Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad to see there is still some activity on this thread as my build is getting close and I'm considering a 2.35 setup using this projector but I'm having trouble figuring out the zoom function when it comes to throw distances. Just as an example, the Sharp manual states that I can throw a 150" 16:9 diagonal image from 15'6" to 31'2". Within this image I believe I'd have a 2.35 image with these dimensions 131" wide, 55" high, 141" diagonal.

My question is this, if I built a 2.35 screen with those same dimensions (141" diagonal), does the zoom function allow me to mount the Sharp closer than 15'6"? And if so how much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome aboard.

PC Calculator is your friend:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-XV-Z30000-projection-calculator-pro.htm

It says for 141" Diag. 2:39 the range is 15' 6" to 30' 11". So, I think you need to stay at 15' 6" as your minimum distance.

Do you have your Z30K yet? If so, then try it...
If not, then I would try and locate one. They are not that easy to find anymore...
Perhaps one of the people here will actually try it for you to see if there is "real world" variation. It's just not practical with our fixed ceiling mount set up.
post #1593 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
You're going to love this projector. Its my favorite .65" DMD projector by far.
post #1594 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
humbland
Thanks for the advice. I should have waited until the room was done before I bought the pj but I was afraid that due to the popularity of this pj and it's scarcity that by the time my room was done it would be impossible to find one.

I have a NIB 30k but have been reluctant to open it in the event it needed to be sold if it didn't work in my room.

I think I will be ok but it will be close. Was just hoping that the zoom might have bought me a little more room.

Seegs

I can hardly wait.
post #1595 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

You're going to love this projector. Its my favorite .65" DMD projector by far.

Seegs,
We're both DLP fans.
Zombie says that at viewing distance, he can not see a sharpness difference between the Z30K and the Planar.
You've had both, what's your take on it? The Sharp has great contrast and overall PQ for a .65 device. Are you surprised that it can hold it's own?
post #1596 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Seegs,
We're both DLP fans.
Zombie says that at viewing distance, he can not see a sharpness difference between the Z30K and the Planar.
You've had both, what's your take on it? The Sharp has great contrast and overall PQ for a .65 device. Are you surprised that it can hold it's own?

There's definitely a difference. The thing about the Planar is that it's got a cleaner, less artificial, look to the image. The Q750i is the same. Probably the most natural looking image I've seen. The Z30K looks like it has some extra noise in the image that's not there with the PD8150. Also, I think there's a little bit of non-defeatable sharpening going on. The lens is larger on the PD8150 and nicer which translates into sharper , more delineated, text and extra clarity. The PD8150 clips whites less when the DI is in use and overall it a a better implementation that doesn't get tripped up as much. The Z30k is no slouch and has a decent DI.
post #1597 of 1702 Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 357
humbland - I said the difference was not that obvious... smile.gif

there's no doubt the Planar is a better overall 2D projector. The color performance alone is near reference. The contrast is better as well.

seegs is right, the reason the 30K looks so sharp is that it has some non-defeatable sharpening going on. thankfully it's not too intense. The Planar sharpness is more natural and has better color performance in low APL scenes.

i agree though, the 30k is one of the better .65 DLP's and the 3D is great which is my main interest with it.
post #1598 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Jason/Seegs,
Do you guys have a Darbee in your chain?
Coming from a high end Benq, I was initially disappointed in the Z30K picture. The Darbee made the difference. Once you put it in the mix, all PJs have a "sharpened/artificial" look. So, if it's there, you are comparing apples to apples, and the Z30K shines. Would I prefer the 2D performance of the Planar over the Sharp without the Darbee? Probably, by a mile...With the Darbee, it's irrelevant to me. YRMV (and probably do).
My $.02.
post #1599 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the darbee on all the projectors, including the flagship VW1100. I keep it relatively low, usually HD setting @ 25-30. The planar needs it in the sense that the built in sharpening is subtle and there's 20 different controls on the advanced setting I prefer not to mess with it. it's easier to just keep the factory settings and use the darbee.

I'll probably keep the 30K longer than the Planer since it's multi-purpose for 2D and 3D. The Planar is an excellent 2D projector, but my JVC's and Sony are as well and have better contrast.
post #1600 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I use the darbee on all the projectors, including the flagship VW1100. I keep it relatively low, usually HD setting @ 25-30. The planar needs it in the sense that the built in sharpening is subtle and there's 20 different controls on the advanced setting I prefer not to mess with it. it's easier to just keep the factory settings and use the darbee.

I'll probably keep the 30K longer than the Planer since it's multi-purpose for 2D and 3D. The Planar is an excellent 2D projector, but my JVC's and Sony are as well and have better contrast.
have u tried optoma rf glasses with this projector if i change cable on rf emitter will it plug in to the 3d. Sync port and work i already have 6 pairs of these glasses and like them alot
post #1601 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

have u tried optoma rf glasses with this projector if i change cable on rf emitter will it plug in to the 3d. Sync port and work i already have 6 pairs of these glasses and like them alot

I've only used the MV3D/Optoma RF kit with the IR sensor on the 30K which works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/MonsterVisionTM-Panasonic-Projectors-Emitters-BG-BC100/dp/B009DMCEBO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/190-7030270-7943938

The 30K has 1/8" stereo jack, not the 3 PIN Vesa port. It should technically work with a straight through stereo cable on both sides, I'll see if I can find one and give it a try.
post #1602 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ya didnt want to buy ir to rf converter if i didnt have to thanks
post #1603 of 1702 Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason/Seegs,
Do you guys have a Darbee in your chain?
Coming from a high end Benq, I was initially disappointed in the Z30K picture. The Darbee made the difference. Once you put it in the mix, all PJs have a "sharpened/artificial" look. So, if it's there, you are comparing apples to apples, and the Z30K shines. Would I prefer the 2D performance of the Planar over the Sharp without the Darbee? Probably, by a mile...With the Darbee, it's irrelevant to me. YRMV (and probably do).
My $.02.
I have a Darbee but rarely use it. Compared to the Planar there are very few projectors that have a picture that looks as natural. The Planar's 2D picture is shaper with high native and dynamic contrast, better DI, and the picture itself is more natural looking with better color performance. All around it's better but expected at its price point.
post #1604 of 1702 Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I was using the 30K last night to check out some new 3D movies and remembered one of the reasons I like this projector. fast boot up time (better than any of my other projectors) and especially important, fast frequency sync. I'm often jumping around between different content and it's nice not to have to wait. This is the opposite of the new JVC's, the sync is rather slow this year. For most people this isn't a big deal, play a movie, watch a movie. For content jumpers, it's a nice feature.

I have so many lamps for this unit, I'm using it like a TV some days. It seems to have a good cooling system, I don't see any excessive heat that would hurt the projector for long run time. In contrast, the Planar gets very warm with high lamp. I have a feeling this was designed to be ceiling mounted where the bottom of the projector has more room to breath. When table mounted, the angle of the exist path pushes the hot air right down the surface it's sitting on and can get hotter than I would want.
post #1605 of 1702 Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was using the 30K last night to check out some new 3D movies and remembered one of the reasons I like this projector. fast boot up time (better than any of my other projectors) and especially important, fast frequency sync. I'm often jumping around between different content and it's nice not to have to wait. This is the opposite of the new JVC's, the sync is rather slow this year. For most people this isn't a big deal, play a movie, watch a movie. For content jumpers, it's a nice feature.

I have so many lamps for this unit, I'm using it like a TV some days. It seems to have a good cooling system, I don't see any excessive heat that would hurt the projector for long run time. In contrast, the Planar gets very warm with high lamp. I have a feeling this was designed to be ceiling mounted where the bottom of the projector has more room to breath. When table mounted, the angle of the exist path pushes the hot air right down the surface it's sitting on and can get hotter than I would want.

Zombie,
+1 on the boot times. When we sit down to watch a movie, we have wait for the Bluray player to "catch up".
Have you actually tracked your lamp usage? How many hours do you have on a lamp before you change it out?
How many lamps do you have? Did you find a better source than $100 each?
Can you see a noticeable brightness drop? If so, at about how many hours?

As far as the Planar goes, how about a laptop cooler? They are cheap and work well. With many people converting to SSDs, I'll bet there are a lot available on Craigslist for a few bucks...
post #1606 of 1702 Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

As far as the Planar goes, how about a laptop cooler? They are cheap and work well. With many people converting to SSDs, I'll bet there are a lot available on Craigslist for a few bucks...
The idea of modding the Planar with new coolers has struck me as well. But the problem is they're not just coolers, each has a special circuitry to detect temperature and adjust RPM. I'm afraid it's not as simple as swapping a cooler in the computer case.
post #1607 of 1702 Old 05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

The idea of modding the Planar with new coolers has struck me as well. But the problem is they're not just coolers, each has a special circuitry to detect temperature and adjust RPM. I'm afraid it's not as simple as swapping a cooler in the computer case.

I wasn't talking about modding the PJ case. If you had a ceiling mount, then you would need to do something like that.
As I understsnd it, Zombie has his on a shelf mount. Why not just sit the the PJ on the laptop cooler? Simple...
post #1608 of 1702 Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I was using the 30K yesterday and got interrupted a number of times where I had to leave the house. I must have turned it on / off 5 times. After the 3rd time, I realized how quickly the projector shuts down / fan off. This is after running high lamp.

short of an LED, this is the fastest UHP projector I've seen for boot up / shut down. It's quite cool to the touch after it shuts down, they must have a very efficient cooling system.

The Planar, I can fry eggs on for a while until it cools off.
post #1609 of 1702 Old 06-08-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed this too. It shuts off very fast. Not quite as fast as some of the LED units I've had but certainly the fastest for a non-LED unit.
post #1610 of 1702 Old 06-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

This morning, we watched the French Open Men's Final on the Z30K and HP screen.
Nadal won it fot the 9th time...Rafa is a force of nature.
The Sharp handles live sports like a 110" Plasma.
Sometimes I have PJ envy following the JVC and Sony threads, but we could not enjoy the Z30K more.
Thankful to have it. Grateful for all the AVS help. smile.gif
post #1611 of 1702 Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

This is off topic, but I've been away from AVS for a few days. When I tried to link to my subscriptions updates from gmail, nothing would work???
After searching, it's clear (or unclear) that there have been some changes. How can I restore my usual functionality?
Thanks.
post #1612 of 1702 Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
This is off topic, but I've been away from AVS for a few days. When I tried to link to my subscriptions updates from gmail, nothing would work???
After searching, it's clear (or unclear) that there have been some changes. How can I restore my usual functionality?
Thanks.
There is a forum help/faq forum down at the bottom where software issue have been posted.. I saw something similar.. or the same since I don't use this functionality.. There may be a resolution posted.. however I think they changed software vendors and some things may not have been ported over.. Like Avatars.. good luck but you may need to set thing sup again.
post #1613 of 1702 Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=airscapes;24936409]There is a forum help/faq forum down at the bottom where software issue have been posted.. I saw something similar.. or the same since I don't use this functionality.. There may be a resolution posted.. however I think they changed software vendors and some things may not have been ported over.. Like Avatars.. good luck but you may need to set thing sup again.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the "head's up". It will take some adjustments. It's like when you come home from a business trip and someone rearranged all the furniture...

Any new Z30K owners out there? I almost wish that there would be a bunch of new 3D movies. They seem to generate a little interest in the Sharp.

BTW, Please keep the bulb use feedback coming. We like the PJ so much, I've been thinking of buying another bulb while we can presumably still get them.
post #1614 of 1702 Old 06-14-2014, 01:35 PM
fpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today, I went to see the 3D movie "Dolphin Tale" with my family, but the 3D was inverted (inverted right and left eyes).

I went to the 3D menu from Sharp 30K but the Invert option was disabled. My Panasonic TV has a 3D Mode View with the option "invert mode" that allows switch the left and rigth eye Selecting this option allows me to view the movie properly.

Why the "Invert" option is disabled in the Sharp 30K?

Thanks.
post #1615 of 1702 Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does your bluray player have an option for this? I exclusively use the Mede8ter network player for watching 3D and it has the option for the invert built in. I rarely have to use it but do recall it being an issue with this movie.
post #1616 of 1702 Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 AM
fpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Does your bluray player have an option for this? I exclusively use the Mede8ter network player for watching 3D and it has the option for the invert built in. I rarely have to use it but do recall it being an issue with this movie.
I have a Sony 3D bluray player and I thing it has not this option.

You know when the Invert option from the 3D Menu is active in the Sharp 30K?

Another question of the 3D Menu,

The default value of the "3D Depth Adjust" is 0 ? I guess that with the value 0 I see the original 3D appearance.

Thanks.
post #1617 of 1702 Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

We watched 'Man of Steel 3D' the other night, it looked amazing on the 30K. We used the Sharp G20 (adult size) and G30 (smaller size for adults / kids) and they really are about as perfect as it gets for active 3D glasses. I consider them top shelf to every other pair of 3D glasses i've had here (and that is a lot..)

The 30K is nice and sharp in 3D, there is no chance of x-talk on this model even in the most difficult scenes. being HP friendly is a huge bonus for me, it can easily light up 142" 2.8HP with very good perceived brightness through the glasses. My 2nd pick for 3D would be the Sony VW1100, it's very good for a non-DLP but it better be given the cost!!

it's a shame sharp left the home theater business. I'm definitely keeping this projector for a while.
post #1618 of 1702 Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We watched 'Man of Steel 3D' the other night, it looked amazing on the 30K. We used the Sharp G20 (adult size) and G30 (smaller size for adults / kids) and they really are about as perfect as it gets for active 3D glasses. I consider them top shelf to every other pair of 3D glasses i've had here (and that is a lot..)

The 30K is nice and sharp in 3D, there is no chance of x-talk on this model even in the most difficult scenes. being HP friendly is a huge bonus for me, it can easily light up 142" 2.8HP with very good perceived brightness through the glasses. My 2nd pick for 3D would be the Sony VW1100, it's very good for a non-DLP but it better be given the cost!!

it's a shame sharp left the home theater business. I'm definitely keeping this projector for a while.

It's really the best single chip .65" DMD DLP projector made to date IMO and by a fair margin over other .65" projectors. It's 3D performance is really great. Though I wish it had just a tad more contrast for darker 3D films. The newer JVCs are really really good for those types of movies. There's a bit of flicker to the image but for me, my eyes get used to it and don't really notice it after a few minutes.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.
post #1619 of 1702 Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm working on measuring the walls for my velvet curtains today and was using the 30K a lot for general viewing of some concerts. I turned it on / off 6+ times during the course of the day.

I was curious exactly how fast it boots, it's 18 seconds before 1st image appears + full sync to my mede8er home screen and it's at full brightness(over 900+ lumens) by 38 seconds. It takes less than 1 minute to cool down and shut off (48 seconds to be exact)

i'm not worried about the cycles, the lamp seems to be holding up well since I started using it like a TV.

We watched Lego movie 3D and Frozen 3D the other night. Frozen 3D is great reference material to show off the 3D, definitely worth the $39 for the region free copy. it's now available for shipping in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray.../dp/B00FZM8Z7I
post #1620 of 1702 Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
fpr

Quote:
i'm working on measuring the walls for my velvet curtains today and was using the 30K a lot for general viewing of some concerts. I turned it on / off 6+ times during the course of the day.

I was curious exactly how fast it boots, it's 18 seconds before 1st image appears + full sync to my mede8er home screen and it's at full brightness(over 900+ lumens) by 38 seconds. It takes less than 1 minute to cool down and shut off (48 seconds to be exact)

i'm not worried about the cycles, the lamp seems to be holding up well since I started using it like a TV.

We watched Lego movie 3D and Frozen 3D the other night. Frozen 3D is great reference material to show off the 3D, definitely worth the $39 for the region free copy. it's now available for shipping in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray.../dp/B00FZM8Z7I
Zombie10k,

What Mede8er player has you? Is the MED600X3D?

Best regards.

Last edited by fpr; 07-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page