Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 392
http://www.benq.com/product/projector/w7000/

Official BenQ W7000 owners thread. I'll post calibration tips, settings, etc once we start getting some feedback this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved 1
post #3 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Horrible shots with iphone, ignore the wall I moved my shelf down to accomodate the projector Without tweaking any settings the colors are surprisingly pretty nice out of the box, much better than the HD33. I definitely can notice a difference in output between the BenQ and the Epson 3010, the 3010 was much brighter in 3D IMO but so far I have seen 0 crosstalk on the BenQ and the FI is a nice touch.

post #4 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quick notes as I've spent about 30 minutes with it so far:

-FI stays enabled for low/medium/high in 3D. Without FI you can notice a difference in smoothness in monsters vs. aliens
-My firmware is 1.00
-If you play with the 3D settings manually say to side-by-side or top-to-bottom the projector acts like it wants to lock up and takes a very long time to correct itself. When set to auto, it is taking about 25-30 seconds to display a 3D picture from my Samsung bluray player
-My viewsonic/optoma glasses (DLP-Link) work fine with this projector
-3D looks good so far with no ghosting in Monsters vs. Aliens on the usual scenes.

More to come.
post #5 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Happy to report that all DirecTV channels work perfect in "auto" mode. When swiching from a 3D station back to a 2D takes wayyyyyyyy too long so I hope they fix it with an update (assuming this is what Art was referring to.)

Switching the color temp from normal to "warm" has made the picture much nicer without doing any calibrations, I will be interested to see what people use for final calibration settings. I have a meter and software but will be oging out of town for the holidays so hopefully someone else can do some preliminary calibration steps.

Interesting thing to note, on some source material without FI the image appears ja tad erky on my screen. It is almost like the projector is lagging a little bit but I think it is because FI is fairly well done on this unit. Not a big deal because on low the picture motion looks great.

I really can't describe how awesome the colors look on this projector outside of a lot of them have a "sizzle" or "neon" look to them. I am not sure if calibration will lower some of that effect but I am fairly pleased thus far with 2D on my 140" screen. I am not going to go into full comment on black levels yet because I haven't watched enough material, but I'd say initial observations are they around the Epson 3010 territory.

Going to dive into more 3D movies and gaming so I will post back later. If you have any 3D movies you want me to test let me know.
post #6 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
why is this in the 3000$ and above section?

(fifth element)
post #7 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Switching the color temp from normal to "warm" has made the picture much nicer without doing any calibrations, I will be interested to see what people use for final calibration settings. I have a meter and software but will be oging out of town for the holidays so hopefully someone else can do some preliminary calibration steps.

I really can't describe how awesome the colors look on this projector outside of a lot of them have a "sizzle" or "neon" look to them. I am not sure if calibration will lower some of that effect but I am fairly pleased thus far with 2D on my 140" screen. I am not going to go into full comment on black levels yet because I haven't watched enough material, but I'd say initial observations are they around the Epson 3010 territory.

once I get it setup, I'll run through a basic calibration and post the reports in the thread. I am curious to see how the Gray Scale is out of the box.

I'm jumping right into 3D once I get the basics setup - going right for the juggler - all the tough scenes in Sammy's Adventures, M v A, Despicable Me, etc. I'll have through the glasses screenshots by tonight.
post #8 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The initial previews of the Benq has me just about ready to purchase the Acer H9500BD. Kraine bought one for his personal use and claims it has the best 2D to 3D conversion of anything he's seen so far and he's seen lots! For me its been one big disappointment after another -- the best pjs at 2D more or less fall down in 3D and the best at 3D are not so good at 2D. Too bad the RS-45 has problems with 3D because I would have bought one.
post #9 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

The initial previews of the Benq has me just about ready to purchase the Acer H9500BD. Kraine bought one for his personal use and claims it has the best 2D to 3D conversion of anything he's seen so far and he's seen lots! For me its been one big disappointment after another -- the best pjs at 2D more or less fall down in 3D and the best at 3D are not so good at 2D. Too bad the RS-45 has problems with 3D because I would have bought one.

you shouldn't be surprised there isn't 1 model that's going to nail the best of 2D and 3D based on your high expectations.

The 9500 is interesting, but the potential RBE and limited placement on my HP screen makes it worth checking out the W7000. The W7000 lens shift is a match made in heaven for the HP screen.

pick it up and let's compare.
post #10 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
4x CW is a downer to me which is what has me thinking twice about the Acer, especially when a projector has an IRIS. In my experience, the darker the blacks, the more annoying the RBE is (the more perceptibly brighter it flashes).

I'm just playing the waiting game for now, then I may grab me that ACER if I find a good deal (say sub $1400).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When people report reviews can you please include: screen size, aspect ratio, gain, throw distance, CIH? Also stating which picture mode you're using is a good idea

Is the Dynamic Iris available in 3D? When you're watching 3D there is a 3D picture mode and it cannot be changed?

I'd be curious if someone plays the opening scene from one of the Star Wars movies with the dark background or some dark scenes from Fifth Element if the blacks subjectively look black or dark grey to them

Anyone who has the projector, can you comment on what you find when you try what Art stated and post results?:

Back to 3D and brightness. I’m hoping this will change, but the single 3D mode that exists isn’t near as bright on the screen as the brightest 2D mode, and that’s before you put on the glasses. This may well change.

So is it true that without putting glasses on and having a 3D image on screen it is noticeably more dim than the brightest 2D mode?

Art also mentions there is no adjustment on the BenQ glasses. Are adjustments available on ANY DLP-Link glasses since I'm guessing any DLP-Link glasses should be usable with the W7000?
post #12 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It would also be helpful if Zombie can measure native contrast and dynamic contrast.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It would also be helpful if Zombie can measure native contrast and dynamic contrast.

when Mark comes over on Sunday, we'll try to get this done since we'll have the W7000 lined up next to the RS45 and HW30.
post #14 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

when Mark comes over on Sunday, we'll try to get this done since we'll have the W7000 lined up next to the RS45 and HW30.

What screen size/gain/aspect will you guys be using?
post #15 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

1.2 gain, 140" although the final screen it will end up on is a HP 120".

Fun fact, I just had a friend from work come over to see the projector and his mouth was open the entire time. I showed him blurays, the xbox 360, and even DirecTV he was blown away compared to his old Panasonic projector. He is not a huge black-levels guy so he didn't say anything, but for the "pop" and "wow" factor he was simply amazed.

I won't lie, this DLP puts on a good show if the source content allows it to. I did notice some judder with FI on with Transformers 3 on bluray but it is the first I've really seen it.

3D is not as bright as the Epson (at least not from what I remember) but the color saturation looks wonderful on the BenQ. The 3D bug is very, very annoying and I am really hoping BenQ fixes it. When swapping between 3D modes it can take up to a minute sometimes. I tried playing gears of war 3 on my 360 and putting the projector into side-by-side took well over 6 minutes to finally get it working because every time you swap to a new 3D mode it pauses for about a minute and other times it doesn't even change modes.
post #16 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Liked: 20
I think Zombie has a 28 ft wide Da-lite HP 2.8, maybe a tad less wide than that.

Let's initially try and keep this thread to a discussion of the new BenQ W7000 instead of a wow, based on whatever, I am gonna buy me something else.

It will take us several days to get a full handle on this projector and I won't start working on it with Zombie until Sunday noon. We will then do some A/Bs with some other projectors as well if we can keep the various different glasses and 3D glasses either full or straight, respectively. I plan on working with this projector with Zombie for about 36 straight hours from Sunday morning through Monday evening catching a few ZZZs late Sunday night. By the time I drive home Monday night we should have a pretty good handle on it.

Tom Huffman and I will do a factory reset and full calibration of it on the fourth with full before and after calibration reports.

BTW. I want to express my appreciation to Roger G., the Commissioner of the NFL, for moving almost all of the NFL games from Sunday to Saturday, so that I can do our testing without missing any of the games. My wife didn't understand that Roger made Saturday into Sunday, and has me going to the ballet Saturday afternoon and and dinner on Saturday night.
post #17 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

What screen size/gain/aspect will you guys be using?

My screen is 142" 16:9 Dalite Cinema Contour with the original 2.8 gain material. My projectors are dead center on the screen for max gain.

I just set it up and immediately went for Sammy's Adventures in 3D, easily the toughest disk of all my 3D blurays (30+). This is the 6th 3D projector I've used and the 3D is REMARKABLE! I usually don't post in caps, but this is unbelievable..

Some quick impressions on 3D:
  • The brightness in 3D on the HP screen will make you squint - the brightness through the glasses is fantastic.. exceeds my expectations by a mile.

• There is absolutely NO crosstalk to be seen.. NONE.. not 1%, nothing.. and I can prove it. I can't believe I am finally watching 1080P 3D with no ghosting.

• I love the FI in 3D. The image becomes rock solid and absolutely no flicker whatsover. If you guys saw this next to my old RS40 /RS50's 3D, it would be quite obvious what the difference is.

• Razor Sharp - I have the W6000 and SP890, same lens, so I expected the same on the W7000.

• Color out the box - very nice, I'll do a calibration over the weekend

• BenQ 3D glasses - I like these a lot, even compared to all my other glasses. I find the tint neutral and colors through the glasses look very similar to the 2D version.

For the last hour of watching various 3D scenes, this is one of the most natural, easy on the eyes 3D viewing i've seen yet.
post #18 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I won't lie, this DLP puts on a good show if the source content allows it to. I did notice some judder with FI on with Transformers 3 on bluray but it is the first I've really seen it.

PowerDvd->settings->information reports the Transformers frame rate to be 23Hz.
HTPC users need to manually change the refresh from the default 60Hz to 23/24Hz.

MS was very late to use HDMI with the 360. Can it even do 24Hz? (slap!)
post #19 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
Mine is unpacked and setup on my table. Kinda nervous to fire it up. My trusty Sanyo Z-5 almost let out a wimper when I moved it to the corner. Will post reaction later tonight.
post #20 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 20
Only a 12 ft wide screen (less 2 inches)?

I think he likes it.

I am bringing a second pair of the BenQ DLP link glasses with me.
post #21 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed zombie, I am liking this projector so much that I really have no desire to open the JVC other than the fact the BenQ cannot fill my home theater screen.

Can you give us a break down on the black levels? On my screen I think they are decent and go back and forth. Some things look really dark and other times they definitely have a gray huy to them.

If you have an Xbox 360 or PS3 download Sonic Generations demo and put it in 3D mode, the colors will make your eyes explode I haven't done any official tests but input lag feels low on this unit which is definitely a good thing.
post #22 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed zombie, I am liking this projector so much that I really have no desire to open the JVC other than the fact the BenQ cannot fill my home theater screen.

Can you give us a break down on the black levels? On my screen I think they are decent and go back and forth. Some things look really dark and other times they definitely have a gray huy to them.

If you have an Xbox 360 or PS3 download Sonic Generations demo and put it in 3D mode, the colors will make your eyes explode I haven't done any official tests but input lag feels low on this unit which is definitely a good thing.

I'm used to the JVC RS50's blacks, so i'm a little spoiled there. Then again, the RS50 is about 1/2 as bright as the W7000. Even in low lamp in 2D, it might be too bright on my HP, I might have to knock it down a bit with an ND filter or raise it higher to take off some of the gain.

I'll check out some 2D later tonight, right now i'm cruising through my 12TB NAS, randomly picking 3D movies to watch.

btw, it takes my Himedia 900b 3D media streamer to go from 2D to 3D about 30-45 seconds, but once it locks, it's fine.
post #23 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Forgot to mention, you can turn this thing on and fire up 3D without any warmup and I've yet to see it ghost.

I have been gaming most the night and am about to fire up some movies. Another game that shows off color reproduction on this unit is rayman origins. It almost looks like there is a sheet of glass on my screen because the colors are so sharp.
post #24 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:

My screen is 142" 16:9 Dalite Cinema Contour with the original 2.8 gain material. My projectors are dead center on the screen for max gain.

I just set it up and immediately went for Sammy's Adventures in 3D, easily the toughest disk of all my 3D blurays (30+). This is the 6th 3D projector I've used and the 3D is REMARKABLE! I usually don't post in caps, but this is unbelievable..

Some quick impressions on 3D:
  • The brightness in 3D on the HP screen will make you squint - the brightness through the glasses is fantastic.. exceeds my expectations by a mile.

• There is absolutely NO crosstalk to be seen.. NONE.. not 1%, nothing.. and I can prove it. I can't believe I am finally watching 1080P 3D with no ghosting.

• I love the FI in 3D. The image becomes rock solid and absolutely no flicker whatsover. If you guys saw this next to my old RS40 /RS50's 3D, it would be quite obvious what the difference is.

• Razor Sharp - I have the W6000 and SP890, same lens, so I expected the same on the W7000.

• Color out the box - very nice, I'll do a calibration over the weekend

• BenQ 3D glasses - I like these a lot, even compared to all my other glasses. I find the tint neutral and colors through the glasses look very similar to the 2D version.
For the last hour of watching various 3D scenes, this is one of the most natural, easy on the eyes 3D viewing i've seen yet.

Finally 3D done right! I'm grateful for your passion and astute observations.
I too have a HP screen with a ceiling mounted Mitsubishi 4000 with glass lens and DC3. Both this and the BenQ are small in size so its easy to mount the BenQ just above and behind my head.

The next question is how much of a hit there is with the 2D contrast/black level. Hopefully better than the Mitsubishi 7800 or the Sharp 17000.
post #25 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the Dynamic Iris available in 3D? When you're watching 3D there is a 3D picture mode and it cannot be changed?

I'd be curious if someone plays the opening scene from one of the Star Wars movies with the dark background or some dark scenes from Fifth Element if the blacks subjectively look black or dark grey to them

Anyone who has the projector, can you comment on what you find when you try what Art stated and post results?:

Back to 3D and brightness. I’m hoping this will change, but the single 3D mode that exists isn’t near as bright on the screen as the brightest 2D mode, and that’s before you put on the glasses. This may well change.

So is it true that without putting glasses on and having a 3D image on screen it is noticeably more dim than the brightest 2D mode?

Art also mentions there is no adjustment on the BenQ glasses. Are adjustments available on ANY DLP-Link glasses since I'm guessing any DLP-Link glasses should be usable with the W7000?

zombie10k's comments are really exciting but the problem I see is he's displaying on a 2.8 gain high power screen with the projector dead center vertically for maximum gain so for others like myself who have ceiling mounted projectors with low gain screens such a 1.0-1.3 the impression could be quite different. With this projector having 2000 lumens I still find it surprising that it isn't bright in 3D even with a large screen, especially since it's reported you cannot adjust the picture mode so I would think BenQ would have a bright 3D mode that takes advantage of the 2000 lumens.
post #26 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why can't the W7000 fill your 140" screen? Is the throw the problem whereby you can't get projector far enough from screen? I know you said you're going to 120" HP screen so am curious if throw is current issue.
post #27 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I'll check out some 2D later tonight, right now i'm cruising through my 12TB NAS, randomly picking 3D movies to watch.

4x3?
Them 4TB drives run hot and are pretty unreliable, so surely you have another 12TB offline for backup. I only have 6TB, purchased before the flood, of course.
post #28 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@ WynsWrld98 - I'll try to get to all your questions soon, I'm getting hammered with PM's asking a bunch of questions.

My main interest in this projector is for 3D, but I certainly understand not being able to run a 2 projector setup. I don't think the search for excellent, dark 2D and perfect 3D isn't going to happen in any 1 single projector this year.

The knock-out combo is likely going to be the RS45 for 2D and the W7000 for 3D. Once Mark and I have the 2 projectors side by side, we can provide more objective comments.

This is the 2nd projector i've seen with FI in 3D (Sony HW30) and I am hooked on it. It's great on the Sony and it's also great on the W7000. It's a very noticeable difference vs the judder / flicker I used to see on the RS40 and RS50. I will see what the RS45 is like and my RS55 should be here later next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

4x3?
Them 4TB drives run hot and are pretty unreliable, so surely you have another 12TB offline for backup. I only have 6TB, purchased before the flood, of course.

I run a 15 drive Dell MD1000 with a Perc 6 controller, Raid 6 w/ hot spare. They are the WD 1TB green drives, they run cooler than any drive i've used before.
post #29 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Zombie can you try the 2D to 3D conversion and give us an idea if its worthwhile or not?

Also, what are the black levels like in 3D mode. This would be an exclusive 3D projector for me. My 120" HP screen is just waiting for a 1080p 3D projector.

Are the glasses rechargeable?

Before I forget can you playback 3D material from a hard drive (computer set up for Nvidia) using PowerDVD 11 (1080p/24hz)?

Thanks
post #30 of 3811 Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Black levels look good to me in 3D, very similar to my Sony HW30 which imo, is very good in 3D.

The glasses take 2 coin batteries. These are the first DLP link glasses i've used and I really like them. I find the tint is very neutral, possibly better than any of my other glasses including the MV3D's.

BenQ W7000 - No, this is not a 2D shot, this is a photo through the glasses. Go ahead and press your nose to the screen, your not going to find what your looking for. Notice how nice the color stays through the glasses.

It is so difficult to make real changes to improve your quality of life.
Such wonderful (and funny) Christmas news.
Patience is once again rewarded.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Projectors , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page