post #1681 of 1702 Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
If you check back in this thread, I think this was specifically addressed at some point...
"Art" at PR (who recommended the Z30K) said that he bounced the 3D/IR signal off of his screen with no issues, but I had some problems when I tried it.
I used the included long cord and mounted the emitter on the ceiling next to the screen, firing forward and down (at 45 degrees) onto the seating area. Worked like a charm.
BTW, I purchased a 1/8 inch headphone extension cord to give me more room to route the IR wire, but ended up with just enough length with the stock cable.

Deja, did you notice any significant brightness drop at 2K hrs?
I have it with a new lamp so I can't check hours. Thanks for the advice on emitter placement.
I think I have the issue resolved by placing the emitter in the center and aiming it towards the screen. I did see Art's advice but when I tried it from the side and back I had issues. I like the idea of placing it on the ceiling. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1702 Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
rwestley, you mentioned that you "have it with a new lamp". Is the Z30K new? If so, where did you get it?
post #1683 of 1702 Old 10-03-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
rwestley, you mentioned that you "have it with a new lamp". Is the Z30K new? If so, where did you get it?
Someone on AVS listed it with a lamp with 17hours on it. I have been looking for this projector to use along side of my JVC 4910 for 3D. I also picked up a few extra lamps from the link in the thread so I should be set for a while. I really like the 3D with this unit. Not ghosting and the Sharp 20 glasses are great. I will save my JVC for 2D viewing.
post #1684 of 1702 Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Someone on AVS listed it with a lamp with 17hours on it. I have been looking for this projector to use along side of my JVC 4910 for 3D. I also picked up a few extra lamps from the link in the thread so I should be set for a while. I really like the 3D with this unit. Not ghosting and the Sharp 20 glasses are great. I will save my JVC for 2D viewing.
Interesting. What did you give for your Z30K?
The JVC4910 is the PJ I would get if I watched only movies.
FWIW, I'm heartened that Jason still uses the Z30K for a lot of "day to day" stuff (plus 3D). He has many to choose from (including the JVC).
Others have said that the JVC is superior for dark films. What's your take? Can the Z30K hold it's own for brighter fare?
We needed a one PJ solution in our set up. We watch a lot of HD sports and the DLP "pop" and sharpness shine.
I have "PJ envy" with your multiple PJ stack. It seems that many in this thread have gone that direction. It's like having a quiver of different arrows for different game...
post #1685 of 1702 Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 366
The JVC/Sharp stack is a great 2D/3D combo. If I didn't have the other models here, I would primarily use the X35 for 2D BD and the Sharp for HDTV and 3D.

I have a lot of stage concerts and dark sci-fi that look amazing on the JVC, the high native contrast stands out with this kind of material.
post #1686 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The JVC/Sharp stack is a great 2D/3D combo. If I didn't have the other models here, I would primarily use the X35 for 2D BD and the Sharp for HDTV and 3D.

I have a lot of stage concerts and dark sci-fi that look amazing on the JVC, the high native contrast stands out with this kind of material.
Can't agree more with Jason. His review is the reason I picked up the Sharp and I want to thank him again. I used the JVC for all films with dark content and the Sharp for everything else. This combo should keep me happy until 4K becomes more available.

Last edited by rwestley; 10-04-2014 at 06:04 AM.
post #1687 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Can't agree more with Jarrod. His review is the reason I picked up the Sharp and I want to thank him again. I used the JVC for all films with dark content and the Sharp for everything else. This combo should keep me happy until 4K becomes more available.
Zombie = Jason = Jarrod? I can't follow who is who on this forum. Guess I'm too old to even keep track of a chat line.
post #1688 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=Deja Vu;27946114]Zombie = Jason = Jarrod? I can't follow who is who on this forum. Guess I'm too old to even keep track of a chat line. [/QUOTE

I am also too old that is why Zombie is better. Watching too many movies keeps me up all night.
post #1689 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Zombie = Jason = Jarrod? I can't follow who is who on this forum. Guess I'm too old to even keep track of a chat line.
Who is Jarrod, the guy from the subway commercials? it's jason..

rwestley, how do you have the projectors stacked? shelf mounted?
post #1690 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who is Jarrod, the guy from the subway commercials? it's jason..

rwestley, how do you have the projectors stacked? shelf mounted?
The are both shelf mounted. The Sharp is mounted above the JVC since the JVC needs a larger shelf.
I got this to replace my Benq 1070 for 3d. The 1070 is good but this seems much better. I watched "Thunder and the House of Magic" upon your recommendation and the 3D was amazing using the Sharp. No flicker or crosstalk. It is too bad that Sharp stopped making this projector. I can't believe how fast it warms up and that there are no HDMI handshake issues.
post #1691 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The are both shelf mounted. The Sharp is mounted above the JVC since the JVC needs a larger shelf.
I got this to replace my Benq 1070 for 3d. The 1070 is good but this seems much better. I watched "Thunder and the House of Magic" upon your recommendation and the 3D was amazing using the Sharp. No flicker or crosstalk. It is too bad that Sharp stopped making this projector. I can't believe how fast it warms up and that there are no HDMI handshake issues.
glad to hear it worked out, I think you got a great deal on a basically brand new projector. These are impossible to find now. Woot sold a ton of these (2 separate times) and that fellow on ebay sold around 30 yet we don't see them being regularly sold, so folks must be happy with their bargain purchase.

it does boot very fast and the HDMI handshaking is one of the quickest I've seen so far.

Thunder and the House of Magic has some intense 3D, great demo material if someone wants to see what 3D can really do. I have a bunch of new 3D movies lined up, not sure where to start..
post #1692 of 1702 Old 10-04-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
glad to hear it worked out, I think you got a great deal on a basically brand new projector. These are impossible to find now. Woot sold a ton of these (2 separate times) and that fellow on ebay sold around 30 yet we don't see them being regularly sold, so folks must be happy with their bargain purchase.

it does boot very fast and the HDMI handshaking is one of the quickest I've seen so far.

Thunder and the House of Magic has some intense 3D, great demo material if someone wants to see what 3D can really do. I have a bunch of new 3D movies lined up, not sure where to start..

Thanks again for the recommendation on the projector and film. I also have a bunch of 3D films to catch up on.
I also send you a PM about something .
post #1693 of 1702 Old 10-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Jason,
I'll echo rwestly and say that we also appreciate your 3D film (and PJs too naturally) recommendations.
I thought about PMing you on this, but figured others might be interested too...

Do you do any 2D to 3D conversion? If so, what hardware/software combination do you use?
The Z30K shines in 3D, but just a few of the 3D films are worth watching, INMO (as movies).
All of the 2D/3D conversion algorithms get "mixed" reviews.
What's your take? Is there any new developments worth paying attention to?
post #1694 of 1702 Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my take on 2D to 3D conversion -- The Mits has the best built-in 2D to 3D converter I've seen. I've tried the 3D Bee, Power DVD 11, 13 and 14, the converters in the Epson 6010 and 6020, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony T.Vs. The Teranex outboard converter is the best 2D to 3D converter I've seen to date (built-in or outboard) but it's around $4,000 (used to be close to $90,000). I convert just about all 2D to 3D using the Teranex. There are many 2D movies that look great converted to 3D by this processor and lots of T.V. shows -- Game of Thrones looks really good converted.

Here's the link to a discussion about the Teranex 3D processor:

Teranex 2D>3D -Not just for Millionaires any More

Last edited by Deja Vu; 10-06-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #1695 of 1702 Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

There you have it, it doesn't get any more hardcore 3D than buying the Teranex.

If I recall correctly, it doesn't support HDCP correct? I believe I read about a number of workarounds
post #1696 of 1702 Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There you have it, it doesn't get any more hardcore 3D than buying the Teranex.

If I recall correctly, it doesn't support HDCP correct? I believe I read about a number of workarounds
You're right it doesn't support HDCP! There are some simple and inexpensive ways around this issue.
post #1697 of 1702 Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Here's my take on 2D to 3D conversion -- The Mits has the best built-in 2D to 3D converter I've seen. I've tried the 3D Bee, Power DVD 11, 13 and 14, the converters in the Epson 6010 and 6020, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony T.Vs. The Teranex outboard converter is the best 2D to 3D converter I've seen to date (built-in or outboard) but it's around $4,000 (used to be close to $90,000). I convert just about all 2D to 3D using the Teranex. There are many 2D movies that look great converted to 3D by this processor and lots of T.V. shows -- Game of Thrones looks really good converted.

Here's the link to a discussion about the Teranex 3D processor:

Teranex 2D>3D -Not just for Millionaires any More
Thanks for the info. $4K is out of reach for us. I would love to see a demo of it...My guess is that if there were more demand, then the price would drop. Does anyone know of a more "cost effective" option in the works?
post #1698 of 1702 Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread about converters that might be helpful:

Best 2d to 3d converter boxes

Unfortunately I don't think there's enough demand for anyone to develop a great 2D to 3D converter at an under $1,000 price tag. The Teranex's price is still too expensive for most and just about everything else on the market (that I have seen) isn't really all that good. It's too bad Mits withdrew from the HT market -- if it had continued to develop its 2D to 3D converter I think it could have been a really big hit among the 3D crowd and would have helped sell a lot of projectors (that's assuming that anyone is still interested in 3D).

Last edited by Deja Vu; 10-07-2014 at 06:49 AM.
post #1699 of 1702 Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

I think that there would be way more interest in 3D if more people could see great 3D on a set up like the Z30K and HP screen.
The passive glasses in the commercial theaters do not do it justice, IMO.
It's a shame that the industry focus seems to be waning. It's on to the next big thing (ie 4K)...
post #1700 of 1702 Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think that there would be way more interest in 3D if more people could see great 3D on a set up like the Z30K and HP screen.
The passive glasses in the commercial theaters do not do it justice, IMO.
It's a shame that the industry focus seems to be waning. It's on to the next big thing (ie 4K)...
i think the majority of 3D content on the 30K / HP looks better than what i've seen in the theater. I'm not a fan of circular polarized glasses. 1 eye sees all the reflections in the theater, the other eye doesn't and it drives my brain nuts trying to ignore it.

think about most set ups you read about on the forum. most screens are near neutral gain. once you get over a certain size, it becomes difficult to light it up adequately in 3D for the models we generally discuss in this 3K+ forum.

imo, for good 3D, it needs to have 3 things. brightness, no x-talk and no flicker. Without all 3, I'd probably sooner just watch the 2D version. the setup has to be right for it look as good as it can.
post #1701 of 1702 Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd chime in with some usage reports, impressions, etc., on the Sharp XV-Z30000.

I bought mine early last summer, about 16 months ago or so. I'm still on the original bulb. As of this morning, I've put 1730 hours on the projector and the bulb life is at 14%. Much to my shock/delight, I have seen no noticeable dip in brightness. I do not have a light meter so I'm basing this observation solely on my eyes, but dammit if she doesn't project a beautiful, bright picture! This projector in combination with the Darbee and my Da-Lite High Power 120" screen, pumps out a picture that is more-often-than-not, STUNNING. I run the PJ on all the full-brightness settings. It's ridiculously awesome. Blu-rays in particular, shine on this setup. I usually demo "Art of Flight", "Prometheus", "Avatar 3D" and the first 10 minutes or so of "Oblivion" which is nut bar. The PQ is sharp (albeit softer on the edges), the black levels are solid despite my addiction to all things bright (that's coming from a Kuro owner), and the color accuracy, to my layman eyes, looks exceptional.

Regarding gaming: I read a bunch of reports of gaming latency on this PJ prior to purchase and I assure you, it's a non-issue if you're a gamer. I beat Dark Souls 2 on this PJ. That should say it all.

I bought 2 of those cheap Chinese lamps that Zombie10K informed us about last year for replacements and haven't had to crack the PJ yet to install one yet. I'm curious what happens when I push this lamp down near 5% and lower, if I'll see a noticeable drop-off in brightness, and if the bulb goes out, is there any damage done to the PJ? I think I'll probably replace the lamp around 5% just to be safe.

All in all, I love this PJ. My family loves the PJ. My friends hate this PJ (because it's not in their home). The Sharp XV-Z30000 has brought hours and hours of enjoyment to my family, neighbors, kids, you name it. 1730 hours of enjoyment in fact.

I see no reason to upgrade until 4K prices drop. For now, I'm in Home Theater Heaven.

Cheers!
post #1702 of 1702 Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd chime in with some usage reports, impressions, etc., on the Sharp XV-Z30000.

I bought mine early last summer, about 16 months ago or so. I'm still on the original bulb. As of this morning, I've put 1730 hours on the projector and the bulb life is at 14%. Much to my shock/delight, I have seen no noticeable dip in brightness. I do not have a light meter so I'm basing this observation solely on my eyes, but dammit if she doesn't project a beautiful, bright picture! This projector in combination with the Darbee and my Da-Lite High Power 120" screen, pumps out a picture that is more-often-than-not, STUNNING. I run the PJ on all the full-brightness settings. It's ridiculously awesome. Blu-rays in particular, shine on this setup. I usually demo "Art of Flight", "Prometheus", "Avatar 3D" and the first 10 minutes or so of "Oblivion" which is nut bar. The PQ is sharp (albeit softer on the edges), the black levels are solid despite my addiction to all things bright (that's coming from a Kuro owner), and the color accuracy, to my layman eyes, looks exceptional.

Regarding gaming: I read a bunch of reports of gaming latency on this PJ prior to purchase and I assure you, it's a non-issue if you're a gamer. I beat Dark Souls 2 on this PJ. That should say it all.

I bought 2 of those cheap Chinese lamps that Zombie10K informed us about last year for replacements and haven't had to crack the PJ yet to install one yet. I'm curious what happens when I push this lamp down near 5% and lower, if I'll see a noticeable drop-off in brightness, and if the bulb goes out, is there any damage done to the PJ? I think I'll probably replace the lamp around 5% just to be safe.

All in all, I love this PJ. My family loves the PJ. My friends hate this PJ (because it's not in their home). The Sharp XV-Z30000 has brought hours and hours of enjoyment to my family, neighbors, kids, you name it. 1730 hours of enjoyment in fact.

I see no reason to upgrade until 4K prices drop. For now, I'm in Home Theater Heaven.

Cheers!
+++1
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread - P65vt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page