post #181 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

I was only out the price of mailing the projector to Benq.

To be more specific were you out the cost to ship the projector TO BenQ or both TO and FROM BenQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I was only out the price of mailing the projector to Benq.

What he asked and where did you have to mail it? US?
post #183 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Can you elaborate on what you mean by PITA (e.g., turnaround times, any other issues) and what you mean by "their history on issuing fixes"?

No problem,

BenQ, among many other manufacturers, has a habit of releasing products that are buggy. It's eventually corrected with newer firmware but it may take a few releases to get it right. With BenQ you have to pay to ship it to them and you have to pay to ship it back. The exception is if your PJ is exhibiting a problem that the newer firmware may fix, BenQ in the past has paid the S&H back. The turnaround is about a week, but this is not cheap particularly if you insure the unit. This really shouldn't be an issue in the first place if they would allow the end user to do the upgrade.
post #184 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

What he asked and where did you have to mail it? US?

I believe the closet location for me was NJ, I'm in the Chicago area.
post #185 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The reason some of the MFR's don't let people update the firmware is probably because some firmware updates are not compatible with some revision variances, as well as occasional power outages or accidentally unplugging the projector while the update is in progress or trip over the cable, or what not. In this last case the projector would need dual auto-reverting firmwares like most motherboards have these days.

If you provide public firmware updates, then you have so many people attempting it and you have more support issues to deal with afterward. Then you also have the issue of if a certain test needs to be done to ensure the firmware upgrade went correctly. Usually this stuff isn't an issue, but it does add to their support and what not.

I do think they should let users do it though when there are issues like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #186 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

To be more specific were you out the cost to ship the projector TO BenQ or both TO and FROM BenQ?

I was only out the price of shipping the projector TO Benq. They fixed it and mailed it back on their own dime.
I wish I could remember how much it cost. The projector is rather large and heavy. I used insurance.
I wish you had not asked where I sent it as I don't remember that many years ago.
post #187 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The reason some of the MFR's don't let people update the firmware is probably because some firmware updates are not compatible with some revision variances, as well as occasional power outages or accidentally unplugging the projector while the update is in progress or trip over the cable, or what not. In this last case the projector would need dual auto-reverting firmwares like most motherboards have these days.

If you provide public firmware updates, then you have so many people attempting it and you have more support issues to deal with afterward. Then you also have the issue of if a certain test needs to be done to ensure the firmware upgrade went correctly. Usually this stuff isn't an issue, but it does add to their support and what not.

I do think they should let users do it though when there are issues like this.

I understand the reasons for it, but I still don't think that outweighs letting the user do the upgrade. The last time I had to send a PJ to BenQ it cost me $55. That seems an unreasonable cost just to get an update to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place. How many people are reading this thread and deciding against the W7000 simply because they might have to send their PJ in for a firmware upgrade?
post #188 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Me
post #189 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceXX View Post

I understand the reasons for it, but I still don't think that outweighs letting the user do the upgrade. The last time I had to send a PJ to BenQ it cost me $55. That seems an unreasonable cost just to get an update to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place. How many people are reading this thread and deciding against the W7000 simply because they might have to send their PJ in for a firmware upgrade?

That would be me right there. I am not going through that crap because they released a unfinished product and think I am too inept to do a FW update. Why on earth would I buy this unit knowing what I know, or at least what I think I know about it?
post #190 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

All good points, I agree these manufacturers need to get better on the firmware. I don't understand why these seemingly new issues are popping up when the w7000 really should have just been mainly a revised or improved w6000.

-

post #191 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How many people are reading this thread and deciding against the W7000 simply because they might have to send their PJ in for a firmware upgrade?

Me +3 friends
post #192 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 05:20 PM
ol2

Quote:

How many people are reading this thread and deciding against the W7000 simply because they might have to send their PJ in for a firmware upgrade?

I would keep the projector if I thought these issues would be fixed easily. It's a major PITA to send it back to Benq and there's really no reason why the end user can't update the firmware. My guess is that "final" firmware is probably several months away and even then there's no guarantee that all the problems will be resolved.
post #193 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

After hearing from Art and Mark here at AVS that turning off BC helps with the black levels, I would probably keep this unit if it weren't for the 3D bugs. I can live with everything else since this was going to be my gaming/3D-only machine.

Once BenQ gets the firmware issues resolved I will probably re-purchase this unit if the Acer 9500 doesn't blow my socks off or at least compares equally to the BenQ. It seems that unit has its fair share of issues as well.
post #194 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

I u How many people are reading this thread and deciding against the W7000 simply because they might have to send their PJ in for a firmware upgrade?

Me too! Buying into an unknown problem is one thing. Buying into a known problem is nuts IMO.
post #195 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

After hearing from Art and Mark here at AVS that turning off BC helps with the black levels, I would probably keep this unit if it weren't for the 3D bugs. I can live with everything else since this was going to be my gaming/3D-only machine.

what other issues in 3D did you run into? I was only playing 3D blurays through my Himedia 900b media streamer and it was ok going in and out of 3D mode, but it just took a while, about 30 seconds or so.

My RS50 would take a good while to sync too in 3D mode, but it seems they improved this with the RS45.

post #196 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

The projector is rather large and heavy.

He must be joking to see who is awake.

The projector comes in a small box and is relatively small and light. The JVC seems twice as big and heavy. I am not going to go into all the dimensions but the BenQ is the smallest and lightest of the bunch weighing in at 14.8 lbs, the Epson at 18 lbs, the Sony at 22.1 lbs, and the JVC at almost 43 lbs.

Dimension wise its the smallest by far.
post #197 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Personally, its like a woman. I would much rather know of ALL the problems going in rather than having them disguised and then released by a clergy man opening a pandoras box.
post #198 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Personally, its like a woman. I would much rather know of ALL the problems going in rather than having them disguised and then released by a clergy man opening a pandoras box.

I for one appreciate the effort you guys went to to post this review. As a seller of this product have you guys been in contact with Benq about the issues on this unit? I am curious about how they plan to handle things.
post #199 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM

No. We have not been in contact with them. We only first saw the projector this weekend and BenQ has been closed including today.

Do you know who is the how we are going to fix the bugs person there? And then When person he reports to. I am sure he or she will say, ya ya we know all about the bugs, that why we released it last week.

Seriously. They only brought 20 into the country for the first batch and it wouldn't surprise me to see the second batch with more advanced software. If that's the case, I would expect free software upgrades, all expensives paid.
post #200 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Benq usually follows up with Art @ PJreviews.com, because Art has been reviewing their projectors for so many years. Art has already raised most, if not all the issues to Benq. When he raised the IRIS issue on the w6000 (or it could have been a coincidence), they came out with a firmware fix.

Some of this stuff might already be fixed like Mark said, and eventually someone will figure out how to get into the service menu, and I would be very surprised if the IRIS settings were removed, my guess is they are still there.

-

post #201 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

what other issues in 3D did you run into? I was only playing 3D blurays through my Himedia 900b media streamer and it was ok going in and out of 3D mode, but it just took a while, about 30 seconds or so.

My RS50 would take a good while to sync too in 3D mode, but it seems they improved this with the RS45.

-First issues was the time it took to switch into 3D mode (at least 20-25 seconds)

-Once in 3D mode if you try swapping from auto to manual side-by-side or top-to-bottom it would hang for up to 40 seconds which is highly irritating for trying to use the Xbox 360

-Coming out of 3D back to 2D on DirecTV would cause the unit to hang for 20-30 seconds

-Unit locked up on me completely when I tried putting it into 3D mode when it did not auto detect my Samsung blu-ray player (only happened once and usually auto would always detect the 3D signal.) It constantly kept flashing like it was confused on what it wanted to do and never did anything.

-Picture was way too dimm on my unit in 3D, it was literally night and day. Based on the fact you measured it higher than any of the others and I owned all of those other projectors, I am going to assume either my glasses were borked or something was up with my unit.

As you can see most of these can be hopefully fixed with a firmware update of some sorts. I will say the black levels were also frustrating in 2D and I couldn't get them improved with simple calibrations without introducing a whole lot of other color issues. Mark mentioned turning off BC and putting a filter in front of it, that may be something I look into if I re-purchase this later down the line.

I will say I just opened up my RS45 tonight and after spending 3 hours with it I would be willing to bet the BenQ is every bit as sharp on my screen if I did them side-by-side for comparison.
post #202 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info. Someone mentioned they were also taking a look at the Acer 9500 earlier.. was that you?

post #203 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

No. We have not been in contact with them. We only first saw the projector this weekend and BenQ has been closed including today.

Do you know who is the how we are going to fix the bugs person there? And then When person he reports to. I am sure he or she will say, ya ya we know all about the bugs, that why we released it last week.

Seriously. They only brought 20 into the country for the first batch and it wouldn't surprise me to see the second batch with more advanced software. If that's the case, I would expect free software upgrades, all expensives paid.

OK, thanks for the reply. Just seems you would not want to bring any until ready but hey, that is just me. If I knew all fix expenses were to be covered then that might change things but as it stands I do not know that. Also, a 1 year warranty in this price segment is far from stellar. If the H9500BD drops to $1499 on Tiger or big river anytime soon, I am going that route because frankly I am tired of waiting for my Xmas present. I could already have that unit except awaiting the review of this unit.
post #204 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Liked: 17
I investigated the Acer 9500 and came up with the following issues from cine4home's excellent review:
1) from the data projector side: adding white to the color wheel to increase lumens at the expense of color accuracy
2) the dynamic iris should be left off as the gamma curve is not consistent

Kraine found the Brilliant Color to increased contrast and graininess but liked it enough to buy one. I'm getting pretty desperate too after personally evaluating several leading contenders.
post #205 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks for the info. Someone mentioned they were also taking a look at the Acer 9500 earlier.. was that you?

Yeah I was definitely thinking about it. I have it narrowed down to the Acer and the Optoma HD3300. I've had the HD33 before and didn't care for it but I saw that the 3300 has a tad improved specs.

There has to be a decent 1080p 3D gaming projector out there under $3k other than the HW30
post #206 of 3811 Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I investigated the Acer 9500 and came up with the following issues from cine4home's excellent review:
1) from the data projector side: adding white to the color wheel to increase lumens at the expense of color accuracy
2) the dynamic iris should be left off as the gamma curve is not consistent

Kraine found the Brilliant Color to increased contrast and graininess but liked it enough to buy one. I'm getting pretty desperate too after personally evaluating several leading contenders.

There are many color wheels a manufacturer can use. Adding colors besides RGB can accomplish a variety of objectives while decreasing performance in other areas. For home theature, color fidelity must take precedence over getting a brighter picture.

DI's with dynamic gammas to boost the whites when the iris closes down to improve the blacks, is not without its adverse impacts. And I am not just talking about pumping artifacts which can be tamed by a variety of measures but affects on gray scale tracking. All dynamic irises boost the gamma at the top end when the iris closes down. This can be measured. But gamma i a many splendid thing and there is no right. Its a user preference and its also a manafacturer preference to increase dynamic range when a DI does its best to decrease it. The sport of projectors is a sport of compromises. There is no avoiding them. So keep hunting and you or anyone can identify a negative aspect and rule out a projector. The mantra is what were they thinking? How stupid do they think we are?

Now I am going back to my HT to thoroughly enjoy one of their sets of compromises and I am not going to think of them. Movies and video are generally illusions. Tricks to move one into a different world. To see things that one can never see or to take you somewhere where you could go but don't have the time or money to go to. OK a generalization and not always applicable.

Fight entering that portal. Anybody can do it if they want to. Just keep repeating, what were they thinking. i am not that stupid.

Meanwhile, I'll just say slam, bam, thank you mam for talking me there and for generally making the jouney better each year.
post #207 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
hmmm 45 lbs over my head or 20. That a crash test shootout right there.
Sending in a piece of electronics for an update is silly. Does user update ability add cost to a projector or something? Why leave it out?
And now I actually hate you guys for doing all this review work. I was going to maybe order the W6000 as a new projector. But all this W7000 talk has me waiting and needing to save more money. Thanks Guys.
post #208 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 AM

I finally received my tru depth glasses yesterday and watched some 3D. First was Sammy's Adventure and it looked flawless. I cannot believe how sharp and artifact free the image was. Detail was really incredibile...blew past my expecatations. Smurfs was equally enjoyable, although not many good 3D parts. I agree there are issues when switching from 2D to 3D which are annoying...but if you give the projector 30 seconds it does figure it out...hopefully this will get fixed. I am coming from an RS2 and I was very concerned about black levels. With BC off I have no problem with blacks. Of course they aren't inky blacks...but I don't miss them. What I do miss is the shadow detail. I also watched Avatar in 2D and I was equally impressed...looked almost 3D. Maybe I'm not used to such a sharp image coming from the Pioneer...but I like this projector a lot.
post #209 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

I finally received my tru depth glasses yesterday and watched some 3D. First was Sammy's Adventure and it looked flawless. I cannot believe how sharp and artifact free the image was. Detail was really incredibile...blew past my expecatations. Smurfs was equally enjoyable, although not many good 3D parts. I agree there are issues when switching from 2D to 3D which are annoying...but if you give the projector 30 seconds it does figure it out...hopefully this will get fixed. I am coming from an RS2 and I was very concerned about black levels. With BC off I have no problem with blacks. Of course they aren't inky blacks...but I don't miss them. What I do miss is the shadow detail. I also watched Avatar in 2D and I was equally impressed...looked almost 3D. Maybe I'm not used to such a sharp image coming from the Pioneer...but I like this projector a lot.

I agree, The W7000 handles Sammy's flawlessly. The color, depth and completely lack of ghosting is remarkable. I've seen this movie on the Acer 5360, JVC RS40, RS45, RS50 and the Sony HW30. The W7000 takes the crown for handling the toughest 3D movie made with ease.

There is much to gain from a good calibration. The gamma needs a good tweaking and you'll get back some of that missing shadow detail.

post #210 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I agree, The W7000 handles Sammy's flawlessly. The color, depth and completely lack of ghosting is remarkable. I've seen this movie on the Acer 5360, JVC RS40, RS45, RS50 and the Sony HW30. The W7000 takes the crown for handling the toughest 3D movie made with ease.

There is much to gain from a good calibration. The gamma needs a good tweaking and you'll get back some of that missing shadow detail.

Using the various suggested $150 meters do you think a newbie could calibrate it correctly? I was spoiled with the shadow detail...however the razor sharpness and incredible detail make up for it in my opinion. Guess it depends what you watch though.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page