3D projector Cable - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just went through this excersise as I just ordered a 3D projector and wanted to know if I should replace the cable. My situation may be slightly different that some, as I do use a Lumagen XS and this may boost the signal somehow (I honestly do not know and never bothered to ask).

Here is the email correspondence....

----------------My inquiry

Hello,

I have a 35' cable that I bought from Bluejeans a few years ago. It does not note high speed or any other markings indicating what spec it is. I am moving to a new 1080P 3D projector and was wondering if I should pull in a new cable or not.

The cable identification is as follows:

HDMI Copartner E119932 AWM Style 20276 80 C 30V WM-1

It has no other markings on it that I can see. I do not know what the gauge is either.

I have not noticed any sparkles or other issues feeding my projector a 1080P / 60 signal from my Lumagen video processor.

Please advise. Thank you.

----------Responce (name removed)

I believe the cable you currently have is a Tartan 24AWG HDMI cable. While that particular length (35') would be outside of the high-speed certified length, there is no HDMI cable produced by any manufacturer (to my knowledge) that has a longer high-speed certification than 25'. However, the category certified length is more of a baseline guarantee, rather than a maximum usable length. So, the fact that the cable does support 1080p/60 doesn't surprise me too much at all; the functional signal you have now wouldn't be improved even if you were to find a cable Category-2 (high-speed) certified at this longer length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 52
I wouldn't expect 1080P/60 to be a problem with a quality cable at that length. Since 1080P/60 it uses less than 1/2 the bandwidth of what the HDMI high speed spec is capable. It is when you try using sources that use full bandwidth, HDMI problems might arise.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

I went and ordered 2x 25footer of these cables along with a hdmi coupler and they work great. These use 22AWG conductors, thickest I can find.

Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Coupler: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Very happy and no issue whatsoever with my JVC RS45. I figured I can't lose going thicker gauge along with the silver plating as further insurance from signal degradation/synch issue.

Regards,

Kenobi
post #34 of 52 Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho1138 View Post

Milez

I agree. I don't know much and I ordered the high speed monoprice cable as well which also worked but I needed something longer than 25 ft and just took the chance with the redmere and it worked great. 3d on my projector on my 110" brilliant white carada screen looks as good as the 3d on my Panasonic 55" viera tv that I use in my family room, which honestly looks better than 3d in the theaters. Reading these forums is fun and informative but it also seems that people here are certainly pickier than average consumer. I am very happy with my purchase just make sure you hook them up properly since they are unidirectional. Good luck!

Cable results are never 100% directly comparible as most everyone has a different signal path due to various equipment and no two components being absolutely identical.

For example, my "bad" cheapo 35ft cable routed from my AVR would not work with a Panasonic Plasma, but it did work with a Samsung (both tested at 720P). My only alternative was to use a better cable which made the Panny happy and my wallet a little lighter. That said, the price I paid for the BJC Series-1 was a fair bit less than their current pricing.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Liked: 52
Just FYI. Two 25ft High Speed cables mated together does not make a 50ft high speed cable. In fact you will get better performance out of the same guage 50 foot cable then two 25 ft cables. The reason is every connector affects capacitance and capacitance is one of the big problems as you go to greater lengths. This is why passive cables don't meet HDMI high speed spec greater than 25 ft. The capitance alters the waveform where it is no longer recognized by the receiving device. You want to limit items that alter the capitance like port extenders, couplers, wall plates, etc.

I'm glad it worked for you if you have problems in the future with formats that use higher bandwidth you'll no where to look.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Received my 40ft RedMere cable from my cable mart Friday. Hooked everything up and now watching 3D on both my Direct TV cable and my ps3 which is split through a Monoprice Matrix 4x2 Switcher...... FINALLY!!

Btw I'm not impressed at all with the quality of 3D channels of DirectTV (waaaayyy to much ghosting) but BluRay is Awesome on the ps3
post #37 of 52 Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milez28 View Post

Received my 40ft RedMere cable from my cable mart Friday. Hooked everything up and now watching 3D on both my Direct TV cable and my ps3 which is split through a Monoprice Matrix 4x2 Switcher...... FINALLY!!

Btw I'm not impressed at all with the quality of 3D channels of DirectTV (waaaayyy to much ghosting) but BluRay is Awesome on the ps3

Thanks for reporting back Milez28. I've been looking into the RedMere cables myself. Seems like a solid option for long runs.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #38 of 52 Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I've been checking daily on the Redmere HDMI (40ft run) but the expected date keeps being pushed further and further mad.gif

It's holding up my basement project as it's the last major piece I need before I install the insulation/roxul in the space (and then drywall).

I'm going to wait till the next expected date of Aug1st, and if it slips again...I'll have to look elsewhere.
post #39 of 52 Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 19
I've been keeping an eye out for the RedMere cables as well and I will soon reach a point where I have to run the HDMI cable to the projector. I did see the 60' cables in stock for a short time, but I don't think Monoprice can produce them fast enough to meet demand.

Will likely bite the bullet and order the BJC Series 1 bonded cable and a couple of their port savers. Never heard of anyone who ran that cable ever having any kid of issues. Thought of also buying the cheaper Tartan cable as a backup run, but probably not necessary.

Personally I wouldn't allow myself to be held up by one cable. There are other choices though not as user friendly as the RedMere cables.
post #40 of 52 Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

I've been waiting for those RedMere cables too. I have my projector and my screen is on it's way. I'd really hate to be waiting on a lousy cable after I have all of my equipment. I know mycablemart has them for a crazy expensive price.

I've been seriously considering 2x25 high speed cables with a repeater in between. I'm just not sure about which repeater will work well with 3D. I don't want any problems with sync.

post #41 of 52 Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I wish Monoprice would make a fiberoptic HDMI cable.
post #42 of 52 Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quick heads up, Monoprice has the RedMere cables back in stock (all sizes). Better jump on it if you need one. They go fast.

The 60ft were listed as in stock this morning so I ordered one. I could have gotten by with 50, even 40 if I did some drilling and went below the floor with the cable run. Oh well. Mine is listed as shipped so it's on it's way.

post #43 of 52 Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, thanks for the heads up! I just ordered a 40ft and a 10 ft for myself.

I can get this project moving again smile.gif
post #44 of 52 Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you think the Monoprice Redmere is of the same quality as the Cable Mart ? I thought the Cable Mart 50' version had a larger awg, silver coated copper conductors with better shielding on the individual wires? Is this why there is such a price discrepancy?
post #45 of 52 Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

I thought one of the advantages of RedMere was smaller AWG wire. Easier to route and better bend radius. Not as stiff and hard to work with as thicker cable.

Don't know about the connector though.

post #46 of 52 Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM

I purchased a 6ft and a 40ft hdmi with RedMere. I am running from the cable box to an Onkyo HTS-3400 receiver to a 1x2 splitter out to TV and out to an LG af115 projector. The TV works great, but the projector doesn't. I ran the 40ft directly through the cable box and nothing changed. I then switched the 40ft to the TV and the 6ft to the projector, and they both work great. Is it possible that the projector won't work with an active cable?
post #47 of 52 Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM

I meant a 40ft active cable, since the projector does work with the 6ft active cable.
post #48 of 52 Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

RedMere cables are "one-way". Do you have it plugged in correctly?

post #49 of 52 Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 AM

Yes. They supposedly don't work at all if not set up properly. There seems to be something with the longer run and my projector
post #50 of 52 Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

My cables arrived in the post and I had the chance to test them both out before installing them in the walls. They both passed a 3D signal with no problems. The 10ft cable is so tiny, it makes it super easy to work around corners and edges. The 40ft is bigger but it's flexible enough to work around tight corners/bends.

I see that Monoprice pushed their dates back again. I say hang in there, and keep checking as they are totally worth it...
post #51 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

The 60ft I ordered worked out great for 2d material. We watched Empire Strikes Back the first night I had everything installed and it look great. The next night my wife wanted to watch Thor in 3D and we both noticed sparkles immediately. Looks like on Monday Monoprice will have the cables back in stock. I'm going to order the 40ft cable. I would have gotten that one in the first place but the 60ft showed up as in stock that morning I ordered so I went ahead and got one. I didn't want to wait around for a cable to play with my new toys! By the time the other cables showed up as in stock, my 60ft had already shipped. I can do a shorter run if I go under the floor instead of around the room. I'll need to do some drilling but the run will be much shorter. Hopefully that will do the trick. The sparkles are not pretty. Hopefully I can just return the 60ft.

post #52 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought 2 35' of these cables and they work stellar with everything I throw at them...I got them when they were on sale...still more than Monoprice with their sale, But they are quality HDMI cables and work perfect with my Epson 6010/comcast and Panny 210 player. I don't wait for anything. I buy when needed.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=142

Joe V.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page