Sharp XVZ17000 & Anamorphic Lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-28-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Sharp XVZ17000 projector recently as the projector central review says it is anamorphic lens compatible. However when I apply "Cinema Zoom" it only zooms the image cropping the sides not actually stretching the image vertically removing the black bars.

Can anyone else with the XVZ17000 confirm this?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Has no body else bought this projector and can test this?
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Did you check the main thread for the Z17000 to see if this topic has already been discussed. HERE is the link to that thread. Art at Projector Reviews had a review of the Z17000 nearly a year ago where he reported this projector does not support use with an anamorphic lens. Here is what he said:
Anamorphic Lens
Sharp does not support an anamorphic lens with this projector. Now, for the older 2D Z15000 that's logical. Few will spend for an anamorphic lens that costs about as much as a projector. For the new Sharp XV-Z17000 3D projector, however, with its $4995 price point, one would think an anamorphic lens might be a considered option. Certainly, one of the competitors, the new JVC RS40, which we haven't reviewed yet, sells for the same MSRP, and will support an anamorphic lens. Still, probably not more than a few percent of projector owners go 2.35:1 (or 2.37:1, or 2.40:1) and an anamorphic lens. If you must have an anamorphic lens (with or without motorized sled), you will need to look at that JVC, or perhaps some yet unannounced projector in the Sharp projector's price range.
If it not too late you may want to return the projector for a refund and perhaps consider instead the soon to be released Sharp XV-Z30000 (replacement model for the Z17000). I know the Z30000 supports lens shift, but I don't know about vertical stretching to support use with an anamorphic lens. Otherwise looking beyond Sharp but staying with DLP, then you may want to investigate the Mitsubitsi HC7800 or the BenQ W7000.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender907 View Post

Has no body else bought this projector and can test this?

If you got to the owner's thread linked above and use the "search within the thread" engine (using the term "anamorphic"), you find 3 discussion posts on the topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=20794435

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I only enquire as I bought this going by sharps own product brochure and Projector central website http://www.projectorcentral.com/shar...tor_review.htm that both list this as being anamorphic compatible.

I feel like I'm on crazy pills!
LL
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Thanks, I only enquire as I bought this going by sharps own product brochure and Projector central website http://www.projectorcentral.com/shar...tor_review.htm that both list this as being anamorphic compatible.

I feel like I'm on crazy pills!

It looks like the Sharp brochure you posted includes a note saying a "third party adapter is required to support this mode" (i.e., V-Stretch). Of course as long as the optical and mechanical characterics of this projector will allow use on an external anamorphic lens you could also use an external video processor, such as the Lumagen Radiance Mini3D, to do the vertical stretch. However, it is very misleading for the Sharp brochure to list V-Stretch as a feature then add a note in small print that says the projector really doesn't have this feature built-in. If the dealer you purchased this year-old model from will take it back and provide a refund, I would do that and buy a 2012 model 3D projector instead.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
emf

Liked: 11
"Anamorphic compatible" means your projector can do electronic Vertical Stretch, and you need a 2.35 adapter for optical horizontal stretch.

Look at your remote. Run a cinemascope movie. You might find a button called "Resize" and try it. If you are lucky, your remote has a button marked "2.35"

Keep in mind that "anamorphic compatible" provides only Vertical Stretch.

For today projectors are 16x9. Probably manufacturers are busy working on native CinemaScope aspect ratio projectors.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
emf

Widescreen Review - May/June has a review of Sharp Z17000 by Bill Cruce.

Looking through 4 pages, there is an absence of mention about Anamorphic Compatibility. The author liked the product for good picture and very good 3D, but there is no mention of any kind about Cinemascope 2.35 aspect ratio.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

This is my exact point emf, it says it's compatible however I have tried all resize modes and there is no V-stretch mode available. I understand how anamorphic works as my last Optoma projector had this function. Sharps reference to a third party adapter would relate to the lens to horizontally stretch the image back out to cinemascope 2.35. I read projector central's review of this unit before purchase and Sharps brochure which confirm Anamorphic compatibility.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 AM
emf

I'm definitely with you on crazy pill!

The brochure clearly mentions Anamorphic Compatibility. You might check firmware. Sometimes early firmware fails to activate a feature.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

This is my exact point emf, it says it's compatible however I have tried all resize modes and there is no V-stretch mode available. I understand how anamorphic works as my last Optoma projector had this function. Sharps reference to a third party adapter would relate to the lens to horizontally stretch the image back out to cinemascope 2.35. I read projector central's review of this unit before purchase and Sharps brochure which confirm Anamorphic compatibility.

Some BD players do this stretch for you. Also you can look into getting an iScan Duo. It can do the stretch and it also provides you with a good CMS.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
emf

Projectors come with video processor chip, and just about any chip has Vertical Stretch capability. Someone has to know how to get the projector to do what it already can do. A feature such as Vertical Stretch might have been designed and not implemented initially due to urgent demand to get product out to market quick, quick, quick!

The firmware needs updating, and I have no idea if Sharp has provided updating. If you can't find out right away, get your money back and study the situation at lesure.

Video Processors generally can do Vertical Stretch for the simple reason that they use a video processor similar to one in a projector, in a receiver, and in a Blu-ray player.

As much as possible, avoid Video Processors. The best are complicated and junk are also complicated. This type of product makes your life complicated and it's smart to avoid them.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have emailed sharp and they have asked for a copy of their product brochure. I purchased the projector in July but work has had me away for several months till now and hadn't picked up on it. The unit is still under warranty and the store I bought it from says it cant do much about it , it all rests on sharp.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
emf

Here's to Good Luck! Some years ago, Sharp introduced xvz20000 and it could not deal with 1080p24. Firmware fix arrived within a couple of months.

A store can't do anything about firmfware, but you have grounds for money back. You don't need an attorney to take the matter to Small Claims Court. You need documentation that a product failed to deliver what the brochure said it could do. The price paid should not exceed $7,500. This is the maximum you are allowed to claim in Small Claims Court.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

So Sharp have replied saying they have never issued such document in Australia and I should refer to the Australian sharp website for product specification and that different countries have some features others do not. I got this brochure from an Australian projector sales website.

Not sure what my next move is. Any thoughts?
post #16 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

So Sharp have replied saying they have never issued such document in Australia and I should refer to the Australian sharp website for product specification and that different countries have some features others do not. I got this brochure from an Australian projector sales website.

Not sure what my next move is. Any thoughts?

bbb.org?

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #17 of 18 Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

This was my response to them.....

I see nowhere on the document sourced from one of your dealers in Australia any watermarking indicating it being from another country. I work in a large cinema tech based business and bought this projector for the house I've just built and the purchase decision was made based on the information attached as well as confirmed by the salesman at Harvey Normal. I have sent this trail to Harvey Norman HQ and will contact consumer affairs with Sharp Australia's ABN details with the communique trail.

Please can you respond with a reasonable outcome as the product is not fit for the purpose it had been marketed and sold for; If Sharp does not resolve this issue then I will be passing this on to many of my clients that are in generally dealing in purchasing projectors in high end home cinema also writing to national AV magazines with my dissatisfaction at the Sharp Corporation of Australia.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM
emf

Probably better to start Small Claims Court proceedings. Sharp might have someone working to activate the desired feature, but that's not sure.

If you hold a product too long, that's used against you. In addition, money in the hand gives you free choice to purchase another product.

In addition, the store has a better chance of selling the product while it's new, and electronic products don't remain new for long. The store can offer the product at a discount if necessary to move it.

Note that the store won't fight about it, but you must file a claim against the dealer. The dealer might have a program with Sharp, but that's not your concern.

Both American and Australian court systems originate from English Common Law, and the general rule is that the customer has right to satisfactory purchase. If the customer is not happy, the seller has duty to return the money.

Sorry things did not work out in a happy manner for you, for your seller, and for Sharp.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page