Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3811 Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is something else that needs to be tested. I see a serious delay in video with FI on high. The audio is way ahead of the video. When FI is off its fine and in sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3811 Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think it has been mentioned that FI causes a 200ms delay in the video. Most people start to notice sync problems at 50ms so 200ms is quite a bit.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #633 of 3811 Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Here is something else that needs to be tested. I see a serious delay in video with FI on high. The audio is way ahead of the video. When FI is off its fine and in sync.

Pretty common with any projector that I've tested thus far.
post #634 of 3811 Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yeah FI can always introduce a significant delay due to its nature, the less delay the less data there are to analyze and hence potential worse quality. Most mid- to high- end A/V receivers/preamps have a audio delay option that can help compensate for this issue.

The 2D blurriness over HDMI is weird, though and needs to be looked at.
post #635 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have owned the w6000 for about 2 years. I also own a Marantz sr8001 which is not 3d capable. I am deciding between two scenarios:

1. sell the w6000 ($900) and the SR8001 ($350) and spend an extra $1600 + $1200 for the w7000 and the AV7005

2. Wait a year or so for the bugs to be sorted out and the price to drop (may be by $500)

Any ideas? I really like 3d but I only own a few movies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #636 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Waiting on zombie's review before I give up and pull the trigger on a w6000...
post #637 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

I have owned the w6000 for about 2 years. I also own a Marantz sr8001 which is not 3d capable. I am deciding between two scenarios:

1. sell the w6000 ($900) and the SR8001 ($350) and spend an extra $1600 + $1200 for the w7000 and the AV7005

2. Wait a year or so for the bugs to be sorted out and the price to drop (may be by $500)

Any ideas? I really like 3d but I only own a few movies.

If you really want 3D and are set on the Benq model then I suggest waiting. If you are not set on the Benq then there are other viable options out there. Benq has really let the ball drop with the issues they have had this early in the W7000 lifecycle. At this point I think once they fix the issues they should change model number to indicate the new units can be purchased with confidence.

post #638 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

They are pushing consumers into buying 70-84" flat panels instead.
Notice DLP rear projectors were the first easy-to-kill.

I seriously doubt this is some large scale push to phase out projectors. I don't think Benq, Panasonic, Epson, Sony, JVC, etc conspired to kill the projector market by having flaws in their units. Benq engineering didn't know how to handle upgrading the W6000 model line with 3D. Epson and Panasonic units had a significant redesign internally and externally. JVC is still using the 120Hz LCOS panels. Sony added a pulsating technology to its lamp for their units which no one knows how it will affect long term bulb life.

The point is that projector technology has never been perfect and the current state of flat panel technology is not perfect either. Those large flat panels still don't come in the sizes to satisfy most big screen projector enthusiasts and even if they did start to become available at sizes of 100" and up it still is not just a plug and play alternative. Flat panels at that size have to be properly mounted and secured. In the long run it still much easier to mount a relatively light projector screen and a 10 to 20lb projector over an extremely large 100lb+ flat panel. Also it is much easier for manufacturers and dealers to distribute projectors than mega flat panels. I view those 70" to 80" flat panels as a small niche in the market. The screen is getting small enough that installing a projector is overkill and the manufacturing process allows screens to be made that size now. That size range has kind of been a no mans land other than Mitsubishi's DLP units that fit in that market segment.

post #639 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Wow!!! I just got home and sitting inside my door was my new W7000 from BenQ in California. They shipped overnight to Vancouver Canada. I'm just about to get them swapped and I will post about the changes I see... Fingers crossed.
post #640 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones View Post

Wow!!! I just got home and sitting inside my door was my new W7000 from BenQ in California. They shipped overnight to Vancouver Canada. I'm just about to get them swapped and I will post about the changes I see... Fingers crossed.

Please keep me updated.

post #641 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Please keep me updated.

Well I am very happy to report that I am one Very Very Very happy camper. All of my issues have been fixed!!!! Projector is now super sharp... just like my W5000.

The 3D switching takes a few seconds.

My HTPC running DVI to HDMI looks great!!! I will still test the RGB (have the cable in my hands).

This unit is night and day different than the one I originally received.

It's says December 2011 production, Rev 00.100 and the firmware reads 1.00. This is the exact same as my problem unit... very odd. I can tell you that the 3D switching alone tells me they did something.

I can stand by my comments earlier when I said I have always had great support from BenQ... sent me a new one over night from the US to Canada!

Tested the 3D and it looks just as sharp with no ghosting and no red tint using my True Depth glasses.

Ahhhhh it's so nice to see that sharp picture again
post #642 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I am very happy to report that I am one Very Very Very happy camper. All of my issues have been fixed!!!! Projector is now super sharp... just like my W5000.

My HTPC running DVI to HDMI looks great!!! I will still test the RGB (have the cable in my hands).

It's says December 2011 production, Rev 00.100 and the firmware reads 1.00. This is the exact same as my problem unit... very odd. I can tell you that the 3D switching alone tells me they did something.

I can stand by my comments earlier when I said I have always had great support from BenQ... sent me a new one over night from the US to Canada!

Tested the 3D and it looks just as sharp with no ghosting and no red tint using my True Depth glasses.

Bingo - same model, rev, and firmware as my friend's unit. Sounds like the newer ones built in 2012 might have some issues with sharpness that need to be addressed. Makes absolutely no sense why the ones with 1.00 firmware have 3D switching that works but I guess we should apply the "don't ask, don't tell" model here
post #643 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

How is the sharpness when viewing a 2d source through hdmi?
post #644 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Bingo, same model, rev, and firmware as my friend's unit. Sounds like the newer ones built in 2012 might have some issues with sharpness that need to be addressed.

I'm wondering if the previous switching issues was an HDMI problem and the newer ones have some type of new hdmi component that is causing the problem. Just a thought..
post #645 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

How is the sharpness when viewing a 2d source through hdmi?

That's what I was saying... It's back to normal... Looks great. I had the issue of poor sharpness with 2D using HDMI. Now I don't
post #646 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM

The only thing I am having a problem with right now is when viewing video playback from my HTPC. The screen is flickering every few seconds. This does not happen when video isn't playing and it doesn't happen when watching video on my PS3. This also happened on the old unit, but I didn't try anything to fix it because I knew I had a new one coming.

I can hear the IRIS moving when it happens... Maybe something I can adjust there.

Probably a problem with my video card or the HDMI splitter I am using to split the signal between my TV (non 3D) and the projector.

I have an HDMI matrix switch (3D compliant) coming in the mail so that may fix this problem.
post #647 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Ok now I can tell you RGB looks awesome!!! Stunning image and no flicker. Must be my splitter.

I will still use the HDMI because I eventually want 3D to work using my HTPC. Can't select that mode while using RGB.

Looks like I need a new video card
post #648 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

Bingo - same model, rev, and firmware as my friend's unit. Sounds like the newer ones built in 2012 might have some issues with sharpness that need to be addressed. Makes absolutely no sense why the ones with 1.00 firmware have 3D switching that works but I guess we should apply the "don't ask, don't tell" model here

hmmm.. so the January 2012 model SOWK and I have seem to have the sharpness issue with 2D HDMI input. I'm not sure what's different about the one that your friend has or cru-jones replacement since my firmware looks to be the same version.

@Cru-jones - the Nvidia GT430 works perfect with 3D, I've used it on all the projectors in the mini-shootout without issue. It's cheap and has low heat output.

post #649 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok now I can tell you RGB looks awesome!!! Stunning image and no flicker. Must be my splitter.

I will still use the HDMI because I eventually want 3D to work using my HTPC. Can't select that mode while using RGB.

sorry to keep asking this info, it's getting lost with so many posts.

Do you still have the original W7000? what is the build date and firmware compared to the one you just received?

I'm trying to get a sense of what's going on here and which models have the 2D sharpness issue.

post #650 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

hmmm.. so the January 2012 model SOWK and I have seem to have the sharpness issue with 2D HDMI input. I'm not sure what's different about the one that your friend has or cru-jones replacement since my firmware looks to be the same version.

@Cru-jones - the Nvidia GT430 works perfect with 3D, I've used it on all the projectors in the mini-shootout without issue. It's cheap and has low heat output.

Cru's new one has 1.00 which is what my friend's has. Yours is 1.02 isn't it? Cru's original was also 1.02 unless I am mistaken which is the same as SOWK's.
post #651 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cru's new one has 1.00 which is what my friend's has. Yours is 1.02 isn't it? Cru's original was also 1.02 unless I am mistaken which is the same as SOWK's.

mine is only 1.00 but was a January build... now i'm a little confused what's going on here.

If all current owners can report in, I'll update the first page with info so we have some tracking for BenQ support.

post #652 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:

mine is only 1.00 but was a January build... now i'm a little confused what's going on here.

If all current owners can report in, I'll update the first page with info so we have some tracking for BenQ support.

My original was the exact same as I have now. It says December 2011, REV 00.100 and the firmware in the menu says 1.00. That's why I think it's strange. Maybe I had s defective unit? Maybe not because the 3D switching (ON, AUTO, OFF) was fixed in my new unit... this tells me there was a software update. It only takes seconds to switch now.

OLD : Dec 2011, REV 00.100, firmware 1.00

- slow 3D switching (40 sec)
- poor sharpness with HDMI (PS3 & HTPC)
- better sharpness while watching 3D

NEW : Dec 2011, REV 00.100, firmware 1.00

- fast 3D switching (5 sec)
- very sharp with HDMI (PS3 & HTPC)
- same sharpness while watching 3D
- RGB very sharp also

Hope that helps
post #653 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Mine only shows 1.00 with jan build.

post #654 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
ETK

I found some new options in the menu when you turn on the ISF mode.
Display mode: ISF-night / ISF-day
bulb color option : ISF2 ( besides original / normal / warm/cold )
Gama : BenQ ... ( just set gama below 1.6 ,you'll find this BenQ mode )

Hoping that someone can share the measurement result for these modes latter.
post #655 of 3811 Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:

FYI for my unit:

Dec 2011, REV 00.100, firmware 1.00

- slow 3D switching
- poor sharpness with HDMI (PS3, XBOX 360, & HTPC)

I am working with my dealer to get my unit repaired/replaced.
post #656 of 3811 Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 AM
ol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post

I found some new options in the menu when you turn on the ISF mode.
Display mode: ISF-night / ISF-day
bulb color option : ISF2 ( besides original / normal / warm/cold )
Gama : BenQ ... ( just set gama below 1.6 ,you'll find this BenQ mode )

Hoping that someone can share the measurement result for these modes latter.

Can you tell me how to turn on ISF mode please?
post #657 of 3811 Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Sounds like some of the projectors are revised beyond what their revisioning methods show in the firmware or otherwise.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #658 of 3811 Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
ETK

you can google "BenQ ISF password" , and find the password is "131342"
post #659 of 3811 Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
ol2

Quote:

My original was the exact same as I have now. It says December 2011, REV 00.100 and the firmware in the menu says 1.00. That's why I think it's strange. Maybe I had s defective unit? Maybe not because the 3D switching (ON, AUTO, OFF) was fixed in my new unit... this tells me there was a software update. It only takes seconds to switch now.

OLD : Dec 2011, REV 00.100, firmware 1.00

- slow 3D switching (40 sec)
- poor sharpness with HDMI (PS3 & HTPC)
- better sharpness while watching 3D

NEW : Dec 2011, REV 00.100, firmware 1.00

- fast 3D switching (5 sec)
- very sharp with HDMI (PS3 & HTPC)
- same sharpness while watching 3D
- RGB very sharp also

Hope that helps

It feels like Benq are trying to cover-up all these issues by not changing the version numbers for each fix. Certainly makes it impossible to ask the dealer for a specific version.
post #660 of 3811 Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol2 View Post

It feels like Benq are trying to cover-up all these issues by not changing the version numbers for each fix. Certainly makes it impossible to ask the dealer for a specific version.

More likely it is just sloppiness. That sort of thing happens all the time in practically every industry and it is almost always the result of the manufacturer not caring if end users can actually use the versioning information. It is damn annoying and extremely customer-hostile but its rarely a deliberate plan.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page