JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Ok, my turn...
As far as animations are concerned, it is no contest - the Epson is MUCH better - better color, better contrast, more pop and "wow". Again, probably just due to the much brighter picture, but I suspect that higher ANSI is partly responsible as well.

My original plan was to buy the Epson for 3D only, but unless my opinion changes over time (and I am just as susceptible to the "new car" excitement as the next guy), I see no reason NOT to use the Epson for 2D as well and sell my JVC. Regardless, I am absolutely amazed at how much performance can be gotten from a $3K MSRP projector as compared to a $10k MSRP projector from just 2 years ago.

Lovingdvd in the Sony 95ES thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

The other major advantage the VW95 offers over the RS20 is something you wouldn't know to look for nor fully appreciate until you could see them side by side - and that is the "brilliance" and shine of the image. I've reported on this several times but it bears repeating.

On the VW95 fine details like dust, snow, leaves, bark on trees, gravel on roads etc are crystal clear and defined. Likewise the shine that comes off of things is very realistic looking, like the shine from the chrome on a car's wheels or the sparkle that comes off a diamond. Watch the same thing on the RS20 and its dull, flat, and much less defined in comparison.

This is the single greatest advantage the VW95 has over the RS20 IMO and it makes watching very addicting. I've had my VW95 now for nearly 3 months and I've watched it every single day or night since I got it except for maybe 5 of those days. This is by far the most addicted I've been to watching any pj I've owned in the past. I'm sure eventually it will fade into the background and the novelty will wear off, but I'm impressed with how longs its been able to keep my interest so far.

Seriously the thicker the liquid crystal, and the more times light goes through it (once for LCD and twice for LCoS) the more we stray from achieving transparency.
It has taken many years but AVS members have identified the major limitation of LCoS. Congratulations guys!
Technically speaking thick LCoS panels suck the life out of pictures!

The thicker the liquid crystal, the easier it is to higher the contrast and lower blacks. However Japanese liquid crystal technology is now aligning the crystal at the molecular level so thicker liquid is no longer necessary. Thanks go to 3D technology from Epson, Sharp, Sony and now Panasonic and hopefully soon JVC.
In conclusion thinner panels are more transparent. It that simple.
This is why LCD is has more pop and life, and not just because of the higher brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

Too bad he couldn't compare it to the Acer 9500, that would be a better match. Your calibrator said the 3D was better than the VW95, isn't that like a $10,000 projector. I'm blown away by the 3D on my 9500, the 2D is pretty darn good also. I would like to see it compared to those others here too, my guess is it would do very well in 2D and come out on top with 3D.

When I can find one in Canada I'll probably buy it. I don't think most here realize just how exceptionally good the 720 3D Acer actually is with the Nvidia system. The only real down side. IMO, is the need to use a computer; however, the 720p 120hz looks amazing. I don't see any RBE in 3D mode with the Acer and the black level with the Nvidia glasses is surprisingly good. The Acer takes you 90% there and then you have to spend a ton more to move another 5 or 6 per cent and then into the stratosphere for the last 3 or 4 per cent. The H9500BD, no doubt, will be a killer 3D projector at the best pricing in town and it is one I really want to see.

Brightness is half or more of the battle with 3D and this is where the Epson has the advantage for 3D at the moment -- this will change. It is apparent to me that ghosting is becoming a thing of the past -- not as quickly as we'd like, but it is happening. I need to see more 3D with the Epson and I'll do some of that today -- if it is as good with the other material as it has been so far then it is a keeper just for the 3D!

Hopefully our conversations about 3D here will start to resemble our conversations about 2D, which are mostly about black levels and all the usual convergence, RBE, lamp issues and the perennial defending your particular purchase arguments. I don't bother defending my purchases because I've made so many and will probably make a whole lot more!

I want the black levels of a gamma corrected Sony G90 with the size, set up, sharpness, brightness and overall convenience of a digital all at a reasonable price. To quote John Lennon -- "They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
post #1563 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Over at the Finnish site dvdplaza they've developed the best test pattern I've seen for evaluating crosstalk as it covers all shades of grey, and the second 3D channel is inverted.
A projector with perfect crosstalk will show no boxes within the greyscale rows:
Optoma HD33:

DLP technology has the least crosstalk, but even here its not perfect, as there are traces of crosstalk in the dark grey rows. This is because the micro mirrors have work their hardest to dither black, which requires the most switching. Having two channels suggests the single chip DLP is reaching its limit. But not to worry as the negligible level of ghosting is least evident for dark pixels.
---
Epson 3010:

---
Sony HW30ES:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...f818708d1512f1

This is Petri's pattern. He created it and does reviews for them.

Joe Clark

post #1564 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

The Epson emitter is just to the right of the lens, as you face the front of the projector.

In that case I am SURE that my lens is blocking it...My lens blocks everything except the cooling vents...
Quote:

There's a jack on the back for an external emitter, and you need to change it to external in the menu.

Yup, I found that stuff..thanks! I just need to know if I should order the Epson external emitter (part # V12H484001) or if there is a better choice from another vendor. I assume that I can simply connect the emitter using any standard CAT6 cable, right?
post #1565 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Test patterns are useful; however, I believe there's a threshold with respect to human perception and it is only when you cross that threshold that we see visual problems that need to be addressed. Obviously the threshold varies some depending on the individual, but there are probably some generalizations we can make. Is it worth the time and expense to make DLP perfect with respect to ghosting? I would say no! Is it worth trying to bring everything else up to the standard DLP sets today? Yes, it probably is and I think it is happening.
post #1566 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

O.K here's a few more thoughts after some 2D and 3D viewing. For 2D this projector is very similar to my 7500 and 9500 -- similar black level and look and quite bright. I know some here think that the 2D was improved, but I don't see it as being significantly better. The 3D so far has been a relief since the few things I've viewed have been ghost free and I've been paying particular attention to this. The motion is surprisingly good and I don't think FI would add much, but I'd take it if Epson added it for 3D. I'd like to see the DI added for 3D. The blacks in 3D are good, but could have been better with a DI, IMO. The Epson offers very bright images in 3D that are pretty much ghost-free and 3D so far is very impressive. if you're not interested in 3D then you should definitely look at some other projectors as well as the Epsons -- like the JVCs. If 3D is important to you (that's BD 3D) then put the Epson on your short list. Maybe I'll change my tune about 3D, but I'd be surprised since I have looked at some tough 3D demo material. Anyone with video material on external hard drives should seriously investigate the Oppo 93 3D BD player -- it plays back this stuff really well. So far it has been so much easier to use than my computer.

Quote:

My original plan was to buy the Epson for 3D only, but unless my opinion changes over time (and I am just as susceptible to the "new car" excitement as the next guy), I see no reason NOT to use the Epson for 2D as well and sell my JVC. Regardless, I am absolutely amazed at how much performance can be gotten from a $3K MSRP projector as compared to a $10k MSRP projector from just 2 years ago.

thank you guys for adding your feedback. Please keep the thread updated with your findings as you get more viewing time.

DV - I've heard about that feature of the 93.. does it play back 3D BD ISO without a problem? Is it a menu system that just shows a list of files?
post #1567 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

thank you guys for adding your feedback. Please keep the thread updated with your findings as you get more viewing time.

DV - I've heard about that feature of the 93.. does it play back 3D BD ISO without a problem? Is it a menu system that just shows a list of files?

I know this is off topic, but I think it is important enough to post here because it might actually help solve some problems for some members. The Oppo 93 is a revelation for me. Attach your hard drive to one of the two USB ports and then click home (on menu) and it will show you a list of icons. Click the movie icon it will show you your hard drive (3D BD ISOs). Click it and you get the list of all the hard drive's content and then click the content and away you go. I've only used it a few times, but wow, no handshake issues yet and no "the usual software issues" so far. I am really impressed. I took a hard drive with me to the showroom and handed it to the salesperson and said "show me". He did and I immediately said, "Put the Oppo in the back of my car." Now you can understand why Master Card was phoning me.
post #1568 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

I know this is off topic, but I think it is important enough to post here because it might actually help solve some problems for some members. The Oppo 93 is a revelation for me. Attach your hard drive to one of the two USB ports and then click home (on menu) and it will show you a list of icons. Click the movie icon it will show you your hard drive (3D BD ISOs). Click it and you get the list of all the hard drive's content and then click the content and away you go. I've only used it a few times, but wow, no handshake issues yet and no "the usual software issues" so far. I am really impressed. I took a hard drive with me to the showroom and handed it to the salesperson and said "show me". He did and I immediately said, "Put the Oppo in the back of my car." Now you can understand why Master Card was phoning me.

thanks for the info. The one thing I like about the Himedia 900b is the 'direct play' - it immediately starts the movie with 2-3 seconds and makes it easy to jump from movie to movie when testing.

I am curious what content you used to evaluate the epson that was enough to put it in the car.
post #1569 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Does the oppo play mkv blu ray rips as big as 20gb-30gb with no problem? If so, I'm in
post #1570 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Same question as Jason - does it play back 3D iso files? If so, there's a 3 TB hard drive on sale at Best Buy for $ 150.

Joe Clark

post #1571 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In that case I am SURE that my lens is blocking it...My lens blocks everything except the cooling vents...

Yup, I found that stuff..thanks! I just need to know if I should order the Epson external emitter (part # V12H484001) or if there is a better choice from another vendor. I assume that I can simply connect the emitter using any standard CAT6 cable, right?

I'm assuming any CAT5 or 6 cable will work. I'll probably end up getting the external emitter, since I can hide it very effectively in my theater. That should solve my IR flooding problem.

Joe Clark

post #1572 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am really impressed with all the glowing reviews the Epson 5010/6010 is getting! Glad to see Epson is back in a big way. Would be great to see them come out with a higher end offering (maybe in the $5k range) that adds high native CR and a manual iris that can be used on top of the DI (this pj sounds way to bright for my 1.3 gain 106" diag Firehawk).

Considering how this unit is reportedly far better than the RS45 for 3D viewing, it seems the Epson is the price/performance value leader, yes?

About the only negative thing I've seen posted about the Epson is that some users have complained that the DI is noisy. That would really bother me. Hopefully they will improve on it and come out with a higher end version.

I haven't heard much about the 61000 for a while, but given the great strides Epson has made with the 5010/6010 it sure seems like the 61000's next-gen model whenever that may be will have my attention (assuming they add 3D).
post #1573 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is far from off topic to me. One of the big problems with computer based playback of Blu-ray iso files (2D and 3D) is that video card drivers change frequently. I've had perfect playback of 2D iso files in the past, but 3D has complicated the mix. I've run into issues in TMT5 with stuttering playback. As of right now, I'm getting better playback with PowerDVD 11. It seems like a constant battle, though, to stay ahead of the problems, and freaky things sometimes happen even if I do nothing at all.

If the Oppo 93 does clean playback of 3D iso files (just as though I had the physical disc in the drive), I'm going to get one. Because hard drives prices have gone through the roof after the flooding in Thailand, that 3TB USB 3.0 drive at Best Buy is a great deal anyway. If I can stick all my 3D movies on that drive, it's a no-brainer. Decadent as I am, I don't like changing discs.

Joe Clark

post #1574 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I am really impressed with all the glowing reviews the Epson 5010/6010 is getting! Glad to see Epson is back in a big way. Would be great to see them come out with a higher end offering (maybe in the $5k range) that adds high native CR and a manual iris that can be used on top of the DI (this pj sounds way to bright for my 1.3 gain 106" diag Firehawk).

Considering how this unit is reportedly far better than the RS45 for 3D viewing, it seems the Epson is the price/performance value leader, yes?

About the only negative thing I've seen posted about the Epson is that some users have complained that the DI is noisy. That would really bother me. Hopefully they will improve on it and come out with a higher end version.

I haven't heard much about the 61000 for a while, but given the great strides Epson has made with the 5010/6010 it sure seems like the 61000's next-gen model whenever that may be will have my attention (assuming they add 3D).

In 3D mode, my Epson's fan is pretty darn noisy, but the DI isn't bad, unless you're right on top of it. Apparently, though, the noise varies from unit to unit.

For 3D, it's hard to imagine a better choice right now than what I'm seeing with this Epson 6010. However, I still prefer the RS45 for dark scene 3D. There's a quality to the JVC image that I think glistens and sparkles. 3D feels "richer" if not "deeper." (Pretty helpful, huh? ) I think that's due to the high native contrast. All this is very subjective, of course, but IMO the thing that I like so much about the JVC image in dark scene 2D makes it great in 3D, too. For 2D in bright scenes, I think I prefer the Epson. I know I sound like a broken record, but the thing that absolutely destroys 3D on the RS45 is dark ghosting. With my smallish HP screen, it looks dreadful. In this respect, the Epson puts the JVC to shame. After seeing the low level of ghosting on the Epson, it's even harder to imagine going back to watching 3D regularly on the JVC.

Joe Clark

post #1575 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I saw this feature for the Oppo a while ago, but apparently it can't stream from a NAS on the network, only from a locally attached HDD.

This would be good for a few 3DBDs, but unfortunately not for a whole collection of blurays, so I resisted.

If they manage to add network streaming for 2D/3D blurays before the new Dune models are out, I might go for one, although MyMovies doesn't handle the Oppo like it does the Dune.

Organising your collection on the PC, selecting the movie you want to watch on an iPad and having it played by the Dune is the best combination I found to date re interface/stability/picture quality, so I'm not ready to let it go, despite the fact that I can't stand the HTPC anymore to play 3D blurays, due to the drivers issues already mentionned.

Has anyone tested PowerDVD 12 yet?
post #1576 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't know PowerDVD 12 was out yet. I'll have to take a look at the Dune hardware, Manni. I love MyMovies. I'm still headed to Best Buy to pick up that 3TB drive.

Joe Clark

post #1577 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

This is far from off topic to me. One of the big problems with computer based playback of Blu-ray iso files (2D and 3D) is that video card drivers change frequently. I've had perfect playback of 2D iso files in the past, but 3D has complicated the mix. I've run into issues in TMT5 with stuttering playback. As of right now, I'm getting better playback with PowerDVD 11. It seems like a constant battle, though, to stay ahead of the problems, and freaky things sometimes happen even if I do nothing at all.

If the Oppo 93 does clean playback of 3D iso files (just as though I had the physical disc in the drive), I'm going to get one. Because hard drives prices have gone through the roof after the flooding in Thailand, that 3TB USB 3.0 drive at Best Buy is a great deal anyway. If I can stick all my 3D movies on that drive, it's a no-brainer. Decadent as I am, I don't like changing discs.

All I'm interested in is playing back 2D and 3D BDs from my hard drive -- nothing fancy. The Oppo 93 does this without the hassles associated with my bipolar PC (my PC is actually pretty good, but there always seems to some wrinkle which forces me to get creative). I'll throw some more stuff at the Oppo and let you know of any issues, but for now it almost seems too good to be true.
post #1578 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Ok, my turn...

...The first thing I noticed is that the 5010 lacks anamorphic support of any kind. As far as I can tell, with HDMI sources, I can't change the aspect ratio at all, as the projector locks onto the AR of the incoming signal. Lucky for me I use a DVDO Duo video processor, so this is not an issue at all, as the DVDO can handle the AR changes for me just fine, though I had been used to making the changes in the projector (rather than the DVDO) when I was using my JVC RS-35. So if you own an anamorphic lens or plan on getting one, you will absolutely NEED a video processor with this unit, OR you should buy the 6010, as I believe that anamorphic stretch is available in that unit (though I don't have a 6010 here to verify that belief)...

Bob, glad to read your report. The 6010 I ordered is backordered and still a week to 10 days away so I don't have hands-on experience with it yet. One of the reasons I decided on the 6010 over the 5010 was anamorphic support for my Prismasonic lens built-in. I am using my DVDO VP50 for aspect ratio right now and will continue except for 3D. And that brings me to your comment on using your Duo and the NEED for a processor. Possibly I'm mistaken, but aren't the Duo and my VP50 lacking support for HDMI 1.4 which I believe is necessary to pass a 3D signal along with ethernet return signal? If that's the case, your Duo may not work the way you hope with 3D material. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I considered it when I ordered the 6010. I even removed my venerable Denon 4806 AVR from the chain and replaced it with an updated AVR that supports HDMI 1.4a.

It's good to see your report on image quality as I continue to be content with my C3X, but am anxiously awaiting the 6010. I have decided to shelf mount the Epson vs. my existing ceiling mount, partly out of convenience and partly out of some little concern over the reports on ceiling mount causing possible convergence drift issues. So right now I am set up to have both projectors in place simultaneously for comparison - though it's hardly fair in many respects. Thanks again for the good "first light" (astronomy reference) report.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #1579 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All I'm interested in is playing back 2D and 3D BDs from my hard drive -- nothing fancy. The Oppo 93 does this without the hassles associated with my bipolar PC (my PC is actually pretty good, but there always seems to some wrinkle which forces me to get creative). I'll throw some more stuff at the Oppo and let you know of any issues, but for now it almost seems too good to be true.

I would be able to get 70-80 Blu-ray 3D titles onto a 3TB drive. Right now, that's considerably more than I have in my 3D collection. If the Oppo plays those back identically to physical discs, I'll probably get it. For 2D, I'll continue to use a computer, MyMovies and the UnRaid servers - at least until a less finicky solution comes along.

Joe Clark

post #1580 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

Thanks for the Oppo info. I have a 93 and was aware that it could do this, but for some reason have not tried it yet. Did not realize it was so easy and you motivated me to pull my hard drive downstairs and check it out which I will do when I fire up the projector next. I only have music on my drive right now, but this might get me into putting my blus on there which would be cool.

Congrats on the Epson! Quite the endorsement coming from you! Sounds like a great projector. Must be a great unit with the reports coming from you Joseph and Zombie. Curious to hear more as you spend more time with it. I am curious to see one now after everything you guys have been talking about.

Quote:

I would be able to get 70-80 Blu-ray 3D titles onto a 3TB drive. Right now, that's considerably more than I have in my 3D collection. If the Oppo plays those back identically to physical discs, I'll probably get it. For 2D, I'll continue to use a computer, MyMovies and the UnRaid servers - at least until a less finicky solution comes along.

That is a good point/question........do you loose ANY quality by playing 2d/3d blues off a hard drive through the 93? I am brand new to this so I dont know how it works exactly.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1581 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks for the Oppo info. I have a 93 and was aware that it could do this, but for some reason have not tried it yet. Did not realize it was so easy and you motivated me to pull my hard drive downstairs and check it out which I will do when I fire up the projector next. I only have music on my drive right now, but this might get me into putting my blus on there which would be cool.

Congrats on the Epson! Quite the endorsement coming from you! Sounds like a great projector. Must be a great unit with the reports coming from you Joseph and Zombie. Curious to hear more as you spend more time with it. I am curious to see one now after everything you guys have been talking about.

That is a good point/question........do you loose ANY quality by playing 2d/3d blues off a hard drive through the 93? I am brand new to this so I dont know how it works exactly.

Looks like you and DV will be answering that question for us. Do you have any Blu-ray 3D iso files to test?

Joe Clark

post #1582 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

And that brings me to your comment on using your Duo and the NEED for a processor. Possibly I'm mistaken, but aren't the Duo and my VP50 lacking support for HDMI 1.4 which I believe is necessary to pass a 3D signal along with ethernet return signal? If that's the case, your Duo may not work the way you hope with 3D material. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I considered it when I ordered the 6010. I even removed my venerable Denon 4806 AVR from the chain and replaced it with an updated AVR that supports HDMI 1.4a.

Hi Ray,

I can't speak for your VP50, but my DVDO Duo had an updated firmware which included a "3D passthrough mode" in order to allow it to work properly even though the Duo is HDMI 1.3. Hopefully there is a similar firmware update available for your VP50...
post #1583 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Oppo web site has mp4 listed as a supported file format, but this probably means only 2D. I'd appreciate it if one of you would test it with an mp4 3D file (MVC), like this one. Also, has anyone tested the Oppo with 3D Blu-ray content burned onto Blu-ray recordables? I do this frequently to test my 3D projects.

Joe Clark

post #1584 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Ray,

I can't speak for your VP50, but my DVDO Duo had an updated firmware which included a "3D passthrough mode" in order to allow it to work properly even though the Duo is HDMI 1.3. Hopefully there is a similar firmware update available for your VP50...

Bob - have you tried to stretch 3D with the DVDO. If it doesn't another option is an Oppo 93 which will stretch 3D and works perfectly with every 3D Bluray I have thrown at it. It's a solid machine too, also very quiet.
post #1585 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

Looks like you and DV will be answering that question for us. Do you have any Blu-ray 3D iso files to test?

I dont unfortunately. I dont even have a blu ray drive in my cpu yet. We are going to have to wait for DV to report in.

Quote:

The Oppo web site has mp4 listed as a supported file format, but this probably means only 2D. I'd appreciate it if one of you would test it with an mp4 3D file (MVC), like this one. Also, has anyone tested the Oppo with 3D Blu-ray content burned onto Blu-ray recordables? I do this frequently to test my 3D projects.

I have a burned copy of Avatar 3d that plays no problem in my 93.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1586 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Toe. I just picked up that drive at Best Buy. Hope the Oppo doesn't balk at the 3TB size, but regardless I can never have too much storage.

Joe Clark

post #1587 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Over at the Finnish site dvdplaza they've developed the best test pattern I've seen for evaluating crosstalk as it covers all shades of grey, and the second 3D channel is inverted.

Thanks for the compliment, HiFiFun. I designed the pattern to be a real stress test, one that picks up any remains of crosstalk. It's also a proper frame-packed MVC image, not a side-by-side one. Only thing is that it's a real bugger to photograph; digital cameras tend to run out of latitude with some projectors. I've just finished the review for Epson TW9000/5010 for DVD Plaza and had to actually use HDR to combine three shots with different exposures to create one that looks like it does to my eyes.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #1588 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

I noticed you've been talking about Oppo's ability to play BD3D ISO images off a HDD. Yes, it works - for now. It won't after you upgrade player firmware the next time.

The studios asked Oppo to remove the feature. It's a sad state of affairs. From change notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppo Digital View Post

Per the request from the studios, the ISO file playback function has been removed in this firmware version. The previous firmware had the ability to play ISO files, but it was an undocumented function and was never officially announced or supported. Future firmware version will no longer support ISO playback.

This (beta) firmware was released on January 23rd, 2012 and has a version number BDP9x-64-0119B.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #1589 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Thanks for the compliment, HiFiFun. I designed the pattern to be a real stress test, one that picks up any remains of crosstalk. It's also a proper frame-packed MVC image, not a side-by-side one. Only thing is that it's a real bugger to photograph; digital cameras tend to run out of latitude with some projectors. I've just finished the review for Epson TW9000/5010 for DVD Plaza and had to actually use HDR to combine three shots with different exposures to create one that looks like it does to my eyes.

I've read some of your reviews - muddling through with Google translate, because my Finnish is rusty. I wish all reviewers would follow your lead in doing such comprehensive and helpful tests. It would eliminate virtually every trace of the subjectivity we see in other professional reviews of 3D projectors. We could rest assured that if we saw differences in our own projectors that they would be the result of unit variations, not wildly different approaches to assessing ghosting performance.

Joe Clark

post #1590 of 3270 Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

You should link us to that full review when it's up.

Joe Clark

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page