Which ceiling mount for JVC DLA-RS55 (X70) projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

Which mounting equipment would you suggest for my JVC RS55 (equivalent to X70 model) projector?

I heard Chief do good mounts, and found these compatible ones:
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Mount-Finder/JVC/DLA-RS55

I don't know how much those retail for yet...

Any other suggestions of brands and specific models that would be good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Those are what I would recommend.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

What are prices for those brackets and adapters?
post #4 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Liked: 10
I have the RS55 with a Chief ceiling mount. It's definitely solid but the adjustments on the mount are really not great considering it cost me $250. It uses screws to loosen/tighten the adjustment brackets, but it requires real patience because you need to adjust by hand and the movement is not smooth or precise. It took 1/2 hour just to get the projector level.

Originally I was going to buy a Peerless Universal Ceiling Mount but the place I bought the projector convinced me that the projector was too heavy for most mounts.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the Peerless as it has a better micro-adjustment system which I believe would make the setup much easier and less frustrating.

So, wanna buy my Chief mount
post #5 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM

They are all around $250.00
post #6 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out Peerless mounts, and found these ones to be compatible with the JVC RS55 projector:

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Pr....aspx/av/14907

Any particular model I should go for ???

So those are better than the Chiefs?
post #7 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebunkie View Post

I have the RS55 with a Chief ceiling mount. It's definitely solid but the adjustments on the mount are really not great considering it cost me $250. It uses screws to loosen/tighten the adjustment brackets, but it requires real patience because you need to adjust by hand and the movement is not smooth or precise. It took 1/2 hour just to get the projector level.

Originally I was going to buy a Peerless Universal Ceiling Mount but the place I bought the projector convinced me that the projector was too heavy for most mounts.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the Peerless as it has a better micro-adjustment system which I believe would make the setup much easier and less frustrating.

So, wanna buy my Chief mount

I also was convinced, and have the Chief RPMA281. For the price, I am disappointed the mount doesn't come with material to attach it to the ceiling. How did you attach yours? 'Wood Stud Installation', 'Threaded Pipe'....
I'm concerned the pj may be to close to the ceiling without the pipe extension.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

I also was convinced, and have the Chief RPMA281. For the price, I am disappointed the mount doesn't come with material to attach it to the ceiling. How did you attach yours? 'Wood Stud Installation', 'Threaded Pipe'....
I'm concerned the pj may be to close to the ceiling without the pipe extension.

Did you purchase the custom INTERFACE bracket as well? Maybe that's why yours didn't atach properly???

And yes I will be buying an optional threaded pipe extender to have my projector 1 foot from the ceiling... Think having the projector too close to the ceiling isn't great from what I've read, as you'd be using lens shift too much and you want to use that as little as possible...
post #9 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

Did you purchase the custom INTERFACE bracket as well? Maybe that's why yours didn't atach properly???

And yes I will be buying an optional threaded pipe extender to have my projector 1 foot from the ceiling... Think having the projector too close to the ceiling isn't great from what I've read, as you'd be using lens shift too much and you want to use that as little as possible...

Sorry for the confusion. I haven't attached it yet, and yes I have the Interface bracket. I was just wondering how you presently have yours mounted. Do you now have it installed directly to the ceiling studs, and will be installing the pipe extender later. How high are your ceilings, because a 1ft drop sounds low. I assume it is not some where you can hit your head on it.
I'm anxious to instal my RS55, and will no doubt attached to the ceiling studs, then re-instal when I secure a 6" pipe extension and plate.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

There's nothing installed yet, I'm informing myself so i can make the right choice.

It's a new home I'm buying and it will be delivered to me in May. I will have a dedicated home theater room in the basement, so I wanted to take the front projection route.

I want to have the projector come 1 foot from the ceiling so the lens is closer to the center of the screen as possible (less use of lens shift). It will be mounted at 14'3" from the screen for optimal performance, and my seats will be at 10 feet from screen. No one will bump into the projector, it's at the other end of the room (17' deep room).
post #11 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

There's nothing installed yet, I'm informing myself so i can make the right choice.

It's a new home I'm buying and it will be delivered to me in May. I will have a dedicated home theater room in the basement, so I wanted to take the front projection route.

I want to have the projector come 1 foot from the ceiling so the lens is closer to the center of the screen as possible (less use of lens shift). It will be mounted at 14'3" from the screen for optimal performance, and my seats will be at 10 feet from screen. No one will bump into the projector, it's at the other end of the room (17' deep room).

What's your concern about lens shift, if the pj is built to accommodate?
post #12 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

What's your concern about lens shift, if the pj is built to accommodate?

Typically the lens is best in the center. The less lens shift that you use, the farther you stay away from the edge of the lens. The better the lens is made, the less this is a problem.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

If you're going to buy a Peerless mount buy the PRG not the PAG model, the PAG model is not very stable/solid. I have one and I'll be sending it back and buying a Cheif mount.

I haven't tryed the PRG model but Peerless tells me it's more solid than the PRG but still has some movement in the quick release mechanism, to me that = not good. THe PAG has way too much movement in the quick release.

Walter
post #14 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

So I have a choice of the Peerles PRG kit (ceiling mount, projector mount and adjustable column):

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Pr...categoryID/193

or

I go with a trio of parts from Chief:

1) So this is the mount which connects to the projector:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/RPA281

2) Then I need the ceiling plate like the CMS115:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMS115

3) Finally I need an extension column, which can be fixed or adjustable

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMS0911

or

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMS009

So the RPA281 mounts to the projector. Then the column attaches to the mount and on the other end, to the ceiling plate. Bingo. 3 parts. Is that it????

So do I go with Chief or Peerless?
post #15 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 20
The Chief can be directly mounted to the ceiling and twisted by the attaching screws in curved slots. Installation is far eaier on any mount with a ceiling flance (female 1 1/2 NT threaded socket) and a piece of threaded at each end 1 1/2 inch threaded pipe. They come as short as 2 inches, all threads.

Each mount really has only two adjustments. Left right bank and up and down tilt. That's it. Left right to put the lens perfectly parallel horizontally is accomplished normally by twisting around the pole. Top bottom parrallel is accomplished by the up down tilt. Really it makes little difference in how easy it is to do because you do it once and one vs the other may save you two minutes. I prefer the Chief RPMA but the RPA works just as well. I wouldn't stress too much about which one is best. I think the Chiefs are bettter than the Peerless, more stable over time. None come with the ceiling attaching bolts. This., the size and strength of the ceiling fastening, is nothing the mount companies want to face liability for and they pass off what is necessary to the installer with the necessary legal disclaimers.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

None come with the ceiling attaching bolts.

???

Ceiling attaching bolts?

Doesn't the ceiling plate come with the necessary bolts for the ceiling?

If not, what bolts do I have to get?

I'm confused...
post #17 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM

Liked: 20
The ceiling plates do not include wood screwes for screwing into ceiling joists. I should not have use the word bolts.

I will repeat my earlier post, the mount manufacturers deliberately and for legal liability reasons do not include screws for attaching to the ceiling. Passing the buck for the same reason, your installer or hardware store can recommend wood screws of sufficient length and size to hold your load once they know what it is. The load is obviously the weight of the projector and the mount and mount accessories.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

THe Peerless model I bought had bolts for the ceiling plate as well as inserts for the bolts.

Walter
post #19 of 20 Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM

Would the Sanus VMPR1 fit with the JVC?
post #20 of 20 Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 AM