JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own Epson 3010, i'm looking for somthing higher and better in 3d quality like HD83 , HW30ES, PT-AE500, DLA-RS45.
what do you recommend HW30ES or HD83?

thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat View Post

I own Epson 3010, i'm looking for somthing higher and better in 3d quality like HD83 , HW30ES, PT-AE500, DLA-RS45.

thanks alot

My TWO CENT Opinion is you should have spent a few extra bucks for
the Epson 5010 or 6010 - I am very HAPPY with mine after being a
SONY Owner for many years.
post #2433 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Ditto.

Joe Clark

post #2434 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM

===============
thanks alot drhankz
epson again no way I am confused between HW30ES and HD83 Which would be better for 3D
post #2435 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat View Post

===============
thanks alot drhankz
epson again no way I am confused between HW30ES and HD83 Which would be better for 3D

The Epson 5010 and Epson 3010 are not of the same quality. Go to PC and read the reviews of all the projectors you mentioned.
post #2436 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post

the epson 5010 and epson 3010 are not of the same quality. Go to pc and read the reviews of all the projectors you mentioned.

AMEN three cheers
post #2437 of 3270 Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Hello. specifically registered for to tell about the temporary solution of field BENQ W7000. need in the nvidia control panel создадь custom resolution of 1920x1080 59Hz and sharp bring up how to VGA . plus calibration gave more черного. remained one problem 3d switching 40 seconds.
post #2438 of 3270 Old 04-08-2012, 02:07 AM

Deja Vu yes not same quality but i'm looking for different brand

i'm waiting for the legend zombie10k and his recommendation

===================
post #2439 of 3270 Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 159
He'll tell you the Sony hw30, and I'll tell you the same thing, but we'll wait to get the official word. I also like LCOS slightly better than LCD, but to each their own (I know this ruffles some feathers when I say that, sorry guys!).

I own a JVC and I heavily considered the Sony hw30, if I was more into 3D (or if there was more 3D available), then I'd have grabbed the Sony for sure. I am ok with the JVC's 3D so far, it is not as good as the others at 3D, but as long as I don't watch the others much, then I rarely realize what I am missing. I do like 3D for some stuff, but the content is so limited that it doesn't have everything I want yet media-wise. Also lots of 3D is done cheesy, you gotta pick and choose wisely. You can't beat the dark scenes on the JVC's 3D even though it ghosts with brighter content sometimes.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2440 of 3270 Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM

coderguy Thanks for the quick responses & the helpful post Code guy's Top Projector Picks of 2012
why no one talks about optoma hd8300?
post #2441 of 3270 Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Optoma hd8300 was released at kind of a high price point, I'm not sure about its current price, but I think it is still a lot more than the Benq w7000. The hd8300 would have been talked about more I think if the price were different. If Zombie can keep coordinating with Benq until the pixel blur on the HDMI port is fixed, then the fact the Benq allows shelf mounting near center-point is a huge advantage. The Benq paired with an HP screen can be brighter than the other DLP's.

@BENQ OWNERS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikxa View Post

Hello. specifically registered for to tell about the temporary solution of field BENQ W7000. need in the nvidia control panel создадь custom resolution of 1920x1080 59Hz and sharp bring up how to VGA . plus calibration gave more черного. remained one problem 3d switching 40 seconds.

This guy is saying if you make those adjustments it is helping the sharpness (custom res with 59hz in Nvidia Control Panel)...
Someone needs to try this on the Benq and report back just in case...

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2442 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 AM

still struggling with the sharpness w7000 via HDMI it turned out that the sharpness increases when creating a custom resolution with progressive scan. but when you reboot or start the game everything is reset to the native resolution and have to manually switch to custom. but to be honest my optoma HD80 still острее. I expected more.
post #2443 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

He'll tell you the Sony hw30, and I'll tell you the same thing, but we'll wait to get the official word. I also like LCOS slightly better than LCD, but to each their own (I know this ruffles some feathers when I say that, sorry guys!).

I own a JVC and I heavily considered the Sony hw30, if I was more into 3D (or if there was more 3D available), then I'd have grabbed the Sony for sure. I am ok with the JVC's 3D so far, it is not as good as the others at 3D, but as long as I don't watch the others much, then I rarely realize what I am missing. I do like 3D for some stuff, but the content is so limited that it doesn't have everything I want yet media-wise. Also lots of 3D is done cheesy, you gotta pick and choose wisely. You can't beat the dark scenes on the JVC's 3D even though it ghosts with brighter content sometimes.

I agree with Coderguy, I also made the hard choice and bought the JVC because of 2D. I just wanted a projector with good blacks and the JVC fit the bill. I have calibrated it using Chroma Pure through a DVDO-Iscan CMS.
I have tried 3d and have noticed the ghosting on some scenes and certain films. I have also viewed 3D on other projectors and some are better including the Epson and the Sony. The real question for me was the 2D picture in this price range and I just like the JVC LCOS better than LCD. I also wish there was better 3D media out there. I own about 10 and I will say that many are badly produced. I did like Hugo and noticed the ghosting in a few scenes but I can deal with it for the few 3D films worth watching. There is always next year and I will probably get something new again with better 3d. I might also go for a 2nd DLP low cost 3D projector.
post #2444 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I might also go for a 2nd DLP low cost 3D projector.

If 3D picks up speed then this is the route I will be going as well. I wouldn't give up the black level and picture quality on my X30 for 3D, no way no how

Bill
post #2445 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

If 3D picks up speed then this is the route I will be going as well. I wouldn't give up the black level and picture quality on my X30 for 3D, no way no how

Bill

Does anyone have a suggestion of a low cost DLP for 3D that will work with the Monster Vision and or Xpand 104 glasses.
post #2446 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM

First, this is a great thread. I've tried to read as much as possible, but at 80+ pages, spending that much time on the internet gets long looks from the wife

I'm a projector newb, and I'm looking for a recommendation between the RS-45 and HW30 (or maybe another projector if it fits).

My room has no ambient light. I'm looking at a screen size around 100". I can place the projector anywhere up to ~18ft from the screen. The only caveat is, that due to the HVAC in the room, I built chases around the outside walls. This means that the ceiling where the projector will be mounted is about 15" higher than what the top of the screen will be. I could buy a pole to shorten that gapbut would prefer not.

My primary uses for the theater will be movies, TV, and gaming. I have no use for 3D (haven't really liked it in the theater).

I would think the JVC wins for what I'm doing. But the concerns about gaming lag (coming from a plasma) and the bulb issues give me pause.

Am I over thinking this? Is the JVC best for what I'm doing? Or does the gaming lag mean I should go with the Sony? Or another projector all together?

Thanks!
post #2447 of 3270 Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarden View Post

First, this is a great thread. I've tried to read as much as possible, but at 80+ pages, spending that much time on the internet gets long looks from the wife

I'm a projector newb, and I'm looking for a recommendation between the RS-45 and HW30 (or maybe another projector if it fits).

My room has no ambient light. I'm looking at a screen size around 100". I can place the projector anywhere up to ~18ft from the screen. The only caveat is, that due to the HVAC in the room, I built chases around the outside walls. This means that the ceiling where the projector will be mounted is about 15" higher than what the top of the screen will be. I could buy a pole to shorten that gapbut would prefer not.

My primary uses for the theater will be movies, TV, and gaming. I have no use for 3D (haven't really liked it in the theater).

I would think the JVC wins for what I'm doing. But the concerns about gaming lag (coming from a plasma) and the bulb issues give me pause.

Am I over thinking this? Is the JVC best for what I'm doing? Or does the gaming lag mean I should go with the Sony? Or another projector all together?

Thanks!

The gaming lag may bother you with the JVC especially if you play games that require quick responses. You will be at a disadvantage in games like Gears or Modern Warfare. If you play mostly single player games, you may not notice the lag. The Sony IMHO is the best all around machine for movies, 3d, and gaming. The cheaper Sony bulbs is also another plus if you put alot of hours on the projector.
post #2448 of 3270 Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

T

@BENQ OWNERS

This guy is saying if you make those adjustments it is helping the sharpness (custom res with 59hz in Nvidia Control Panel)...
Someone needs to try this on the Benq and report back just in case...

BenQ already has the W7000, I won't be able to test this. hopefully if they fix it, I won't have to.

Kris @ Home Theater Magazine has a great review of the X30. He points out the the obvious pros (2D) and cons (3D). At mid-throw, he measured 36,400:1 with the lamp on high and iris closed.

I keep going back April issue, something was obviously wrong with the X70 they had, they posted 10,700:1 as the measured contrast and claiming 'it wasn't the best contrast they've seen from a projector'... it should have been the best contrast they've measured for any under 10k projector at this time.

hopefully Kris can go back and re-do this review in the same way as the X30 in the current issue. Even in the worst case scenario, the X30 did 22,500:1 with high lamp, iris fully opened. I'd like to know what happened during that test of the X70 to come up with such a low contrast measurement.
post #2449 of 3270 Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm setting up my Epson 7500 and 9500 in a dual stack and feeding the two Optoma XL-3D boxes from the two HDMI outputs of my Oppo BD player. The Omega filters just arrived and now I've got to figure out how to mount them. I'm very curious to see how this works and how 3D compares to the 6010. Apparently the filters are not optimized for LCD projectors, so I may have to have them exchanged with an updated pair. We'll see.
post #2450 of 3270 Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

I keep going back April issue, something was obviously wrong with the X70 they had, they posted 10,700:1 as the measured contrast and claiming 'it wasn't the best contrast they've seen from a projector'... it should have been the best contrast they've measured for any under 10k projector at this time.

I think that JVC suffers from the same problem that a lot of manufacturers suffer with - inconsistent manufacturing quality. In just the 2 samples that I had from Epson (5010), the first unit had perfect convergence, extremely sharp lens, and horrible shading. Kris noted in his review of the 5010 that his unit had the same horrible shading as mine had (toward red), and his lens was soft. My second unit from Epson has perfect shading, good (but not great) convergence, and the lens is a tad softer than the first unit, though it is still plenty sharp (I'll bet it is sharper than the unit that Kris reviewed). JVC unfortunately suffers from the same manufacturing inconsistencies, so a CR of 10,700:1 doesn't necessarily mean that there was something wrong with the projector per se, but rather just that it was not one of the "good ones".

I get the feeling that there is a huge unit to unit variance in most, if not all, mass produced projectors and it is simply a roll of the dice as to what kind of performance you will get with your particular unit. It sucks but it is the reality of the situation...
post #2451 of 3270 Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarden View Post

Thanks!

I am very happy with my setup. I have a room with good ambient light control, 100-in CineWhite tensioned screen with a HW30ES.

I am very satisfied with the 2D and 3D image quality. The 3D is much like the theater. It makes the image dimmer, but still watchable. Plus it sounds like the Sony is the better all around unit. More reliable bulb, less of a ghosting issue in 3D and very low lag time for gaming with the gaming mode. Plus the range of lens shift will most likely make setup easy in your room.

Just my $0.02.

post #2452 of 3270 Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob - I agree with the variances in sample quality, I've seen enough of that over the last few projectors. My first RS40 had poor convergence and focus, my replacement RS50 was near perfect. Same thing with my first RS55, it had convergence and focus issues, but the replacement is good enough to be considered a golden sample with excellent convergence and the best focus I've seen yet on a projector.

In the case of the X70 review, I believe Kris specifically stated in the VW95 thread that something was wrong, either with the measuring equipment or the projector itself. I think something would have to be quite broken with the projector to only measure 10k:1 when the worst case scenario for the X30 was double the contrast with the lamp on high and iris wide open.
post #2453 of 3270 Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

JVC actually QC's projectors and the contrast is something that is supposed to be checked, and 10,000:1 on/off would be epic failure for an RS-55. It could also just be human error on the measurement.

I haven't heard of JVC's measuring hugely different, it would be an interesting experiment to get several people to measure using the same meter and general conditions and see, but it'd be hard to do.

post #2454 of 3270 Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Take the published CR from the X70 review with a grain of salt. Ended up being some issues with the setup on that unit. I redid the cal and measured it and the lowest CR I measured (high lamp/iris fully open) was close to 40K:1. I could get about 80,000:1 in low lamp iris fully closed, and these were at about mid-throw. We are looking at our data now and will probably address it in a follow up.

I found Kris's response in the VW95 regarding the April 2012 X70 review in their magazine.
post #2455 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's Art's final picks for the 2012 mid-priced projectors. This should make Conan48 happy!

"I had to go with the Epson Home Cinema 5010 and Pro Cinema 6010 for Best In Class in the $2000 – $3500 range. Normally, with a Home Cinema and a similar Pro Cinema projector from Epson we only give out the single award, but this year, there’s enough difference to consider them two separate products, if very similar. Great brightness, great blacks, great support, and th rest is pretty good too!

We did come up with a pair of runner-ups, and they might surprise you. Hey, they surprised me. Not that either of them picked up the Runner-up award, but that one projector didn’t.

The Best In Class Runner-up projector award in the $2000-$3500 price Class, go to the Panasonic PT-AE7000, and the BenQ W7000. These two are pretty different products, but both are excellent choices.

And that brings us to the one that didn’t make it. That would be the JVC DLA-RS45 – also sold as the DLA-X30. It too is one fine projector with great blacks for the price, and an overall, classy projector. It just came up well short of all the award winners when it comes to 3D. I considered a 2D only award, but then, the JVC is a 2D and 3D capable projector. Didn’t seem fair. So, my point is, it’s a really impressive 2D projector, also worthy of consideration, despite the lack of one of the report awards."
post #2456 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Art is certainly entitled to his opinions, but this years reviews/comments has made me question his process/results. I'll not be going there for much info in the future.
post #2457 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Art is certainly entitled to his opinions, but this years reviews/comments has made me question his process/results. I'll not be going there for much info in the future.

This thread pretty much agrees with Art's opinion. Maybe the omission of the Sony might raise some eyebrows, but the Epson, Benq and Panasonic seem to be pretty safe bets -- it certainly doesn't mean they don't have their issues.
post #2458 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Hey Zombie,

I am looking to upgrade from my Mits HC7000, and I am leaning toward the RS45, but I haven't seen it in action, I only care about 2D, and I am using a 1.0 gain dalite 84" diagonal screen. I love dark movies, and have always wanted a JVC. Coming from the mits how does the RS45 compare? I am slightly worried about the light corner issue, and on projectorreviews.com's review of the RS45 they noticed a blue cast to the picture even after calibration, and especially in dark scenes. Have you noticed this issue as well? Also, I am a professional calibrator and I am not a gamer.
post #2459 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Art's picks reflect exactly my experience with the Epson and JVC. I ended up trading my RS45 for an Epson 6010 precisely because of the RS45's deficiencies as a 3D projector. Otherwise, I'd still have it. I'd also add that the JVC would be a fantastic, no-brainer choice if it didn't ghost so much in 3D mode. Ghosts haunt the JVC, and they become nightmarish as the lamp ages. If not for that, the high contrast would make the RS45 an amazing 3D machine. I hope JVC can solve the problem soon.

Joe Clark

post #2460 of 3270 Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Yup me either.. I've already stopped frequenting the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobb666 View Post

Hey Zombie,

I am looking to upgrade from my Mits HC7000, and I am leaning toward the RS45, but I haven't seen it in action, I only care about 2D, and I am using a 1.0 gain dalite 84" diagonal screen. I love dark movies, and have always wanted a JVC. Coming from the mits how does the RS45 compare? I am slightly worried about the light corner issue, and on projectorreviews.com's review of the RS45 they noticed a blue cast to the picture even after calibration, and especially in dark scenes. Have you noticed this issue as well? Also, I am a professional calibrator and I am not a gamer.

You should go to http://www.hometheater.com/category/projector-reviews and read a real review of the RS45. All that blue cast and light corner malarkey is not how these projectors look in reality. Being that you're a 2D sci fi guy like me..I don't think it gets any better in this price range than the RS45 for pure 2D viewing. It should far and away be deeper blacks compared to your current unit,wiith a much more dynamic image to boot!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page