Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 63 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1888 Old 03-01-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That is a built in fail safe. Reset the lamp hours in the projector and it will go longer. The larger question is are you still satisfied with its brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1888 Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post
LAMP LIFE.

Well, after using for a couple of years, I finally had to change the lamp (at least the PJ told me it was time.... first with the yellow warning, then the red, then it just shut off).

2050 hours on the original bulb. Sound about right?
I changed mine out somewhere over 2100 hours and it still had something like 10% life left.

Could be your settings though. I have mine in stage mode with high brightness. But maybe other settings can affect it too.
post #1863 of 1888 Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
That is a built in fail safe. Reset the lamp hours in the projector and it will go longer. The larger question is are you still satisfied with its brightness.
well, the new bulb is a little brighter. I'll save the old bulb as a back-up I guess. Thanks for the info!

Got the new one for $296 shipped from an AZ authorized dealer. Better than I could find on Amazon or eBay! (OEM Sharp lamp housing, not some overseas POC)

Now all I need is some smaller 3D glasses for the kids. They don't care of the PS3 glasses. Any recommendations?
post #1864 of 1888 Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 485
The Sharp G30 glasses are perfect for kids or adults with smaller faces

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...s/141392255997

if you look a few posts above, I posted a link to purchase the OEM lamps for around $85 US, you just have to swap the lamp in the original housing, I posted instructions in this thread about a year ago. They work perfect.
post #1865 of 1888 Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I just received the 3 Lichtmond disks that I imported from Germany. Played disk 1 on the Sharp last night and I was amazed with the 3D. They really pushed the envelope with these disks. Thanks for the suggestions to get them. If one wants to see what is possible with 3D these are the disks to show off. If any of you don't have them yet PM me and I can let you know where to get them.
post #1866 of 1888 Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The Sharp G30 glasses are perfect for kids or adults with smaller faces

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...s/141392255997

if you look a few posts above, I posted a link to purchase the OEM lamps for around $85 US, you just have to swap the lamp in the original housing, I posted instructions in this thread about a year ago. They work perfect.
The inexpensive OEM lamps make the Sharp a win. They may be Chinese but they are not POC.

Willie
post #1867 of 1888 Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sharp G20 and G30 glasses are getting scarce, I can't find them new anymore on Amazon. I'm picking up a few extras of each pair from ebay, hopefully they won't have a battery issue.

as a precaution, I'm keeping the existing glasses I have charged up all the time using a charging station with multiple outputs. I wish the other vendors would model their glasses after the G20's, these imo are the perfect 3D glasses.
post #1868 of 1888 Old 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 5 brand new pair of G30 glasses and 1 brand new pair of G20 glasses that I bought from a local Standard TV and Appliance.
I'd be willing to sell them for $40 each if anybody is looking for them.

Media Room - Martin Logan Spires, ML Stage, 4xML Motion 4, 4xML Motion FX, Denon 4520, CJ PV-14L Pre, Innersound ESL-300 Amp, PS Audio PWD, eD a5-350, Sony HW50ES, 130" Dalite JKP 1.3, Dune 3D, Sonos, Logitech Transporter, HTPC, 2xButtKicker, Darbee

Family Room: Samsung 64F8500, Martin Logan Vantages, Motion 15, Motion C2, Motion 2, Marantz SR5007, Sunfire True Sub Jr, Darbee
post #1869 of 1888 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Sharp G20 and G30 glasses are getting scarce, I can't find them new anymore on Amazon. I'm picking up a few extras of each pair from ebay, hopefully they won't have a battery issue.

as a precaution, I'm keeping the existing glasses I have charged up all the time using a charging station with multiple outputs. I wish the other vendors would model their glasses after the G20's, these imo are the perfect 3D glasses.
I am doing the same. I should have 2 G20's a a G30 arriving tomorrow. Hope the batteries are ok.
I have 3 pairs of the 20's with bad batteries and I still can't find a replacement source. They do seem to be getting very scarce and prices seem to be going up.
post #1870 of 1888 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I am doing the same. I should have 2 G20's a a G30 arriving tomorrow. Hope the batteries are ok.
I have 3 pairs of the 20's with bad batteries and I still can't find a replacement source. They do seem to be getting very scarce and prices seem to be going up.
Please keep us posted on the battery issue. I should probably stock up too.
post #1871 of 1888 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Please keep us posted on the battery issue. I should probably stock up too.
Will do but it seems that there are some bad ones out there.
post #1872 of 1888 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Will do but it seems that there are some bad ones out there.
Just for Ducks (U of O); did you or Zombie ever get a voltage on the battery?
post #1873 of 1888 Old Today, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just for Ducks (U of O); did you or Zombie ever get a voltage on the battery?
It might be difficult since there only seem to be numbers on the battery. I am guessing it is 3.4 volts but I could be totally wrong. The other issue is that there are 3 wires on the battery and most similar batteries only have two.
post #1874 of 1888 Old Today, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
It might be difficult since there only seem to be numbers on the battery. I am guessing it is 3.4 volts but I could be totally wrong. The other issue is that there are 3 wires on the battery and most similar batteries only have two.
That's what voltmeters are for
If you can determine the voltage(s), then you can Google them and perhaps come up with a source.
post #1875 of 1888 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what voltmeters are for
If you can determine the voltage(s), then you can Google them and perhaps come up with a source.
I do have a volt meter. When I get a chance I will open a working pair and find out what the voltage is. I was thinking of the dead ones I have.
post #1876 of 1888 Old Today, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I just received two more pairs of the G20's and they both will not hold the charge. I plan to return these immediately.
This is the 5th defective pair I have received. Guess the batteries have been going bad.
post #1877 of 1888 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just received two more pairs of the G20's and they both will not hold the charge. I plan to return these immediately.
This is the 5th defective pair I have received. Guess the batteries have been going bad.
I tried to use my G20s the other night and found them dead as well. I was able to recharge them, but I wondered if they were losing their ability to hold a charge. With some cells, it's possible to rejuvenate them in some way. Perhaps one of our tech members will have a suggestion...
post #1878 of 1888 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried to use my G20s the other night and found them dead as well. I was able to recharge them, but I wondered if they were losing their ability to hold a charge. With some cells, it's possible to rejuvenate them in some way. Perhaps one of our tech members will have a suggestion...
I did try a few tricks that I have used with tablets but so far nothing seems to work with the glasses. I would be open to any suggestions. I have a few pairs of the 30's and have not had this problem. There is something in the manual stating that if one gets quick flashing contact sharp. Doubt if that would do any good at this point.
post #1879 of 1888 Old Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did try a few tricks that I have used with tablets but so far nothing seems to work with the glasses. I would be open to any suggestions. I have a few pairs of the 30's and have not had this problem. There is something in the manual stating that if one gets quick flashing contact sharp. Doubt if that would do any good at this point.
You know, my experience with Sharp tech service was mostly good. The Z30K has an unusually long warranty (a good thing). That means that they may still have some people there that are familiar with the hardware. If nothing else, they may point the way to the OEM of the battery...just a thought.
post #1880 of 1888 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

This month is the 3rd year anniversary of the 30K release, it was released in March of 2012. It's shame they priced it so high upon release, it didn't have a chance when there were good LCOS/SXRD projectors in the 3.5K range at the time.

this was the big upgrade from the Acer 5360 I had back in 2010 which was remarkable in 3D considering it's $500 cost. When I bought my RS40 a year later, I thought something was wrong it from all the x-talk and flicker. And then the expensive VW90 had a similar, relatively poor showing of 3D as well. It took a while for the non-DLP tech to catch up and it's finally good enough for casual 3D viewers. the problem with the DLP is, once you become accustomed to flawless x-talk and no flicker, it's hard to go back. even for the benefit of extra contrast in low APL scenes which I just don't see that often with the 3D content I watch.

There are only 2 HP friendly 3D DLP's in this price range, this and the W7500. I had a W7000 and it was the original replacement for the Acer. 1080P, lens shift, etc. I had an issue with DLP link which BenQ is married to. I think this hurt their projectors because the contrast is further being compromised by the DLP link signal. Sharp was smart to use IR and doesn't have any option for DLP link.

This projector has the most hours of any of my other projectors. very fast boot up, under 1 min cool down and cheap lamps. I am actually trying to 'break' this lamp, sometimes I power cycle the sharp several times a day. for $85, who cares, let's see what happens.
post #1881 of 1888 Old Today, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Zombie, are you using the dynamic iris when you use the projector? At first glance I thought it was a pretty good implementation, but after a few hours of use I found it to a bit clunky around the edges. It's good performance, but not excellent. I also thought there was quite a bit of clipped whites (even more so than the PD8150). As much as I liked the 3D on the projector I just couldn't deal with the limited contrast DLPs give in darker scenes.

I have to say, especially for the price most payed for a new unit with a warranty, this was one of the most bang for the buck projectors ever released and easily the best single chip .65" DLP projector ever released. I'd say the only projector that sold for around this price that gave this much bang for the buck performance was the Mitsubishi HC5. I have one of them here right now. Holy cow, I forgot how nice the image was on this projector. If Mitsubishi just had one more chance with LCoS I think they would have trumped every Sony 1080p projector out there. They just needed to fix a couple things and it would have been close to perfect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #1882 of 1888 Old Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You know, my experience with Sharp tech service was mostly good. The Z30K has an unusually long warranty (a good thing). That means that they may still have some people there that are familiar with the hardware. If nothing else, they may point the way to the OEM of the battery...just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestions. I called Sharp and they do not seem to have the batteries or even the glasses at this time. They will be checking with Memphis tomorrow. That office was closed today because of the weather.
post #1883 of 1888 Old Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The HC5 had some odd issue when clamping down the iris, the whole image uniformity was affected when I clamped it down. I remember a whole discussion on it. 3D was bottom of the barrel for me, basically the same as the VW90. I agree, it's a shame they didn't get a round 2 but the fire sale made it a great bargain for 2D performance.

I mainly watch TV and 3D on the Sharp, I don't really notice any iris issues with this content. I'm not a Harry Potter or LOTR fan, the vast majority of my 3D content is animations, documentaries, etc. I don't run into that many dark scenes where I find it an issue. I still go back and look at the X35/RS46 3D once in a while, it's identical to the 4910/X500, better x-talk than the 40/45/55, but the flicker is maddening for me. The VW1100 3D is a good compromise between JVC's contrast and the Sharp's much better flicker capabilities.
post #1884 of 1888 Old Today, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

btw, I do watch dark scenes in the various animations and movies and think they look fine in 3D on the 30K. Journey to the Mysterious Island 3D has a number of low-mid APL scenes that look good after some gamma tuning in 3D mode. I could see how it would be found lacking in 2D mode low APL scenes, especially vs. the JVC. I watched Dracula Untold recently on the RS46/X35 and it looked excellent.

rwestley - have you watched the Lichtmond 3D BD's on the JVC and Sharp yet? curious to hear your thoughts. I haven't had a chance yet to watch it on any other projectors. It looks flawless on the 30k. I can't get over how aggressive the 3D is.
post #1885 of 1888 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 426
There are a few reference 3D presentations I tried watching on the Z30K where I thought it was just a tad lacking in the contrast department. The Underworld series in 3D, Pacific Rim and the CGI version of A Christmas Carol were all VERY dark movies in general. But you're right in saying that in general it looks fine for darker content. It's one of the better DLPs out there to handle darker content.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #1886 of 1888 Old Today, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
btw, I do watch dark scenes in the various animations and movies and think they look fine in 3D on the 30K. Journey to the Mysterious Island 3D has a number of low-mid APL scenes that look good after some gamma tuning in 3D mode. I could see how it would be found lacking in 2D mode low APL scenes, especially vs. the JVC. I watched Dracula Untold recently on the RS46/X35 and it looked excellent.

rwestley - have you watched the Lichtmond 3D BD's on the JVC and Sharp yet? curious to hear your thoughts. I haven't had a chance yet to watch it on any other projectors. It looks flawless on the 30k. I can't get over how aggressive the 3D is.
I watched Lichtmond 3D disks 1,2,& 3 on the Sharp and it is amazing. The best 3D pop I have ever seen.
I had a few friends over last night and they could not believe it. I will try part 3 on the JVC over the weekend. It has a few very dark scenes and I want to see if the flicker bothers me and if there is any ghosting.
post #1887 of 1888 Old Today, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

hehe, the 3D Underworld was an abomination imo, not even sure it should have been a 3D movie. They should have stopped @ Evolution and called it day for the series. I'll give Rise of the Lycans a partial pass. Awakening was terrible. Same thing as the crappy follow ups to Blade. or Matrix.

Pacific Rim 2 can't come soon enough, Guillermo del Toro gets it. Big robots, big bad guys, lots of action. Although they really should have busted out that big sword in the beginning of the movie.

I thought the CGI in Christmas Carol was creepy looking. Same thing with Polar Express. Neither will be revisited anytime soon here.

Now the trippy Litchmond 3D disks, that is something to show off to people when they come over and want to see what 3D can. There is no way the non-DLP's are going to be able to handle this as well as the Sharp. this is extreme 3D w/ heavy parallax, high contrast scenes, perfect mix for x-talk. or lack thereof on the DLP's.
post #1888 of 1888 Old Today, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'm curious about this problem with the G20 glasses. I bought a new pair from Amazon in November of 2013. Haven't had any issues with them not holding a charge. Could there have been a batch that had defective batteries?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page