Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Again, anyone near Milwaukee, WI with a benQ w6000 or w7000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Buyers Beware of the Benq W7000.

I posted a true and accurate comment to arts review here -> http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...t-look-review/ but he deleted my comment. It was very polite, true and accurate. I also mentioned that I believed someone was being paid to say good things about that projector, when in reality it sucks.

So I guess I was right, someone was being paid, otherwise my comment would not have been removed.

I doubt he is being paid since he would have to disclose that at the bottom of the review (new FTC regulations).
post #213 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 357
ok, everyone gets the idea, you don't like the projector. You posted it was 200 MS, which is was with FI and DI on. With it off, it was much lower.

you also posted it was great for gaming, then it stinks for gaming. You also said you didn't even bother trying 3D which is this projectors main strength.

so instead of trashing everything, why not post what your needs are and i'm sure you'll get some friendly replies with good recommendations based on your criteria for a single projector.
post #214 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@Joker have you considered the possibility that you simply got a faulty unit? From all reports I have seen most agree that there are some things that need polishing but for the most part the IQ is very good. You can go through the threads of just about every PJ here and find people who have received faulty units from just about every manufacturer no matter how highly regarded it was. It happens, perhaps damage in shipping or whatever. Your advise is appreciated but it is also taken for what it is. Now if you had exchanged it and got the same results I would add a lot of weight to it. Just saying I am curious why you did not consider an exchange when others are not reporting the same problems you had?

BTW, I read your review on projector people and can understand your frustration but seems to me that unit was faulty.
post #215 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Also if you ran with BC on that would take away from the picture quality.
post #216 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Benq's are tough OOTB sometimes, they need a lot of calibrating. An ND filter and calibrating would have made for some improvement most likely. There does appear to be an issue with the black levels of the projector, but that's another story.

Benq w1100/w1200 has the most inaccurate color and settings of almost every sub $1500 projector out there, but it also calibrates the best with its CMS and it goes from the most inaccurate to the most accurate after a calibration.

I'm not saying anything one way or another because I haven't seen it, but those are the main issues.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #217 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't take any offense to this, but If you quote me, quote me properly. Thats not what I said, again misleading...

1. I originally jumpped the gun when I reported about gaming. I was excited. Lag is bad 50ms, bottom line.

2. I did try 3D, I just didn't post. It was meh... I've seen better 3D. I got a little flicker, not noticable, but nothing to be concerned with. I've seen cheaper optomas with the same 3D.

There seems to be a strong drive to make this seem like a good projector. After seeing what I have seen, I think there better cheaper choices.

I feel really ripped off for paying what I did for that PJ, and I want to make sure no one else makes that mistake by these misleading reviews. I based my puchase off Art's later to find out I was douped, and that it SEEMS he is being paid to make good reviews, or something....

Judge for yourself and demo one, before you make a purchase.

Do you still have the unit? I know you live in WI according to your projector people review.
post #218 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 20
I don't get it. Last night I watched a basketball game in HD and Bluray, Cars on the W7000. I have many other better projectors available but I thoroughly enjoyed the PQ the W7000 threw. Sharp, punchy, good colors. This projector is not a pig. Black levels are not so good but for the content I viewed last night black levels did not enter into the picture. I did watch last night with a ND2 filter in front of the lens. A square 3 inch per side Schneider. Just leaned it held by the groves inside the lens hood. Kept taking it on and off and on the content I watched last night made only a slight improvement in PQ. Software wise this thing is annoying in 3D but not unusable just have to wait a bit. It is not a rip off and I am not being paid to say these things. And if anybody accuses me of doing so like someone is accusing Art, they would get one big libel lawsuit from me that they would lose. The only defense to such a suit is that the statements made are the truth. That's the law. Assumptions don't work. I am surprised the mods have not deleted the accusation and if someone here reports those posts to a mod, I am sure they would be immediately deleted.
post #219 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Yes, I do, but it's not for use.

I am sending it back as soon as I get an RMA.

I have to keep the lamp hours under 3, so that I get my refund.

Sorry, otherwise, I would have let you take a look at it. Thats why I didn't offer.

Wait!!! You were able to know that you did not like the projector with less than 3-hours?!?!

I can't even calibrate any projector with less than 50-hours without getting shifts every 50-100 hours after that.
post #220 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
joker: I get you are frustrated with the unit and disappointed (as am I, I paid $60 to have this thing overnighted to me that I am losing plus expense of returning it.) I totally disagree that the image it throws is crap. I opened the JVC RS45 up last night and I can tell you that the BenQ holds its own in sharpness and clarity against the JVC in many regards. The black levels do leave a lot to be desired but the W7000 does do a lot of things right. I had a friend over that owns a panasonic and he was very impressed with how bluray looked on the unit after I changed a few calibration settings.

50ms is not bad by any means for the "new" breed of 3D projectors. I can only thing of 3 off the top of my head with lower input lag: Panasonic (I think it is in the 40 ms range) HD33, and the new Acer 9500. It is unfortunate this year that there really are only a handful of 1080p 3D projectors to pick from for gamers.

I have nothing to gain by telling people this unit throws a solid 2D image, I am returning mine just like you are because of the 3D bugs/quirky firmware. I do agree for $2,500 this projector should have been a tad better out of the box across the board IMO with the competition that is out there this year in that bracket.

Good luck with your new Panasonic, my brother has it and it throws a pretty nice image on his 110".
post #221 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is nothing wrong with not liking a projector for one reason or another. I just don't see what joker is seeing or perhaps he did get a bad unit. Is the unit perfect, no. But what projector in this price range is?

I emailed PP and Benq about the problems with 3d. Hopefuly everyone that has this unit will do the same and link this thread to it.

I will be keeping mine after doing a little tweaking. I am used to the black level-contrast of the benq dlp's. It doesn't bother me, as it does some.

To me, the image is much better than the W5000 or the Acer 5360. The brightness helps here I'm sure. I run it in cinema mode with BC off and that alone made a big difference in the image quality.

A full isf calibration and my unit will be with me until something much better comes along. Which might be a while, it appears.
post #222 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll take bribes... Lol. But I will still rip apart every projector... Lol
Still have not seen the one for "me"

I would love to see the BenQ to see if it would work for me.
post #223 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I'll take bribes... Lol. But I will still rip apart every projector... Lol
Still have not seen the one for "me"

I thought you were liking the VW95?
post #224 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I thought you were liking the VW95?

I do, but I still want more... Lol.

I want a 6x color wheel DLP with motorized lens and 30,000:1 on/off and 2000 calibrated lumens for under $5000.00. Aka nothing yet.
post #225 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I deleted all most posts to the W7000.
Call it whatever you want, BC on, no calibrated, no time, screen... or whatever clever whitty excuse you can come up with.
Buy it, and learn the hard way.
I don't care anymore.

We are not saying everything you saw was wrong, or maybe you did have a defective unit, but either way some of us have been through too many projectors that we would know if any projector was that far off the norm, then it was either a result of the setup or a defective unit. Even a $500 projector isn't that bad.

Screen size, screen material, too bright, not bright enough, bad gain or hot-spotting, bad gamma, brightness/contrast those are big things, not small things. It can make a 5 million dollar projector look like a $25 flashlight. We're not making excuses for what you saw, but that's all true, you do have to be careful when buying a projector. Perhaps your screen material and brightness ruined the image on this unit.

It does sound like you will be much better off with the Panny 7000 as it is much dimmer in its best mode, has a better IRIS, and has less gaming lag.

Disclaimer:
Some Ninja threw a bag of money through my window and told me to say that, said if I didn't he'd be back to give me a hurtin'.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #226 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After being threatend to be sued, and all the other people jumping down on me in this thread, I deleted all most posts to the W7000.

Call it whatever you want, BC on, no calibrated, no time, screen... or whatever clever whitty excuse you can come up with.

Buy it, and learn the hard way.

I don't care anymore.

Your opinion is just as valuable as anyone else's and it is always good to get a difference of opinion, some of us just aren't seeing the same results you are in the main key areas with this unit.

If it makes you feel any better I disliked the HD33 for 2D where as a large number of people love it (hides from the incoming balls of fire.)

Back on track to the OP - Thank you for whomever it was that let BenQ know the current list of issues. I have also informed PP and was their first customer to return one so they had a lot of questions on the issues I was seeing.
post #227 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Mark (or anybody),
Have you compared the W7000 to the HD3300?

Paul Seng
post #228 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Seng View Post

Mark (or anybody),
Have you compared the W7000 to the HD3300?

I've never owned the HD3300 but I did own the HD33 for awhile and from what I remember the BenQ trumped it in 2D quality but 3D was pretty similar. I never remember being overly impressed with the HD33 in 2D where as the BenQ I was pretty impressed. I had brightness issues with my BenQ in 3D and I actually remember the HD33 being brighter which is why I was a little surprised with the w7000. It has been quite awhile since I've owned the HD33so don't take this for face value.

I am currently looking at picking up the HD3300 or the Acer 9500 to use as my gaming only/3D-only projector.
post #229 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Both Optoma and Acer lens's tend to be on the softer side for DLP's in my somewhat limited experience with them based on mostly user opinions in this forum, not sure specifically about the 9500 though. I saw an HD20 and I thought it was a tad too much on the soft side for a DLP, but it wasn't too noticeable in most scenes from a normal seating distance. Most DLP's are so sharp it's not really the biggest concern though.

Still very happy with the sharpness of my JVC RS-45, and I have owned some really sharp projectors in the past.

post #230 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I already have the W5000 (which I think is super sharp). I am leaning towards the optoma for the 3D though. I was going to move my W5000 to the "videogame" room as my old DLP TV died recently.

Paul Seng
post #231 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Posted on the JVC RS45/Sony HW30/BenQ W7000 topic by Art of ProjectorReviews.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter
Hi again Mikey2Cent! (you have a rap career ahead of you with this minor variation on your avatar?)

I heard back from BenQ about an hour ago, basically a relay of some info from Taiwan. Good news one and all. I'll pass on what's useful:

The Cyan dip we reported: to be corrected with Jan firmware (well there goes the usefulness of our published settings - maybe)

Flicker issues (don't know if the ones that shipped had them, but mine did, - coming out of 3D. That too, fixed

The aspect ratio shift problem I mentioned is a non-problem. Turns out it's a DirecTV problem with their switch to HD res guides and menus. It's now happened on another projector and a year old Sony LCDTV that has never done it before.

Remote control freezing. They cant duplicate, and it only happened twice on my 0.22 firmware. Since no one else has reported, we can forget about that too, unless it resurfaces

I reported instances of saved settings in User 1 briefly going back to default, then reappearing as set. They acknowledged that one also with a Jan F/W fix!

Now, no surprises with that stuff. As I said, most of the headaches go away with production software, but figure even 1.x isn't perfect.

That brings us to the two most important items:::

1. Black level performance: Per Taiwan:
"We did the measurement of the latest unit of W7000 and W6000 we have, and the result shows that they are about the same".

If that's the case (and they only said "latest unit"), then future units or some in the pipeline must have improved blacks relative to what I'm seeing here, which were disappointing.

2. That brings us to Firmware, and how to get the latest, ie. user updatable?: That I didn't get an answer on at all, so I replied to the email, saying, that's what all you guys on the fence are waiting to hear. If there's an easy ability to update firmware, many people likely will "get off the fence."

That's it for now. Drop by my site, I do have to spend a lot more time posting there, than here, and therefore, it's usually more timely. -a

----------------------------------------------
My response to Art:
What about people reporting it taking a long time switching between 2D and 3D whereby menus are frozen?

Also, I think you posted on your blog that the lumens when watching 3D (without glasses) was low in comparison to the projector having 2000 lumens and that you were going to ask about them offering an option of a brighter 3D picture mode for people to choose from that takes more advantage of the 2000 lumens?

Re: "We did the measurement of the latest unit of W7000 and W6000 we have, and the result shows that they are about the same", it would be nice if they indicated what firmware version the W7000 they did the test on had (if it was more recent than 1.0 firmware that people on the forum received).

Can you also ask them how to get into the service menu?
post #232 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, I think he asked the most important questions for now as I believe the 3D brightness has been answered by Zombie's measurements. For me if the blacks are as good as the W6000 that is about all I believe we can expect with the same chip. Perhaps some iris improvements would have been nice but maybe they are happy with the last model or that is all they can do with it.

Now if this unit had user FW updates it would be a no brainer. Still considering the 9500 from Acer but clearly this is a far more capable unit in most areas.
post #233 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Hey, I think he asked the most important questions for now as I believe the 3D brightness has been answered by Zombie's measurements. For me if the blacks are as good as the W6000 that is about all I believe we can expect with the same chip. Perhaps some iris improvements would have been nice but maybe they are happy with the last model or that is all they can do with it.

Now if this unit had user FW updates it would be a no brainer. Still considering the 9500 from Acer but clearly this is a far more capable unit in most areas.

I don't understand how zombie's measurements answered my/Art's question?
3D mode @ D65 = 894 Lumens (Normal)

So 894 is the max lumens we can get in 3D mode? why so low with a 2000 lumen projector???
post #234 of 3811 Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I don't understand how zombie's measurements answered my/Art's question?
3D mode @ D65 = 894 Lumens (Normal)

So 894 is the max lumens we can get in 3D mode? why so low with a 2000 lumen projector???

I believe Jason measured this one to be the brightest, but I could be wrong and now I am getting tired and have had a few adult beverages so I could be talking out my rear end. I am sure this will be good with current units unlike Art's engineering model with which he found more lumens as well.
post #235 of 3811 Old 12-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uk price of this PJ ?
post #236 of 3811 Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The highly rated Optoma ZD-201 DLP Link glasses I ordered from Amazon UK showed up today (not available in U.S.). Now all I need is BenQ to issue a firmware update for the W7000 that fixes the issues and start shipping projectors with it installed then I'll buy the BenQ and be able to use these glasses...
post #237 of 3811 Old 12-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Just curious in what areas it is clearly far more capable than the Acer 9500. I know it should be since the price is a lot higher. Doesn't sound like blacks are better.
post #238 of 3811 Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Just got a w7000 on boxing day for a very good price to replace my old Optoma hd65. I find the image clearer and brighter on my 150" 1.1 gain screen than the hd65. I did notice while watching wide screen 2:35 movies that on the top and bottom of the screen there is a 1 inch area that goes all the way across the screen and looks like a level bubble moving around during bright action scenes. Is this normal for a 1080p dlp projector?
post #239 of 3811 Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

Just curious in what areas it is clearly far more capable than the Acer 9500. I know it should be since the price is a lot higher. Doesn't sound like blacks are better.

Oh, I missed this. Let's see, better lens shift that actually makes it more shelf mountable, for sure a higher quality lens, a full CMS available for the user for calibration, and of course it is priced much higher which means it is better right? But seriously I would hope that it would have higher contrast and better blacks ( based on the W6000) but this is not proving out at all. At least not yet. And much to my dismay after speaking with BenQ support if I bought the unit and it had problems out of the box, they will fix it but I pay shipping to them. The Acer, problems out of the box they pay all shipping from what I have read.

Now having said all of that, I was ready to buy this unit and be done with it. I even lost out on the Acer 9500 while it was on sale waiting for reviews of this one. It appears both the 9500 and W7000 use a DC2 so it is up to what the manufacturer does with what they have to make the most of it. Right now, the 9500, despite some hiccups seems to be doing it better for about $1K less. I would be very happy to hear opinions to the contrary from happy W7000 owners. For me, at this price BenQ needs to offer a better warranty and better support. In other words, when I called BenQ support, I was happy to get hold of someone relatively quickly but his answers were far from desirable and made for a no sale. Maybe that will change soon but in the meantime I am looking to snatch a 9500 if I can get it on sale because I am not sure that is the one for me either, but close.
post #240 of 3811 Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM

January 2nd, 2012 Art Feierman
Greetings and Happy New Year!

OK, I got distracted with all the holiday activities. *Let me bring you all up to speed on what I finally heard back from BenQ, in terms of answers to my questions.

Lot’s of hopefully really good news:

I’ll run though a number of items I mentioned to them, and their response.

First, regarding the dip we found in the W7000′s cyan secondary color. * *BenQ says that is corrected in the January firmware. *That required Mike to go into the CMS to get a good calibration, something we normally don’t do.

Black Level not as good as the W6000: Their exact response: *”We did the measurement of the latest unit of W7000 and W6000 we have, and the result shows that they are about the same”

We expect that “about the same”, means the W7000 is at least as good, so we’ll cross our fingers until we get to test the new firmware.

Next: *When exiting 3D, found back in 2D with the lamp flickering: *BenQ response: *Fixed on the mass production units.

Aspect Ratio squished with DirecTV This turned out to be interesting, and not BenQ’s fault. *Out here, just about the same time the W7000 arrived, DirecTV changed their Guide and menu systems to HD resolution (finally after all these years). *Seems they are the cause of this problem. *I’ve seen this aspect ratio shift half a dozen times now, (mostly on CNBC, but not only), and I’ve now seen it do it on the Mitsubishi HC7800D, and also my 2 year old Sony LCDTV (which has never done anything like this before.

So, we can cross that one off the list.

Next:

Switching to User 1, all the settings seemed to be replaced by defaults. (temporarily, then upon power down and back up, your settings return)… *Response: *Will be fixed in next version F/W in Jan’12

Finally, as some of you know, BenQ has provided a small first shipment of projectors to dealers. *My understanding is that those units do not have all of the issues above addressed.

And that raised this big question: *What about the folks buying the early (late Dec.) projectors, in terms of getting the new firmware.

Good news there, too: The written word from BenQ: *”We will provide the FW upgrade service for those customers who buy the first batch projectors. Not a problem.”

(Hooray!) *I expected no less, of course.

I’ve written before, about BenQ being one of the more responsive companies out there – specifically several years back (in the 720p days), they had a serious lamp issue with their PE7700. They took care of everyone, upgrading every projector and replacing every lamp, where the problem showed up (and that was most of the projectors shipped the first 6 months (the lamps lasted, typically 500+ hours, not 2000, but that still means it took many months before anyone was aware of the issue. *BenQ even paid shipping for everyone to send in their PE7700s for upgrade!

That folks is it! * As predicted in the first blog, almost all the problems were of the nature of being the kind of problems that show up in engineering samples, that we expect are fixed by full production.

W7000 Projector - Killer on NFL football!

Of these, the most critical, by far, is the black levels. Black levels were a particular strength of the W6000 (along with brightness), offering probably the best blacks of any DLP home theater projector under $3000 last year, but not quite up to, say the Epson “UB” projectors like the 8700UB.

If the W7000 can match the W6000 in terms of blacks, it certainly will have to be considered one of the top performing projectors anywhere near the price.

And that takes me to talking about the formal review itself, which, but for these issues, should have published more than a week ago. *Instead, I’ve been focusing on these blogs to keep you all up to speed. *Here’s the plan going forward.

1. *Parts of the review are already completed, and will post in the next 48 hours. *Unfortunately, some critical sections will have to wait until I can get the firmware upgraded.

BenQ W7000 - image from the movie Red

2. *Going up first will be “most” of the Overview page (index), the Physical Tour page, the Performance page, parts of the Image Quality page (but not Black levels / shadow detail) which will have to wait for the firmware. *I will also put up the calibration page, although that likely will have some changes with the new firmware. *Hopefully, the new firmware will only require resetting the CMS (taking out the Cyan changes), and that the remaining settings will then provide the same results. *It may turn out that a new calibration will be needed to end up with the proper grayscale calibration.

For those of you who like to check out all the images, the photo shoot is long ago complete, so just about all of the images except those specifically used for discussions on black levels and shadow detail, should also be posted.

My hope will be that I can get firmware next week (or even this week?). *As soon as BenQ says “ok” I’ll make the 20 mile drive to their offices in Irvine CA, and get that firmware.) *My hope would be to have the review completed within 72 hours of getting the firmware!

That’s it folks, best we can do. *I’ll also be posting a “First Look” blog review of that Mitsubishi HC7800D, also hopefully in the next 48, and will endevour to have the full Mitsubishi review up over the weekend or next Monday.

Finally, a partial Summary page will also go up.

BUT! * A final determination as to whether the W7000 will qualify for a Hot Product Award, a Special Interest Award, or no award at all, will have to wait until I’ve had a close look at the next firmware.

And that folks, is it for now! *-art

PS. *one more time – Happy New Year
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page