AVS Forum banner

Knoll Systems HDO2200 - 4500 lumens!

5K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  pulledpork 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I don't know about this model, but a few years back my store was a Knoll retailer. At that time, they were very, very similar to Infocus projectors, even down to the case.

Now I don't want to throw around the term "rebadge"', but again, at that time the Knolls seemed to share a lot of not all technology with Infocus.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan /forum/post/21463989

I don't know about this model, but a few years back my store was a Knoll retailer. At that time, they were very, very similar to Infocus projectors, even down to the case.

Now I don't want to throw around the term "rebadge"', but again, at that time the Knolls seemed to share a lot of not all technology with Infocus.

I checked the Projector Central database and they show no Infocus projector that resembles the Knoll either in looks or in specs. Maybe Knoll contracted Infocus or some other firm to build a projector to their specs.

#5 ·
Knoll sells a number of PJ's that are rebadged other brands, but because they do something to them they can be called manufactoried by Knoll. There are lots of Business class high power PJs out there.

The hard thing is to find a true HT PJ with that kind of output at a decent price.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/21465484

It looks allot like the Vivitek, but when you use Projector Central's lumen calculator it comes out twice as bright. Either this is an error or they changed it to give it better contrast and thus a higher lumen rating when used for movies.

Usually anything you do to the projector to increase the contrast, decreases the lumens.

#8 ·
I know. I was implying they improved the light engine somehow in a unique way to improve contrast. Sometimes that happens as well. Projector Central's calculator crushes the light output of projectors that do not provide good contrast. The Knoll seemed to get "Presentation Mode" specs when locked in "Movie Mode" settings on the calculator. Must be a mistake, or they have something new.

Probably a mistake. Check out the lumen output for a 147" screen for the Vivitek vs. the Knoll.

#9 ·
I personally wouldn't put any stock in PJC's calculator for lumens or screen brightness, given that there's no information on where from or how they get the numbers they use for it.

If you want a really bright projector with good contrast for home theater, unfortunately you've basically got to look at Projection Design, Digital Projection Inc, Sim2 and the like.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/21464261

I checked the Projector Central database and they show no Infocus projector that resembles the Knoll either in looks or in specs. Maybe Knoll contracted Infocus or some other firm to build a projector to their specs.

Like I said, I am not going to call the knoll a rebadge since I dont have the expertise to do so.

BUT, if you look at the other projectors in the Knoll lineup, they are identical in appearance to Infocus products.

But you are right, it is possible in this case they did exactly as you say, and it is indeed a unique product.

If you have a large screen, this might be the ticket!

#11 ·
I emailed Projector Central and suggested their projector calculator for this projector may be off because it comes out so bright. They have not changed it. Maybe the projector is really factory calibrated so they do not need to change it. Someone should check this out first hand.

Factory calibrated to 6500° (D65) and color balance for a true cinema experience.

Super bright image. 4500 ANSI lumens allows viewing in higher ambient light conditions and on much larger screens.

Native 1080p (1920x1080) resolution. The highest resolution possible.

DLP® DarkChip™ and BrilliantColor™ technologies from TI and Maxplay™ with Knoll calibration.

Maximum 3000 hour lamp life and the fan is whisper-quiet at 26dB.

RS-232c port for automation and 12V trigger for simple screen/projector automation functionality.

#12 ·
Knolls Systems is local where I live, few years back I was going to buy a projector directly from Kevin Knolls. He was telling me that they were buying the projectors from Infocus but all the software in the projector was from Knolls and thats why they weren't just "rebranded".

I didnt end up buying one from Kevin but my boss did and has had a lot of enjoyment from it over the last 4 years.

#13 ·
Knoll Systems HDO2200
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Knol...ms-HDO2200.htm

I finally called Knoll Systems and found the MSRP is only $2,999. According to Projector Central's calculator, it is brighter than most 3 chip DLP machines. I emailed Projector Central asking if they had made a mistake and they stuck by their numbers.

Has anyone seen this projector in action? Maybe it disobeys the laws of physics? Maybe some new technology?

What gives?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/21926052

Knoll Systems HDO2200
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Knol...ms-HDO2200.htm

I finally called Knoll Systems and found the MSRP is only $2,999. According to Projector Central's calculator, it is brighter than most 3 chip DLP machines.

That's really not that hard, assuming you're talking home theater 3 DLP machines, there's lots of business class DLPs that are in the 4000-5000 Lumen range.

What is hard is doing that with contrast that would be considered acceptable in a Home Theater environment. That's really what you're paying for with a 3 DLP machine, high brightness and high contrast. This thing is only claiming 3000:1 contrast, which really is nothing to write home about.

#15 ·
The contrast ratio of 3,000:1 is a very low number unless it is ANSI and it is not in this case. Most Prjectors are below 400 ANSI contrast but list absolute contrast. 3000:1 is not bad, but not great for a home theater. Without seeing the PJ, it woul dbe hard to make a determination.

#16 ·
Yes, but they are claiming to have it calibrated for home theater, not for presentations. Play around with the Projector Central screen calculator and see it reads brighter than a 3 chip 2 bulb Digital Projection DLP. Usually a bright 1 chip machine like that comes out dim compared to its presentation specifications. This one is supposed to be color perfect at the full 4500 lumens, which no other 1 chip machine claims in that brightness category.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/21926934

Play around with the Projector Central screen calculator and see it reads brighter than a 3 chip 2 bulb Digital Projection DLP.

A DPI is going to have way better contrast and an overall much better image. There's really no reason to think anything special is going on here, it's spec'd and priced like a bright business machine.

#18 ·
If you believe their number that they have a 4500 lumen calibrated at D65 machine and seem to be the only one who can provide this at under $30,000 go for it. Otherwise no it will not produce 4500 lumens calibrated and if it does it will not have what many consider good contrast.

You have to remember good, low noise, bright, etc etc are not defined and what you think is bright is not to someone else. What you think is a good contrast is not to another. You have to decide if this is good enough for you.

Look at the CRE thread they claim 3000 lumens from a LED chipset that nobody else has been able to get even 1000 calibrated lumens, yet the company stands by their 3000 lumen claim and say color are very good. If you consider everything being redish or yellow very good then yes... for most of us we would not consider that to be good.

#20 ·
new here.... thanks for the warm-welcome !!

have one running right now in my "Lab"

has decent light-output.... grey screen / high-ambient

will know more by next week when we install

I suspect they have to remove at least one segment of color wheel ( as do other manufacturers) when attempting

to achieve these output specs.

#22 ·
just hung it from ceiling mount, in light controlled room.

Not calibrated yet. fairly bright.... terrible artifacts of some sort. not sure if it is mirror "dither" or other blotchy artifacts that

are potentially related to the cable signal .... although I have never seen these same artifacts on this same system / cable box

( with other projectors)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.