Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3794 Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I see them but after 200 hours they have either diminished (tamed a bit) or that I'm just more used to them????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3794 Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

I see them but after 200 hours they have either diminished (tamed a bit) or that I'm just more used to them????
not sure I've seen them before so not sure if they'll be annoying enough to "ruin" the experience. some people rave against it like it's the worst thing ever, others say they're only a small annoyance that is rarely seen anyway.
it seems everything in the a/v world comes with two completely opposing opinions!
post #2613 of 3794 Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

they're definitely there but ruin your experience??? I wouldn't go that far but they are a bit annoying....at times but the DLP picture looks pretty cool. I can't stop raving about its colour and overall look.
post #2614 of 3794 Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
Have never ever seen them. Never. Maybe I'm lucky, but nobody who has ever been in my theater has ever mentioned seeing them either. And that's two home theaters in two homes in about 8 years. And 3 dlp projectors. Talking about a zillion sporting events and movies etc etc.

I must have 1080p
post #2615 of 3794 Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
I'm looking for my first home theater projector and the W7000 is on my list of maybe's right now. My biggest concern is if it will be too bright for my setup. I'm finishing my basement right now and will have a semi dedicated theater room. Not fully darkened or sound proofed, but pretty decent.

Here is my setup:
- 17' x 10'9"
- 7' ceiling
- I will be ceiling mounting the projector at 15' (can mount between 14-15' depending on which projector I go with)
- screen size will be 100" 16:9
- planning on purchasing the reference studio 4k screen 1.0 gain
- sitting about 13' from screen
- fully light controlled
- dark screen wall, medium color for rest of walls, ceiling and floor
- don't care about 3-d, may use it occasionally for niece/nephew

Using the elite projector calculator it shows best mode (low lamp), 29.5fL (22fL @ 500 hours) for a 15ft throw, 1.23x zoom, 100" screen (16:9). It appears that the brightness may be to high. I'm not sure how accurate the calculator is or where the 900 lumens number comes from. Is that a number that was found after testing the W7000 for actual lumen output?

What do you guys think? Too bright for my setup or not?
Thx

My HT
post #2616 of 3794 Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

At 100" I say yes a bit on the bright side. I'm at 16'.5" at 120" and its a light cannon. You will love the 3D performance, lacks a bit with 2D but after calibration it becomes quite acceptable, don't let the negative reading of black level keep you from buying the W7000 it's very nice. Only thing to note is the issues with Iris control, it seams to be finicky at times. I've had to sutdown my W7000 once to re-set the issue and that seams to work fine. Hope Ben Q has a firmware fix for this, Aside from that its solid enjoy!!!!!
post #2617 of 3794 Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedhel View Post

I'm looking for my first home theater projector and the W7000 is on my list of maybe's right now. My biggest concern is if it will be too bright for my setup. I'm finishing my basement right now and will have a semi dedicated theater room. Not fully darkened or sound proofed, but pretty decent.
Here is my setup:
- 17' x 10'9"
- 7' ceiling
- I will be ceiling mounting the projector at 15' (can mount between 14-15' depending on which projector I go with)
- fully light controlled
Using the elite projector calculator it shows best mode (low lamp), 29.5fL (22fL @ 500 hours) for a 15ft throw, 1.23x zoom, 100" screen (16:9). It appears that the brightness may be to high. I'm not sure how accurate the calculator is or where the 900 lumens number comes from. Is that a number that was found after testing the W7000 for actual lumen output?
Thx

I have found that to get a good estimate of numbers, you have to do it yourself. So many variables, and everyone numbers will be different. But I had a 1.1 gain SI 4K screen paired with the W7000 for about 4 months. I found the brightness acceptable. I like to watch my movies between 16-20ftL and everything else 50+ftL. I don't want to watch everything in the darkness. Now, I use my 120in HP screen with a 2.4 gain. I get up to 90ftL on this screen, which is excellent because I can always keep the lights on. Just had my little cousins bday party and they had every light on and it was no problem with the extra lumens. However, the brightness can be too much, but I have a JVC coming for my 2D blu rays. 3D is perfect with the W7000 in this screen tho. If I wasn't getting a JVC, I would use a bigger neutral gain screen to balance out the brightness
post #2618 of 3794 Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedhel View Post

Here is my setup:
- 17' x 10'9"
- 7' ceiling
- fully light controlled
Thx

I have a 119" High Power screen (2.8 Gain) and do not find it to bright. Where I sit I likely am getting around 2 gain off the screen. Just put it in Economic mode for the lamp and I am sure you will not find it to bright. The bulb will dim over time and you will be glad that it has the brightness. Here are the problems I have faced so far with Benq.
1. Iris is makes noise. (hear it during quiet moments only: like fade to black )
2. Twice my Iris has closed and I got a total black screen. This has happened when playing Black Ops 2 on the xbox.
3. Had to adjust the picture on the screen. It tends to drop and I have to re-center the picture to the screen.

I also have a JVC RS-1 for the last 5 1/2 years and have them stacked and find the Benq to be brighter and sharper than the JVC and the JVC has a bit of edge in the blackness. If my kids are watching TV on the projector; I find myself sometimes looking to see which projector is on.
post #2619 of 3794 Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob47v View Post

it becomes quite acceptable, don't let the negative reading of black level keep you from buying the W7000 it's very nice.!

Agreed. You only really notice the deeper blacks when you switch to a projector that can do deeper blacks. If you have nothing to compare it to, it will look fine. But I do love deep blacks like I like my bottom end! (That's bass level, gutter thinkers tongue.gif, or how deep the bass can dig and yes I elevate the low Hz db. I love a house curve.)
post #2620 of 3794 Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
do any of you use a logitech remote along with this projector? I cannot, for the life of me, get it to work through the 'activities' tab on the Harmony One. It will turn the system and all the components on but it either sends the command to change HDMI inputs too quickly or is not being registered by the projector, and I have to constantly go back and set it to the correct input myself. If someone has this figured out, please share your settings, thanks.
post #2621 of 3794 Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Harmony 900 works, no issues.
post #2622 of 3794 Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

do any of you use a logitech remote along with this projector? I cannot, for the life of me, get it to work through the 'activities' tab on the Harmony One. It will turn the system and all the components on but it either sends the command to change HDMI inputs too quickly or is not being registered by the projector, and I have to constantly go back and set it to the correct input myself. If someone has this figured out, please share your settings, thanks.

My harmony one works fine with the w7000. You may want to try posting your question in the harmony one thread. They are very knowledgeable over there
post #2623 of 3794 Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post

My harmony one works fine with the w7000. You may want to try posting your question in the harmony one thread. They are very knowledgeable over there

did you change any of the default settings, like the Power On delay? I thought asking here would be better than the general owners thread in the remote forum given that not everyone there has this display device.
post #2624 of 3794 Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob47v View Post

At 100" I say yes a bit on the bright side. I'm at 16'.5" at 120" and its a light cannon. You will love the 3D performance, lacks a bit with 2D but after calibration it becomes quite acceptable, don't let the negative reading of black level keep you from buying the W7000 it's very nice. Only thing to note is the issues with Iris control, it seams to be finicky at times. I've had to sutdown my W7000 once to re-set the issue and that seams to work fine. Hope Ben Q has a firmware fix for this, Aside from that its solid enjoy!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have found that to get a good estimate of numbers, you have to do it yourself. So many variables, and everyone numbers will be different. But I had a 1.1 gain SI 4K screen paired with the W7000 for about 4 months. I found the brightness acceptable. I like to watch my movies between 16-20ftL and everything else 50+ftL. I don't want to watch everything in the darkness. Now, I use my 120in HP screen with a 2.4 gain. I get up to 90ftL on this screen, which is excellent because I can always keep the lights on. Just had my little cousins bday party and they had every light on and it was no problem with the extra lumens. However, the brightness can be too much, but I have a JVC coming for my 2D blu rays. 3D is perfect with the W7000 in this screen tho. If I wasn't getting a JVC, I would use a bigger neutral gain screen to balance out the brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by schm66 View Post

I have a 119" High Power screen (2.8 Gain) and do not find it to bright. Where I sit I likely am getting around 2 gain off the screen. Just put it in Economic mode for the lamp and I am sure you will not find it to bright. The bulb will dim over time and you will be glad that it has the brightness. Here are the problems I have faced so far with Benq.
1. Iris is makes noise. (hear it during quiet moments only: like fade to black )
2. Twice my Iris has closed and I got a total black screen. This has happened when playing Black Ops 2 on the xbox.
3. Had to adjust the picture on the screen. It tends to drop and I have to re-center the picture to the screen.
I also have a JVC RS-1 for the last 5 1/2 years and have them stacked and find the Benq to be brighter and sharper than the JVC and the JVC has a bit of edge in the blackness. If my kids are watching TV on the projector; I find myself sometimes looking to see which projector is on.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to pull the trigger by tomorrow while all the black friday/cyber monday deals are on. I haven't decided on a projector yet, but I'm close... and exhausted.

My HT
post #2625 of 3794 Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had any issues with this projector synching up with the Motorola DCH3200 cable box? my provider is Comcast and I have had no issues hooking this cable box up with my previous benq PE8700 projector but this one will NOT recognize it. I tried 2 different boxes and its the same problem in both cases. There's a newer box that comcast has released but I'd rather keep these boxes if I could. Anyway, Im wondering if this an issue with my specific projector or if others are having this issue as well.
post #2626 of 3794 Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM

I see crosstalk with original glasses of benq w7000.

original picture with out 3d.

3d top/bottom with crosstalk.

The glasses i use:

I also use htpc as player (ati 4890, mpc-hc, power dvd12) and when i playing mkv (sbs-top/bottom) every time i see crosstalk.
I never tried blu-ray player (frame packing)

I dont know if i have defect unit, or my glasses have problem (both couples)
My benq has the last firmware and it is calibrated.
I tried playing at 24hz and 60 hz.
when i play mkv top/bottom, i see subtitles (external srt) in both eyes.
Every crosstalk test i used, i saw crosstalk.

I should try a bluray blayer, other glasses. ot what. ?
post #2627 of 3794 Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Agreed. You only really notice the deeper blacks when you switch to a projector that can do deeper blacks. If you have nothing to compare it to, it will look fine. But I do love deep blacks like I like my bottom end! (That's bass level, gutter thinkers tongue.gif, or how deep the bass can dig and yes I elevate the low Hz db. I love a house curve.)

How would you compare the blacks of the W7000 to the Epson 8350?

My HT
post #2628 of 3794 Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

I would say the W7000 is better at blacks than the 8350. Neither can touch my 8500Ub though.
post #2629 of 3794 Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemos View Post

I see crosstalk with original glasses of benq w7000.
original picture with out 3d.

3d top/bottom with crosstalk.

The glasses i use:

I also use htpc as player (ati 4890, mpc-hc, power dvd12) and when i playing mkv (sbs-top/bottom) every time i see crosstalk.
I never tried blu-ray player (frame packing)
I dont know if i have defect unit, or my glasses have problem (both couples)
My benq has the last firmware and it is calibrated.
I tried playing at 24hz and 60 hz.
when i play mkv top/bottom, i see subtitles (external srt) in both eyes.
Every crosstalk test i used, i saw crosstalk.
I should try a bluray blayer, other glasses. ot what. ?
I would say to check your glasses I'm using True depth with no crosstalk at all, and I'm sensitive to it. Its just that DLP's can't crosstalk their refresh rate is tooooo and I mean tooooo high! Now LCD's and Lcos well their still having problems. Now here is a quest I know single chip DLP's don't crosstalk but how about 3 Chip Dlp's?
post #2630 of 3794 Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 AM

did anyone ever did some crosstalk test. ? I dont mean watch movies, but 3d crosstalk test with some videos like that i used.

crosstalk is more visible when you look from the edges of the glass. In fact, only the center of glass (a litlle spot) is blocking the other image. The 70-80% of surface of glass, can not block the image, so i believe the crosstalk is big.

Is a dlp-link problem, or the shutter glass does not close completely. ?

Please, someone do 3d crosstalk test and look with edge of glass. I must find out if the problem is the glasses (both couples), or benq .
post #2631 of 3794 Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 AM

Liked: 12
Hi W7000 owners,

as I have one too now, I woul appreciate if someone that has properly calibrated his unit (maybe Zombie?), could send me his settings? Unfortunately, I have no possibility of calibration measurement... I did a calibration by eye, but have the feeling that it could be still better...

Another thing: I disabled 'Brilliant color' in 3D mode, as I have the impression brightness is increased without it. Moreover, 'Brilliant color' gives me a very 'yellowish' appearance, which I don't like. But by disabling 'Brilliant color' I have to increase 'Red' quite a bit to get the impression of good colors. With that, it seems still brighter than with 'Brilliant color' on.

So, if someone has calibrated his unit in 3D mode without 'Brilliant color' and could post his color settings, that would be perfect for me!!biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance,
Mustang
post #2632 of 3794 Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang84 View Post

Hi W7000 owners,
as I have one too now, I woul appreciate if someone that has properly calibrated his unit (maybe Zombie?), could send me his settings? Unfortunately, I have no possibility of calibration measurement... I did a calibration by eye, but have the feeling that it could be still better...
Another thing: I disabled 'Brilliant color' in 3D mode, as I have the impression brightness is increased without it. Moreover, 'Brilliant color' gives me a very 'yellowish' appearance, which I don't like. But by disabling 'Brilliant color' I have to increase 'Red' quite a bit to get the impression of good colors. With that, it seems still brighter than with 'Brilliant color' on.
So, if someone has calibrated his unit in 3D mode without 'Brilliant color' and could post his color settings, that would be perfect for me!!biggrin.gif
Thanks in advance,
Mustang

i think you'll find that the consensus on sharing calibration settings is flawed at best.

differences in lighting conditions, screens, lamp life, etc make one person's settings different enough that it won't be much help.

you basically have a few options: 1) get a calibration disc for $25 (i recommend the disney WOW disc, but there are others) or 2) pay a professional ISF certified calibrator to come to your house and do the full monty ($300+ from what i've read).

some of the w7000 reviews posted on various projector sites do list their calibration settings for brightness/tint/etc..

post #2633 of 3794 Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

i think you'll find that the consensus on sharing calibration settings is flawed at best.

differences in lighting conditions, screens, lamp life, etc make one person's settings different enough that it won't be much help.

you basically have a few options: 1) get a calibration disc for $25 (i recommend the disney WOW disc, but there are others) or 2) pay a professional ISF certified calibrator to come to your house and do the full monty ($300+ from what i've read).

some of the w7000 reviews posted on various projector sites do list their calibration settings for brightness/tint/etc..

Or the best option is to buy calibrating equipment and do it yourself
post #2634 of 3794 Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Yes.
Early builds with 1.00 had a mapping issue with hdmi. Thus the 1.03 update was the fix.
I freaked out the same as you when I saw my firmware:)
I confirmed with two different techs that the information about the new builds and 1.00 is correct.
I've had mine for about two weeks with no issues.
Can tell you this also.
I had the 1.03 with my last 7000 that I returned due to flicker on high lamp.
The fan noise and iris is so much quieter on this 7000 than the one I returned.

You sure about this? I called BenQ USA tech support and they seem to think that 1.03 is the latest firmware.
post #2635 of 3794 Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else's projector have a constant high pitched noise when the projector is left OFF (in standby mode)? The sound stops as soon as the projector is powered on but it is ever present when it is powered down. Just wanting to confirm that this is a normal quirk.
post #2636 of 3794 Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

Does anyone else's projector have a constant high pitched noise when the projector is left OFF (in standby mode)? The sound stops as soon as the projector is powered on but it is ever present when it is powered down. Just wanting to confirm that this is a normal quirk.

no, mine makes no sound at all when off.

post #2637 of 3794 Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

You sure about this? I called BenQ USA tech support and they seem to think that 1.03 is the latest firmware.

Yep. Talked to two techs. They told me the same that two builds with two different firm wares.
post #2638 of 3794 Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

no, mine makes no sound at all when off.

It doesnt bother me at all that it makes this sound while in standby but is it indicative of a potentially larger problem soon to develop? should I contact benq about a swap?

edit: also, i noticed that the IRE options in the 'advanced picture quality controls' menu are blacked out for the projector on the hdmi inputs. The manual makes no indication whether it is supposed to be unselectable on the HDMI inputs. Is that normal as well?
post #2639 of 3794 Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up an Oppo 103. Anyone who wants to turned there cable into a 1080p blu ray quality should get one. Also, it turns your cable into 3D also, with good depth.
post #2640 of 3794 Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM

too bad they remove iso support if not i would buy it as well.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page