post #991 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Something else to keep in mind is this does not have a huge amount of lens shift an 0 offset to start. Placing it on a table that was high enough for my old DPL HC3000 with offset, was not high enough to move the image onto the screen. So if you plan on ceiling mounting it, I think you would need to make sure you were well within the screen, not even with or above.. might be a deal breaker. Best install is center of screen, also that is the location it needs to be for the HP screen.. just over your head.

I beg to differ.
The Z30K has very good lens shift for a DLP. You can place the center of the lens anywhere below the top edge of the screen and be OK. That's where ours is now...
Also, if you need maximum gain, then getting the location near the center of the High Power screen (and close to eye level) is important. However, you will get a gain boost with a ceiling mount on the High Power. Each situation is a little different, but I've read 1.3 to 1.4 gain, and on our set up, it seems about this much. It's almost too bright in Movie 1, but OK in Stage (3D).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I beg to differ.
The Z30K has very good lens shift for a DLP. You can place the center of the lens anywhere below the top edge of the screen and be OK. That's where ours is now...
Also, if you need maximum gain, then getting the location near the center of the High Power screen (and close to eye level) is important. However, you will get a gain boost with a ceiling mount on the High Power. Each situation is a little different, but I've read 1.3 to 1.4 gain, and on our set up, it seems about this much. It's almost too bright in Movie 1, but OK in Stage (3D).

Yes, that is what I said,, within the screen.. not below or above..
I do not really agree with your statement about gain from a ceiling mounted projector and an HP screen unless you have a long drop poll. I have been using the HP screen for 3 years and any more the 24" over you head and the gain is gone.. at least with the 2.8 which I have, and I have test the 2.4 which in my book is even more narrow as there is less gain to start with. Anyway not the thread to debate the HP.
Just moved mine to a 48" tall cabinet that should just about center it but it is now going to be father out of my visual plane when reclined than when table mounted.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . Guess I will have to build something so I can have an adjustable shelf. I also noticed the focus issue I had read about where you are real sharp on one side and not the other when I had it close to max shift. I hope that is reduce when I am in the center with little to no shift.
post #993 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The 2.4 gain starts out less, but it actually drops off way slower than the 2.8 gain. If he mounted the PJ just below the top of the screen, he is getting some decent gain usually, depends on how high his screen is off the ground, how high he sits, and all that jazz.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #994 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm on the edge about ordering the Z30000. A few questions for those have a better grasp than I. (please note if you've seen any of these models first hand)

A little background. I have light controlled black/brown room theater room. Black ceiling and front wall, Dark brown carpet with lighter brown side walls. The first 4.5ft from the screen will be blacked out on the side walls. I sit about 12.5ft back. I can mount the Z30K directly in the middle or near the top of my screen (mostly likely near the top) at 18ft. I'm satisfied with the brightness my Sanyo PLV-Z000 outputs on a 92" in Eco mode (new bulb)... but.....

1: Lumens: I've already built the false wall/frame for a 138" CIH (2.35:1) Spandex (White/Silver) acoustically transparent screen. I'm not a brightness freak by any means (sensitive eyes) but I do like the image to retain a certain level of "Pop". Will this size/AT screen lose too many lumens with the Z30K? I'm guessing it will be fine on 2D, but 2.35:1 3D might be a bit much at 138"? I may have to use lens memory to downsize it to 16x9"?. My only other CIH choices would be JVC's RS40, RS45, RS46, Panasonic's PT-AE8000 and Mitsubishi's HC5 (motorized lens workaround). My concerns are JVC's bulbs and the poor 3D. As well as Panasonic's PT-AE8000 non-sealed light path (aka dust blobs).

2: Black Level: Do I have this down in order? Deeper blacks to lighter? JVC DLA-RS46, Epson 5020UB, Sony VPL-HW50ES, Panasonic PT-AE8000 < followed closely by > Mitsubishi HC5, Sony VPL-HW30ES < followed closely by > Sharp XV-Z30000? (Black levels are important to me, but I'm guessing any of these would be a nice step up over my PLV-Z2000. I assume I'd be happy with any of them *hoping*

3: Operating Cost: What is the lowest cost people have encountered for Z30000 original OEM bulbs?

Bottom line: This year I was going to go all out, but to get a projector that does nearly everything right is going to put me way above what I'd like to spend. I might as well wait a few more years with a stepping-stone projector that will hold me over until 4K comes down to real world pricing. I'm stuck between two poisons (Sharp's great 3D and satisfactory black levels or JVC's great black levels and laughable 3D) ... I put black levels above 3D, but having great 3D is something I would like to have as well.. Wow factor for guests. I'm also a sharpness freak and that's another talking point for the Z30K ... I hate tough decisions confused.gif

edit: Looks as though the Mitsubishi HC5 is on my watch list with it's motorized lens.. decisions... decisions

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 900+

post #995 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post

I am on the edge of pulling the trigger on the woot deal.

Is the Woot deal still available? Does anyone have a link to it? Just curious. Thanks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #996 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post

This may be a silly question, I am on the edge of pulling the trigger on the woot deal. Does this projector even have any competition at its sale price? The main thing holding me back from purchase is its brightness, I wish it had a bit more output. Environment will be mostly light controlled, I have two egress windows in my basement that I will need to purchase more significant blinds for. I planned on buying a 120" screen and didn't want to go crazy with high gain material which I should be able to get away for 2D content (~16ft ceiling mounted), but 3D at that size most likely is not feasible.

In my setup, the Sharp 30K is ~ 16 feet from my 142" 16:9. I measured ~950 D65 lumens in Stage Mode. Sony HW50 is ~1000, BQ W7000 is ~1100 and Epson 5020 in the torch mode can be tamed to near D65 @ ~1200 lumens.

For 3D, I calibrate behind the glasses which does cost some lumens. 30k = ~600, HW50 = ~800, BQ W7000 = ~900, 5020 = ~ 1000.

This gives you some frame of reference between some of the popular models.The W7000 is a comparable price point with the benefits of some extra lumens vs. a noticeable contrast difference . The contrast difference is mainly seen during dark scenes in a lights out scenario. This is a tough price point $1799 since there isn't a lot of competition here. mid 2k+ for the entry JVC, 5020 and 3K+ for the HW50.

@ josh - 1 day left. ..

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/sharp-full-hd-3d-2d-dlp-projector-3
post #997 of 1702 Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

I'm on the edge about ordering the Z30000. A few questions for those have a better grasp than I. (please note if you've seen any of these models first hand)

2: Black Level: Do I have this down in order? Deeper blacks to lighter? JVC DLA-RS46, Epson 5020UB, Sony VPL-HW50ES, Panasonic PT-AE8000 < followed closely by > Mitsubishi HC5, Sony VPL-HW30ES < followed closely by > Sharp XV-Z30000? (Black levels are important to me, but I'm guessing any of these would be a nice step up over my PLV-Z2000. I assume I'd be happy with any of them *hoping*

Hmm, 138" 2.35 with no gain, errr, I think you are ok I guess with the Sharp but you might prefer it in its brighter modes. At least the Sharp has "ok looking" near absolute brightest mode according to Art @ PR. I personally wouldn't do a 1.0 gain screen that large with any of these projectors other than a Sony vw1000es, but that's just me.

I think more than likely it goes like this:
JVC > Sony hw50 >= Mits 9000d (not sure if sony really beats it, maybe not) > Sony hw30 >= Epson 5020 > Panasonic PT-AE8000 > Sharp xvz-30000

We will know for sure after Zombie tests the hc5 / hc9000d in an A/B.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #998 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
fpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One question. To not use this projector lens shift we place:

- In the middle of the screen respect to the horizontal
- At the top or bottom of the screen respect to the vertically.

Is this correct?
post #999 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
To not use lens shift the projector gets placed dead center of the screen.
post #1000 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

"Bottom line: This year I was going to go all out, but to get a projector that does nearly everything right is going to put me way above what I'd like to spend. I might as well wait a few more years with a stepping-stone projector that will hold me over until 4K comes down to real world pricing. I'm stuck between two poisons (Sharp's great 3D and satisfactory black levels or JVC's great black levels and laughable 3D) ... I put black levels above 3D, but having great 3D is something I would like to have as well.. Wow factor for guests. I'm also a sharpness freak and that's another talking point for the Z30K ... I hate tough decisions confused.gif"

I too did not want to sink a huge chunk of cash into something, just to have Sony update the W95ES or have JVC figure out there 3D issues this year...

I went through the same dilemma. Art @ PR originally recommended the Epson. The 5010 was on sale for <$2k a few months back. I almost got it.

At the end of the day, I'm coming from years of DLP. The native sharpness was the decider.
I was concerned that the high ceiling mount would make the 3D too dim, but despite posts to the contrary, I'm convinced that we get a small "kick" in gain from our High Power. Not much, only 1.3 -1.4, but it's enough to enjoy 3D with no issues on 110" diagonal.
Also, Art says the Z30K qualifies as a "high contrast" PJ. Everything is relative. After getting immersed in the movie "black is black". If you see the JVC and the Sharp pictures side by side it's another issue...

We have a media room, that doubles as a theater at night. Plasma TV technology is at a similar "nexus" in time. It's about maxed out and the pictures are stunning. Next up is OLED. While we're waiting for "real world" prices on OLED, competition on the old "mature" technology has driven prices down to really low levels. No matter what you try to do with projector brightness, without total light control, the picture suffers. When we watch daytime TV, or even for casual nighttime viewing, we turn on a Panasonic 65" VT series plasma. It was <$2K , at the end of last year. With all due respect to projectors and the great pictures they put out, including the JVC, there is no comparison...

As for the "stepping stone" projector solution, here was the decider for me:
As I said, after getting immersed in the movie "black is black", but blurry is blurry. Sharpness wins out...YRMV.

As to weather of not the Sharp has any competition at <$2K? Amazingly (to me), it does. Times have changed. However, if you want motorized controls and a 3 year warranty...
Art @ PR named it "best in class" for a reason, and he looks at a lot of PJs (my $.02).
post #1001 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I think more than likely it goes like this:
JVC > Sony hw50 >= Mits 9000d (not sure if sony really beats it, maybe not) > Sony hw30 >= Epson 5020 > Panasonic PT-AE8000 > Sharp xvz-30000

We will know for sure after Zombie tests the hc5 / hc9000d in an A/B.
That should be correct, with one remark. Sony HW50 uses dynamic iris, Mitsubishi don't. For best native contrast 1st goes JVC (30000:1 for lower end model), 2nd Mitsubishi (universally agreed number 20000:1, one reviewer measured 30000:1 at maximum throw distance, iris half-closed), 3rd Sony (6500:1).
post #1002 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

That should be correct, with one remark. Sony HW50 uses dynamic iris, Mitsubishi don't. For best native contrast 1st goes JVC (30000:1 for lower end model), 2nd Mitsubishi (universally agreed number 20000:1, one reviewer measured 30000:1 at maximum throw distance, iris half-closed), 3rd Sony (6500:1).

Points well taken.
A few years ago, great blacks were rare. You had to pay big $ to get them. Times have changed. Any of the above mentioned choices will put out a stunning picture, in a light controlled room...
If you see them side by side, then you are bound to notice the differences. That's what pro reviewers do...
If you are watching a film in your own home, then perhaps, on some content (especially people in this forum smile.gif)
The question is, as Zombie said, is that last shade of black worth another $1K or $2K or more? Everyone has to make that call themselves...

To me, it comes down to a combination of "real world" factors, including contrast and cost.eek.gif

There is no perfect projector out there. Yet. Come on Sony!!!
SiggUA likes this.
post #1003 of 1702 Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

I'm a gamer as well. [ ... ] Unless you are a professional gamer it shouldn't change your overall capability. However playing on 120" screen is not ideal for shooters. Way to big! biggrin.gif

Hey Chad711, thanks for the gaming feedback. I'm feeling better and better about gaming on the 30K!
post #1004 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm late to this thread and am not able to read through the whole thing right now. I made a (very) last-minute decision last night to order a Z30000 from the Woot deal in order to have a 3D-dedicated projector to supplement my JVC (which is useless for 3D).

Can someone summarize the replacement lamp issue? If the original Sharp lamps are not available, are there generics compatible with this model?

Any other major issues with this model that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Josh Z

post #1005 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm late to this thread and am not able to read through the whole thing right now. I made a (very) last-minute decision last night to order a Z30000 from the Woot deal in order to have a 3D-dedicated projector to supplement my JVC (which is useless for 3D).

Can someone summarize the replacement lamp issue? If the original Sharp lamps are not available, are there generics compatible with this model?

Any other major issues with this model that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

I use the 30K for the same purpose, RS55 for 2D, 30K for 3D. Original replacement lamp/housing are available from AVS, Mike and Craig can get them relatively quick.

The lamp modules I sourced from a supplier in china are definitely OEM, but they recently sold out. I am trying to find out if they are getting more and also looking for alternative sources. If you guys want to do some searching around, the module is an SHP135.

I recommend buying the Sharp G20 glasses. They are more comfortable with larger lenses than the G10 glasses it ships with. Amazon had them for ~$50 a pop.
post #1006 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Zombie!

Josh Z

post #1007 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Look what was waiting for me when I got home!

post #1008 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Look what was waiting for me when I got home!

Make that two of us. Mine got here today too! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #1009 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post

Make that two of us. Mine got here today too! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Was wondering when you were going to chime in biggrin.gif
post #1010 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

About to fire it up cool.gif

Anybody has some good settings to star with?

Was thinking of using Art's from PR to start with and go from there unless somebody says differently.

I got the Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition so I'll use that too.
post #1011 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I like it bright, so I generally use Stage mode for 2D and 3D. The main difference between this mode and movie mode is the iris settings and a few other tweaks. You can move between modes and see what is changing on the menu to make adjustments.

try -1 on the gamma, it's a little too high with the default settings. I tested 3 lamps that were pretty close to one another, the last was -6 on red and -4 on blue.

For those daring to break out the screwdriver, I think I found another vendor with the OEM Sharp lamp.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-SHP135-original-phoenix-projector-lamp-bulb-for-projectors/831605919.html

I had a nice talk with one of their reps who sent this photo of the original lamp. They sell it for $130, it's usually $160. price is good until next Tuesday.

This is identical to the one I received from a different vendor and it's definitely the original Phoenix lamp. Shipping is free via snail mail (2-3 weeks) or $23 via 3-5 day DHL. I previously ordered two and paid the extra shipping since it was still a good deal.

sharp30-lamp.jpg

** warning - take the labels off the lamp before installing it. They will burn. Ask me how I know.

Scrap them off and then use rubbing alcohol to get the glue / fingerprints off before re-assembling into the housing.
post #1012 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

** warning - take the labels off the lamp before installing it. They will burn. Ask me how I know.
How do you know? rolleyes.gif
Zombie, how did you find out that this lamp will fit Z30000 in the first place? What if I want to do the same for my HC5?
post #1013 of 1702 Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The lamp was clearly labeled with the model number. Take apart the lamp and see if there are any obvious markings so we can start looking around.
post #1014 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The lamp was clearly labeled with the model number. Take apart the lamp and see if there are any obvious markings so we can start looking around.

Is it possible that the JVC RS4x lamps might be eligible for this method of lamp replacement? I hate to remove the lamp on my RS40 as it's working well right now. This would be a great find for all of the beleaguered RS4x owners.

Jack
post #1015 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I like it bright, so I generally use Stage mode for 2D and 3D. The main difference between this mode and movie mode is the iris settings and a few other tweaks. You can move between modes and see what is changing on the menu to make adjustments.

try -1 on the gamma, it's a little too high with the default settings. I tested 3 lamps that were pretty close to one another, the last was -6 on red and -4 on blue.

For those daring to break out the screwdriver, I think I found another vendor with the OEM Sharp lamp.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-SHP135-original-phoenix-projector-lamp-bulb-for-projectors/831605919.html

I had a nice talk with one of their reps who sent this photo of the original lamp. They sell it for $130, it's usually $160. price is good until next Tuesday.

This is identical to the one I received from a different vendor and it's definitely the original Phoenix lamp. Shipping is free via snail mail (2-3 weeks) or $23 via 3-5 day DHL. I previously ordered two and paid the extra shipping since it was still a good deal.

sharp30-lamp.jpg

Scrap them off and then use rubbing alcohol to get the glue / fingerprints off before re-assembling into the housing.

What is the approx. hours for these lamps?
post #1016 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Is it possible that the JVC RS4x lamps might be eligible for this method of lamp replacement? I hate to remove the lamp on my RS40 as it's working well right now. This would be a great find for all of the beleaguered RS4x owners.

I've been looking around for the source of the JVC lamp for quite a while. If I were to guess, they somehow have a lockdown on the lamp being sold, or it's a unique piece designed specifically for JVC. The SHP135 Sharp lamp is apparently used in other Sharp projectors besides the 30K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

What is the approx. hours for these lamps?

it's hard to know how long any of these lamps will last, the manufacturers typically list 2000, 3000 hours, etc. I believe these are rated @ 2000 hours.
post #1017 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Question: Does this projector have any sort of 3D convergence or depth strength adjustment settings, or are those all locked?

Josh Z

post #1018 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
There is a 3D depth adjustment setting. I have never felt a need to even look at it. The 3D image OOB is stellar; any adjustment seems superfluous. I suppose it is a matter of preference, but it is not needed to control crosstalk or ghosting.
post #1019 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

If anyone missed out on the last deal, here it is again!

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/sharp-full-hd-3d-2d-dlp-projector-4
post #1020 of 1702 Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
but only a 1 year war???.. thought is was 3yrs
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread - P65vt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page