post #1081 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

Would there be an improvement for 3D with the updated firmware? I plan on using the projector for 3D only and I don't really want to go through the hassle of boxing up my projector and shipping it to Benq for the update. I'm happy with the picture right now so I guess it depends on if there would be an advantage to upgrading. Why can't they develop a PC application that allows users to update the software at home?

I would sent it back. I wasn't certain at first if the issue was also affecting 3D, but it does appear sharper in 3D after the HDMI update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

OK, thanks! And by the way, what black levels can I expect with this projector? Reviews never mentioned measurements. I'm talking ftL here, on a 0 IRE or ANSI pattern (if it's not too much to ask...)

I have the patterns downloaded, I should be able to test them tonight. What other front projectors have you seen? it will be easier to give a frame of reference how the W7000 compares. I did about 4 hours of A/B between the W7000 and the Sony HW30 last night. The blacks in general are better on the HW30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Have you tried the older (more readily available & at a lower price) Optoma ZD101 glasses with the W7000? Is the overall 3D image quality equal to the ZD201. I know several people have commented that the ZD201 are smaller, lighter and overall preferred. I'm just wondering if a W7000 owner purchases a couple pairs of ZD201 for their primary viewing, what are the choices for lower prices DLP-Link glasses for the occassional additional viewers. Perhaps the older Optomas (but still about $70/pair from Amazon) or perhaps Ultra Clear DLP-Link Glass (about $60/pair at Amazon) or perhaps some of THESE really low cost models.

Ron, i've tried all the glasses in the photo I posted, the original BenQ, True Depth, VIP and the ZD201's. 1 particular thing stands out on the ZD201's - the ability to completely block the red flash. On each of the other glasses (including the BenQ) there is some red flash leaking through the right eye. it's subtle and will likely go unnoticed unless you had a pair of the ZD201's for reference. Both lenses are perfectly balanced and block the red flash equally.

I haven't tried the ZD101, they look similar to the BenQ which are quite uncomfortable compared to the 201's. The Optoma's are possibly my favorite glasses i've tested so far in regard to performance and comfort. I would say the relatively inexpensive True Depth were the runner up. They are comfortable to wear and only a bit of the red flash gets through, so they are a good affordable choice.

The ZD201's are available from at least 1 reputable US website, but they aren't cheap. Maybe AVS can contact Optoma to start selling them?

Edit: A member from Denmark posted these a few weeks ago. These are the BenQ glasses I saw when the W7000 was first announced. I am going to try and find a pair since they look pretty nice and hopefully perform better than the original BenQ pair I tested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question. I've got the Benq 8720+ on a 128" screen, and I'm ready for an upgrade. What will be the most significant difference between the two (brightness? Black levels? Sharpness) and will I see a significant difference between the 720p of the 8720 and the 1080p of the w7000? Thanks in advance!
post #1083 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEARCH1990 View Post

Quick question. I've got the Benq 8720+ on a 128" screen, and I'm ready for an upgrade. What will be the most significant difference between the two (brightness? Black levels? Sharpness) and will I see a significant difference between the 720p of the 8720 and the 1080p of the w7000? Thanks in advance!

how far do you sit from the screen? Can you detect the screen door effect on the 720P BQ? Sharpness and increased resolution detail are the most obvious if I compare the W7000 to my older Acer 5360 which is a 720P DLP.
post #1084 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I have to give props once again to doing business with AVS. And stop me if you've heard this before but Mark Haflich is a heck of a nice guy. He just can't help himself......

We have been discussing a couple of products over last several weeks including the W7000 and he called yesterday to update me on them and let me know the time frame they are expecting to receive them and also with the new lower price than they could originally offer on the projector.

But feeling badly about it, I had to let him know that I had just ordered it elsewhere due to how I would be able to finance it interest free for a year. Which really helps me in this situation which was unexpected with the sudden need to replace my old JVC G15 in our media room that is separate from the theater.

So what does he do .... when I mentioned I already have the Chief ceiling mount in place for the JVC with the large tilt/yaw bracket (similar but smaller mechanism on these)..... he spends another 15 minutes letting me know all I need then is simply the correct last connecting part for the W7000 which will work fine with the larger mechanism. And helping me find it on line with Chief's website, even firing up his own computer in the process.

Thanks so much Mark....really appreciated!!
post #1085 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Elix - I didn't notice this in movies, but there is some mild artifacts in the clock test when the FI is turned on. is this a 3D MKV? it looks like it engaged 3D mode when I ran the test.

Here are both the horizontal and vertical pixel tests. Also the L/R 3D patterns. Color uniformity between both eyes looks better in person than in the photos, I think the fast shutter speed is picking up some false color from the timing of the glasses or the color wheel.

post #1086 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Zombie,

Thanks for the quick response! I sit about 15' from the screen, and see little to no screen door effect. I am really hoping for a brighter picture, and a bit more "pop". As the listed lumen spec on the 8720 is half the w7000 (1000 lumens), I was hoping for a much brighter picture in 2d. Is this unrealistic?
post #1087 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow! These lines look spectacular! I've noticed that RGB pixels are on the same line, which must be one of the things that contribute to that projector picture look. This is what the same line might look like on a typical direct view display (not the same lines but you know what I mean): http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=61281

And I see no drop in vertical resolution in 3D. Great!

I've been wondering about one more thing: how smooth is greyscale on W7000? Is there a lot of noise in low IRE patterns (0-20)?

I am almost settled on this projector and now I'm making preparations to altering my room, he-he.
post #1088 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I'm guessing the WD7000 would work really well with the VEFXi 3D-Bee Trainer, or I guess now they are calling that model the "Platinum". As the BenQ is ghost free maybe it will be possible to run the Trainer model in -2, -3 and +2 and +3 sometimes. In addition to the less aggressive modes of -1 and +1.

I could actually with my RS50 run Avatar 2D at some of those other settings because Cameron set the movie up so well for 3D. And it looked surprisingly good. But those settings not so good on other movies, and with sports from 1080i 60 cable, only the lowest settings or it would ghost with the others.

Does anyone with a WD7000 have a Trainer 3D-Bee processor by chance?
post #1089 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

search 1990 - this old PC article claims it was only 340 ANSI lumens in high lamp and 260 lumens in low lamp. That seems a bit low based on it's initial rating.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

The W7000 is ~900-1000 lumens @ D65 / R709 depending on the throw so it should be quite a bit brighter if the review info is correct.

Elix - I didn't see any specific noise when calibrating in the low IRE range that stood out.
post #1090 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM

zombie,

Thanks for the info.
post #1091 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Wow! These lines look spectacular! I've noticed that RGB pixels are on the same line, which must be one of the things that contribute to that projector picture look. This is what the same line might look like on a typical direct view display (not the same lines but you know what I mean): http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=61281

And I see no drop in vertical resolution in 3D. Great!

I've been wondering about one more thing: how smooth is greyscale on W7000? Is there a lot of noise in low IRE patterns (0-20)?

I am almost settled on this projector and now I'm making preparations to altering my room, he-he.

The line pattern is designed to show convergence. It really doesn't have a use with respect to a one chip machine. The lines should be perfect unless substantial lens shift is employed and then there could be some non alignment of the color segments due to chromatic aberrations of the colors diverging due to lens curvature uncorrectable by the lens coating because of the curvature.
post #1092 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark, I think they were expecting some odd behavior as a result of wobulation which the W7000 doesn't use.
post #1093 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone care to do a few side by side video/pic shots of this comparing the JVC RS40? I would like to see some bright, dark and shadow type scenes.
post #1094 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Anyone care to do a few side by side video/pic shots of this comparing the JVC RS40? I would like to see some bright, dark and shadow type scenes.

I don't have the X30 around anymore, but compared to the BenQ it is just in a different world of black level. On scope content the bars on the BenQ bother me a little bit, as they aren't as dark as they were on the JVC, though you should have no trouble seeing shadow detail on it, but some of that is since the black floor isn't as low, all the shadows are more visible. If absolute black level is most important, the JVC is going to beat the BenQ.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #1095 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 PM

The lag time with no FI in 50 MS, I ran the test and averaged over 10 tests, it's 50 MS.

if you turn on FI low and DI on, it's close to 200 MS. Who is going to game with the FI turned on?

post #1096 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I don't have the X30 around anymore, but compared to the BenQ it is just in a different world of black level. On scope content the bars on the BenQ bother me a little bit, as they aren't as dark as they were on the JVC, though you should have no trouble seeing shadow detail on it, but some of that is since the black floor isn't as low, all the shadows are more visible. If absolute black level is most important, the JVC is going to beat the BenQ.

Smack, did you ever own a W6000? I've noticed several reviews have mentioned that the W7000 throws a similar 2D picture, but with increased brightness (especially in torch mode) and slightly deeper blacks. I'm curious if you've noticed this as well.

It seems essentially verified now (thanks to Zombie, among others) that this is hands-down the best 3D projector in it's price range, and a moderately improved iteration over it's older 2D model. That's more than good enough for me, although I certainly hope to see BenQ continue to improve black levels in future units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobjiale205 View Post

The lag time with no FI in 50 MS, I ran the test and averaged over 10 tests, it's 50 MS.

if you turn on FI low and DI on, it's close to 200 MS. Who is going to game with the FI turned on?

Interesting. Similar (but not completely accurate) to Pete Connolly's results, comparing the W7000 to Epson 5010 for gaming.
post #1097 of 3794 Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Never owned a BenQ W6000, or used one, so I can't comment on that. It's the best 3D I've seen at home so far, and while the BenQ glasses are not my favorites, with something more comfortable I might actually watch something in 3D with it. Other than the Runco D-73d stack, I haven't really said that before.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
post #1098 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

Smack, did you ever own a W6000? I've noticed several reviews have mentioned that the W7000 throws a similar 2D picture, but with increased brightness (especially in torch mode) and slightly deeper blacks. I'm curious if you've noticed this as well.

It seems essentially verified now (thanks to Zombie, among others) that this is hands-down the best 3D projector in it's price range, and a moderately improved iteration over it's older 2D model. That's more than good enough for me, although I certainly hope to see BenQ continue to improve black levels in future units.

Interesting. Similar (but not completely accurate) to Pete Connolly's results, comparing the W7000 to Epson 5010 for gaming.

Smack. We have the ones with the latest software coming in with a ship date to us of May the 8th. If you would like one give us a call. We should be able to ship around May 15.
post #1099 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

That 5 post member is a BOT, that's an old quote of mine and they try to inject images of some hosting site.

regarding the article comparing the W7000 vs. Epson 5010 - another reviewer that missed the HDMI issue with the W7000 since I have the only 'correct' W7000 in the US right now. The W7000 was not sharper than the Epson 5010 until after they fixed the HDMI mapping issue. None of the reviewers picked up on the issue with the 9500 either, it was end users that discovered the problem.

it's interesting that some of the pro sites have finally decided to include lag time in the reviews. Something I started back in mini-shootout thread and now others are following. The W7000 lag is 50MS, not 35MS as stated in that review.

I did a late night, 6 hour marathon of 3D between the Sony HW30, BenQ W7000 and the JVC RS55. i'm collecting info for updating the mini-shootout thread. If there was a way to add the JVC blacks and the HW30's excellent FI to the W7000, we'd have a perfect 3D projector. As it stands, it's still the best in regard to flawless ghosting performance and lack of flicker.

There is 1 3D movie I am watching on the RS55, Underworld Awakenings since the majority of the movie takes place in the dark.
post #1100 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Just got refurb W7000, v1.00, a week ago. Beautiful 2d PQ. Sharp pic with great depth. Good blacks, but not inky. Played with 3d and saw painful switching which did get corrected in newer firmware. Got Zd201 and last night watched 3d Coraline with mid to high FI.

zd201 Pluses - light, comfortable, no fatigue, do not see red flash
Minuses-not great for glasses wearers as does not fit over well and no hook for ears (will have to get wraparound for ends), so they wanted to come off. On/off confusing - should have had clear on/off switch rather than flashing LED.

Don't know if expecting too much, but fast movement saw thin clear sheets early in movie. Saw ghosting a number of times. Saw purple haze (flickering?) a number of times. Just have $200 Sony 3d blue ray player; don't know if Oppo would do better. BUT at end watched 2d extras (had been impressed with 2d movie PQ previous night) and 3d even with flaws clearly better.
post #1101 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Comment on sharpness. If look at Projector Review pics (I know the warnings on using them) hard to beat W7000 in sharpness even with the HDMI blur. I've been very impressed, even if it looks like it could get sharper, so though reviewers should have caught it, not surprised they did not. (But they also did not mention the 3 settings of FI and the skin tone adjustment which helped a novice like me get close. Also went into red, so CMS good.)

Problem not just with W7000 and Acer. Comments indicate the Sharp xv-z17000 also has same issue. So odd, but impressive that Benq, known for sharpness, has solved it. Kudos to Zombie and others here for detecting it and pushing them.

And other PJ have issues easily confirmed from this thread and theirs:
Panasonic flickering bulb and 3D ghosting
Epson convergence
JVC 3D , somewhat Sony, too
So nothing is perfect.

Very happy so far with 2d, but hopefully get better 3d movies. While blacks could be better, love sharpness, color and depth. Will still upgrade to new firmware, though.
post #1102 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I know there is a lot to ghosting and glasses shutter speed is only part of the equation but I was wondering does anyone know how many times do the dlp link glasses flash each eye? Is it 60 times per eye a second?
post #1103 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Smack. We have the ones with the latest software coming in with a ship date to us of May the 8th. If you would like one give us a call. We should be able to ship around May 15.

Mark,

Are the BenQ multi-voltage? Ie. Can it run on Aus 240V?
post #1104 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Can this be mounted on the top of a shelf in the back of a room?
post #1105 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Can this be mounted on the top of a shelf in the back of a room?

Sure. That's what I do with my W6000.
The vertical lens shift is quite generous.

You can see this by clicking on my signature.
I've since moved house, but still do a similar thing from 4.5 metres back and 2 metres up.
post #1106 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM

I am seriously considering picking one of these up with the new firmware update. I'd like to ask those who have seen it how it might compare in PQ my current projector, a first-gen Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080. I realize that my projector is five years old, so i would expect there to be considerable difference, and I know I am asking a question with a extremely subjective answer, but I'm still curious. I suck at mentally translating spec comparisons of contrast ratios and the like to any idea of what those will mean in real-world performance. Thanks to any who can help!

Also, is there a Chief mounting plate for this projector, and if so, does anyone know the model number offhand? Thanks!
post #1107 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Thanks, but I'm just reviewing it right now. I sent it back for the firmware update and hopefully will get it back to finish the review up soon.

Chris Heinonen
post #1108 of 3794 Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Just watched Underworld:Awakinings on vudu and I thought it looked quite good. I still have to send my projector back for the update but, overall Awakining, looked good for such a dark film.
post #1109 of 3794 Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Mark,

Are the BenQ multi-voltage? Ie. Can it run on Aus 240V?

Yes. Yes.
post #1110 of 3794 Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

That 5 post member is a BOT, that's an old quote of mine and they try to inject images of some hosting site.

regarding the article comparing the W7000 vs. Epson 5010 - another reviewer that missed the HDMI issue with the W7000 since I have the only 'correct' W7000 in the US right now. The W7000 was not sharper than the Epson 5010 until after they fixed the HDMI mapping issue. None of the reviewers picked up on the issue with the 9500 either, it was end users that discovered the problem.

it's interesting that some of the pro sites have finally decided to include lag time in the reviews. Something I started back in mini-shootout thread and now others are following. The W7000 lag is 50MS, not 35MS as stated in that review.

I did a late night, 6 hour marathon of 3D between the Sony HW30, BenQ W7000 and the JVC RS55. i'm collecting info for updating the mini-shootout thread. If there was a way to add the JVC blacks and the HW30's excellent FI to the W7000, we'd have a perfect 3D projector. As it stands, it's still the best in regard to flawless ghosting performance and lack of flicker.

There is 1 3D movie I am watching on the RS55, Underworld Awakenings since the majority of the movie takes place in the dark.

Actually I've had a "correct" one for about a week now and I'm working on a review as we speak. Just FYI.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page