Question as to a 1.4 HDMI cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a 50 foot HDMI cable ran to my projector through a conduit. I think I also have two cat 5 cables in there.

I'm purchasing a 3d projector and would like to display 3-d and I doubt my current cable will do it which is 3 years old.

Is there a device that will convert or upgrade the cable to allow 3d playback. I know there are baluns available that I could use for the Cat 5 cables? What's better?

Any thoughts or idea's.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

I would try your cable out when you get your projector it will probably work, also do no not go by the spec, there is to much controversial over this, actually if you goto hdmi.org you will see the cable company's are not to put the hdmi version on the box no more, to many sales people are trying to make you update your cables when you don't have to. I run a 3 year old cable 35feet long to my epson 6010 and works perfectly good in 3d
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I should have the new projector some time week and will give it a try.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 AM

post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shafer View Post

I currently have a 50 foot HDMI cable ran to my projector through a conduit. I think I also have two cat 5 cables in there.

I'm purchasing a 3d projector and would like to display 3-d and I doubt my current cable will do it which is 3 years old.

Is there a device that will convert or upgrade the cable to allow 3d playback. I know there are baluns available that I could use for the Cat 5 cables? What's better?

Any thoughts or idea's.

Thanks

You can use a HDMI over cat5 (cat6 is preffered) converter. The good ones which only require only one cat6 cable vs two are pretty expensive. I have tried several and the ones under $100 were finnicky at best. If you are not carrying audio as well the cheap ones may work better. Gefen makes a really good one.

However, tons of people have been sucessful pushing a 3D signal over HDMI 45 to 50 feet. I am doing it right now on the 45 foot 22AWG cable from monoprice. I also have a HDMI wallplate and then another 5 foot cable coming off that further reducing the signal and it still works. Its all situation dependant (the gauge and quality of your cable, are you crossing power wires, the sending signal strength and the reciever's ability to pick it up, etc)

If you have the wire run in a conduit that sounds to me like you might be able to tie one cable to another and pull it through? Its always better to elimnate adapters converters etc if possible. I only used hdmi over cat6 as a last resort in one of my apartments since I couldnt run a HDMI cable through the wall.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM

If the HDMI cable you currently have doesn't work, what about getting a new one, tying/taping/fastening the end of the old one to the other end of the new one and pulling the new one through the conduit?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
It depends on the conduit and the bends in it. With a big enough conduit and good sweeps for bends it will work fine. You might also want to attach a strong wire between them and connect each connector to that. The two HDMI connectors together can get pretty big. Otherwise, you might have to cut the old HDMI cable to do this. Another good idea is to also a pull string for future purposes.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page