Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP
dougri's Avatar dougri 12:12 PM 12-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Sharp is in trouble as a company. They dropped out of this segment several years ago. The XV17000 was nothing more than a business unit that was tweaked for HT use. Sharp unfortunately still believes they are a Runco type company in this segment. Sorry but too much time has passed since they were formidable players in the the high-end DLP market. The XV30000 should be priced to compete with units like HW50 and 5020/6020.

seems street prices are starting to come in line with that expectation... would like to see some more user experiences here on AVS... especially in comparison to the new crop of ~$3K 3D PJs.

ondaedg's Avatar ondaedg 08:04 AM 12-14-2012
Because they've dropped the pricing down to sub 3k, this projector should be included in more conversations.
Ranger's Avatar Ranger 08:12 AM 12-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

Because they've dropped the pricing down to sub 3k, this projector should be included in more conversations.

Yes, I agree. Definitely competitive at sub 3k. This may be a poor man's Runco LS-3/ LS-5.
Ilya Volk's Avatar Ilya Volk 12:58 PM 12-14-2012
Yeah, someone who spends ~3k on a toy, thats definitely a very poor man. smile.gif
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 05:30 PM 12-14-2012
[Use name="Ranger" url="/t/1386035/sharp-xv-z30000-3d-dlp/90#post_22702811"]
Yes, I agree. Definitely competitive at sub 3k. This may be a poor man's Runco LS-3/ LS-5.[/quote]

The LS-3 and 5 will have a couple distinct advantages over this model. The big ones are a better lens, better video processing, and most notably they both use the larger DLP DMDs. This will result in better contrast natively and a sharper picture, especially combined with the better lens.

Though this model does have an FI system and does 3D. For strict 2D viewing both runco models should look a step up in over all PQ.
dougri's Avatar dougri 06:53 PM 12-14-2012
Agreed on all counts except FI... no FI on this one. They should be a step up for the price difference. I think it is more similar to the new Mitsu DLP, but with better placement flexibility and without the 2D-3D conversion or FI. The reviews have been pretty positive (especially the hometheatermag review), really a pick your compromise proposition... 3D (z30000) vs blacks (RS46) vs balanced (HW50es)... I'd say sports for the Sharp as well, but without seeing it in person, I'm not willing to say that without FI. Honestly, my biggest worry with it would be support if Sharp exits the marketplace or goes belly up as a company. For those with modestly sized screens (142" is not modest, zombie), the z30000 looks like a decent alternative to the Sony as a good all-'rounder giving up a little black level for 3D performance and saving a few $ as well. Certainly sounds better than the BenQ if it is bright enough and you want a 1 PJ solution.
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 10:30 PM 12-14-2012
Oh wow, I was mistaken. I thought it had an FI system.
dougri's Avatar dougri 11:20 PM 12-14-2012
Yup... surprised me as well... if I end up buying it, maybe I'll just have to hack together something that converts 2D signals to 720p120Hz input with identical R/L images. Can't be that difficult, right wink.gif
ondaedg's Avatar ondaedg 10:27 PM 12-15-2012
The fact that it has a faster color wheel than the mits or benq has my interest.
Ranger's Avatar Ranger 05:54 AM 12-16-2012
Few reviews have said this projector is rainbow free. I've seen the old Z17000 and it's almost rainbow free so the Z30000 should be better. It's on my radar screen now that it's going for 2.6K on Ebay.
dougri's Avatar dougri 09:11 AM 12-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Few reviews have said this projector is rainbow free. I've seen the old Z17000 and it's almost rainbow free so the Z30000 should be better. It's on my radar screen now that it's going for 2.6K on Ebay.

2 pairs glasses included and a 3 yr warranty presumably add some value as well... would like to see more critical in-home experiences though from avs'ers.
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 08:18 PM 12-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

There will never be a projector that is rainbow free when there is a color wheel being used. I've never seen this one in person, but from reviews I've read it seems that this one fairs really well in the rainbow department. I've heard that this is similar to the Mitsubishi HC7800D, which I've owned, and that was one of the best I've seen in regards to rainbows. When I see people talking about rainbows I never understand why. I see them but I'm never really distracted by them. Maybe others see them "more" than me or they are just a lot more intense? So those wondering about RBE should rest assure that they should show up less than most other single chip DLPs.
ondaedg's Avatar ondaedg 04:22 PM 12-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

There will never be a projector that is rainbow free when there is a color wheel being used. I've never seen this one in person, but from reviews I've read it seems that this one fairs really well in the rainbow department. I've heard that this is similar to the Mitsubishi HC7800D, which I've owned, and that was one of the best I've seen in regards to rainbows. When I see people talking about rainbows I never understand why. I see them but I'm never really distracted by them. Maybe others see them "more" than me or they are just a lot more intense? So those wondering about RBE should rest assure that they should show up less than most other single chip DLPs.

It's not so much the rainbows for me, but the nausea and headaches that slower color wheels can cause. The Mits HD1000u (which had a very slow CW) caused headaches and slight motion sickness for me after an hour or so. I switched to an Infocus 7210 which has a 5x color wheel and the headaches and nausea were completely gone. So in my mind, the faster the color wheel, the better whether it's rainbows, headaches, etc.
hpfish10's Avatar hpfish10 03:54 PM 01-03-2013
I have Sharp Z10k and am also thinking to get the Z30000. Do you need to get a different mount bracket/plate when you replace the Z9000 with the Z30000? Thanks
anilrao's Avatar anilrao 08:44 PM 01-03-2013
Yes, I had to replace the mounting bracket; the screws attached to the projector are in a different location.
hpfish10's Avatar hpfish10 10:59 PM 01-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrao View Post

Yes, I had to replace the mounting bracket; the screws attached to the projector are in a different location.
May I know what model/size of mounting plate did you get and where did you buy it? Thanks.
anilrao's Avatar anilrao 02:58 PM 01-04-2013
PCMD All-Metal Projector Ceiling Mount with 14" Extension for Sharp XV-Z30000
I'm not sure I can post the name of the retailer, but search on line; it is easy to find.
dougri's Avatar dougri 07:32 AM 01-09-2013
@anilrao... Can you determine if the xv-z30000 exhibits any frame judder with 24p content? The hometheater.com review states it uses 3:2 pulldown, but the manual states it has a film mode which (if on 'auto' rather than 'off') detects 24p content and displays it properly (I'm assuming they do not mean 3:2 pulldown here!). I'm wondering if the reviewer left the film-mode option in 'off', as it makes no sense to have a film mode explicitly intended to handle 24p content that implements 3:2 pulldown. Messages left with Sharp as well... will post when repsonse received.
anilrao's Avatar anilrao 02:33 PM 01-09-2013
I'll take a look once I get home.
dougri's Avatar dougri 05:05 PM 01-09-2013
Well... I think you can scratch 'getting an answer from Sharp' off the list... after failing to connect with live-chat whenever I've tried over the past month (the one time I got through it said 'waiting for agent for two hours, then connected to an agent who promptly disconnected when I failed to respond after 30 seconds), and waiting on hold for 15 minutes for a technical service rep in the home theater projector group who could not answer the question... offered to take my information and pass it on to his supervisor. I asked if it would go through the same channel as email inquiries and he said yes... I sent them two emails dating to six weeks ago (no response to either). Posted a question today on the product page... maybe it will get answered there??? Gosh, if I were a skeptic, I might begin to doubt the Sharp CES presentation that stated their financial condition is improving tongue.gif
anilrao's Avatar anilrao 04:11 PM 01-10-2013
Ok, I looked at film based material at 1080i with film mode auto on and off and couldn't see any difference. I noticed no judder.
Chris Matney's Avatar Chris Matney 08:32 PM 01-14-2013
FYI I was informed of a groupon deal for the sharp 4 glasses and a ceiling mount. Being my first projector I'm fairly pumped, I was really looking for a DLP and this one fits the bil... No FI though rolleyes.gif
dougri's Avatar dougri 08:40 PM 01-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Matney View Post

FYI I was informed of a groupon deal for the sharp 4 glasses and a ceiling mount. Being my first projector I'm fairly pumped, I was really looking for a DLP and this one fits the bil... No FI though rolleyes.gif

looks like a good deal... especially if you need a mount. sales tax sours the deal a bit though (at least for me).
pliesj's Avatar pliesj 07:49 AM 02-01-2013
I have been tempted by this projector except for its low brightness (especially in eco mode). Has there been any word (or even speculation) on whether Sharp will be introducing a follow-on model in the near future?
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 09:05 AM 02-01-2013
Considering Sharp is in a similar financial situation like Sony it's hard to say. They did just announce new business models so maybe they have a successor in the works. Probably not though. Sharp doesn't seem to be like JVC or Epson. Models don't usually come every year so it may be a while until we see another model from Sharp. They don't own enough market share at this price point to justify a new model each year.
tradewinds's Avatar tradewinds 08:05 AM 02-04-2013
This is sub 2k today via group coupon. Is it worth it over the BenQ W1070? The latter is too short throw for my room (and would require some rework) although everyone seems to love it very much.
pliesj's Avatar pliesj 08:11 AM 02-04-2013
"group coupon"? Is that publicly available somewhere?
tradewinds's Avatar tradewinds 08:18 AM 02-04-2013
sorry....my mistake for the confusion, thought it was obvious. group coupon = groupon
pliesj's Avatar pliesj 08:22 AM 02-04-2013
Thanks. I was being dense.
68sting's Avatar 68sting 09:04 AM 02-04-2013
Anybody else have an opinion on this deal?
Tags: Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop