post #1561 of 1661 Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I received my Sharp XV-Z30000 tonight. I realize I'm quite late to the game when it comes to reviewing this projector, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions after spending the night with it. I was planning on posting my thoughts in the morning but I decided to do it now while everything is still fresh in my head.

less than 2 weeks.... I better increase my prediction skills... biggrin.gif

2 on ebay at the same time!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-XV-Z30000-1080p-3D-DLP-Projector-plus-3D-Blu-ray-Player-/281292299684?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item417e53dda4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1661 Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Didn't you always want a second one for a 3D stack? smile.gif

Unlike you I try hard to not have so many projectors laying around at once. tongue.gif I put the Z30K up against the Sony VPL-VW90ES and I preferred the Sharp. The Sharp had a better black level than the Sony. Yes, I was very surprised. It seems that the Sony doesn't clip whites or have noticeable brightness compression because it doesn't push it's DI hard enough to do so. I went through Auto 1 and Auto 2 and with each I changed the DI from "Recommend" to "Fast' and "Slow" and none of these modes could match the black level (with low lamp mode enabled) that the Sharp could achieve. The Sharp had it's manual iris closed and DI engaged. Now, the Sony is MUCH brighter than the Sharp once you close down that iris. So for smaller screens the Sharp is a better choice and the Sony is better for larger screens. The DI action on the Sony with "Fast" enabled with it's DI was about on par with the Sharp. Very low APL scenes looked less contrasty on the Sony. The Z30K had more subjective contrast but at the cost of some brightness compression and clipped whites. It's at a level I could live with as these types of scenes are few and far between with most content. The Z30K looked far more sharp than the Sony (and so did my JVC). I was expecting a LOT more from the Sony. I was extremely dissapointed with the Sony. Between the two I would easily choose the Sharp over the Sony to own as long as I had a screen size that could work with the Sharp to get this kind of contrast performance, ie manual iris in "high contrast" mode.

Crappy cell phone pic:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #1563 of 1661 Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Didn't you always want a second one for a 3D stack? smile.gif

Unlike you I try hard to not have so many projectors laying around at once. tongue.gif I put the Z30K up against the Sony VPL-VW90ES and I preferred the Sharp. The Sharp had a better black level than the Sony. Yes, I was very surprised. It seems that the Sony doesn't clip whites or have noticeable brightness compression because it doesn't push it's DI hard enough to do so. I went through Auto 1 and Auto 2 and with each I changed the DI from "Recommend" to "Fast' and "Slow" and none of these modes could match the black level (with low lamp mode enabled) that the Sharp could achieve. The Sharp had it's manual iris closed and DI engaged. Now, the Sony is MUCH brighter than the Sharp once you close down that iris. So for smaller screens the Sharp is a better choice and the Sony is better for larger screens. The DI action on the Sony with "Fast" enabled with it's DI was about on par with the Sharp. Very low APL scenes looked less contrasty on the Sony. The Z30K had more subjective contrast but at the cost of some brightness compression and clipped whites. It's at a level I could live with as these types of scenes are few and far between with most content. The Z30K looked far more sharp than the Sony (and so did my JVC). I was expecting a LOT more from the Sony. I was extremely dissapointed with the Sony. Between the two I would easily choose the Sharp over the Sony to own as long as I had a screen size that could work with the Sharp to get this kind of contrast performance, ie manual iris in "high contrast" mode.

Crappy cell phone pic:

Interesting review. We have the Z30K on a 2.8 HP 110" screen and if anything it's a bit too bright for many movies. It shines (PJ humor) on HD sports and 3D. smile.gif
I think that Zombie has a HP as well. It seems that with you selling yours and the ebay influx there are now several for sale at <$3K. For antbody thinking about it, the Z30K is a great pairing with a HP.
post #1564 of 1661 Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I only see one other for sale and it's basically the same price. I have it priced higher on ebay because of their fees. I can guarantee my unit doesn't have any uniformity issues with brightness or focus like some others have reported in this thread. Overall it's an excellent sample and it's in like-new condition with everything that comes standard in the box. If I didn't have the JVC right now, I'd be proud to own the Sharp.

post #1565 of 1661 Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Interesting review. We have the Z30K on a 2.8 HP 110" screen and if anything it's a bit too bright for many movies. It shines (PJ humor) on HD sports and 3D. smile.gif
I think that Zombie has a HP as well. It seems that with you selling yours and the ebay influx there are now several for sale at <$3K. For antbody thinking about it, the Z30K is a great pairing with a HP.

Brilliant combo for 3D. I have a 106" 2.4HP with the Sharp and it's 3D bliss....only use the Sharp for 3D.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #1566 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I didn't have the JVC right now, I'd be proud to own the Sharp.

Seegs, from your tag line, it seems that you are a DLP guy... You have gone over to the dark side (PJ humor) smile.gif
Can you articulate why you chose the JVC over the Sharp? DLP has the native sharpness advantage and both have fully powered lens controls. Is it primarily the JVC black floor?
post #1567 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seegs, from your tag line, it seems that you are a DLP guy... You have gone over to the dark side (PJ humor) smile.gif
Can you articulate why you chose the JVC over the Sharp? DLP has the native sharpness advantage and both have fully powered lens controls. Is it primarily the JVC black floor?

Yeah, I love what DLP can do to an image. That will always be true. For me I'm keeping the JVC simply because of it's huge advantage with contrast. But also because my specific unit has a picture even sharper than what the Sharp can give especially with e-shift enabled. The hand-picked optics really help. Not every JVC I've owned has looked this sharp. Unlike many of the more expensive .95" DLP units, this Sharp doesn't have an even sharper picture over the JVC. This is simply a limitation of how much money Sharp could afford to put into the lens. I'm sure the fully motorized lens features forced them to use a lens that cost just a little less than one without those features. The image is still just as sharp as I've seen on all .65" DLP projectors, including the Mitsubishi HC7900DW. It doesn't have the budget for optics like the Marantz VP-15S1 did. Also, my X90 has adequate motion performance with 24p material. So while it doesn't have the absolute best performance in sharpness and motion it makes up for that slight disadvantage with a HUGE advantage in contrast and black level. I'm also slowly starting to extremely hate all dynamic irises, even ones that perform well. I want native contrast performance from now on. Even with the excellent DI performance seen on this Sharp, many Sony projectors, and my old PD8150 there were always small drawbacks when using them. It's just a more comfortable viewing experience to have a completely stable image. To me, that's what you get when you go to a commercial cinema. So I think that stableness is important to recreate that cinema experience in your own home. This is one of the reasons I think I'm going to pass up on selling the X90 for something like the X500. It's also why I'm going to pass on the new Sony 4K units. From what I saw on the 600ES it seems they're pushing the DI pretty hard to get impressive contrast numbers and it's a little bit too noticeable for my taste so I'm going to play it safe and keep this X90 until JVC releases a 4K unit. I just want an honest to goodness video experience that let's me press play and not be distracted by anything. The JVC gives me that. There are only one or two other projectors that I've owned that I can say that about.

post #1568 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I too am a DLP fan. When we came from a high end Benq, I was initially disappointed with the native sharpness and contrast of the Sharp. However, the addition of the Darbee was a dramatic improvement in the image quality. My $.02.
If you watch a lot of dark films, JVC would seem to be a no brainer. For us it's a wide range of images, with HD spoprts being in the forefront. The Sharp is a "jack of all trades", master of none... smile.gif
post #1569 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I too am a DLP fan. When we came from a high end Benq, I was initially disappointed with the native sharpness and contrast of the Sharp. However, the addition of the Darbee was a dramatic improvement in the image quality. My $.02.
If you watch a lot of dark films, JVC would seem to be a no brainer. For us it's a wide range of images, with HD spoprts being in the forefront. The Sharp is a "jack of all trades", master of none... smile.gif

It's definitely a "jack of all trades". If anyone with this Sharp wants that perfectly stable image I was talking about they can simply put the manual iris in "high contrast" mode and disable the DI. It will still give awesome subjective contrast compared to most other DLP projectors. Enabling the DI helps bring it to another level, but as mentioned there are a few drawbacks with any DI. Luckily the one on the Sharp is better with those drawbacks compared to most.

post #1570 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

go check out the 4910, the X90 will be for sale soon too... biggrin.gif

I think they did a great job on the DI and the black floor in low APL scenes is more convincing than the best JVC could offer over the last 2 years. I've had 65's, and 66's here and would still take the 4910 today. 3D is noticeably better too. better x-talk performance and finally FI in 3D.

The 4910 would be my single, under 10K projector this year. The DI action is less noticeable than the 600. The 1000/1100 iris seems be dialed down vs. the 600, maybe they don't need to be as aggressive with the higher native.

the 4910 3D would likely satisfy most but for those obsessed w/ flicker / xtalk, the 4910 / 30K combo would hold those critical 2D/3D viewers over for quite a while.

post #1571 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I think they did a great job on the DI and the black floor in low APL scenes is more convincing than the best JVC could offer over the last 2 years. I've had 65's, and 66's here and would still take the 4910 today. 3D is noticeably better too. better x-talk performance and finally FI in 3D.

The 4910 would be my single, under 10K projector this year. The DI action is less noticeable than the 600. The 1000/1100 iris seems be dialed down vs. the 600, maybe they don't need to be as aggressive with the higher native.

the 4910 3D would likely satisfy most but for those obsessed w/ flicker / xtalk, the 4910 / 30K combo would hold those critical 2D/3D viewers over for quite a while.

Great to hear. Hope to be upgrading my 45 to a 4910 at some point this year. Sounds like the 4910 will be a nice upgrade considering I am a pretty big sci-fi fan where the improved black level will really show. Combined with my 7000 for 3d, this should keep me happy for a few more years. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1572 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Combined with my 7000 for 3d, this should keep me happy for a few more years. cool.gif

A few more years? I highly doubt it. I noticed that even you question your own statement. biggrin.gif
Toe likes this.
post #1573 of 1661 Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

A few more years? I highly doubt it. I noticed that even you question your own statement. biggrin.gif

Hey man, I am trying to be optimistic here! biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1574 of 1661 Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Zombie,
I've been busy with work, family and life. So, I have not had time to follow AVS as much as I would like.
However, I see your PJ comparison thred has turned into a Sony/JVC battle...So much new stuff that I could not read it all.
You just praised the 4910. Have you shifted to that for day to day viewing, or do you still watch the Z30K for "regular" 2D?
post #1575 of 1661 Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zombie,
I've been busy with work, family and life. So, I have not had time to follow AVS as much as I would like.
However, I see your PJ comparison thred has turned into a Sony/JVC battle...So much new stuff that I could not read it all.
You just praised the 4910. Have you shifted to that for day to day viewing, or do you still watch the Z30K for "regular" 2D?

yes, i'm surprised how long it's gone on for. I've had the 600, 1100, 4910 and the 57 all together at the same time. each projector has it's unique strengths. The Sony's can light up a screen larger than the JVC's, the JVC's have the killer native contrast. When running 4K on the Sony, it clearly has the advantage since there is only so much e-shift can do with 4K content.

I'm not sure how much more there is to say... different projectors for different setups. I wish I had room for a larger screen than my 142" 2.8, I would go 160" in a heartbeat and run the 1100 on high lamp. for me, the screen size has as much to do with the presentation of the film as the projector. I want it as big as possible, after all, we are calling this home theater.. biggrin.gif

to answer your question, I don't have the 4910, I have the RS55 with low hours that I'll likely be parting with soon. I am still using the 30K for day to day viewing, it's just an easy, well behaved projector to use frequently. I like how fast it 'boots up' and with 5 lamps I just don't care if I leave it on all day.. You would think I was trying to wear it out.

however, thanks to Seegs who sold me a short throw lens for the Planar 8130, there is a good chance I will swap over to that unit for 2D day to day. It has excellent color and a very sharp image. It's not some day/night difference over the 30K, but if we look at them closely, I can appreciate how nice the .95 DLP projectors still are compared to today's current models.

The 30K has some of the best 3D i've seen and I would never get rid of it until I can at least find something comparable in this price range.

post #1576 of 1661 Old 04-05-2014, 12:00 AM
fpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have someone the IR Pronto codes of the Z30K remote control ?

Thanks
post #1577 of 1661 Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 AM
fpr

To extend the range of 3D signal, it is possible to use an IR extender (repeater)?
post #1578 of 1661 Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpr View Post

To extend the range of 3D signal, it is possible to use an IR extender (repeater)?

I don't know the answer, but I would suspect that you might have sync issues... It's easy to run an extension from the Z30K to the 3D emitter. Just get a 1/8 inch headphone cable in what ever length you need. Then plug the the male end of the cable into the Z30K and plug the enclosed 3D cable into the female end.
When we were initially locating the emitter, it really helped to have a second person (with a ladder). I sat in the viewing area and he moved the transmitter around and adjusted the angles until we got wide coverage. Then we fixed it in place and secured the cables...
Hope it helps.
fpr likes this.
post #1579 of 1661 Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 AM
fpr

I'm thinking of buying the ZF2100 optoma kit with IR sensor from Monster Vision .
If I remember correctly, someone (I think it was Zombie10K) tried the Monster Vision 3D Max with the Z30K. There was some kind of delay of sync due to conversion IR to RF? Is it necessary to configure something on the RF transmitter to work well?
post #1580 of 1661 Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Head's up:
The consensus on the forum seems to be that the Z30K with the Sharp G20 glasses is about as good a 3D combination as is available at the present time...
I think that it helps to have a high gain screen as well. Da Lite High Power is a favorite with this projector.
post #1581 of 1661 Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM
fpr

I have the Sharp G20 Glasses but I want to try the Optoma RF glasses.

I want to know the opinion of Zombie10K respect the Monster Vision and the Z30K. Especially if he has problems when using this kit with the Z30K.
post #1582 of 1661 Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 AM
fpr

I buy the G30 glasses and are better than the G20 respect sync issues. With the G30 I have IR signal along the room, while the G20 signal is out of sync on my second row seat.

For those who have sync issues I recommend try the G30.
post #1583 of 1661 Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I noticed a 30K for sale in the Classified..
http://www.avsforum.com/f/252/front-projector

Doug

post #1584 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

here you go, step by step instructions for swapping out the lamp

Jason,

Just used these procedures last night and they were perfect!

Anyone else had to swap out lamps yet or have high amounts of hours on theirs?

Reached 0% life on the bulb around 2100 hours but swapped it out at just shy of 2000.

So far so good on the imported lamp. Noticeable brightness increase and colors look accurate.

BTW, I see this thread has become quite slow.

Everyone still enjoying theirs Z30K's? Any issues with yours?
post #1585 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
If only this projector was good in either color performance or in terms of input lag. As it's neither in both it's only good at 3D movies for me. I'm a sucker for color-accurate picture. For some neither is important. In that case it's a great all-around projector with outstanding contrast for a DLP and bright 3D.
post #1586 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Jason,

Just used these procedures last night and they were perfect!

Anyone else had to swap out lamps yet or have high amounts of hours on theirs?

Reached 0% life on the bulb around 2100 hours but swapped it out at just shy of 2000.

So far so good on the imported lamp. Noticeable brightness increase and colors look accurate.

BTW, I see this thread has become quite slow.

Everyone still enjoying theirs Z30K's? Any issues with yours?

glad to see the instructions worked, I'm still using one of the replacement lamps and it's been working great.

I still use the 30K for much of my HDTV viewing and 3D. It boots up quick, ready to go with full brightness / HDMI sync in about 20-25 seconds.

regarding the color, there's no problem calibrating grayscale, the main issue with the color gamut is green has a shift towards yellow. So certain scenes can make trees / grass look a bit 'neon'. I can tame this a bit with my mini 3D.

it could be better but it's not like people look purple so it's going to be fine for most folks.

threads slow down for a few reasons

1. people are happy with their purchase and are enjoying watching movies vs. hanging out on the forums

2. no complaints. After a product is released for a while and the product is solid, it gets quiet unless problems arise

I'm good with 1 & 2. smile.gif the G20 glasses alone are worth owning this projector since the 3D performance is excellent and these glasses are some of the best out there.
rgrele likes this.

post #1587 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

the main issue with the color gamut is green has a shift towards yellow. So certain scenes can make trees / grass look a bit 'neon'. I can tame this a bit with my mini 3D.
And what about the luminance of reds? Seemed like a more severe problem than greens to me.
post #1588 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

If only this projector was good in either color performance or in terms of input lag. As it's neither in both it's only good at 3D movies for me. I'm a sucker for color-accurate picture. For some neither is important. In that case it's a great all-around projector with outstanding contrast for a DLP and bright 3D.

Count me in the latter group.
The color looks saturated and the picture is bright and Sharp (PJ humor). Input lag is a non-factor for us, but I can see how gamers might feel differently.
The Darbee is a superb compliment to the Z30K.
At the end of the day, every display has its pluses and minuses. The Z30K is an excellent "all around" front projector and an "off the charts" value at $2K. I'm a little surprised that there is one sitting in the clasified.
Perhaps someone will buy it and kick start this thread. ..

Jason,
Do you want another challenge? How about swapping out a .95 DLP chip into the Sharp?
Although without higher resolution source material, It's tough to see how the picture could be improved significantly, INMO.

It's an incredible vote of confidence that with all of your options, you still use the Z30K for day to day viewing. Frankly, I'm a little surprised, but it confirms my suspicion that JVC and Sony can provide a better 2D picture (at > twice the cost), but that it's an incremental improvement at best.
I've mentioned this before, but it may be that the particular combination of Z30K, HP screen and Darbee provide a non-linear synergistic improvement in PQ.
To me, the picture resembles a 110" Plasma. IMO, anyone considering the Sharp should go with HP and Darbee. Eye candy. biggrin.gif

As far as feedback goes. We are still enjoying ours. With the HP screen, I have not yet noticed a drop in brightness.
it's nice to hear that the lamp swap went well. We have one in reserve, while we wait for Sony to lower their 4K MSRP. smile.gif
post #1589 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

i'll have to go back and look at the red luminance on mine, it doesn't stand out in regular viewing like the green which catches my eye.

humbland - the 30K is surprisingly sharp for a .65 DLP, it must have a decent lens since I can get a great focus across my entire screen. I've directly compared the Planar vs. 30K, the Planar is sharper at the pixel level (nose against the screen), but it's not as easy to tell which projector is which with real content at viewing distance (14 feet from my 142").

Someone should grab that 30K in the for sale thread, that's a great price considering the 3D performance and flexible lens shift which is a scarcity in DLP's in this price range.

post #1590 of 1661 Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i'll have to go back and look at the red luminance on mine, it doesn't stand out in regular viewing like the green which catches my eye.

humbland - the 30K is surprisingly sharp for a .65 DLP, it must have a decent lens since I can get a great focus across my entire screen. I've directly compared the Planar vs. 30K, the Planar is sharper at the pixel level (nose against the screen), but it's not as easy to tell which projector is which with real content at viewing distance (14 feet from my 142").

Someone should grab that 30K in the for sale thread, that's a great price considering the 3D performance and flexible lens shift which is a scarcity in DLP's in this price range.

It makes sense that it would have a good lens. I tend to forget that it was Sharp's last hurrah with a MSRP of $5K.
Also, why bother with a poor lens if you are adding full powered lens controls?
like I said, with "real world" viewing, it's hard to see how the picture could get much "Sharper" wink.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page