Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread
flyingmunkey's Avatar flyingmunkey 10:10 AM 04-15-2012
how to the xpand glasses compare to the zd's?

curtishd's Avatar curtishd 10:19 AM 04-15-2012
Can the firmware be updated via USB?
TSO's Avatar TSO 10:49 AM 04-15-2012
Update by USB would be too easy and make too much sense...
Don't you know that everything in front projection has to be painful and fought for??

But seriously, what will Benq's upgrade path be? a recall notice? Those who want it send it in? I'm a little pessimistic on how this will eventually get to the public.

I was ready to upgrade three weeks ago, and am itching to do so, and this is the perfect purchase for me...IF the new firmware is installed.

I'm thinking it will be MONTHS, if ever, before stores start carrying the w7000 with this latest breakthrough.

What do you guys (those who have been talking to the company) think?
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 11:50 AM 04-15-2012
once the firmware is validated with the HDMI fix, they've already told one member that they would send a shipping label and return it after the firmware update for existing owners.

The easiest way to guarantee one with the current update is to wait for AVS's stock to get updated. if the firmware is clean, it's not going to take that long.
curtishd's Avatar curtishd 03:30 PM 04-15-2012
I don't see a 3D sync connector for an input on the W7000, so is it possible to use Xpand 103 glasses with this or not?
TSO's Avatar TSO 04:52 PM 04-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The easiest way to guarantee one with the current update is to wait for AVS's stock to get updated. if the firmware is clean, it's not going to take that long.

Makes sense - I've been looking for an excuse to buy from AVS finally...

Hey AVS guys! I'm hoping you all jump on Benq and get the first shipment of updated units out of their factory! I've got Tax cash burning a hole in my pockets!
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 06:43 PM 04-15-2012
Jason, what is the best movie/video that reveals the sharpness difference from the blurred VS the good or in the previous case the VGA input? Not talking test pattern but trying to figure out how much impact this has in movie or TV watching and how obvious it is on my unit. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I finally tested my 9500 with an adapter on the DVI out from the video card out to both the DVI in and VGA in to the PJ. It bombed the single pixel windows stuff to the DVI/HDMI input and the VGA input was exactly what you expect to see on a DLP. Having said that the windows experience was not horrible via the HDMI/DVI circuit, but a single pixel lines paint image looked like arse with blurring/shadow. Now to the interesting part, I put in Batman DK and paused the closeups and switched back and forth between VGA and DVI. It was very hard to discern the difference. So hard, I had to walk up and in some cases and use a magnifying glass. So as I expected, at least for the 9500 the picture is very good for video and TV. From my viewing distance I cannot tell the difference. Thank goodness because I thought my eyes were beginning to fail me but I knew that was not the case when I clearly saw the 9500 was sharper than my 8350 in side by side viewing.

I do not know where to go next with Acer except for some minor quibbles because there was no real difference I felt I could capture with my camera equipment for video watching. I suppose I could request they make the HDMI/DVI input process just like the VGA one but for now, it makes too small a difference to me for me to be up in arms about it. Perhaps it is that Windows box that pops up and says that PowerDVD is not supported and display will be in Windows basic mode but the movie looked good, just like my Panny BD player does. Oh well, I am good for now because I do not know what I am missing since I cannot see what I am missing which I suspect is not enough to worry about.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 01:23 PM 04-16-2012
Sharpness isn't easy to see in many scenes, but there are some where it sticks out for sure.

There are actually a couple scenes where I can see the sharpness of my JVC over my Viewsonic DLP, and the difference in sharpness is pretty small between these two projectors (you can just tell in HTPC text). So even a slight difference in sharpness can be seen in video if you try hard enough at some levels (but once it surpasses a certain point, forget about it), but it all also depends how close you sit. My JVC is sharp just like a DLP, heck it's sharper than the last DLP's I've seen, except for the Benq w6000/w7000.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 08:04 PM 04-16-2012
Mike - The Art of Flight was shot on the Red 4K and is one of the easier titles to pick out the 1:1 mapping issue before/after.

My screen is somewhat large @ 142" and I sit only 1.25 SW away, perhaps my setup also makes the issue stand out more.

W7000 owners - I watched a number of movies on the W7000 this weekend, so far the firmware is behaving itself well. I won't get a chance to check the CMS until tomorrow night, but it's looking good.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 11:54 PM 04-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Shouldn't be a problem. I mounted one 13 ft back for a 106" screen.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm
From this calculator you can do it between 15 and 23 feet for that screen size.

Now even "friends" are posting links to my competitors :P
I'm just kidding around...

Quote:

W7000 owners - I watched a number of movies on the W7000 this weekend, so far the firmware is behaving itself well. I won't get a chance to check the CMS until tomorrow night, but it's looking good.

Can you see a notable difference in sharpness between that Benq and the Sony at the current viewing distance you are at when watching Art of Flight, I wonder if you split-screen them if you can see it. I know this is a politically incorrect issue for you (but just trying to get a general idea).
HiFiFun's Avatar HiFiFun 05:49 PM 04-17-2012
The official BenQ projector calculator:
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projec...tiocalculator/
Joesyah's Avatar Joesyah 08:21 PM 04-18-2012
Benq has released their first blue core projectors http://www.benq.us/product/projector/lw61st/ . I wonder how long it will take to see this in the home theater models? I'll be in line to buy one if it does what it says!
Elix's Avatar Elix 09:30 PM 04-18-2012
I have a few questions to ask not covered in reviews:

1) Does W7000 have full 4:4:4 chroma subsampling while being connected to HTPC through HDMI? Here're test images:
http://o0.eu.imgsrc.ru/i/i-scream/7/16684887pmV.jpg
http://o0.eu.imgsrc.ru/i/i-scream/8/16684888Wpz.jpg
These should be tested on 100% zoom. Horizontal and verical lines should all be crisp and of same luminance.

2) In 1080p 3D mode does it lose horizontal or vertical resolution?

3) How does it handle frame interpolation? How much artifacts are there? Here's a test video: http://clck.ru/0zwPh

4) How's the dithering? Is it very noticable? Is there banding? Can someone take a picture of a greyramp on their screen?
a1blues's Avatar a1blues 09:13 AM 04-19-2012
Just got the benq today. It is a refurb with version 1.0 firmware.
Can anyone tell me if this version has acceptable black levels as I did read early versions like the one reviewed by art was poor on black levels
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 10:21 AM 04-19-2012
Elix - I can run these tests. It's going to take a few day to get to it.

a1blues - I'm not sure what Art is referring to, I've seen 2 W7000's with different firmwares (including the latest beta) and I don't see any specific difference in black levels.

All- BenQ is asking for final sign off on the beta firmware. I should have the final tests done by this weekend and will give them the go-ahead for release on Monday if everything goes well with CMS. So far, no apparent issues with 2D or 3D, switching between modes is relatively quick and the HDMI 1:1 mapping certainly looks like it's been addressed in this firmware.

mich5's Avatar mich5 11:03 AM 04-19-2012
So, if everything goes well, about when should I order one to get this best firmware installed, say if I order from VisualApex, etc? Would Benq recall all units out now to update firmwares? I really don't want to take the unit out once it is in place since it is very hard to put one in for my format.

Thanks a lot for the hard work. This is the best forum there is.
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 11:28 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:

a1blues - I'm not sure what Art is referring to, I've seen 2 W7000's with different firmwares (including the latest beta) and I don't see any specific difference in black levels.

All- BenQ is asking for final sign off on the beta firmware. I should have the final tests done by this weekend and will give them the go-ahead for release on Monday if everything goes well with CMS. So far, no apparent issues with 2D or 3D, switching between modes is relatively quick and the HDMI 1:1 mapping certainly looks like it's been addressed in this firmware.

Do you check for CMS saturation errors (aka: 25% / 50% / 75% saturation levels not to be confused with brightness levels.)
Elix's Avatar Elix 11:34 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:

Thanks, zombie! You're the best zombie ever! ("I like turtles!" )
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 01:25 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich5 View Post

So, if everything goes well, about when should I order one to get this best firmware installed, say if I order from VisualApex, etc? Would Benq recall all units out now to update firmwares? I really don't want to take the unit out once it is in place since it is very hard to put one in for my format.

Thanks a lot for the hard work. This is the best forum there is.

I'll try to get official word from the BQ engineer on how to proceed with getting it updated. Their support told at least one W7000 owner that they would send for a call tag, but lets wait to find out for certain.

If you don't already own one, I'd wait for AVS to get their stock up to date which will be soon after the firmware is approved.
michaelscott73's Avatar michaelscott73 01:56 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:

I'll try to get official word from the BQ engineer on how to proceed with getting it updated. Their support told at least one W7000 owner that they would send for a call tag, but lets wait to find out for certain.

If you don't already own one, I'd wait for AVS to get their stock up to date which will be soon after the firmware is approved.

Sid confirmed via email my call tag but that was back in March. I will reach out to him once Jason signs off on the firmware...LMAO
If you are a current owner I'd contact them and get them to pay shipping. It's the least they can do considering they got testing done for free.
Thanks for the work you put in...can't wait to see the improvements.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 02:56 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Do you check for CMS saturation errors (aka: 25% / 50% / 75% saturation levels not to be confused with brightness levels.)

Doesn't the standard chromapure work flow include this?
I have Calman and it doesn't have it, that's why I wish I had just used Chromapure. It's a real pain to do it in Calman (or I don't know the easy way).
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 03:15 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Sid confirmed via email my call tag but that was back in March. I will reach out to him once Jason signs off on the firmware...LMAO
If you are a current owner I'd contact them and get them to pay shipping. It's the least they can do considering they got testing done for free.
Thanks for the work you put in...can't wait to see the improvements.

I talked to one of their Sales Managers this morning and encouraged them to make the upgrade as painless as possible for existing owners. We'll have more info by next week.

no problem on helping, I'm glad to see they came through and fixed the issue. it finally looks just as sharp as my W6000 and SP890.

I am taking good care of your glasses and can send them back next week. They are decent for the $$, but I'm going for the ZD201's every time since they perform so well with this particular projector. thanks for giving me the chance to check them out.

ondaedg's Avatar ondaedg 07:29 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:

At some companies, getting the sign off on releasing software/firmware requires a sig from the directors of QA, software engineering, hardware engineering, and product management. I think it's a testament to your hard work that they're asking you for your sign off.
JerryW's Avatar JerryW 07:47 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

At some companies, getting the sign off on releasing software/firmware requires a sig from the directors of QA, software engineering, hardware engineering, and product management. I think it's a testament to your hard work that they're asking you for your sign off.

All of those other people get paid beaucoup bucks too.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 08:20 PM 04-19-2012
A lot of these companies are based overseas and so is the engineering and development. The hardware engineering is partly pre-done and pre-spec'd in the DLP kits, but they just have to customize and adjust stuff which in turn ends up their own design so to speak (the optics side is probably the most custom and complicated for them).

BenQ's head office is located in Taipei, and the company operates five branch offices in the Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Africa regions, and employs over 1,600 individuals. The "BenQ" brand is present in more than 100 countries worldwide.
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 08:31 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Doesn't the standard chromapure work flow include this?
I have Calman and it doesn't have it, that's why I wish I had just used Chromapure. It's a real pain to do it in Calman (or I don't know the easy way).

I only use ChromaPure and it is in the workflow. But it's the only way to see if a CMS works... Just because you can get "perfect" at 100% saturation does not mean any other saturation level will be correct. That's been my experience.
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 08:33 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

That's because they are pretty worthless. Oops, did I say that out loud.
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 08:38 PM 04-19-2012
Zombie, can you test the CMS at the different saturation levels? What I would like you to do is get 100% accurate and then measure 75% 50% and 25% and then see if those are accurate as well. So far no projector I have tested has been able to do this. If I get the CMS correct at 100% it is usually very inaccurate at 75% 50% and 25%
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 08:43 PM 04-19-2012
You guys have no idea what I am going through with Acer regarding this issue. How did I become the proponent for the fix there? I am so happy BenQ has fixed this because it gives me hope for the Acer. If they do not fix this I have some soul searching to do. Again, great work Jason and I wish I had the same in with Acer that you have with BenQ. As it stands for now I am waiting for Acer to answer the mail on this and I am not holding my breath.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 08:44 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I only use ChromaPure and it is in the workflow. But it's the only way to see if a CMS works... Just because you can get "perfect" at 100% saturation does not mean any other saturation level will be correct. That's been my experience.

I completely agree with you which is why I wished I had bought ChromaPure instead of Calman. The only way I think you can do it in Calman is manually setting it (or maybe it is in a profile) and then manually comparing the different saturation graphs. Since I don't have a full CMS on the RS-45, then I didn't bother attempting it with Calman + HTPC adjustments yet as I already know the RS-45's SAT tracking points are off which is causing a YELLOW exaggeration to some skin tones when a movie has a scene that is naturally a tad on the yellow side.
Tags: Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop