JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I focus the HW30 using my 1920x1080 HTPC screen since there are icons / text all over the screen and can see when I have the focus nailed.

even the VW95 with the better lens is the same way, there isn't the same pixel grid structure we are used to seeing vs the JVC and DLP projectors. I don't think it exclusively means the image is going to be soft due to the lack of visible pixel grid structure. I had a chance to see an RS55 with MPC/E-Shift turned on, there is zero ability to see the grid, yet it looks quite sharp from seating distance.

years ago, the open path LCD's used to get dust blobs, I've had a few on the 2 LCD projectors I owned. Did Epson do something to prevent this somehow for the new models? I haven't heard much on this topic.

I thought you were interested in the 7800, but haven't followed it since the mounting doesn't work in my setup. Have you seen this in person yet? The glasses look huge in the photos i've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is the Sony dithering the image to reduce the ghosting?
Are sophisticated signal processing algorithms being applied which increases noise and reduce the resolution but "washes-away" ghosting?
Are they taking a running average over multiple frames?
Hmmm... This my guess and explains all the symptoms.
Of course all this is proprietary so don't expect an answer...
post #333 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, I've been very interested in the new w7000 projector since I heard of it and I placed an order with Mark at AVS as soon as he announced he was taking pre-orders. I should say first of all that I have taken a lot of Mark's time asking questions and he's been very patient with me. Well today he called me and he told me to just hold off on the BENQ for right now until they get the software upgraded on the new projectors.I just have to say that in this day and age of crappy service, and saleman who just try and push you into a purchase, dealing with Mark has been great. I really aapreciate the service that I have gotten so far and I plan on being an AVS customer soon. Sam Zeoli.
post #334 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dust blobs on Epson are not a problem, because if you get one you send it in and they will fix it. Even after the warranty expires they will still fix it, you might have to pay shipping and a tiny fee after warranty expires, but that's about it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #335 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Dust blobs on Epson are not a problem, because if you get one you send it in and they will fix it. Even after the warranty expires they will still fix it, you might have to pay shipping and a tiny fee after warranty expires, but that's about it.

I never will buy LCD again because of dust blobs. I had the 8100 and 8500 and got tired of returning to get fixed. The reason I went to JVC and Sony. When I get back in the fp game, I will still stay away from Epson.
post #336 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I hear you, but you kept getting them over and over again, weird?
Do you have pets or something. After the second time it happened, I would have rigged a big anti-dust system near the projector, they are not that expensive.

Most projectors have some issue, JVC is the lamps, LCD is dust blobs, more importantly is if the vendor stands behind the product, and Epson's customer service is said to be very good.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #337 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The 8100 had one. Got it fixed and sold it. The 8500 had two different dust blobs. Sold it after the second. No pets and smoke free. I did have HP screen with projector sitting on a shelf about 6" over my head. I figure my sitting area was too close to the fp. Maybe stirring dust. I liked the HP too much to ceiling mount and change screens so I went with other technology.
post #338 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I never will buy LCD again because of dust blobs. I had the 8100 and 8500 and got tired of returning to get fixed. The reason I went to JVC and Sony. When I get back in the fp game, I will still stay away from Epson.

Definitely don't lump all LCDs in the same bucket, I have a 5+ year old Sanyo PLV-Z5 LCD projector, cat in house, no special air cleaning, never a dust blob!
post #339 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just found out the Epson's are compatable with the sony playstation 3d glasses and panasonic's. I ordered one pair of the PS glasses and since my brother has the new Panasonic projector he is lending me a pair when we go see the new mission impossible movie tonight.

I will test out the scenes zombie requested this weekend if I get a chance.
post #340 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Definitely don't lump all LCDs in the same bucket, I have a 5+ year old Sanyo PLV-Z5 LCD projector, cat in house, no special air cleaning, never a dust blob!

I've had the 1080UB, 6700UB, 8700UB Epsons and never had a dust blob although in fairness I didn't keep any of them that long.

My other brother on the other hand has an 8350 and he has already been through 2 replacements bulbs and his projector looks brand new as if he just took it out of the box. A little trick I always did with my other Epsons was I would dust it off real fast and blow out the fans before turning it on in the event dust was sitting on top the unit and wouldn't get sucked in on start-up.
post #341 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sony HW30 owners must be pretty happy with it. Trying to find a good used one is mighty hard.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #342 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Actually I bought the first affordable 400 lumen hemispherical LED light projector:
http://www.amazon.com/EarthLED-ZetaL.../dp/B004IR98WC

Update: For some reason it sold out at $9.95. Go figure!
post #343 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Totally newbie comments here....but I just demo'd the 6010 at my local HT store and all I can say is WOW! I've made my choice and it will be the 6010.

This thing is bright as hell (I almost thought I was looking at a 100 inch plasma screen on the wall!...seriously even my wife was amazed) and killer 3D!, also super bright and no ghosting that I could see on any Captain America scenes. Even with the bright ambient lighting of the store it rocked - approx 14x16 room with a double glass door on the side near the screen. I was quite excited about the performance with ambient lighting because my room not a dedicated theater, more of an entertainment room, and my wife likes to have the fireplace going sometimes during a movie, so this performance means a lot to me.

I had demo'd the RS45 and HW30 at other stores, albeit not at the same time, but to these virgin eyes the 6010 really set itself apart, and made an huge first impression. So critical analysis aside, I really liked what I saw....yea the fan is somewhat noticeable in normal mode, and only on quiet dialog scenes (still, what was Epson thinking!!!!), however 98% of my viewing will be in 2d and the delta in Eco mode is worth the silent fan (absolutely dead silent in eco mode) and when I do watch a 3D flick I can deal with it (actually my wife didn't hear a thing till I told the sales guy to turn down the volume all the way and switch between modes).

I don't know much about interpolation or response times but I looked at scenes that were power packed action and I saw no jitter or motion blur. Colors and contrast were excellent, not over saturated and bright levels were not clipped. Skin tones looked natural and soft, yet sharp and detailed. I am a pro photographer so one thing I can report with authority is brightness levels and color balance - I could not see a need to have this projector calibrated but I guess that will mean more once I get in installed at my home.

I wanted to see a real dark produced flick such a Potter or Underworld movie but we were short on time...there were some dark scenes on CA that I was quite impressed with and, of all the things I was most concerned with after reading the comparisons here, I could not see any issues at dark levels. Transitions from bright to dark areas were very good IMO. I saw no pixelization.

Anyway as I said I am not a videophile, however I am very sure this will be an excellent first project for my needs and room size. I will report first light but first I need to get the drywall finished and flooring down!

Thx all for the posts and analysis - first rate!

Chris Hetlage
http://imagingthecosmos.com

post #344 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the 6010 is the same as the 5010 except warranty and some minor other differences, right?

Almost all these projectors have quite a bit louder fans in lamp high modes, not really something you can get around. Some are a little quieter than others.

post #345 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM

Thx coderguy...correct, it also includes a mount, 2 pair of 3D glasses, a 3 year warranty and THX certification

post #346 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

Thx coderguy...correct, it also includes a mount, 2 pair of 3D glasses, a 3 year warranty and THX certification

And anamorphic lens support, I believe.
post #347 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@ Chris - the 5010 is getting good positive reviews from some critical folks here on the forum, the 5010/6010 sounds like a good choice for 2D and 3D.

btw, great site, I'll be checking out your astrophotography. I am a long time astrophotography fan and still have my ektachrome negatives of Haley's Comet in 1985 to prove it.

my friends go up to cherry spring PA for the black forrest star parties each year.
post #348 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM

and ISF calibration controls - not sure what 'controls' are included....

post #349 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

@ Chris - the 5010 is getting good positive reviews from some critical folks here on the forum, the 5010/6010 sounds like a good choice for 2D and 3D.

btw, great site, I'll be checking out your astrophotography. I am a long time astrophotography fan and still have my ektachrome negatives of Haley's Comet in 1985 to prove it.

my friends go up to cherry spring PA for the black forrest star parties each year.

sweet...one of my many compulsive addictions.

post #350 of 3270 Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM ZEOLI View Post

Hi, I've been very interested in the new w7000 projector since I heard of it and I placed an order with Mark at AVS as soon as he announced he was taking pre-orders. I should say first of all that I have taken a lot of Mark's time asking questions and he's been very patient with me. Well today he called me and he told me to just hold off on the BENQ for right now until they get the software upgraded on the new projectors.I just have to say that in this day and age of crappy service, and saleman who just try and push you into a purchase, dealing with Mark has been great. I really aapreciate the service that I have gotten so far and I plan on being an AVS customer soon. Sam Zeoli.

Good for him/Mark. I dug deep and found I was not happy with BenQ support. I would not buy that unit at half price based on my conversation with their tech support. They better get their act together and soon. They need to stand behind their products a lot better than they do. At the present time I cannot recommend the W7000 to anyone based solely on reported problems and lack of support to recognize them. We won't even touch on their stubborn refusal to allow users to make easy FW upgrades. So yeah, I say avoid this unit right now.
post #351 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Almost no vendor allows firmware upgrades. I know the argument keeps going back to BUT there are bugs, I'm just saying they are no different than everyone else. There are a couple MFR's you can do back-door firmware upgrades, but only a couple that I know of. Optoma and someone else (forgot who).

The only thing I concern myself with for technical support is the warranty process, as long as they do not refuse warranties, then it's fine. I'm not going to email them expecting precise answers. It's also pretty normal to train the tech support guys to always say we are not aware of issues. It's just a different mindset of how you do business, one school of thought says don't ever admit to issues because I'm guessing it could create liability if there were ever a class-action on a product, and some think it hurts sales when they admit to problems. Personally I think the answer should simply be not to overly discuss specific problems, but to just re-affirm that they will have an update that should address most peoples concerns. If there is a deal-stopping problem, then I think they should shelf the product and get the problem fixed, even if it means releasing the product a tad late.

They do need to fix the bugs, but that's another story, they will be forced to fix them IMHO.

post #352 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

JVC on bottom, Epson, then the BenQ W7000. The JVC is heavier and bigger than both combined.

Let the games begin
post #353 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

If it were me I'd check with someone who knows the product and then post complete and accurate information.
One could kill two birds with one stone at their local dealer by auditioning it too, then and report what they thought.
But that's just me. Sorry but I just saw Limitless!
post #354 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

JVC on bottom, Epson, then the BenQ W7000. The JVC is heavier and bigger than both combined.

Let the games begin

Just make sure you compare stuff that favors each projector to see their strengths and weaknesses, and then let us know how the Epson holds up in black levels (although I pretty much can guess since I've setup an 8700ub and owned an 8500ub).

IMHO, the Epson does do very good in certain types of scenes with black levels, but mostly it's when there isn't really bright light in the middle of black areas, because on the 8700ub although the IRIS wasn't that visible, it did crush the white peaks a bit and was too aggressive IMHO in some modes, but it did work better than most. I'd say between the Epson and Sony IRIS's, the Epson is more aggressive at times, but the Sony is less visible and quieter. Let us know if these differences still apply (I know you don't have the Sony anymore, but I think you had it).

I bet you will find the JVC still easily beats the Epson in certain scenes if you compare the right content (grab Tree of Life bluray from Redbox).

post #355 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Did Jason get the RS55? I thought I read he got it this past week but have not seen anything posted about his observations.
post #356 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
[quote=jmalto;21422063]

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?

All kidding aside, its a shame you don't have the Sony to compare as well, That's the projector I'm about to pull the trigger on.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #357 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I had the HW30 several months ago.

Attachment 232506

And the RS40 & HD250

Attachment 232507
LL
LL
post #358 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Did Jason get the RS55? I thought I read he got it this past week but have not seen anything posted about his observations.

Hi, early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Let the games begin

what is better than a stack of projectors to test?

keep an eye on motion when comparing against the RS45. I was watching Shakira run around the stage in this concert and noticed some mild motion smearing during the fast pans. This is smoother and less noticeable on the HW30 (no CMD or Motion flow enabled). It's not obvious until you A/B, but it felt a little easier on the eyes/brain with the Sony. possibly differences between the speed of the panels, LCOS vs. SXRD, etc.

I'd like to know the lag time on the Epson, has it been tested by anyone yet?

@ luis - jmalto owned the HW30 as well. he has me beat this year with total # of projectors in 1 home.
post #359 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct. My Sanyo Z2000 has had zero blobs in 3+ years. It has a dust removal system too, but Ive never needed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #360 of 3270 Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
If anyone could get a reading on the lag for the 45 with CMD mode 3/4 enabled I would be curious to see how much this adds.

Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page