Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

He might get burnt out after all the work he did this year. Also, there isn't much money in it (if any), but it is funner than most of our day jobs
I want to build an open venue review site so that external contributors like the Zombies of AVS can submit their own reviews online. When I get the time that is what I will do. I will write some of my own reviews as well, but it'll be more of a collaboration tool than a private review site.

I just now got a chance to get back to the projector calculator, I'm working on a pretty neat aspect of it at the moment, a seating calculator that calculates clearance above seating given any mounting location. It's basically the mounting portion I already finished and then adding another tab to allow people to then move their seating around to see how the projected path might get in the way (or not get in the way) at any given mounting configuration. Not sure when it will be ready (Beta 025 I'll call it), but hopefully sooner than later.

That sounds VERY cool! Looking forward to checking it out when you get it up and running.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 3811 Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I think Jason should just make a career out of it. I trust his reports more than anyone on the net My hat is off.....thanks for all your hard work Zombie!

hehe no way, then I'll hate projectors like I despise computers after being in IT for 20+ years.

Thanks for the kudos, it's been a blast working with AVS to see most of the current models this year and getting a chance to report on the pros/cons of each model, especially 3D!

I am crossing my fingers that the firmware on the w7000 resolve the HDMI vs. VGA issues we've all seen. The 3D combined with the Optoma ZD201's imo is about as good as it gets right now. The image is rock solid, absolutely no flicker on my sensitive eyes and the color in 3D is quite natural.

ps. I completely forgot.. I owe you a meter! I'll send a pm this weekend.

edit: since the page flipped to a new one - The BenQ engineer contacted me this morning to send back my W7000 for the firmware update they want me to test. I should have the projector back by Wednesday of next week and will report on my findings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #843 of 3811 Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

hehe no way, then I'll hate projectors like I despise computers after being in IT for 20+ years.

Thanks for the kudos, it's been a blast working with AVS to see most of the current models this year and getting a chance to report on the pros/cons of each model, especially 3D!
[/color][/b]

I was in IT for a long time too, I was always part IT, part coder, now I'm still somewhat of a mix but I'm more of a software guy sort of.
That's why we should do it as a joint venture with other reviewers as well, to make a team.

I've been protyping site designs with CMS (wordpress like apps) and just experimenting for a review site. I agree with Zombie about a regular job with this is too much, that's why I decided to make it more of a collaborative tool than a pure review site.

Zombie --- I have lots of ideas, I know you don't want to do it, but I'd certainly like to find someone interested, but I need talent instead of just myself.
Eventually I'll talk him into it, it'll just take some time :P

The forums would still be our homebase, we would just have another site to better organize the information.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #844 of 3811 Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies if this question has already been asked/answered.

Does the sharpness issue with hdmi also translate to the component input, as well? I wouldn't mind running the PS3/360 through component, until firmware addresses the hdmi situation.
post #845 of 3811 Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

My apologies if this question has already been asked/answered.

Does the sharpness issue with hdmi also translate to the component input, as well? I wouldn't mind running the PS3/360 through component, until firmware addresses the hdmi situation.

I did some tests on this tonight before sending the W7000 back for the firmware update. The HDMI and Component are my Samsung 3D BD player and the VGA is my HTPC with Power DVD playing the AVS disk. I would say the Component input is worse than the HDMI based on the single pixel pattern test from the AVS HD test disk.

The VGA is nearly perfect.

HDMI

Component

VGA

post #846 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM

Thanks a bunch, Zombie. All your hard work is greatly appreciated.

I've been all set to pull the trigger on a W7000 this week, but I think I'll wait just a bit longer until these issues are resolved. Hopefully, the next firmware update will do the trick
post #847 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope they fix that and make the IRIS adjustable in the service menu like the w6000.

-

post #848 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

I am crossing my fingers that the firmware on the w7000 resolve the HDMI vs. VGA issues we've all seen. The 3D combined with the Optoma ZD201's imo is about as good as it gets right now. The image is rock solid, absolutely no flicker on my sensitive eyes and the color in 3D is quite natural.

ps. I completely forgot.. I owe you a meter! I'll send a pm this weekend.

edit: since the page flipped to a new one - The BenQ engineer contacted me this morning to send back my W7000 for the firmware update they want me to test. I should have the projector back by Wednesday of next week and will report on my findings.

No worries about the meter. I know you have been super busy and I am not in a rush by any means (even in its uncalibrated state, my 45 still looks far better than any display in my house). Shoot me a PM at some point though when you free up and we can go from there.

Those VGA, component and HDMI shots are very interesting. I assume HDMI should look the best, right?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #849 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Zombie/ Coderguy,

Does W7000 have better blacks than H9500BD now after the firmware update ?
Is it worth to pay $700 more for the W7000 ?
post #850 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

Thanks a bunch, Zombie. All your hard work is greatly appreciated.

I've been all set to pull the trigger on a W7000 this week, but I think I'll wait just a bit longer until these issues are resolved. Hopefully, the next firmware update will do the trick

no problem, I have explained to the engineers on several occassions that folks are waiting to hear about the the firmware update before committing to a purchase. I am sending it back overnight today and they said they'll get it back to be relatively quickly to evaluate the firmware update. I am crossing my fingers this fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Those VGA, component and HDMI shots are very interesting. I assume HDMI should look the best, right?

The HDMI should look the best with no pixel bleed. There is a slight bit on the VGA that I could have likely fixed with the analog clock/phase adjustments, but overall from seating distance, the VGA crushes the HDMI and Component image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Zombie/ Coderguy,

For a DLP, I have no problem with the blacks on the W7000, especially in 3D mode, it looks great. 2D looks good in mixed contrast scenes, it's only in a torture test like the first 10 minutes of underworld where my JVC RS55 would be the clear winner, but it's not bad by any means and definitely better than my Mitsubishi HC5500 LCD from a few years back.

worth it? yes if they fix the HDMI mapping issue, that would be worth it for me alone since the 9500 has the same issue and no word if Acer is attempting to resolve it. Plus the lens shift, faster color wheel, full color controls, etc.

post #851 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was told by my contact at Benq that the new firmware is version 1.02. It seems that it may be past their testing phase.

post #852 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

I was told by my contact at Benq that the new firmware is version 1.02. It seems that it may be past their testing phase.

I am working directly with the Andy who is the head BQ Engineer in the US, is this who told you the info?

post #853 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM

I was working with sid for a replacement for my defective unit and he emailed me that the one they are sending me is 1.02. I would think that 1.02 would be a "final" version if they are sending units running it.
Quote:

I am working directly with the Andy who is the head BQ Engineer in the US, is this who told you the info?

post #854 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Haven't we already seen reports of a 1.02 here in this thread?

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #855 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was working with sid for a replacement for my defective unit and he emailed me that the one they are sending me is 1.02. I would think that 1.02 would be a "final" version if they are sending units running it.

I know Sid as well, but he will defer to Andy for any of the engineering issues that we have been dealing with. It's possible that there is a 1.02 out there shipping, but it's not going to resolve the issue with the 1:1 mapping on HDMI.

They have a specific, non released beta firmware they are loading on this W7000 so I can validate the changes.

post #856 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM

I searched through the thread and it seems like Crujones had the 1.02 version which he claims is sharp over hdmi. I think later on it was mentioned that it was pulled and they are sticking with the 1.00 version. Not sure why. So it seems like he will be sending me the 1.02 version. Not sure if I should take it or should I opt for 1.0.

Quote:

I know Sid as well, but he will defer to Andy for any of the engineering issues that we have been dealing with. It's possible that there is a 1.02 out there shipping, but it's not going to resolve the issue with the 1:1 mapping on HDMI.

They have a specific, non released beta firmware they are loading on this W7000 so I can validate the changes.

post #857 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I searched through the thread and it seems like Crujones had the 1.02 version which he claims is sharp over hdmi. I think later on it was mentioned that it was pulled and they are sticking with the 1.00 version. Not sure why. So it seems like he will be sending me the 1.02 version. Not sure if I should take it or should I opt for 1.0.

I believe every W7000 out there is experiencing the HDMI mapping issue regardless of the current firmware.

The problem is, it's somewhat subtle (with video content) and if someone has a smaller screen or doesn't have a specific frame of reference (another razor sharp projector next to it) then I can see many missing the issue. There are several reviews out there like Art's and he didn't notice/mention it.

I missed fedex and won't be sending mine back until Monday. I should still have it back by Wed/Thursday and have the specific tests I showed earlier to validate the changes.

post #858 of 3811 Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Zombie/ Coderguy,

It is worth it for the other reasons Zombie mentioned earlier, and once Zombie finishes his engineering work so to speak in getting this fixed with Benq, which is really nice of him for all you Benq enthusiasts or owners that are stuck with this issue ATM. I think the black level issue itself is going to be too close and not a reason to pick one over the other. The h9500bd might have higher on/off if going by some measurements. The 9500bd's IRIS is going to most likely be more severe (more noticeable) than the Benq's which has a good IRIS (still noticeable and not SONY invisible, but still very good).

After this is fixed, I would also be curious if Zombie can play a few games and tell us if he notices the extra sharpness of the Benq over his other units for gaming or HTPC, I know for movies the added sharpness of a Benq isn't a huge difference (when it's mapping properly it's so sharp), but in some gaming it should be, so keep that in mind as well. I have not spent even 1% of the time with Benq's as Zombie has (played around at Fry's more than anything), but I'm pretty good at knowing this stuff from other methods when I didn't get to spend enough time with it.

-

post #859 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

not yet.. I just received an email from their engineer this morning with an overnight call tag to have this W7000 updated with their latest beta firmware.

The engineers have all the HDMI vs. VGA mapping info I provided recently and they are asking that I check the W7000 after they update the firmware. I am sending it back tomorrow and should arrive by Monday. Hopefully I'll have it back no later than Wednesday to validate the changes.

stay tuned for more info..

If you get your back before me... Lol.

I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago now...

Not sure why Andy needs your unit too. I was the first known person to discover the non 1:1 pixel mapping and have not heard back if the beta firmware fixes it or not...

post #860 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
I have just received my W7000, and will only use it for 3D.

It came with 1.00-4 firmware, and 3D looks so good, so I'll wait and see, if the new firmware does anything on the 3D picture, before I decide if I'll send it in for a update.

The projector came with two pair of glasses, and I believe that they are different than the one zombie10k have, her are some pictures.

BenQ and the old JVC glasses.

There is a little bit of red tint with these, compared with the one pair of OPTOMA ZD 201 I have, but the BenQ's are more comfortable, if you use prescription glasses, as I do.

So far I'm very satisfied, the noise is louder than my JVC X3, that I use for 2D, but after a few minutes, I don't hear it anymore.

My two projectors.

post #861 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I had a unit with Firmware 1.02 arrive yesterday, and while I barely had time to do anything with it, on the Spears and Munsil sharpness pattern it certainly seems soft at the edges, going from soft to soft with haloing as I adjust sharpness. I'll try to run VGA to it today to test that out from my laptop as well and be 100% sure.

That said, I wish they'd give a different name to Video Levels/PC Levels for input to make it so it didn't crush BTB and WTW content. It looked like on the W6000 you could set the black level between 7.5 and 0, I much prefer that method for selection. I'll calibrate it today and see if the sharpness issue is still there, and if it's tied to VGA or HDMI.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #862 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

If you get your back before me... Lol.

I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago now...

Not sure why Andy needs your unit too. I was the first known person to discover the non 1:1 pixel mapping and have not heard back if the beta firmware fixes it or not...

I didn't realize you still had the W7000, I thought you got rid of it after discovering the mapping issue. I have been talking with Andy every few days, sending plenty of HDMI / Component / VGA examples of the single pixel pattern tests, etc.

They aren't specifically saying the beta firmware is going to fix the issue, but he did request the projector for overnight and said they'd sent it back quickly for me to check out. I'd send him an email asking if yours can be updated this week so we can both see if the issue is resolved.

post #863 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I didn't realize you still had the W7000, I thought you got rid of it after discovering the mapping issue. I have been talking with Andy every few days, sending plenty of HDMI / Component / VGA examples of the single pixel pattern tests, etc.

They aren't specifically saying the beta firmware is going to fix the issue, but he did request the projector for overnight and said they'd sent it back quickly for me to check out. I'd send him an email asking if yours can be updated this week so we can both see if the issue is resolved.

I wonder if the early adopters realized they were going to function as beta testers for this projector. Those in the wait-and-see mode should be most grateful to you.
post #864 of 3811 Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
So any of these currently for sale as "refurbished" by BenQ would probably still have the issues?

post #865 of 3811 Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I've had Mike at AVS contacting him regarding it.

I figured let him talk to a person he knows more then myself. Plus, lately I've been very busy catching up on movies and games Ive been stocking pilling up for over a year... Just finished the theater room in the beginning of March.

Using the JVC X70 right now... Wow can that thing throw a nice picture...

post #866 of 3811 Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I've had Mike at AVS contacting him regarding it.

I figured let him talk to a person he knows more then myself. Plus, lately I've been very busy catching up on movies and games Ive been stocking pilling up for over a year... Just finished the theater room in the begging of March.

Using the JVC X70 right now... Wow can that thing throw a nice picture...

i've been so busy with these other projectors, my RS55 has been collecting dust. I did a marathon for 5 hours last night watching a number of dark stage concerts and it looked excellent.

I hope the firmware update fixes the HDMI issue, the 55 / W7000 would be a great combo for 2D / 3D until the fall.

post #867 of 3811 Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
TSO

Liked: 13
OK, now I've read most of this very long thread, and I'm still not clear (no pun intended).
Did Cru Jones get or did he not get a fixed unit?
Has ANYONE gotten back a unit with a firmware solution that has fixed the HDMI issue?

HOw is it that no professional reviewer (Art, etc) has noticed the HDMI blurriness issue??? IN fact, most reviewers list as a strength the sharpness of the picture!

IN replacing my current PJ, which just gave me a bulb warning, this unit fulfills perfectly my needs - High brightness, great 3d, good contrast and blacks, and currently great pricing.

This is my fifth PJ purchase - why does there always have to be a fly in the ointment??
Thanks for any responses.
post #868 of 3811 Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Zombie, have you by chance measured ansi contrast on this projector, or how is it subjectively compared to your RS55 in mixed scenes? Is there still that "pop" & depth advantage people talk about with DLP over LCOS? I get the impression from reading the RS55 has more than the RS50?

The old JVC G15 in my media room with 8.5' wide approximately 1.6 mix old formula high gain "Goo" surface has stopped igniting its lamps (confirmed not the lamps) for some reason and I am looking at this as possible replacement. I still have the RS50 in dedicated theater. The only DLP I have seen is my 61" Samsung LED rear projection set which I love. If it looks as good as that but bigger I would be very happy.
post #869 of 3811 Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

The only DLP I have seen is my 61" Samsung LED rear projection set which I love. If it looks as good as that but bigger I would be very happy.

First things first. I do not have the W7000. I do have the exact same Samsung DLP TV with which I am very pleased after all these years. It is still humming along just fine. What a buy. Anyway, I was looking at the W7000 to replace my Epson 8350 for 3D and I ended up buying the Acer H9500BD. The only other realistic DLP 3D option available was the Optoma HD33 but it simply was not bright enough for me and the lack of any lens shift made it a no go for my setup. So the BenQ is a bit brighter, has full calibration so it is a strong contender. All this talk about HDMI blurring is exactly what I see on my Samsung DLP TV when testing. While watching movies it is stunning. So is my Acer and I suspect the same with the BenQ. When watching movies I have a hard time finding a sharpness problem because my Acer destroys my Epson 8350 in side by side movie viewing comparisons. I have done blind tests with my family and every time they pick the DLP unit over the 3LCD. Now if the picture can get any better than that with a firmware fix I would say the BenQ is the bomb. Blah blah, back to my point. If you are happy with your Sammy DLP pic you will be happy with the BenQ IMO because my Acer looks exactly the same, just bigger.

Edit: darn, almost forgot, the best reason to get one of these units is the excellent 3D picture. I mean excellent as in flawless and super sharp. From there you need to decide what you want to pay, and if CFI and DI as well as 2D to 3D conversion is important to you. CFI is really handy for sports watching and having DI adjustment for 3D viewing is more handy than not having it. Good luck.
post #870 of 3811 Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The reason you see "blur" on your Samsung LED DLP is because it is not capable of 1:1 1080p, it uses a process called "wobulation" to flip its maximum 960x1080 resolution back and forth rapidly to simulate 1920x1080.

The BenQ does not have this limitation as evidenced by its 1080p performance over VGA, and based on the pictures posted it appears the image is undergoing the equivalent of 1080p>720p>1080p over HDMI and 1080p>480p>1080p over component for whatever the reason. Latter may be a result of the Blu-ray player downgrading component output for copy protection concerns (zombie: can said player do 1:1 over component with other projectors?), but HDMI performance makes no sense.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page