shift isn't really an option with the HP.

@ jmalto - good to hear you like it as well. You should probably keep RS45 boxed unless you want to keep it, you know the black levels on the JVC are great and you're going to end up with 2 projectors. Comon, it's Christmas, treat yourself to the best of 2D and 3D.
post #46 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Once my son goes to bed I can check on anything people may have questions about.

Dynamic Iris settings available in 3D? What's your subjective opinion of the blacks in a very dark scene (e.g., opening of Star Wars with black background, stars and credits) or similar dark scenes in Fifth Element?

How comfortable are the glasses? Any complaints?

Have you played with the Frame Interpolation at all? I personally like FI although I know many hate it, I like the hyper realism sometimes but even those who dislike it do like it for animation and sports.

So when watching 3D you literally have no control over picture at all re: contrast, brightness, etc.?
post #47 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

Unlike Zombie, the W7000 is too DIM for me in 3D (Avatar), on my 159" 16:9 2.8 HP, shelf mounted, in my true bat cave.

Also, the BenQ glasses are too heavy - it was like putting a 5# brick on my nose for two hours.

With a throw of 18' 3/4", the max 16:9 image size is about 152" - doesn't fill my 159" screen.

Note that this is the first, and only 3D projector that I've seen to date. If this projector is as bright as 3D gets (shelf mounted on an HP no less!) - I'll have to pass on 3D. Which will really suck, because I love the 3D effect.

Up next for tomorrow is an X30. It's here - still in the box. I'll set it up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it will be brighter in 3D than the W7000, but based on the JVC posts that I've read on the forum - it will be dimmer.

Let there be light.

How does the brightness look in 2D? I am ~17 feet from the 142" and the brightness looks great to me, a bit brighter than the HW30 and the Acer 5360 through the glasses.

I am curious to hear what you think about the X30 brightness in comparison. I am going to take some lumen measurements in 2D and 3D this weekend on both the 45 and W7000.
post #48 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

How does the brightness look in 2D? I am ~17 feet from the 142" and the brightness looks great to me, a bit brighter than the HW30 and the Acer 5360 through the glasses.

I am curious to hear what you think about the X30 brightness in comparison. I am going to take some lumen measurements in 2D and 3D this weekend on both the 45 and W7000.

When you guys are talking about 142" and 159" are you talking diagonal? I think Mark from AVS said something about the 142" being width, not diagonal.
post #49 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aims View Post

However, the Epson units are no where near as sharp. Not even close.

I have known this for a while now. As for not having 3d content, I would not worry about that because you will be wowed when you try some.

What I really wanted to say was the thought of Zombie and Mark spending Christmas together makes me feel warm inside. My old lady would probably tell me to take all of my things and not come back. I for one appreciate the effort you guys are about to put into this on Christmas. I want to call and check the price on the holiday sale but I still have not figured out the shift thing as I will need to utilize both vertical and horizontal. So I would just be calling and talking out my rear end.

If one of you guys would be willing to check the shift for me that might seal the deal for me. My current setup is centered on the upper right hand corner of my screen shifting the image left and down. 120" screen with the lens 8" from the right side of the screen and about 20" below the top of the screen.

I realize you guys have a lot to do with what you want to test let alone enjoying the purchase but any help appreciated because dual shift is hard to calculate. Well actually it has proven impossible for me to calculate with any certainty given the lack of figures so I would be guessing. I can probaly sell this unit to momma given a direct replacement of the current unit requiring no surgery or mount.

Again, thanks for any and all help, and Happy Holidays to all. BTW, wash machine pooped the bed today but I think I can fix it. Hope so because the fridge that pooped out several months ago has really cut into my new projector fund. What a year.
post #50 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Elkhunter. The presently lit portion of your screen is a little smaller than Zombie's. Remember all 3D delivery systems eat up at least 80 percent of the light delivered in 2D. That's why all 3D modes are goosed up by running high temperature colors, wide open irises etc. There are 3D projectors out there which can light your screen up in 3D with correct colors and make you pleased with blinding light. But you need to start multiplying cost way way above the price class we are talking here.
post #51 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

My main concerns are RBE, try all the known ways of making it rear it's ugly head and how does the black compare to the HW30 and the RS45. The preliminary reviews sound promising for these two points.

Yes all your reporting / testing is very much appreciated W7000 owners, thanks.

Walter
post #52 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Zombie and everyone else posting impressions/info, THANK YOU! This projector sounds like what a lot of us have been waiting for as far as ghost free 3d and true lens shift for the HP users. The thought of ghost free Monst vs Aliens, games, etc......sounds SO awesome! VERY tempted to go grab my cc and give Mark a call.........must get through Christmas....................A couple of questions........

1. Manual iris? If so, available in 3d?

2. Can you switch between low and high lamp for 3d?

3. Is there masking in the 7000 and if so what kind of range does it have?

4. Lens shift responsive and easy to use?

5. Is the lens stable/solid?

Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #53 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dynamic Iris settings available in 3D? What's your subjective opinion of the blacks in a very dark scene (e.g., opening of Star Wars with black background, stars and credits) or similar dark scenes in Fifth Element?

How comfortable are the glasses? Any complaints?

Have you played with the Frame Interpolation at all? I personally like FI although I know many hate it, I like the hyper realism sometimes but even those who dislike it do like it for animation and sports.

So when watching 3D you literally have no control over picture at all re: contrast, brightness, etc.?

Already answered these through various posts . You can adjust almost any of the picture settings.

I also commented on the FI and I've had many projectors with this feature since the early Epsons and the benq does it well in 3D and fairly well in 2D (some noticeable judder on low.)

2D brightness is fine on my screen, 3D is a tad dim unfortunately without trying to tweak around it on a 1.2 gain screen. It is still very watchable and looks fantastic on animation flicks. I don't have benq glasses but the optoma/viewsonic.
post #54 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Didn't the W7000 come with a pair of BenQ glasses?
post #55 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

What's your subjective opinion of the blacks in a very dark scene (e.g., opening of Star Wars with black background, stars and credits) or similar dark scenes in Fifth Element? Do the blacks look black? Or dark grey? Toe has some very good questions above.
post #56 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnapp View Post

Didn't the W7000 come with a pair of BenQ glasses?

I bought mine from projector people and there were NO includes glasses. If others are getting them I got ripped off
post #57 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you guys are talking about 142" and 159" are you talking diagonal? I think Mark from AVS said something about the 142" being width, not diagonal.

Diagonal. What are you looking for in your next projector? I was guessing from your previous questions that you like great black levels. The W7000 so far reminds of the W6000 I have at work, no better or worse. it's bright in 2D, lots of pop in mixed scenes, colors are great, 3D is top shelf.

if you are looking for a better balance between 2D and 3D, I still am a big fan of the Sony HW30. The FI in 3D is close to the W7000 and the ghosting is near minimum with the Monster Vision 3D glasses. 2D on that projector is great imo, a good overall balance between 2D and 3D. Plus the lamps are dirt cheap, so I use it like a TV.
post #58 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Zombie and everyone else posting impressions/info, THANK YOU! This projector sounds like what a lot of us have been waiting for as far as ghost free 3d and true lens shift for the HP users. The thought of ghost free Monst vs Aliens, games, etc......sounds SO awesome! VERY tempted to go grab my cc and give Mark a call.........must get through Christmas....................A couple of questions........

1. Manual iris? If so, available in 3d? - Dynamic Black is available in 3D, I am assuming this triggers the Iris as you can notice a difference in black levels

2. Can you switch between low and high lamp for 3d? - Yes

3. Is there masking in the 7000 and if so what kind of range does it have? - Not sure as I don't use it and didn't look. The projector does support a lot of various aspect formats.

4. Lens shift responsive and easy to use? - Yes, from what I used.

5. Is the lens stable/solid? - Yes, and the entire unit feels solid overall for a DLP

Black levels may be a tad ahead of the Epson 3010 but not much more in 2D. The HW30 has better blacks IMO if that helps. In 3D I'd say the 7000 does well and it is not as noticeable. If someone is looking for inky blacks in 2D and 3D, this is probably not the right unit from what I've experienced thus far. Keep in mind this is uncalibrated short of changing the color temp so things may change down the line once people have more time to tweak.
post #59 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What's your subjective opinion of the blacks in a very dark scene (e.g., opening of Star Wars with black background, stars and credits) or similar dark scenes in Fifth Element? Do the blacks look black? Or dark grey? Toe has some very good questions above.

In the other post I only had 30 minutes with the 7000 and noted what I am seeing favors a more black/grey hue than pure or dark black while in 2D.
post #60 of 3794 Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Zombie,

Where did you get the BenQ 3d glasses?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page