DLP sharp with LCD/LCOS blacks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to up grade my Epson 8500ub, and would appreciate suggestions concerning which projector (under $10000K) would produce the sharpness of a DLP with the deep solid blacks of a LCD/LCOS pj. It may not exist. Note, I have no need for 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

Looking to up grade my Epson 8500ub, and would appreciate suggestions concerning which projector (under $10000K) would produce the sharpness of a DLP with the deep solid blacks of a LCD/LCOS pj. It may not exist. Note, I have no need for 3D.

This question seems entirely dependent on your setup. Light control, screen size etc. without those details I would say look at the JVC RS55 the new e-shift should help with the "DLP sharpness" especially if you are or would like to sit closer to your screen. Then you also get the best black level as well...
post #3 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selahsean View Post

This question seems entirely dependent on your setup. Light control, screen size etc. without those details I would say look at the JVC RS55 the new e-shift should help with the "DLP sharpness" especially if you are or would like to sit closer to your screen. Then you also get the best black level as well...

Fair enough. Screen is 120" Grandview tab tensioned. Room is well enclosed, however, walls are light grey with a white ceiling. I sit 14-16ft from the screen with the pj directly overhead.
post #4 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
coderguy on these forums is a huge DLP fan and he recently picked up the JVC RS45 and he loves the sharpness of the JVC vs. previous DLP's he has owned and currently owns.
post #5 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

coderguy on these forums is a huge DLP fan and he recently picked up the JVC RS45 and he loves the sharpness of the JVC vs. previous DLP's he has owned and currently owns.

Great, how do the blacks compare with Epson which I fine great in dark scenes, but the image a little washed out in brighter, no doubt due to the light colors of my room.
post #6 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

If memory serves (and I could be wrong), he owned a Benq 8750 (which I also owned at one point). If it were me, I'd want to compare JVC's new line up to the Planar 8150 or similar value/performance DLP. The Planar out performes the Benq is most area's, including sharpness and black levels. I think Kris Deering has made the switch from the Planar to either a Sony or JVC...I would look up his comments. If he hasn't made the switch, I think he's at least reviewed for Home Theater Magazine the new units and would be able to comment on a comparison to the Planar (which I think he had for his personal projector)

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #7 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I am using a JVC RS35 in my system. The Planar is a spectacular DLP though.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #8 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Can you compare the Planar to your RS35 and RS45 if you have seen one?

At some point I will look to upgrade from my RS10. I am happy with the blacks but would like to improve sharpness, motion and get that "dlp pop" while keeping case noise in the low 20's for db.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #9 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Kris,

I'd like to know if you plan on reviewing the new Benq W7000 as I'd like to know how it compares to the LS5. I saw the LS5 and thought it had a great picture with the exception of the RBE. I understand the W7000 has a faster CW so that should cure the RBE problem but I'm wondering if the blacks will be up to the LS5s level.

Walter
post #10 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Have you owned a lcd/lcos pj, and if so, can you advise if the blacks are comparable.

Also, I read awhile back that dlp had issued with a rainbow effect. Was that just for tv's? Is there a downside to up to date dlp pj technology?
post #11 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I previously had the JVC RS1, then moved to a Sharp Z15000, then an Infocus IN83. I hate auto irises so the IN83 not having one was never an issue. The black levels on the Sharp were OK but the IN83 is better, much closer to LCOS. I would still say the JVC probably had a slight edge but it was minimal.
Of course the native contrast has progressed for LCOS considerably since the RS1. I don't think the same can be said for DLP Darkchip4 native contrast. If you took out the dynamic iris out of the equation, I wonder how much real difference in native contrast there would be between an IN83, Marantz 11S2, Sim2 Nero and the Vango?

post #12 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I notice at projector central they do not do JVC pj reviews. To bad, I like the manner in which the post their findings. Any other sight(s) which may have quality unbiased reviews on the JVC's?
post #13 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

At some point I will look to upgrade from my RS10. I am happy with the blacks but would like to improve sharpness, motion and get that "dlp pop" while keeping case noise in the low 20's for db.

What other display types have a similar "pop" that DLP has ? I'm curious because I've never seen a high end home theater DLP, so I have nothing to compare to. Do plasmas have a similar "pop"... ?

I'm also confused what the term means... Someone mentioned that the OLED Hmz-t1 does not have the same "pop" that his DLP has. It's probably impossible to measure, but the black levels on that thing are better than the JVCs... and as far as I know, OLED has identical ANSI as it does on/off...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #14 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

What other display types have a similar "pop" that DLP has ? I'm curious because I've never seen a high end home theater DLP, so I have nothing to compare to. Do plasmas have a similar "pop"... ?

I'm also confused what the term means... Someone mentioned that the OLED Hmz-t1 does not have the same "pop" that his DLP has. It's probably impossible to measure, but the black levels on that thing are better than the JVCs... and as far as I know, OLED has identical ANSI as it does on/off...

For me, the "pop" means an extra sense of 3d or depth to the image. I saw a Planar 8150 very briefly a few years ago and it seemed to have that, but I really did not have the chance to test it much.

post #15 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I own a Planar PD8150. I switched to this from a JVC RS20. To be honest, the Planar does a very respectable job on blacks. The dynamic iris algorithm is one of the best in the business. I used to own a Epson 6500UB and I can say that the Planar's implementation is vastly superior. You wouldn't know the Planar was using a DI unless you were intentionally looking for it. It's never once stood out during a movie even when I was expecting it to, like during a dark to bright scene change. It does it's job as subtle as possible but yields great results at the same time. The image is much more crisp than my RS20 ever was, but I'm sure JVC's newer models fair better.
post #16 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Hey Guys,

As long as you get a JVC RS-45 with good convergence (and from the sounds of other peoples experiences, you will), it will be as sharp as many DLP's, even sharper than some of the cheaper DLP's.

I do own a JVC RS-45 right now. In the past I have owned the Mitsubishi hd1000u, hc3800, hc4000 (all DLP's). I now own a Viewsonic Pro8200 DLP. So I have owned 4 DLP's. I have seen a Benq w6000 briefly and a bunch of other DLP's. I've also owned a Sony vw70 LCOS, Epson 8500ub, Sanyo z5, and a Sanyo z4000. I know I am forgetting one or two, but those are the main ones.

Out of that entire list, I would only rate (2) projectors a tiny bit sharper over the JVC RS-45, that would be the Mits hc4000 (barely barely barely) and the Benq w6000 (barely), and they are only a tad sharper at best. The JVC is so sharp that these other two projectors will have very little advantage even in HTPC sharpness over the JVC, if even any.

The JVC is ultra-sharp.

See my post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21387038

Stand back about 2-4 feet from your monitor when looking at the above image, and that should be about how text will appear on HTPC on the JVC. Even with the above post, I couldn't capture its sharpness 100% perfectly due to my camera's limitations, but it is unbelievably sharp for an LCOS unit.

DLP vs. LCOS

It just depends what you are watching to what will be favored. DLP's are still a bit better in some games because of smoother panning and less lag, but overall the JVC is a good gaming machine (lamps are expensive though), but I still recommend a cheap DLP for gaming and the JVC for everything else. Sometimes bright scenes look better on the JVC even over a DLP, it depends on the lighting though. For poorer sources playing bright movies (think Action movies on Netflix), the DLP will usually look better, other than that the JVC RS-45 wins.

As far as black levels on these newer DLP's, they are not that great. The LS-5 and Planar 8150 and Infocus sp8602 are the only three DLP's I know of in this price range right now with decent black levels. They will not touch the JVC's black levels though.

You can't go wrong with the JVC RS-45 really, but owning 2 projectors isn't a bad idea either since cheap DLP's tend to have cheap lamps and you won't feel guilty for leaving it on all the time.

The JVC RS-45 has at least 10x the native contrast of even the high-end DLP's Native, that doesn't equate to 10x the advantage, but it is significant none-the-less. When you watch a movie like Star Wars or Harry Potter on the JVC, it is a breath-taking experience, it's not like a small improvement, it's huge even over the Epson LCD's.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #17 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I own a Planar PD8150. I switched to this from a JVC RS20. To be honest, the Planar does a very respectable job on blacks. The dynamic iris algorithm is one of the best in the business. I used to own a Epson 6500UB and I can say that the Planar's implementation is vastly superior. You wouldn't know the Planar was using a DI unless you were intentionally looking for it. It's never once stood out during a movie even when I was expecting it to, like during a dark to bright scene change. It does it's job as subtle as possible but yields great results at the same time. The image is much more crisp than my RS20 ever was, but I'm sure JVC's newer models fair better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Hey Guys,

As long as you get a JVC RS-45 with good convergence (and from the sounds of other peoples experiences, you will), it will be as sharp as many DLP's, even sharper than some of the cheaper DLP's.

I do own a JVC RS-45 right now. In the past I have owned the Mitsubishi hd1000u, hc3800, hc4000 (all DLP's). I now own a Viewsonic Pro8200 DLP. So I have owned 4 DLP's. I have seen a Benq w6000 briefly and a bunch of other DLP's. I've also owned a Sony vw70 LCOS, Epson 8500ub, Sanyo z5, and a Sanyo z4000. I know I am forgetting one or two, but those are the main ones.

Out of that entire list, I would only rate (2) projectors a tiny bit sharper over the JVC RS-45, that would be the Mits hc4000 (barely barely barely) and the Benq w6000 (barely), and they are only a tad sharper at best. The JVC is so sharp that these other two projectors will have very little advantage even in HTPC sharpness over the JVC, if even any.

The JVC is ultra-sharp.

See my post here:

Stand back about 2-4 feet from your monitor when looking at the above image, and that should be about how text will appear on HTPC on the JVC. Even with the above post, I couldn't capture its sharpness 100% perfectly due to my camera's limitations, but it is unbelievably sharp for an LCOS unit.

DLP vs. LCOS

It just depends what you are watching to what will be favored. DLP's are still a bit better in some games because of smoother panning and less lag, but overall the JVC is a good gaming machine (lamps are expensive though), but I still recommend a cheap DLP for gaming and the JVC for everything else. Sometimes bright scenes look better on the JVC even over a DLP, it depends on the lighting though. For poorer sources playing bright movies (think Action movies on Netflix), the DLP will usually look better, other than that the JVC RS-45 wins.

As far as black levels on these newer DLP's, they are not that great. The LS-5 and Planar 8150 and Infocus sp8602 are the only three DLP's I know of in this price range right now with decent black levels. They will not touch the JVC's black levels though.

You can't go wrong with the JVC RS-45 really, but owning 2 projectors isn't a bad idea either since cheap DLP's tend to have cheap lamps and you won't feel guilty for leaving it on all the time.

The JVC RS-45 has at least 10x the native contrast of even the high-end DLP's Native, that doesn't equate to 10x the advantage, but it is significant none-the-less. When you watch a movie like Star Wars or Harry Potter on the JVC, it is a breath-taking experience, it's not like a small improvement, it's huge even over the Epson LCD's.

Very interesting, thanks for the perspective guys. I will need to see these live.

post #18 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

The RS35 has better blacks and is sharper than the Planar 8150 I owned. The Planar may have been a tad brighter though. Planar did a good job with their dynamic iris system, but it does have some issues with certain material. I find the Sony dynamic system to be better in that respect. The Planar showed less banding in ramps than the JVC does, but with normal viewing material they are about the same. At the end of the day I would take the RS35 I have over the Planar, but they are both great projectors.

I have seen one RS45 for an afternoon. It was extremely sharp, which was a surprise. I owned a RS40 for a bit and the 45 was considerably sharper than it was. But focus uniformity across the screen wasn't on par with my 35, and convergence wasn't quite as good either. Black uniformity was a bit better on the 35 but on/off CR measured a bit better on the 45, which was also considerably brighter. ANSI measured quite a bit more on the 35, but neither PJ seemed to outdo the other in blacks or contrast with program material (we were running both brightness matched and switching the image rapidly with different material). From what I saw for that limited time the RS45 presents an amazing performance level for the money.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #19 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Guys,

The JVC is ultra-sharp.

See my post here:

DLP vs. LCOS

Thanks for this, and all the members input. It really helps. To summarize, the JVC will give you a sharp picture, as close to an upper DLP, with solid blacks. The blacks are as good as an Epson, but with a much sharper picture.
My main interest are movies. I don't watch tv or play games on my pj. If its a huge improvement over the 8500ub Epson in sharpness and with equal blacks, it sounds great.
post #20 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Kris, how do you think the RS45 compares to the HW30 in all those catagories that you just compared your RS35 in?

Walter
post #21 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

Kris, how do you think the RS45 compares to the HW30 in all those catagories that you just compared your RS35 in?

OK, when comparing, how would one rate the Mits 6800 or 7800 to the JVC RS45?
post #22 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, when comparing, how would one rate the Mits 6800 or 7800 to the JVC RS45?

I would rate the sharpness on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the sharpest I've experienced. The RS45 is an 8.5.

Quote:

Thanks for this, and all the members input. It really helps. To summarize, the JVC will give you a sharp picture, as close to an upper DLP, with solid blacks. The blacks are as good as an Epson, but with a much sharper picture.
My main interest are movies. I don't watch tv or play games on my pj. If its a huge improvement over the 8500ub Epson in sharpness and with equal blacks, it sounds great.

Equal blacks? No it will well outpace the 8500 in contrast and black levels..no contest there.

Remember the RS45 is comparable in this area to an RS35/25.
A JVC HD250/ RS15/RS10 has better contrast and deeper blacks than the 8500.
post #23 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

I would rate the sharpness on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the sharpest I've experienced. The RS45 is an 8.5.

Equal blacks? No it will well outpace the 8500 in contrast and black levels..no contest there.

Remember the RS45 is comparable in this area to an RS35/25.
A JVC HD250/ RS15/RS10 has better contrast and deeper blacks than the 8500.

From which pj is the sharpest you've experienced?
post #24 of 84 Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From which pj is the sharpest you've experienced?

This is my first LCOS. All of my previous projectors were DLP. The Runco Q750 is the sharpest I've seen. Followed by the Infocus SP8602 and Benq W6000.

The JVC is sharp enough not to be concerned. For what it loses to the others in sharpness, it makes up for in contrast.
post #25 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

@Others
The blacks on the RS-45 are far far better than the Epson 8500ub/8700ub/5010, there is no comparison to be honest.

The Epson blacks look flat in comparison, Harry Potter and similar movies look all 3Dish in the dark scenes on the JVC because the contrast adds so much depth. On other projectors, these types of movies look flat. On the JVC the scenes appear to have a rich dark looking sparkle to them, almost like looking at the stars at night.

A DLP projector has a harsher pixel grid, so it may appear sharper in a few scenes because the pixel fill is more visible, but it's really not any sharper for video. I agree about an 8.0 to 8.5 is how I'd rate the sharpness on the RS-45, and I've seen 30+ different projectors.

The RS-45 is the sharpest NON-DLP I have ever seen. I am not just saying that either, you do have to get it mounted right to get the maximum sharpness (not too much lens shift), and there is a 15 minute warmup time or so for convergence to zone in, but overall the projector runs away from the other NON-DLP's in sharpness that I've seen.

I am about the pickiest person in these forums when it comes to sharpness, and this is the first projector I've ever been satisfied with on sharpness that wasn't a DLP.

The contrast is amazing, and I absolutely think this is the best projector ever made under $3,500 for 2D movies, period.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #26 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Others
The blacks on the RS-45 are far far better than the Epson 8500ub/8700ub/5010, there is no comparison to be honest.

The Epson blacks look flat in comparison, Harry Potter and similar movies look all 3Dish in the dark scenes on the JVC because the contrast adds so much depth. On other projectors, these types of movies look flat. On the JVC the scenes appear to have a rich dark looking sparkle to them, almost like looking at the stars at night.

A DLP projector has a harsher pixel grid, so it may appear sharper in a few scenes because the pixel fill is more visible, but it's really not any sharper for video. I agree about an 8.0 to 8.5 is how I'd rate the sharpness on the RS-45, and I've seen 30+ different projectors.

The RS-45 is the sharpest NON-DLP I have ever seen. I am not just saying that either, you do have to get it mounted right to get the maximum sharpness (not too much lens shift), and there is a 15 minute warmup time or so for convergence to zone in, but overall the projector runs away from the other NON-DLP's in sharpness that I've seen.

I am about the pickiest person in these forums when it comes to sharpness, and this is the first projector I've ever been satisfied with on sharpness that wasn't a DLP.

The contrast is amazing, and I absolutely think this is the best projector ever made under $3,500 for 2D movies, period.

Thanks again to all. Could you explain what the right mounting position would be for max. sharpness. My present pj is mounted on a 7-8ft ceiling 14-16ft from the 120" screen, directed to the middle. By lens shift, are you referring to when a pj is not centered, and therefore must adjust to either side to secure the correct picture form. Is the ceiling mount I have in line with a right mounting position?
post #27 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You will be fine with a ceiling mount in that position, that is very close to the sweet spot generally. Even if you weren't at the sweet spot, the added CA error is very minor and not visible in normal viewing.

There are different sweet spots to different units depending, but you won't be able to see any CA error from your seating position anyhow. I was just saying that in reference that the convergence is so nearly perfect on my unit that the added error can be seen with different mounting positions if you put your nose to the screen, but that's about it.

On most NON-DLP projectors the convergence is off enough to where when you use LENS SHIFT, it isn't that noticeable even when you are kind of closeup (it is still noticeable,but I mean it's not a huge difference since most projectors start with more error), but the RS-45 is just so perfect at its sweet spot is what I meant.

post #28 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
coderguy,

Based on your experience of looking at different technologies, where would you place the JVC RS-45 against DLP machines in the so called "DLP IMAGE POP" that people refer so often to?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #29 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^After adjusting my Gamma, and comparing the same scenes from my Infocus Sp8602, which had an abundance of pop. I've concluded the JVC RS45 can match DLP in this area. I got that same 3 dimensional feeling the SP8602 gave me in the brightest of scenes.
post #30 of 84 Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

coderguy,

Based on your experience of looking at different technologies, where would you place the JVC RS-45 against DLP machines in the so called "DLP IMAGE POP" that people refer so often to?

Very close, it depends on what you are watching. On Blurays, the JVC almost always wins, I've seen one or two blurays I thought the DLP still won just slightly due to handling noise in the image more.

Most of the time the JVC has the same POP as a DLP in even brighter scenes, there are a few scenes that will favor one or another. The JVC can POP more in some scenes.

For instance in the movie trailer "Dolphin Tale", there is a closeup of the boy's face / skin-tone and a couple shots of Morgan Freeman in a VERY bright outside shot, the JVC wins across the board, it makes the faces POP just as much but the skin looks a tad more natural and better on the JVC due to the tighter pixel fill ratio (we are picking this apart here, most people couldn't tell the difference).

Yet on a few other bright scenes, like far off scenery shots, I'd give the DLP the tiniest of tiny advantages, so slight it takes an eagle stare at the screen, the sharpness generally looks the same though. When you get snowy scenes, I preferred the JVC again because the snow looks smoother and more natural, but still POPs.

The JVC does have smoother pixels (not lack of sharpness, but tighter pixel fill), this is actually an advantage IMO more than a disadvantage. You do have to let your eyes adjust for a day or two in order to let the different looks be apparent.

It takes a dual-comparison to even tell the difference. I have a DLP side-by-side to the JVC, I've split screen them both, and A/B'd, and watched back to back content.

The only advantage I would still give DLP is poorer sources, and motion in sports and gaming. However, even here with noisier or faster moving content it is a very mild advantage and not always apparent. The JVC has a noise filtering option, and you can turn sharpness and detail enhancement off as well for noisier sources, and this is about the best damn noise control filter I've ever used. So even here the advantage isn't concrete to the DLP, because the JVC can smooth the noise out a bit more, but the DLP tends to just handle it better naturally (more of a preference though).

For some reason DLP DC 3 tends to process a "dirty" noisier image like on Netflix a tad better, it is probably because the more visible pixel fill hides some of the perception of the noise I guess (even if the noise is still there), I'm not sure exactly why.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page