Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post
Thanks for that manual (link didn't work, but I found one by Googling)

I noticed that the manual states:

"When the battery is removed, new batteries cannot be installed any more."

I find that difficult to believe. I'm not a trained electrician, but I have replaced "non user replaceable" batteries in small devices many times in the past. If one can locate the correct battery, I can't see why this should be any different. Besides, why throw away such an expensive product for want of a battery?
So do I. I would love to find the correct battery and try to see if I can get my bad glasses to work. At this point they are doing me no good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Good to hear from another Sharp person (PJ humor).
I've been fighting the impulse to buy a JVC 4910 as well. Each time AVS has them in "B" stock, my cc finger twitches. I watch a lot of sports and the Z30K HP combination is stunning.
I keep hoping that Benq or some DLP manu. will step up to 4K and pus the envelope. We can dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Exactly!

It's just speculation and wishful thinking I believe, but there's a thread somewhere talking about how they could use two DMD's to improve performance like light output and contrast ratio without too much more cost. Yes, we can dream...
We would be happy to accommodate you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #1893 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
So do I. I would love to find the correct battery and try to see if I can get my bad glasses to work. At this point they are doing me no good.
I have been looking as well, it seems odd we can't find this specific battery unless sharp had them manufactured specifically for these glasses and then the run was over.

I just ordered another pair of G20's for $20 each on ebay, I am just going to stock up on them for now, I think I have about 10 pair so far now. It may seem odd to obsess over a specific pair of glasses, but I can't tell you how many different glasses i've had here since 2010 and these are my favorite. I've had complaints from guests about the other glasses I've had here, but everyone likes the G20 and G30's.

I bought a few G30's from Stilz as well to add to the collection.
post #1894 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have been looking as well, it seems odd we can't find this specific battery unless sharp had them manufactured specifically for these glasses and then the run was over.

I just ordered another pair of G20's for $20 each on ebay, I am just going to stock up on them for now, I think I have about 10 pair so far now. It may seem odd to obsess over a specific pair of glasses, but I can't tell you how many different glasses i've had here since 2010 and these are my favorite. I've had complaints from guests about the other glasses I've had here, but everyone likes the G20 and G30's.

I bought a few G30's from Stilz as well to add to the collection.
Good luck, hope you get a good pair. I am going to do the same. They are the best 3D glasses out there and I have also tried many different ones.
post #1895 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the compatibility with the Sharp 30K end with the Sharp G30 glasses, or do any newer versions of Sharp 3D glasses work?
post #1896 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post
Does the compatibility with the Sharp 30K end with the Sharp G30 glasses, or do any newer versions of Sharp 3D glasses work?
It does seem that the compatibility with Sharp glasses ends with the G30's. There are many aftermarket glasses that will work but most feel that the G20's and 30's are the best glasses every produced for 3D.
post #1897 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My money is on Zombie to solve the battery issue.
If you do, then I'll probably buy a few more pairs of G20's.
Consider it a challenge...
post #1898 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

not sure on this one, it may be a unique battery considering the size and 3 wire hookup. We should have been able to find it by now.
post #1899 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
not sure on this one, it may be a unique battery considering the size and 3 wire hookup. We should have been able to find it by now.
I've been Googling the 3.7v 3 wire battery and found something interesting:

"It (the 3rd wire) seems to be a temp sensor for the battery. Shuts off charging if it gets too hot. This is on many LION batteries."

I wonder if that's the case with the battery for our Sharp 3D glasses?

Then there's this:

"3 wires means it’s multi-cell (the 3rd wire is for load balancing)"

Last edited by rgrele; 03-06-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Additional info found.
post #1900 of 1985 Old 03-06-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone manufactured the glasses...We need the resident CSI @avs . Some detective work is in order...
post #1901 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, Big Hero 6 3D is available from yesasia.com

http://www.yesasia.com/us/big-hero-6...0-en/info.html

it's a shame no US release but at least it's available. This movie needs to be seen in 3D, the 2D version is a bit of waste given how impressive the 3D is.
post #1902 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 585
They've been doing a lot of this lately. I'm not sure why the US gets no love for 3D blu-ray releases as of late. Frozen was never released in the US as a 3D BD. People had to import it in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #1903 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
FYI, Big Hero 6 3D is available from yesasia.com

http://www.yesasia.com/us/big-hero-6...0-en/info.html

it's a shame no US release but at least it's available. This movie needs to be seen in 3D, the 2D version is a bit of waste given how impressive the 3D is.
$38+shipping?! Yikes! Too rich for my blood. I would love to see this in 3d, but not for that price. Sucks Disney dropped 3d over here. I will just have to settle for the 2d on this one.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 03-07-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #1904 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure why Disney is doing this, I guess 3D is more popular outside the US.

They stopped with the 3D BD's on the Tinkerbell movies altogether with only limited 3D released via streaming which is just SBS. The last movie was clearly made for 3D and it looked very flat / boring in 2D.

i'll let you know about BH6, watching in 2D, it felt like 1/2 the movie was missing since it was easy to see the scenes were set up for heavy 3D.
post #1905 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
$38+shipping?! Yikes! Too rich for my blood. I would love to see this in 3d, but not for that price. Sucks Disney dropped 3d over here. I will just have to settle for the 2d on this one.
I've already got my monies worth out of my 3D Terannex -- all of the movies talked about here and a lot more I'm watching in 3D. For me it's like magic or sci-fi or whatever -- just amazing to me what that processor can do in real time. I watch the news in 2D and that's about it.
post #1906 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

i'd be curious to see a side by side with a conversion of the Terannex vs. the real thing. especially movies that have very noticeable 3D like BH6 or the Lichtmond series. How does it handle negative parralax?
post #1907 of 1985 Old 03-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
i'd be curious to see a side by side with a conversion of the Terannex vs. the real thing. especially movies that have very noticeable 3D like BH6 or the Lichtmond series. How does it handle negative parralax?

I don't think it does negative parallax if I remember correctly from DejaVu's posts.

post #1908 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Having lived with the Teranex for some time now here are my thoughts.

If you want extreme studio-like 3D the Teranex is not for you. In my opinion studio 3D is very exaggerated -- the distances between objects and other objects and people seem increased to me (more separation than I see in the real world). Negative parallax again is not what I experience in my real life 3D visual world; however, I do like the effect. For 2D directors often use techniques and strategies to convey the "feel" they want for a particular movie -- i.e. filters, grain, fades, etc. I believe directors do the same when using 3D -- certain angles to covey more depth, negative parallax to shock or surprise, things floating in the air (dust, flower pedals, etc.) and so on to enhance the sense of depth. What the Teranex does is provide very real looking 3D -- behind the screen, which gives the impression that you are literally looking through a window into the world created by the director -- objects are all correctly placed with a very natural sense of depth, which draws you into the story. I have compared studio 3D with the 2D version of the same movie converted to 3D in real time by the Teranex. All the positive parallax scenes are very close; however, you can quickly discern the differences due to scenes with negative parallax. With the Teranex if a character points a sword towards you what you see is what you would expect to see in the real 3D world. With the studio 3D what you often get is the end of the sword protruding out of the screen and towards your face -- nice effect but not very realistic. What the Teranex does is give you 3D without the "art or enhancements" added by the director or those responsible for the final "look". I prefer the "art"; however, what the Teranex does is shockingly effective -- to do what it does in real time is jaw dropping. I certainly prefer the 3D produced by the Teranex to 2D -- after you watch 3D from the Teranex 2D looks, well, flat. The down side is the loss of brightness compared to 2D but once again I've minimized that by using a 2.8 gain HP screen and positioning all my projectors to take full advantage of that gain.

What I find interesting is that regular guests along with my wife prefer the Teranex 3D to 2D, which surprised me some since everyone has to wear glasses. I was expecting some resistance but instead if I started a movie in 2D I was asked why we weren't watching it in 3D because that's what everyone wanted. Quite an endorsement for the Teranex. (In the past if I used software or a hardware 3D conversion solution my wife would often object -- since I've been using the Teranex the only comments I get from her is how impressed she is with the 3D!)

Last edited by Deja Vu; 03-08-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #1909 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the explanation DejaVu and after reading that, I know the Teranex is not for me, especially for the price!

I'm definitely one that has a preference for strong, even exaggerated 3d for both positive and negative parallax as I find even most studio 3d to be to conservative for my tastes. I would love it if 3d in general was as aggressive as the Lichtmond series for example or something like Monsters Vs Aliens. The fact that the Teranex can't even do negative parallax is a deal killer alone for me. I want the sword coming out of the screen into the room.

I was finally able to see Art of Flight 3d last night and as much as I enjoyed it, I often was wanting a more aggressive use of 3d in general. I would have loved to see those rooster tails of snow for example fly out of the screen as they came toward the camera not to mention stronger depth as well. 3d certainly enhanced the already amazing experience of that film/audio track, but it was a bit too subtle for my taste which is commonly the case. I personally feel this is a big reason 3d is dying as it is just too conservative in general.

Last edited by Toe; 03-08-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #1910 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought they did a good job with the AOF 3D conversion but it could have been better if they did it natively. I recently watched some skiing footage from a member here who used a dual GoPro setup and it looked great. They should have rigged 2 of those red cameras together on a mount and used the dual GP setup for the first person shots.

my favorite part is the scenes with the Young Blood soundtrack in the background. They timed the scenes perfectly for this great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdO85Qf4Poc#t=33

There is nothing quite like those Lichtmond disks for 'in yo face' 3d...
post #1911 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Totally agreed on that Young Blood section! So good and gives me chills every time. I think they were in Jackson Hole during that part? This film/HT experience never gets old for me and really happy to have it in 3d now.

Agreed on Lichtmond. I have the other two on the way and looking forward to checking them out.

post #1912 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was finally able to see Art of Flight 3d last night and as much as I enjoyed it, I often was wanting a more aggressive use of 3d in general. I would have loved to see those rooster tails of snow for example fly out of the screen as they came toward the camera not to mention stronger depth as well. 3d certainly enhanced the already amazing experience of that film/audio track, but it was a bit too subtle for my taste which is commonly the case. I personally feel this is a big reason 3d is dying as it is just too conservative in general.
I think the "3D is dying" mantra is restricted geographically to North America rather than worldwide. It's big in China, Germany and some other places like my home theatre. You may be right about the fact that most people need to have things right in their face to get their attention and this seems to apply to 3D as well.

I put a small led light at the edge of my screen just to help determine how much negative parallax there was in most 3D movies. Using it as a reference I was shocked at how much negative parallax there is in a lot of these films -- things that don't particularly look as if they're protruding from the screen actually are. Of course there are the obvious ones like the gun or sword waived in your face; however, there are many, many instances where objects are subtly placed just beyond the screen out into the room. I believe this adds to the overall impact of the movie as a 3D film even though it isn't particularly obvious.

With so much negativity surrounding 3D (from those I suspect who have never seen it displayed properly) it's nice to find a place where some (probably not more that a dozen or so) people actually appreciate and find value in it.
post #1913 of 1985 Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I think the "3D is dying" mantra is restricted geographically to North America rather than worldwide. It's big in China, Germany and some other places like my home theatre. You may be right about the fact that most people need to have things right in their face to get their attention and this seems to apply to 3D as well.

I put a small led light at the edge of my screen just to help determine how much negative parallax there was in most 3D movies. Using it as a reference I was shocked at how much negative parallax there is in a lot of these films -- things that don't particularly look as if they're protruding from the screen actually are. Of course there are the obvious ones like the gun or sword waived in your face; however, there are many, many instances where objects are subtly placed just beyond the screen out into the room. I believe this adds to the overall impact of the movie as a 3D film even though it isn't particularly obvious.

With so much negativity surrounding 3D (from those I suspect who have never seen it displayed properly) it's nice to find a place where some (probably not more that a dozen or so) people actually appreciate and find value in it.
Very interesting about the small LED light at the edge of your screen! I might try this out. What did you use exactly?

Yeah, that comment was meant in reference to NA. It seems like 3d is still going strong in some other parts of the world.

post #1914 of 1985 Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very interesting about the small LED light at the edge of your screen! I might try this out. What did you use exactly? .
I have an led nightlight that glows white. I taped it to the top of my screen's casing in line with the screen so I could actually see exactly where the screen's border was in relation to the 3D image -- I was really surprised at just how many times negative parallax is used in some 3D movies (and more movies than I would have guessed).

Toe -- you're one of the reasons I'm still posting on this forum (along with five or six other regular posters). I don't always agree 100% with your position but I certainly respect your comments because they're honest, respectful, inquisitive and knowledgeable -- you are a real asset to this place.
Toe likes this.
post #1915 of 1985 Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I have an led nightlight that glows white. I taped it to the top of my screen's casing in line with the screen so I could actually see exactly where the screen's border was in relation to the 3D image -- I was really surprised at just how many times negative parallax is used in some 3D movies (and more movies than I would have guessed).

Toe -- you're one of the reasons I'm still posting on this forum (along with five or six other regular posters). I don't always agree 100% with your position but I certainly respect your comments because they're honest, respectful, inquisitive and knowledgeable -- you are a real asset to this place.
Thanks my friend and I very much appreciate the kind words! Hope you know feelings are mutual and I have really enjoyed talking with you over the years and have a lot of respect for your knowledge in this hobby and all you contribute.

Thanks again for the led night light trick. Going to hunt one down on Amazon or locally and try this out!
Deja Vu likes this.

post #1916 of 1985 Old 03-10-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's time for a group hug from the dozen or so remaining 3D enthusiasts on the forum. make sure and including Joseph Clark, Barry C and Don L. these guys are die-hard 3D content creators.
Toe and Deja Vu like this.
post #1917 of 1985 Old 03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested in 3D and would like a simple and effective way to determine how much negative (and positive) parallax there is in a particular 3D film I would suggest you start the movie and then put your projector's menu up on the screen and leave it there for awhile. The menu will be the reference for the screen's plane. I think you will be somewhat surprised at how much of a 3D image appears to be projected out past the screen (as located by the menu) and at the same time it will also give you a good sense of the amount of depth the movie has. Obviously you'll not want to leave the menu up for long but I believe you'll find it an interesting test for positive and negative parallax.
Toe, rgrele and biliam1982 like this.
post #1918 of 1985 Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any progress on the battery front? How about the ebay G20's? Will the batteries hold a charge?
post #1919 of 1985 Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Any progress on the battery front? How about the ebay G20's? Will the batteries hold a charge?
I got two from one seller and had to return them. The batteries would not hold a charge.
I ordered a few more and they are coming today. I asked the seller to test them. Hoping that these will work. I still have 3 pairs with the bad batteries and have not been able to find a replacement.

I also noticed that a ebay seller has several available with dead batteries and is selling them for parts.

On another note I ordered two lamps from the suggested seller in China and they arrived. The problem is that they don't seem to be original brand bulbs. They don't have the mesh as advertised in the picture. Wondering if the original lamp is also becoming difficult to get?

Last edited by rwestley; 03-14-2015 at 04:20 AM.
post #1920 of 1985 Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you post a photo of the lamp? I have close ups of the original lamps I received last year.

it's possible those batteries were a custom order for that specific physical size to fit in the glasses. I think the blue wire could be for temp sensor, the voltage indicates they are still single cell if we compare the voltage to LIPO batteries that I use for my quads. (3.7 single, 7.2, dual, 11.1 triple cell, etc)

i've been lucky that all the ebay G20's I received seem ok, they take a full charge. I'm going to keep them charged up when not in use to see if it helps.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page