Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1661 Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I took a measurement last night with my new light meter using the 100 ire full screen white test pattern from the AVS test disc.The room was in total darkness, meter was held flat up against the center of the screen (Wilsonart DW 1.25 gain). Projector had been running for about an hour.

The Sharp 30k which has the replacement lamp from China (has about 40 hours on it) measured 18.2 fc.

It was in eco lamp mode, stage 2D, Iris 1 set for max brightness, iris 2 auto.

Using the AccuPel calculator (calculated brightness parameters from 'illuminance'). If I did this correctly, I'm showing 777.67 lumens:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1661 Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post

I took a measurement last night with my new light meter using the 100 ire full screen white test pattern from the AVS test disc.The room was in total darkness, meter was held flat up against the center of the screen (Wilsonart DW 1.25 gain). Projector had been running for about an hour.

The Sharp 30k which has the replacement lamp from China (has about 40 hours on it) measured 18.2 fc.

Using the AccuPel calculator (calculated brightness parameters from 'illuminance'). If I did this correctly, I'm showing 777.67 lumens:

How did that compare with OEM lamp?
post #1503 of 1661 Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I'll be testing the original lamp the next time I swap them out. I'm rotating them every 50 hours or so.

Meanwhile, for comparison, I also want to check my Panny 7000, and Epson 5020.

BTW, Am I doing this correctly??
post #1504 of 1661 Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have no idea.
Perhaps Zombie will turn off the Sony 4K and chime in...
What's the reasoning behind rotating the lamps?
post #1505 of 1661 Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:

I have no idea.
Perhaps Zombie will turn off the Sony 4K and chime in...
What's the reasoning behind rotating the lamps?

Not rotating the lamps. Rotating the projectors. The one I'm currently using has the China lamp. When I switch over to the one with the OEM lamp, I'll take a reading to compare.

I checked my Epson 5020 last night. I run it in eco mode, THX setting. With these settings it produces 14.2 fc for 606.76 lumens.
post #1506 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 AM
fpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Have you taken measurements in high lamp mode?
post #1507 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpr View Post

Have you taken measurements in high lamp mode?

No. I never use it. Really only concerned with keeping track of the lumens my projectors output at my preferred settings.

I'm curious to find out how much brightness I'll be losing as the lamps age. So I'll probably be taking readings every 100 hours or so.
post #1508 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 AM
fpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

No. I never use it. Really only concerned with keeping track of the lumens my projectors output at my preferred settings.

I'm curious to find out how much brightness I'll be losing as the lamps age. So I'll probably be taking readings every 100 hours or so.

Do not you are using the high lamp mode for 3D?

I think that 22.75 Fl is very low ligth for 3D
post #1509 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not rotating the lamps. Rotating the projectors. The one I'm currently using has the China lamp. When I switch over to the one with the OEM lamp, I'll take a reading to compare.

I checked my Epson 5020 last night. I run it in eco mode, THX setting. With these settings it produces 14.2 fc for 606.76 lumens.

I'm trying to figure out your set up...Somehow I missed that you had two Sharp Z30Ks? Are you stacking them for 3D? If so, then is it for a brightness issue?
Do you have a high gain screen?
It seems like you are a multiple PJ guy like Zombie. Is the Z30K relegated to just 3D duty?
With multiple Sharps and lamps, why worry about "eco" settings? Lamp costs are low, 3D brightness is important...
In our own HT, I often have the Z30k on "Movie1" for movies. It's a low lamp setting. However for Sports and 3D it's high lamp.
We also got a second lamp as an "insurance" policy.
post #1510 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Yes indeed. I do have 2 Sharp 30k's. smile.gif

I think the Sharp 30k is plenty bright enough for 2D on my 1.25 gain screen in eco mode in my completely darkened home theater.

It automatically shifts into a higher brightness mode for 3D (at least I think it does, as the fan gets a bit louder) which is also plenty bright for me. I have not tried stacking yet.

As the lamps eventually dim over time (which I can now monitor with my light meter), I always have the option to switch to high lamp mode. And when that no longer satisfies, I have an extra lamp waiting in the wings for each projector.

Since I seldom watch more than 2 -3 hours a day, plus the fact that I also use an Epson 5020, and my old Panny 7000, I'll probably not even reach the point where I need a lamp change. But it's good to have the insurance, plus if I ever resell them, the extra lamp is a good incentive for the potential buyer.

So until 4k becomes affordable, and content is plentiful, I'll be more than happy with what I have now.
post #1511 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the Sharp 30k is plenty bright enough for 2D on my 1.25 gain screen in eco mode in my completely darkened home theater.

It automatically shifts into a higher brightness mode for 3D (at least I think it does, as the fan gets a bit louder) which is also plenty bright for me. I have not tried stacking yet.

As the lamps eventually dim over time (which I can now monitor with my light meter), I always have the option to switch to high lamp mode. And when that no longer satisfies, I have an extra lamp waiting in the wings for each projector.

Since I seldom watch more than 2 -3 hours a day, plus the fact that I also use an Epson 5020, and my old Panny 7000, I'll probably not even reach the point where I need a lamp change. But it's good to have the insurance, plus if I ever resell them, the extra lamp is a good incentive for the potential buyer.

So until 4k becomes affordable, and content is plentiful, I'll be more than happy with what I have now.

How did you end up with two Z30Ks? Did you get them both through the Woot deal? If so, then you may be able to turn a good profit on them.
I have not seen the Epson. It has great reviews. Art at PR loves them. I think I saw the Panny years ago. It was on my short list, as we needed powered lens controls.
I'm a DLP guy . I like the sharpness and "pop" for sports and video.
With so many choices, do you switch projectors all the time, or do you have a favorite?
Zombie was using the Sharp for "day to day" 2D watching, but shifted to his JVC for dark films and scifi. He probably uses the Sony 4K now ( I have projector envy). wink.gif
Do you use the Epson for all but 3D, then go with the Sharp?
BTW, try Stage mode for your 3D.
I keep looking for a used Sony W95ES. If a good one came up, I might try and figure out a multiple PJ set up like you guys.
I figure that it will be years before TI steps up to a 4K DLP, so I'm settling in for the long haul... smile.gif
post #1512 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree. My Z30K is plenty bright on eco mode (Iris high brightness) on my 130" 2:35 DW shooting from 16 ft away. I am using it with a Darbee at 40% and picture is very sharp.
post #1513 of 1661 Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:

How did you end up with two Z30Ks? Did you get them both through the Woot deal? If so, then you may be able to turn a good profit on them.
Found them on Amazon back in November. They are factory refurbs (looked like new though). A third party seller had them for $1,999 (with a 4 year extended warranty!) Oh... And they're NOT for sale.
I have not seen the Epson. It has great reviews. Art at PR loves them. I think I saw the Panny years ago. It was on my short list, as we needed powered lens controls.
I'm a DLP guy . I like the sharpness and "pop" for sports and video.
With so many choices, do you switch projectors all the time, or do you have a favorite?
If I'm just watching cable TV, the Panny 7000 will do. The Epson 5020 is for 2D films that have lots of dark scenes. Right now, the Sharp 30k is very dear to my heart. If I could only keep one, it would be the Sharp.
Zombie was using the Sharp for "day to day" 2D watching, but shifted to his JVC for dark films and scifi. He probably uses the Sony 4K now ( I have projector envy). wink.gif
Do you use the Epson for all but 3D, then go with the Sharp?
BTW, try Stage mode for your 3D.
That's what I'm using: "Stage" with iris 1 on "high brightness", and iris 2 on "auto".
I keep looking for a used Sony W95ES. If a good one came up, I might try and figure out a multiple PJ set up like you guys.
I figure that it will be years before TI steps up to a 4K DLP, so I'm settling in for the long haul... smile.gif
post #1514 of 1661 Old 01-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Took the OEM lamp reading last night. Same settings. Practically no difference: 18.1 fc.
post #1515 of 1661 Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Took the OEM lamp reading last night. Same settings. Practically no difference: 18.1 fc.

How much time is on each of the lamps?
post #1516 of 1661 Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:

How much time is on each of the lamps?

The OEM lamp has 100 hours.

The Chinese replacement lamp has 50 hours.

It will be interesting to see how they each hold up (brightness wise) over time.
post #1517 of 1661 Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The OEM lamp has 100 hours.

The Chinese replacement lamp has 50 hours.

It will be interesting to see how they each hold up (brightness wise) over time.

I asked this a while back, but got few responses. Have some of the early adopters got 1000 hrs on the Z30K lamp yet?
If so, has anyone experienced a perceptible brightness drop?
post #1518 of 1661 Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I asked this a while back, but got few responses. Have some of the early adopters got 1000 hrs on the Z30K lamp yet?

By the time I have accumulated 1,000 hours on each lamp, 4k or large screen OLED will probably be affordable. But rest assured, I'll keep updating this thread with my results. Hopefully, there won't be any dramatic changes.
post #1519 of 1661 Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
Quote:

I do. Just moved down to FL and got my stuff delivered. Haven't put up the screen yet but I have the Sharp throwing up over 140" 16:9 on a beige wall and it's still fantastic and bright!

Not sure how many hours exactly or the throw distance. Have to check that when I get home tonight. Think it said 37% life left on the lamp though.
post #1520 of 1661 Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I do. Just moved down to FL and got my stuff delivered. Haven't put up the screen yet but I have the Sharp throwing up over 140" 16:9 on a beige wall and it's still fantastic and bright!

Not sure how many hours exactly or the throw distance. Have to check that when I get home tonight. Think it said 37% life left on the lamp though.

140" 16x9 is a nice size. I have screen envy wink.gif

We have a 110" 16x9 and I wanted to add a second 2.39 scope screen about 130", but budget and remodel logistics have slowed me down...
Glad to get some feedback on the brightness.
Why don't you check back in when you have the hours on the bulb?
post #1521 of 1661 Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

140" 16x9 is a nice size. I have screen envy wink.gif

We have a 110" 16x9 and I wanted to add a second 2.39 scope screen about 130", but budget and remodel logistics have slowed me down...
Glad to get some feedback on the brightness.
Why don't you check back in when you have the hours on the bulb?

About 1,450. But should break 1,500 by the end of this weekend w/ a binge viewing of "Entourage".

Got the whole series on Blu-Ray a while back on one of those amazon gold box deals and am finally getting around to watching it.

My screen isn't that large. I'm just zooming out to fill as much of the wall as I have space until I can get the screen mounted.

I can only dream when one day I'll have a screen as big or bigger than that.

Mine is a Da-Lite HCHP 10ft wide scope. So only about about 100" 16:9.

But it's making me really consider getting another or replacing it!

I love CIH, but damn! Now I understand why Jason loves his 142" IMAX!
post #1522 of 1661 Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

About 1,450. But should break 1,500 by the end of this weekend w/ a binge viewing of "Entourage".

Got the whole series on Blu-Ray a while back on one of those amazon gold box deals and am finally getting around to watching it.

My screen isn't that large. I'm just zooming out to fill as much of the wall as I have space until I can get the screen mounted.

I can only dream when one day I'll have a screen as big or bigger than that.

Mine is a Da-Lite HCHP 10ft wide scope. So only about about 100" 16:9.

But it's making me really consider getting another or replacing it!

I love CIH, but damn! Now I understand why Jason loves his 142" IMAX!

I hear you on the screen AR dilemma. mad.gif That's why I want to add a second (2.39:1) screen.
However, there is a recession on...

Do you run your lamp in high brightness mode most of the time?
You must be approaching 2K hours. Any change in perceived brightness as of yet?
post #1523 of 1661 Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I picked up a 2nd pair of the G30 glasses we were discussing a little while ago. These are great 3D glasses and work well with kids from 6-12 and adults with smaller faces. Between the G30 and G20 glasses, this should cover all visitors.

The G10's all go in the storage bin (I have something like 4-6 pairs of these that someone sent me)

sharp-glasses.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1524 of 1661 Old 02-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I picked up a 2nd pair of the G30 glasses we were discussing a little while ago. These are great 3D glasses and work well with kids from 6-12 and adults with smaller faces. Between the G30 and G20 glasses, this should cover all visitors.

The G10's all go in the storage bin (I have something like 4-6 pairs of these that someone sent me)

sharp-glasses.jpg

Zombie, Dis you see any technical improvements with the G30 (over the G20)?
Also, where did you get the extra G30s?

BTW, nice to see you "slumming" in the Sharp thread. smile.gif
I thought you had moved on to the high end Sonys. ..Are you still using the Z30K for 3D and "everyday" 2D TV video?
post #1525 of 1661 Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Zombie, Dis you see any technical improvements with the G30 (over the G20)?
Also, where did you get the extra G30s?

BTW, nice to see you "slumming" in the Sharp thread. smile.gif
I thought you had moved on to the high end Sonys. ..Are you still using the Z30K for 3D and "everyday" 2D TV video?

They have the same performance overall. the tint is slightly different, but that's about it. Very good construction with a solid OFF/2D/3D switch at the top. I picked them up from Amazon. I think these Sharp glasses are some of the most comfortable, well performing 3D glasses I've had (which is quite a few).

Yes I still use the 30K all the time for 2D HDTV and 3D as well. I have been exploring the Sony VW1000 3D lately, the contrast in 3D is excellent so it performs better than the 30K with non-animations / dark scenes, etc.

post #1526 of 1661 Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hear you on the screen AR dilemma. mad.gif That's why I want to add a second (2.39:1) screen.
However, there is a recession on...

Do you run your lamp in high brightness mode most of the time?
You must be approaching 2K hours. Any change in perceived brightness as of yet?

Yea I pretty much run in high brightness unless I know I'm going to be watching a very dark movie; like the Alien Quadrilogy I just finished. Then I switch to Movie mode 1.

I think I'm only around 1,600 or so hours. I don't have as much time anymore with work and school. May swap bulbs in a month or two.

It's been so gradual and I've changed location/screens so much since I've had it that I can't tell.

But projecting over 140" onto a beige wall, it still looks bright to me.

Might have some issues for 3D, though. Haven't tried that yet.
post #1527 of 1661 Old 03-18-2014, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I received my Sharp XV-Z30000 tonight. I realize I'm quite late to the game when it comes to reviewing this projector, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions after spending the night with it. I was planning on posting my thoughts in the morning but I decided to do it now while everything is still fresh in my head.

The first thing I noticed before looking at the projector was the excellent packaging. A rather large box with a great layout and plenty of foam to protect the unit. A large carton is used in a separate section above the projector for all the included accessories. Each accessory has its own compartment in the carton to make sure nothing moves around during shipment. They're also individually wrapped which I thought was a nice touch. While the latter is common the former was nice to see. Most companies throw all the accessories in a single box and which means they're allowed to move freely in shipment. You can tell Sharp spent a good deal of time making sure the unit wasn't going to get damaged in shipment. Kudos to them.

Taking the projector out of the box and stryofoam sleeve revealed an aesthetically pleasing projector. The one thing about the look of the projector that none of the reviews or pictures I've seen show off was the cool circular accent piece on the top of the unit. Even though it's obviously plastic, it looks like frosted glass and the "SharpVision" logo has a 3D quality to it due in part to the way it was painted on top of the accent piece. It's all matte black, which I like, and will fit into any home theater environment quite nicely. The unit has a decent solidness to it that you don't normally find with DLP projectors around it's price range. Build quality over all is excellent. The remote is nicely laid out and looks a bit familiar to the one that came with the Sharp XV-Z20000 (for those who've also used that unit). The one complaint I have is that it isn't back lit. This was a bit surprising considering it's MSRP and the fact that DLP projectors that I've had costing thousands less came with back lit remotes. The buttons do glow in the dark, but are no where near bright enough to make out what each button does. Luckily all the more commonly used buttons are easy enough to remember where they are after a few uses. No big deal, it was just a bit surprising to see that missing.

Setting up the projector was very easy. All the controls are motorized which is something you just don't see on most DLP projectors that have an MSRP under $20000. Other than the Sim2 D80 , this is the only other DLP unit I've owned that has fully motorized lens control. I've owned 24 DLP projectors. a large portion of them costing a lot more than the Sharp, and this is only the second one that's had fully motorized optics. What gives DLP? Is it really that expensive to fully motorize the lens? Kudos again to Sharp. Another thing to point out here is that there's no lens offset to the projector. Many manufacturers that utilize the .65" DLP DMD use a forced lens offset. What this does is increase native contrast. It's a trick that they can use instead of designing a costlier, more efficient, light engine and optics. this ties in nicely to what I said earlier about the build quality of this unit. It achieves the same, and in some instances more, native contrast without using that optical trick. using an offset is a pain in the neck to have as it restricts placement flexibility and typically the amount of vertical and horizontal lens shift. Speaking of lens shift, It has plenty of vertical and horizontal for unheard of placement flexibility for a DLP projector. The projector's lack of optical offset is ideal for someone like me, and many others, with a HP screen, which necessitates the lens be as close to center screen as possible to get the maximum amount of gain from it.

The unit is very quite for a DLP projector. This is another area where it pulls far ahead of it's DLP competition. In eco+quite mode it's subjectively as quite as my JVC DLA-X90 in low lamp mode and actually a tad quieter when both are in high lamp mode. This is extremely impressive considering how compact the chassis is and how much light this unit is able to put out. The only quieter DLP projector that I've owned was the LED driven NuVision ProVu P2. That unit has a massive chassis and a lot of noise dampening material inside to achieve it's low audible noise.

Once set up and running I put the unit through an auto-calibration with the use of my Spyder4Elite colorimeter and accompanying Windows program that runs the unit. This is not what most consider a reference meter, but because it's known this unit cannot achieve reference color, (there's no way to tame the over-saturated green primary) I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm also not a color Nazi so it doesn't bother me if this meter doesn't get it to "reference" status. Either way the software informed me the greyscale had an average delta error of 3.16, which are errors almost imperceptible to the eye, and the gamut chart showed that (who guessed it) the green primary was over-saturated. I also had the software do a 2.2 gamma curve. After the calibration the subjective color looked great. No complaints. This calibration limits me to HTPC use only, but because I only use my HTPC to view content it fits my needs perfectly.

One thing I noticed out of the box is that, by default, "Detail Enhancement" is at 0. Normally this means off, but in the case of the XV-Z30000 it means "middle" as shown by the slider for that setting. Lowering it to -30 got rid of an annoying noise issue that I wasn't sure was defeatable. It also got rid of an annoying over-sharpened look that all content had. Most images looked "cooked" and very digital. This look was similar to what high amounts of Reality Creation on current Sony projectors looked like. Turning this and other sharpening/detail enhancing features off made the image look far more natural and appropriately sharp. My unit seems to have a great lens sample. I read some reports of bad focus uniformity. I used a little vertical lens shift for this initial viewing and even still pixels from edge to edge were evenly delineated and distinct. There is a very small amount of CA that is only noticeable with my nose to the screen. Native optical sharpness is excellent for a .65" DMD DLP projector. It's as sharp looking as the Mitsubishi HC7900DW I had a few weeks ago.

Motion looks excellent for this price range. Subjectively I think the JVC DLA-X90 handled pans a bit better, but only by a small amount. Quick movement with 24p material revealed a little more detail compared to what the X90 could muster. DLP still has a visible advantage with motion resolution, but the LCoS chips from JVC and Sony are catching up when it comes to rendered 24p content with adequate motion resolution.

I never once saw any RBE (rainbow effect) from this unit. Now, there is a somewhat hidden feature in the menus that allows you to control the speed of the color wheel somewhat. The setting is called "CBNR" and is only available for use with a 1080p24 2D image. The menu describes the feature as a "...function [that] reduces the color break noise." When you enable it, the screen goes black for a bit, and if you press your ear up to the projector, you can hear the color wheel change pitch. I didn't notice RBE before enabling the feature, but to those uber sensitive, it couldn't hurt enabling it for your 2D content. I'm not sure what Sharp is doing with it's color wheel but I've never seen a DLP projector this bright not have some sign of RBE. I'm not particularly picky with RBE. I see it occasionally on most DLP projectors, but it never really bothers me.

Contrast performance was the biggest thing that interested me with this unit. For a .65" DMD projector contrast performance is amazing. It's by far the best I've seen that has what I like to call a 100% of the time usable dynamic iris. Other .65" DMD projectors offer contrast performance similar but the DI is almost always terrible and annoyingly distracting to the point where I want to turn it off. Other than the Planar PD8150, this unit has the best dynamic iris performance I've seen on a unit that I've owned. I say on a unit that I've owned because I did watch various content on a Sony VPL-HW50ES last year and from what I saw over that 5 hour period I never once saw or noticed the DI in action or saw any artifacts such as brightness compression or clipped whites. Compared to the PD8150, the Sharp's implementation is about 95% of what the PD8150's looks like. There are a few scenes I use to specifically test a DI's performance and the Sharp slipped up a little bit more on these torture scenes than the PD8150 did. Other than those torture scenes I only saw it slip up once or twice. And what I mean is that, in these scenes, there was a quick mixture of extremely dark and extremely bright images and the software just wasn't sure which way the next bunch of frames were leaning towards in terms of APL and accidentally chose the wrong way to move the iris and as a result you see the brightness change in an obvious way. As noted, this was an extremely rare occurrence and most people probably wouldn't really notice it. I just happen to be particularly picky when it comes to DI performance especially when it comes to DLP projectors. Lately, with native contrast performance almost light years away with the other technologies, a DLP home theater projector NEEDS a well implemented iris that can be left on all the time to give a subjectively competitive image in regards to overall PQ and obviously needed to be competitive when it comes to subjective contrast performance. Unfortunately these implementations are few and far between. Lately what I've seen from other projectors claiming good Di performance are implementations that barely move the iris at all. This limits pumping issues because the iris simply doesn't have a large range of motion. But that doesn't mean the iris is implemented well. Obviously the black level suffers from the lack of range, but usually these projector companies also forget to code the iris software properly on when the DI should kick in. That is, say you're watching a movie scene that has a dialog between two or more characters. As the shots move to and from each character sometimes the amount of contrast in each shot is different. If the DI doesn't move in a quick frame accurate manner the shift in brightness is obvious and distracting as you go from one character to the other. A wide range of motion, frame accurate quick movement and quick dynamic gamma to match the DI movement is what's needed for a well implemented DI. This is the first DLP projector I've owned, other than the PD8150, that has had a DI that I would say meets my qualifications for great DI performance. The Mitsubishi HC7900DW had the issues mentioned before. It's most stable looking DI mode offered a very limited amount of range and kicked it far too late. It's performance was still, unfortunately, better than most of the other projectors I've owned in the past. I should note that the manual iris needs to be in the "high contrast" setting to give subjectively competitive contrast performance to other projector technologies like 3LCD. I also found that taking the unit out of "eco-quiet" mode gave the image more depth and subjective contrast. Using the manual iris in high contrast mode could potentially limit one's screen size options, but with the use of HP screen material, the lumen output should suffice for all but the biggest screen sizes when in this manual iris mode. I didn't pull out my lux meter to brightness match against the X90. I did it as best I could by eye. In an A/B side by side against the JVC DLA-X90 , the Sharp looked better in mid to high APL scenes regarding contrast and image depth. Once you go lower in APL the Sharp is simply no match for the X90. Compared to the PD8150, there was noticeably more clipping on extremely dark content. During one scene that took place in the Room of Requirement, in the last Harry Potter film all of Draco Malfoy's hair is completely clipped. This looked so obvious and unnatural that it gave me pause to look at other scenes in the film. I spent another 20 minutes looking at other very dark scenes and luckily didn't notice anything that distinct in terms of DI artifacts. The PD8150 handled that scene much better from memory. This makes sense considering the PD8150 has roughly 50% more native contrast so the DI and dynamic gamma work a little less hard. From memory the PD8150 had more dark scene prowess, but considering what the Sharp has to work with in the hardware department I'm extremely impressed with the results. Kudos again to Sharp.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, but I thought I owed it to this projector. It's a breath of fresh air when it comes to cheaper .65" DMD DLP projectors. It's overall performance is big step up from every other .65" DMD DLP projector that I've owned, due in part to it's fantastic DI that offers amazing contrast performance (for DLP). Combine that with fully motorized optics, lens memory, tons of features within the menu I didn't even cover and it makes this projector that much better compared to it's cheaper DLP brethren. It's quite unfortunate that Sharp was unable to sell this projector the way they hoped for. Until the Woot deal last year this was a relatively unknown projector in terms of performance. The MSRP of $4999 scared off many initial buyers who had no access to user reviews to give them comfort in a potential purchase of the unit. For the woot deal price, other than possibly the Mitsubishi HC5, this was the best new-in-box, warranty included, projector deal in recent memory. I only wish I had jumped on the Woot deal when it happened. I could have been using this projector ever since. If you're a DLP fan and find this projector for under $3000, I'd say don't hesitate to buy it. Even if you aren't sure you like DLP it's a great projector to consider especially if you plan on watching a lot of 3D. Overall the performance at it's price point is staggering and I haven't even checked out arguably the most provocative feature the Sharp has; 3D. biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #1528 of 1661 Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Nice review Dylan,
Welcome to the party. With your vast experience, you (and Zombie) give a welcome perspective to the reviews.
BTW, where were you able to locate a new Z30K? Also, what did you give for it?
I'm a big DLP fan. The native sharpness and motion handling is superb for HD sports. We were coming from a high end Benq. It's incredible to see the improvements in PQ at a fraction of the price. The PQ for the Woot price is a staggering bang for the buck value. smile.gif
It's sad that Sharp gave up on the FP market. I think that you touched on the main issue in your commentary. The build quality and various hardware/software tweaks to get a competitive DLP based machine just cost too much to implement and mass produce. Sharp could make a great projector, they just could not compete with the lower cost of the other technologies (LCD/LCOS).
My $.02. Try the Darbee with the Z30K. By turning down the Z30K sharpness controls and dialing up the Darbee, the 2D picture achieves an almost 3D like quality. Speaking of 3D, we watched Titanic in 3D the other night. The Z30K shined on this film. It's the best 2D to 3D conversion I have seen.
I'm glad that people are still checking out this superb projector (and keeping this thread alive).
post #1529 of 1661 Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Seegs, that was a nice perspective on XV-Z30000. And now it is clear to me that we view things differently. And in this regard I'm feeling a bit nervous about the Planar PD8150 that I should receive in a couple of weeks. I will decide which PJ I will be selling: Mitsubishi HC5 or the Planar. Before I read your review of the Sharp I was sure it was going to be the Mits.

I re-read my old posts about Sharp and found that my opinion on this projector hasn't changed. I saw that same projector on a 150" HP screen recently (I helped the person to whom I sold my projector to build his HT around it) and confirmed my feelings about it. For 1800$ this PJ is an outstanding value with features found only on much, much pricier products. But for me PQ is paramount. It seems that you're more tolerable to color and image defects than I. I couldn't stand occasional white clipping which were occurring in many scenes (Check For a Few Dollars More - in the beginning, after Clint Eastwood catches his first bounty and get his reward from a sheriff. Check out sheriff's cheek - too much white clipping for a not-so-dark scene). To me it was very intrusive to the point of wanting to turn DI off. I hope Planar is better. And colors - reds are just too dull. And the worst part of it - you can't correct this as this is probably a limitation of the color wheel. Making a 3DLUT for 2D viewing is a must for this projector. On the other hand, Avatar in 3D on a 150" screen was probably the best 3D that I've seen. If I could keep a 3rd projector just for 3D movies Sharp would be it.
post #1530 of 1661 Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Seegs, that was a nice perspective on XV-Z30000. And now it is clear to me that we view things differently. And in this regard I'm feeling a bit nervous about the Planar PD8150 that I should receive in a couple of weeks. I will decide which PJ I will be selling: Mitsubishi HC5 or the Planar. Before I read your review of the Sharp I was sure it was going to be the Mits.

I re-read my old posts about Sharp and found that my opinion on this projector hasn't changed. I saw that same projector on a 150" HP screen recently (I helped the person to whom I sold my projector to build his HT around it) and confirmed my feelings about it. For 1800$ this PJ is an outstanding value with features found only on much, much pricier products. But for me PQ is paramount. It seems that you're more tolerable to color and image defects than I. I couldn't stand occasional white clipping which were occurring in many scenes (Check For a Few Dollars More - in the beginning, after Clint Eastwood catches his first bounty and get his reward from a sheriff. Check out sheriff's cheek - too much white clipping for a not-so-dark scene). To me it was very intrusive to the point of wanting to turn DI off. I hope Planar is better. And colors - reds are just too dull. And the worst part of it - you can't correct this as this is probably a limitation of the color wheel. Making a 3DLUT for 2D viewing is a must for this projector. On the other hand, Avatar in 3D on a 150" screen was probably the best 3D that I've seen. If I could keep a 3rd projector just for 3D movies Sharp would be it.

Elix, I don't think you will be disappointed in the planar. Mine has a broken DI and even so it has a far better 2D image than the 30K I had with near perfect color, gray scale and gamma out of the box before calibration . I think the problem is there are some really BAD units out there along with some good ones. I think we both got poor version of the 30K. Color accuracy in itself was a deal breaker for me. Then again.. could have just been a bad copy but Seegs did not mention that aspect yet.. so his must be better than mine as my wife didn't need tools to see how bad it was.. .. there is a reason they were sold for $1600 on Woot..

Doug

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page