post #721 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

OK. Here is the official news from BenQ. They have pulled back the 1.0-04 software to fine tune it some more. It should be released by the end of the month but there is no promise to do so by then. They are testing the HDMI softness problem but have not been able to duplicate it in California. Their overseas engineers are also testing for the problem and are expected to report back to BenQ USA on Monday. If you order one now you will get the old software. I would wait until the new software is released before ordering one. I wil not respond to any posts saying all this can't be. We got it in writing from BenQ USA today.

Mark,
for those of us who bought from AVS and already got the exchange PJ's can you fill us in when you get the info on what changes the new FW will be? I am already happy with the PJ in 2D mode and can tolerate the 3D mode (I do see the PJ getting a bit dimmer when switching to 3D even without the glasses on). If the new FW can push out the lumens while in 3D mode then I will be a very happy camper.

Paul Seng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 View Post

Why pay more and why pay 10 times the price?

Because some people can and will. To some the name of the product makes the inflated price worth it. If you are in sales this is a very good thing.
post #723 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Seng View Post

Mark,
for those of us who bought from AVS and already got the exchange PJ's can you fill us in when you get the info on what changes the new FW will be? I am already happy with the PJ in 2D mode and can tolerate the 3D mode (I do see the PJ getting a bit dimmer when switching to 3D even without the glasses on). If the new FW can push out the lumens while in 3D mode then I will be a very happy camper.

No I can't. Everything I know I posted based on an email we received from BenQ. What software version is in your unit? I am just curious, it won't help me answer.
post #724 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

No I can't. Everything I know I posted based on an email we received from BenQ. What software version is in your unit? I am just curious, it won't help me answer.

my FW says 1.00 (same as before the exchange). The build date is Jan 2012. The biggest change I see is that I don't have to do a complete reset of the PJ every other time I turn it on (before the screen would split with what should be on the right will show on the left and vice versa). I understand that you don't have the answers that some of us are looking for. I was just hoping that if the new FW does come out that it would be a bit more detailed in what is being fixed so that I can decide whether or not to send it in.

Paul Seng
post #725 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM

I doubt we would get a straight answer anyway since the changes are being done overseas and I doubt there would be a detailed communication to the US folks communicating them. All they have been told was that the 1.04 version was being withdrawn for refinement and until then the official version is 1.0. When the 1.04 version is ready, I would send it back just on blind faith.
post #726 of 3811 Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I finally had a chance to try out the various glasses tonight with the W7000. I had to rig the lens into place since this one is damaged, but it's still nice and sharp in 3D mode.

The W7000 is definitely using the red flash for the DLP Link. The 5360 uses the white flash when it's in DLP Link mode. Here's what's interesting - the different glasses I tried tonight each filter the red flash in a different way. An easy test was Peter Gabriel's black jacket. You can see the red tint without the glasses, but it's completely gone with the ZD201's.

Quick rundown on the glasses:
  • Optoma ZD201 - The best of the 4 glasses. Each lens does an excellent job filtering the red tint.. it's very even and easy on the eyes since both lenses are balanced.

• True Depth - These are great, comfortable glasses. They work perfect with the W7000 and get their sync the fastest of all the glasses, it's instant on. These are my 2nd pick, I can see a little bit of the red getting through on the right lens.. not bad.. just not as good as the ZD201's.

• BenQ - The BenQ glasses allow a noticeable amount of the red through the right side lens. it's not obvious as first until you compare it to the ZD201's, then it's hard to ignore.

• VIP - these are the poorest performing of the group, there is a large amount of red tint that is noticeable in the right eye and it's quite distracting. I wouldn't use these for long if I had the others available to use.

The 3D image is rock solid.. there is no flicker at all. Colors are very good in 3D mode, this is all of the box with FI and DI on in 3D mode. There is no ghosting to be seen.

It's hard to judge the black level at this time since I've mainly been watching 3D movies. My test was the Peter Gabriel concert which had some dark stage scenes, this looked better than I was expecting. It's not going to be mistaken for the RS55 anytime soon, but I would be happy with it for 3D movies since the other benefits of ghost free + great color are there to boost the overall IQ.

I'm looking forward to getting the replacement for this one with the bad lens and possible IQ issue in 2D. I know I am going to get lucky with # 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #727 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
zombie, so which firmware are you running? Is it the same as Paul Seng. He seems to have just the issue with the 3d being dim but no 2d issues but he has big screen. My screen is only 130".

post #728 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post

I feel my 2 BenQ 3D DLPlink glasses are not stable for the 1st 15min of 3D movie watching. Sometimes, the image will be flicking, lacking of red color...and after 2~3 seconds, I see some ghost , and suddenly it becomes OK again.
It seems the glasses loss link at that time. But after 15min , this phenomenon is gone.
Because both of my 3D glasses have the same behavior, I think I'd better go for Optoma 's ZD201.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post

And the optoma ZD201 DLP link 3D glasses is much more comfortable than BenQ's solution with the same image quality. No ghost for 3D at all , and no rainbow observed for me and all my families. I'm very happy with my W7000.

Words to believe in. Thanks!
It’s important to understand the liquid crystal temperature vs. switching speed issues. It's in both the projector panels (notably JVC, Panasonic and Sony*) and, as we see here the glasses. Its takes a months for owners to identify and isolate the anomaly (although it makes for a good read).
Along this same line, I've observed that designing in a thinner layer of liquid crystal in LCD/LCoS projector panels (to reduce ghosting in 3D), also makes for a less compelling 2D picture.

So will the 1.04 Benq W7000 and the Optoma ZD201 be the belated winner? BenQ is hard at work to win the top banana spot.

Sony 95es one hour 3D warmup:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21737577
post #729 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does this benq w7000 have the same speed color wheel as the mitshishi hc7800?

If so its a no go for me because i saw rainbows on the hc7800..

Thats why i switched to the epson tw9000
post #730 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM

zombie, nice review on the glasses. How does the ZD101 compare? Where can I get the ZD201 in the US. Amazon.co.uk no longer allows you to ship it to a u.s. address.

post #731 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

zombie, so which firmware are you running? Is it the same as Paul Seng. He seems to have just the issue with the 3d being dim but no 2d issues but he has big screen. My screen is only 130".

this is the 1.0 firmware with a january build date. I did a very quick lumen check with the stock, out of the box 3D mode. It was ~ 940 lumens, similar to what I measured in December with the original version. If there is a brighter mode, I haven't found it yet. The Epson 5010/6010 is ~1400 with a D65 corrected 'torch mode'. My screen is 142" but it's still bright enough for me since I have the W7000 mounted about a foot above my head for maximum gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

zombie, nice review on the glasses. How does the ZD101 compare? Where can I get the ZD201 in the US. Amazon.co.uk no longer allows you to ship it to a u.s. address.

I don't have the ZD101's, that is a bummer to hear about Amazon, that's where these glasses I have came from. I would use the Ultra-clears if I had no other choice since they are pretty close, but the ZD201's are just better at entirely blocking the red flash. I'll PM Guitarman, I believe he is affiliated with Optoma.. maybe there is a way to get these in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Does this benq w7000 have the same speed color wheel as the mitshishi hc7800?

If so its a no go for me because i saw rainbows on the hc7800..

Thats why i switched to the epson tw9000

john - there is some dispute with the color wheel speed that remains unanswered, I have the question out to BenQ, I should know for sure this week. in the meantime, I watched about 5 straight hours of 3D late last night. I am highly RBE sensitive and maybe caught it 1 time during a fast pan in FD5.

Whatever they did, it's finally a 3D DLP that I can live with for my sensitive eyes. I haven't watched much 2D yet though, so my opinion might change once I get a chance to watch a few 2D movies.

post #732 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

this is the 1.0 firmware with a january build date. I did a very quick lumen check with the stock, out of the box 3D mode. It was ~ 940 lumens, similar to what I measured in December with the original version. If there is a brighter mode, I haven't found it yet. The Epson 5010/6010 is ~1400 with a D65 corrected 'torch mode'. My screen is 142" but it's still bright enough for me since I have the W7000 mounted about a foot above my head for maximum gain.

I don't have the ZD101's, that is a bummer to hear about Amazon, that's where these glasses I have came from. I would use the Ultra-clears if I had no other choice since they are pretty close, but the ZD201's are just better at entirely blocking the red flash. I'll PM Guitarman, I believe he is affiliated with Optoma.. maybe there is a way to get these in the US.

john - there is some dispute with the color wheel speed that remains unanswered, I have the question out to BenQ, I should know for sure this week. in the meantime, I watched about 5 straight hours of 3D late last night. I am highly RBE sensitive and maybe caught it 1 time during a fast pan in FD5.

Whatever they did, it's finally a 3D DLP that I can live with for my sensitive eyes. I haven't watched much 2D yet though, so my opinion might change once I get a chance to watch a few 2D movies.

Hello zombie thx for the reply.

I didnt see the rainbow artifacts in 3d on the Mitsibishi hc7800 also.

But in 2d it was a different story....
post #733 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Hello zombie thx for the reply.

I didnt see the rainbow artifacts in 3d on the Mitsibishi hc7800 also.

But in 2d it was a different story....

I'll watch some of my dark sci-fi soon on the W7000, this is where it would stand out most.. high contrast light colors against a dark background.

was the RBE noticeable in the majority of content you were watching?

post #734 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I'll watch some of my dark sci-fi soon on the W7000, this is where it would stand out most.. high contrast light colors against a dark background.

No it was exactly what you mentioned here.

Best regards
post #735 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Zombie, do you have any Acer glasses to test with the Benq? The French reviewer seemed to think that they were an improvement over Benq's glasses with a brighter image and less ghosting.
post #736 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

It would be much appreciated if you could let us know if you experience any eye fatigue or headaches when viewing 2d content. Higher speed CWs reduce this and I'm hoping this isn't a problem with the Benq. Thanks for all your work on this.
post #737 of 3811 Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM

jason. 1000ES this weekend.
post #738 of 3811 Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM

I have not been able to find a definitive answer for this. What chip is in the W7000. DC2, DC3 or ?

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
post #739 of 3811 Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Does this only occur with computers? Would I have sharpness issues with a blu-ray player or watching HDTV?

Sorry I did not answer this sooner but I was hoping that a W7000 owner would try this out and report. I have an Acer 9500 which I believe uses the same chip as the W7000 to answer the question in the previous post, sort of. I have no sharpness issues with my PJ using blu-ray and I have no sharpness issues using a PC with a VGA input???? Yeah go figure that one out and I was hoping a smart fella here would help me out if the W7000 was behaving similarly. If the W7000 behaves similarly, or better than the 9500 for 2d BD viewing and 3D, you are in for a treat. If black levels are fixed now, with its' CMS it ought to be the heat.

Wonder why we always have this silly CW speed and chip question issue? Can't they just say it? Publish it already.
post #740 of 3811 Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

It would be much appreciated if you could let us know if you experience any eye fatigue or headaches when viewing 2d content. Higher speed CWs reduce this and I'm hoping this isn't a problem with the Benq. Thanks for all your work on this.

no problem. I had a chance to watch one of my favorite dark scenes, the first 10 minutes of underworld evolution. The W7000 is bright on my HP screen, this is where RBE can stand out in the dark scenes.

On some of the darker scenes, I could just catch it with fast pans once in a while. Overall, I generally had to go looking for it when it's usually obvious on some of the other DLP's I have. I'll have to watch it more to give a better opinion.

the black levels on this scene can't be captured correctly by the screenshots. In the darkest of scenes, no one is going to mistake the W7000 for the JVC RS55, but in mixed contrast scenes it looks good. In 3D, the overall contrast is very good and have no real complaints there.

The Optoma ZD201's are a good match for this projector. The lenses are perfectly balanced with blocking the red flash (which is evident on a number of the pre-glasses photos below) There is no flicker at all which makes it easy on the eyes for extended viewing.

The rest are some completely random grabs on the Himedia 900b. I had to stop and watch about an hour of the Blue's Brothers. This is a great transfer from film to BD.

post #741 of 3811 Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Received mine today. I did not experience any 2d sharpness issues. 3D was great as well. Only thing I felt was a little lacking was the black level. I think my w6000 was better. Are there any settings to adjust to achieve better black levels?

Also on a side note, the projector had something loose inside. I can hear it moving freely as I was mounting it. I will contact the distributor and see if they can replace it.

post #742 of 3811 Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Software version 1.0 does not experience the loss of sharpness over 2D HDMI. I assume that's what you got. The revisions pending to software version 1.04 should eliminate the sharpness issues with 1.04 plus result in substantial improvements over the documented problems with 1.0 including giving better blacks. We have plenty of units with version 1.0 in stock and will gladly shake one to ensure no internal rattles before we ship.
post #743 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 AM

I also did not experience any delay in switching to 3d. Are there any issues other than the black levels with the current version?

I spoke with my distributor and it looks like they are completely unwilling to help. They told me that if it is a benq unit and it is defective, I will have to get a replacement from Benq. I was also told that I cannot return it for a refund from them since it is a defective unit. And if I get a replacement from BENQ, they still would not let me return it to them since it the serial number was not sold by them. For my future purchases, I know where I am not buying from!

When I called Benq they wanted to do an RMA but I am going to wait until right before the 30 days are over hoping that they will ship me one with a new firmware.

post #744 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM

This is a true but unbelievable a horror story all around. Quality control is the dealer shaking the box. Jason's w7000 has a serious lens issue. Is Goldman Sachs is running the company?

You could contest it with your charge card company. You purchased the product in good faith from an authorized dealer (AVS advertiser too?) with the reasonable expectation that it would work as advertised. It does not.

Unfortunately you need to check and see now if they try to stick you with a refurbished unit.

Let this serve as a warning to all buyers of front projectors.
post #745 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Here is what another popular Internet dealer has to state on this very subject:

5. Unfair return policies. Be mindful of restocking fees, and rules that do not allow for returns even when the item is not opened, or is damaged.
post #746 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are a number of separate topics here. In regard to my lens or ahmedreda's loose piece - anything can happen to these projectors on the way from the other side of the world. Mine was double boxed and not a hint of damage, but if a carrier dropped it on it's side, I could see the foam insert pressing against the lens and causing this damage.

dealers - everyone has to learn their lesson eventually when buying online. I never quite understood the concept of buying from an AVS advertiser when this forum is the center of the AV universe and people should be supporting the company that made it possible.

I understand that some folks would prefer to order online, but AVS offers the same prices as their competitors and in many cases, an ever better deal if you just take 10 minutes to call them. The after sale support is unprecedented.. they don't want unhappy customers - unlike some other companies who are just concerned about the bottom line. When my RS55 has an issue with the convergence and focus, AVS sent a replacement immediately without question. They have assisted countless members with projector swaps when the issue was well outside the realm of the dealer. Their excellent relationships with Sony, JVC, etc make this possible.

BenQ - I get that some people are upset, remember the bumper sticker **** happens. What's important to me is how a company handles a potential issue. BenQ is highly aware that some folks had issues and are currently helping those customers, including myself. If the results of their actions aren't to someone's liking, then the decision is easy - wait for something else to come out or buy a different projector.

I'm looking forward to the replacement projector - because even with a botched lens, this is some of the best 3D i've seen yet.

@ ahmedreda - I will PM you the name/email of the engineer I am working with. I am sure they will swap out your projector without issue.

post #747 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

If I could get them for no more than $80/pair shipped I'd be willing to buy 8 pairs.
post #748 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

There are a number of separate topics here. In regard to my lens or ahmedreda's loose piece - anything can happen to these projectors on the way from the other side of the world. Mine was double boxed and not a hint of damage, but if a carrier dropped it on it's side, I could see the foam insert pressing against the lens and causing this damage.

dealers - everyone has to learn their lesson eventually when buying online. I never quite understood the concept of buying from an AVS advertiser when this forum is the center of the AV universe and people should be supporting the company that made it possible.

I understand that some folks would prefer to order online, but AVS offers the same prices as their competitors and in many cases, an ever better deal if you just take 10 minutes to call them. The after sale support is unprecedented.. they don't want unhappy customers - unlike some other companies who are just concerned about the bottom line. When my RS55 has an issue with the convergence and focus, AVS sent a replacement immediately without question. They have assisted countless members with projector swaps when the issue was well outside the realm of the dealer. Their excellent relationships with Sony, JVC, etc make this possible.

BenQ - I get that some people are upset, remember the bumper sticker **** happens. What's important to me is how a company handles a potential issue. BenQ is highly aware that some folks had issues and are currently helping those customers, including myself. If the results of their actions aren't to someone's liking, then the decision is easy - wait for something else to come out or buy a different projector.

I'm looking forward to the replacement projector - because even with a botched lens, this is some of the best 3D i've seen yet.

@ ahmedreda - I will PM you the name/email of the engineer I am working with. I am sure they will swap out your projector without issue.

Well written. BenQ has provided me with the best service I have seen in a long time. I'm the type of person that gets very angry when treated disrespectfully or with poor service... BenQ never did this once.

As for the damaged projector... you're right &@$" happens. It's all about how the company services you after the fact and BenQ delivered.
post #749 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

This is a true but unbelievable a horror story all around. Quality control is the dealer shaking the box. Jason's w7000 has a serious lens issue. Is Goldman Sachs is running the company?

You could contest it with your charge card company. You purchased the product in good faith from an authorized dealer (AVS advertiser too?) with the reasonable expectation that it would work as advertised. It does not.

Unfortunately you need to check and see now if they try to stick you with a refurbished unit.

Let this serve as a warning to all buyers of front projectors.

I wouldn't worry that much. I doubt there even are any of these projectors that are "refurbished" they are so new. Send it back to BenQ...
post #750 of 3811 Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Completely agree. As I mentioned before , BenQ never had an issue with replacing the projector. In fact they agreed to let me use the damaged projector for 2 more weeks in the hope the replacement would have a new version of the firmware. They also offer advance replacement so that I won't be without a projector which I am gonna take advantage of. This is my second BenQ projector and my third overall and so far I have been happy with the quality of their products.

I was not planning to return the projector for a refund but the fact that I can't now for no reason other than the projector being damaged makes no sense to me. I will see what they have to say tomorrow but I am happy with BenQ offer to replace it with a new unit. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page